• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSEED announces E3 line-up [Trails of Cold Steel, PopoloCrois, Estival Versus]

Buying:
Legend of Heroes
Onechanbara (already preordered)
Estival

Maybe:
EDF - Will definitely buy at least one, just not sure which, yet. Xseed should do a double pack to solve my problem
Corpse Party - Still haven't played the original, but will buy someday if I like the first

I was a little bummed about the lack of games to play this fall. Now there's too many.

Awesome. EDF4.1 will probably be the best game of 2015. (MGS5 still has a chance)

I'm interested in Corpse Party, Trails, and maybe Senran and Onechanbara, but EDF2 is the only game I'm getting ASAP.

18-Volt

Please! Falcom is too protective of their unreleased games to even let us see that one yet. But we're at least excited to play it when they finally do lift the veil! ;)

-Tom

But you can't say same thing for Luminous Arc Infinity or Net High, right? Can we expect localization announcements for those titles before their Japanese release just like PoPoLoCrois?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'll assume you guys were able to get the DLC for Estival Versus involving Ayane from Dead or Alive & the 3 characters from Ikki Tousen. But will they be spaced out similar to Japan, or will they be released with a shorter time span between the game's launch compared to Japan?

Also, while I'm thinking about it, will we get the latest patch on the disc/cartridge, meaning any bug fixes & Daidouji and Rin already included since they were free with a patch?

Etria

These announcements make my day! :D

Trails of Cold Steel is a day one purchase for sure. More Falcom goodness is never more appreciated. You guys are awesome!

SephLuis

XSEED making everyone bankrupt one localization at a time.

Amazing work.

Will get Estival Versus and Trails for sure. Will try to pick up at least one of the EDF.

Vylash

reading the localization blog

However, there does exist a Japanese PC port of Trails to Zero and a Chinese PC port of Trails to Azure. This means that, theoretically, we could go back to the duology at any time if the series remains successful, since Trails in the Sky has found new life on PC in the west. PC love won’t be falling out of fashion any time soon.

HOPE LIVES!

BMTR

Neo Member
Based Xseed

definitely buying the three trails games and Corpse Party day 1
Corpse Party for a 16 bits horror game its up there with Resident Evil remake, Silent hill 1 and 2 as my favourite in this genre
and despite how boring the first tits was, "still struggling to finish it" Im hyped for the second chapter and the two PS3 games
it had the potential to be good and I cant get enough of Falcom god tier musics

well I think there is nothing left for me to look forward to in E3 other than a trailer for YS8 and
a surprise from Atlus which is a console shin megami tensei game using persona 5 models
tales festival tomorrow
not expecting much

Jathaine

Ya dun gud, XSEED.

I'm personally only eyeing Estival Versus and the Trails games at the moment but the excitement for the other games here and around the rest of the net that I've seen so far has me interested in at least looking at them.
Unfortunately, the 3DS games are definitely out for me (Sorry Tamsoft, won't be getting SK2) since I have no plans to purchase one but everything else is a possible winner! I might even retry Ark even though I didn't really enjoy it on PSP.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Only vaguely familiar with EDF. Will have to check it out but it's not something I've ever found myself interested in before.

Tom seems to be trying to sell me on Return to PopoloCrois with his 90s RPG talk. The Bokujo Monogatari stuff doesn't really interest me though.

And I guess I'll pick up the Cold Steel games in order to support the series, but I'll probably just keep them sealed until we have some hard details about what's going on with the other games in the series. I don't really care about Cold Steel as a standalone thing, but I'd be willing to play it to continue the series. If we don't get the others I will probably at least be able to sell them and make my money back since they will probably have pretty limited print runs.

Yep, it is!

-Tom

Thanks for the answer! In that case, I know what I'll play the next weekends (Brandish on European PSN question a few pages back)

Holy shit.

Pls invent a pal branch, i don't want to have to import :(

Yeah, that would be cool. Liked when Ghostlight put out a Trails in the Sky LE and I am glad we now have the NISA store for Europe, it's fast and convenient and I ordered stuff there before, but it's also very expensive with shipping and taxes if you're not from UK...

Thank you Tom and XSEED. I am in Day 1 for all of them, and I don't even have a PS4 yet. I should be asleep right now, but I can't sleep. I am too wired from all these announcements.

As far as I'm aware (not 100% sure), it goes: Burst -> 2: Dark Crimson -> Shinovi Versus -> Estival Versus, with the Versus (Playstation) games being considered spinoffs to the main (3DS) series (in a very liberal sense). Shinovi Versus (lightly) builds upon what happened during the Events of Burst, but ignores 2, even though, timeline-wise, 2 happens in between Burst and Shinovi.

In the end you can start with whatever game you want, because it's not THAT important. Of note is that Burst is a sidescrolling beat'em'up while the Versus games take it to full 3D, with 2 also being a 3D Brawler (though different from the Versus series, iirc).

I've only played Burst and Shinovi so far, because I waited for a western release of 2 and Estival. Personally, I liked Burst a lot (probably more than Shinovi). It is a bit less 'refined' though, and has framerate problems. I'd still recommend it as a starting point, though I don't think you should judge the whole franchise on its basis. If you end up not liking it, I'd still urge you to give Shinovi (or 2 or Estival) a go.

Oh, and fanservice-wise, Burst is a bit tamer than Shinovi, if that's of importance to you.

Timeline-wise it goes Burst > Crimson > Shinovi > Estival but you can really ignore that because the games aren't that heavy in story, it's more about the interactions between the girls, the combat
and the boobs.
Go for it, they're very, very nice video games.
Alright thanks!

I'll start with Burst and bust my way through the series if I like it. Just seems like a fun/funny series overall and been wanting to get into it so will start on it soon.

Jathaine

Alright thanks!

I'll start with Burst and bust my way through the series if I like it. Just seems like a fun/funny series overall and been wanting to get into it so will start on it soon.

Fair warning, Burst has some technical problems such as framerate issues and so on. These are ironed out in later installments and of course they continue to refine and try to improve the gameplay as they go along (though I feel there's a few small missteps here and there, nothing major)

Either way, its my opinion that skipping Burst miiiiight not be a terrible thing but its certainly not a bad game either.

Using Haccan's artwork for TitS vs. what's shown for ToCS is rather lopsided, lol. I wonder if he'll get commissioned to do more illustrations for the franchise later on.

Dio

Banned
Using Haccan's artwork for TitS vs. what's shown for ToCS is rather lopsided, lol. I wonder if he'll get commissioned to do more illustrations for the franchise later on.

I really want them to bring back Katsumi Enami, her art for Zero and Ys Seven was great. I loved her Adol design for Seven.

That's a pretty great line-up. Definitely excited for more Trails and Popolocrois.

I do still really hope that we get the Trails games that have been skipped over one day. It's such a complicated situation, but I want to experience the whole series.

Shizuka

I think this is the most legendary lineup I've ever seen from the four niche localization publishers (NISA, Aksys, Atlus USA and XSEED). Bravo, XSEED!

Shinriji

I think this is the most legendary lineup I've ever seen from the four niche localization publishers (NISA, Aksys, Atlus USA and XSEED). Bravo, XSEED!

Square Winter of RPG (1998), with Parasite Eve, Xenogears, Bushido Blade 2 and Brave Fencer Musashi in just 3 months were better.

Then again, 1998 was the best year for gaming of all time.

Fair warning, Burst has some technical problems such as framerate issues and so on. These are ironed out in later installments and of course they continue to refine and try to improve the gameplay as they go along (though I feel there's a few small missteps here and there, nothing major)

Either way, its my opinion that skipping Burst miiiiight not be a terrible thing but its certainly not a bad game either.
I played Bayonetta on PS3. Frame rate problems mean nothing to me. And I like to go in order so I'll start with Burst. Thanks for the info tho so I won't be shocked by it. :p

Mawarup

Neo Member
YES! This news made my year!!! Can't believe we are getting more than 1 Kiseki game this year! Oh man surprised to hear that Trails of Cold Steel was coming out this soon considering I had an idea that the translation of those games were going to take some time to get done with but I guess they have been keeping it under wraps? Anyway confirmation on both 1 and 2 Sen no Kiseki is fantastic! (its going to take a bit for me to start calling it cold steel :p)

So are Cold Steel series "smaller" (I.E. text) games than SC?

And I know I am jumping the gun big time considering how long it has taken SC, but I wonder how this will bode for TC?

Top Bottom