• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xsx and xss confirmed to be Wifi 5

New informations from xbox website:

Xbox Series S | X has confirmed to be Wi-Fi 5 .
Weight 9.8 lbs. for Series X and 4.25 lbs for Series S

For reference ps5 is WiFi 6

FYI PS5 featuring Wifi6 isn't official info right? It was just a patent filed correct? As for Series S and X tell me why Wifi5 isn't more than enough?

Cyborg

Wifi 6 is the future for sure also PS5 has USB C and Xbox doesnt. In my honest opinion I couldnt care less about those options. I can understand that some care but my PS4 connected with a cable and current USB solution works just fine (a bit slow) but thats why I have 3-4 controllers.

Not patent fcc rating . (They r rating the hardware basically)

giphy.gif

Now shall we not start a unnecessary debate between which one is better?

yurinka

Wifi 6 is better yes?
Yes.

Wifi 6 improves the wifi technology to a point that for the first time in console wifi vs wired history, with a wifi 6 router allows up to 20-50% higher speed than with a console gigalan wired connection (real world tests, not theorical peaks) and similar ~1ms latency and stability (as reference, wifi 4 had ~10ms and was very unstable, wifi 5 became ~5ms and very stable), plus extra protection against interferences from neighbor wifis, higher coverage range and better handling of having multiple devices connected inside the same wifi.

As it happens with wifi 5 or wired, to take advantage of that new technology you'll need a router that supports it, it's properly configured and isn't too far from the console and some other things like using a non-gigabit lan cable or damaged cable, having multiple walls between the router and the console, etc.

But at least for Remote Play it's a game changer since day 1 if you have a wifi 6 phone, tablet or PC in the same room, and will be future proof for when the wifi 6 routers start to be more common (at that point will be a game changer for PSNow and online multiplayer too, because around 2/3 of the people play online using wifi), because the first ones were released last/this year so as of now they are too new and expensive, so until a year or two they will continue being maybe too expensive.

Last edited:
While it may be “official” soon, WiFi 6 is still a draft. Outside of routers, you don’t sell mainstream consumer electronics products based on “draft” specifications.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
not an issue for me. i only play over ethernet which is far superior experience.

While it may be “official” soon, WiFi 6 is still a draft. Outside of routers, you don’t sell mainstream consumer electronics products based on “draft” specifications.

there are smartphones with WiFi 6 already tho. there is the iPhone, Oneplus, Huawei, Samsung, LG, Motorola. and some laptops have it.

WiFi 6 is already being replaced with WiFi 6E. WiFi 6 only works on 2.4/5GHz whereas 6E will work on 6GHz.

Last edited:
not an issue for me. i only play over ethernet which is far superior experience.

there are smartphones with WiFi 6 already tho. there is the iPhone, Oneplus, Huawei, Samsung, LG, Motorola. and some laptops have it.

WiFi 6 is already being replaced with WiFi 6E. WiFi 6 only works on 2.4/5GHz whereas 6E will work on 6GHz.

I see your point, but those aren’t true WiFi 6 devices though. They may function on WiFi 6 or meet most of the standard, but nothing is “truly” WiFi 6 because the standard isn’t finalized yet. It’s like playing the beta of a game. You’re playing the game, sort of, ...but not really, cause the game hasn’t released yet.

There may be no practical difference when WiFi 6 is formally released. I’ve bought “draft” routers that worked just fine and I could never tell a difference.

Allandor

There is always a difference between min-specs and max-specs. Current devices are surely not using the ax max specs.

For the Wifi 5 vs 6

who cares? After one or two walls, every wifi signal is so low and back to 2.4 ghz it doesn't really make a difference.

Cable is still the thing to use (if possible). Wifi 6 might lower latencies, but that is only the best case scenario. When you count more than 16 WLAN routers around you and even 5ghz is heavily populated (but signal is more or less useless after a wall) than it still makes no difference.

when was the last time I get a wireless 1Gbps connection via my AC router ... oh I know, it never happend ^^

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
WiFi 5 - up to 3.5 Gbps
WiFi 6 - up to 9.6 Gpbs
That's almost 300%. But the real benefit of WiFi 6 is the number of devices you can connect without having problems. In 5-6 years near the generation end this might be an important feature.

Considering 1Gbps is pretty much the fastest internet connection you can get across the globe, while most people are actually sitting on 100/150/300Mbps connection, there's no real-life benefits of Wifi6, maybe a slightly lower latency, but for god's sake people, use ethernet if you wanna play online.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
This is from Wifi-6 article, it's still shit. Who is going to be 5 feet from router? That's like 2é hamburgers I think.
mesh-router-top-speeds.jpg

M1chl

People playing VR. But that's above Xbox technology level.
I am not sure what you are refering to, I am totally out of VR world, people are playing VR on WI-FI?

I don't argue, that wi-fi 5 is better than 6, I am just saying it's shit in general. And bold claims about how much better next wi-fi is going to be and that never happened.

TheContact

WiFi 6 is nutty. In December of last year I got a WiFi 6 router, and my laptop is WiFi 6. The speeds are very close to being plugged in via Ethernet

If you have any clue about why wired is better than wireless, you wouldn't even quote me. But since you did, go ahead and tell us why wifi 6 is better than wired, even on a router that isn't wifi 6 compatible. I'll be here waiting. Ready for your shitshow.

If your console is in a location with no Ethernet and you don’t have a powerline box, WiFi is really convenient. WiFi 6 is so fast that Ethernet becomes less of a requirement, though plugging in is still faster at the moment. MS not included WiFi 6 is kinda baffling tbh

Last edited:

FeiRR

Banned
I am not sure what you are refering to, I am totally out of VR world, people are playing VR on WI-FI?

I don't argue, that wi-fi 5 is better than 6, I am just saying it's shit in general. And bold claims about how much better next wi-fi is going to be and that never happened.
Yes, VR headsets without cables have been around for a while, for example HTC Vive. WiFi is fine but if your only knowledge is what you can google in 5 seconds, there's no point talking to you about technical stuff.

M1chl

Yes, VR headsets without cables have been around for a while, for example HTC Vive. WiFi is fine but if your only knowledge is what you can google in 5 seconds, there's no point talking to you about technical stuff.
What I worked at networks and shit, before. I am well versed about wi-fi, however I don't know about VR. It's not really a point in talking with sucha smug fuck, I agree.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Both seem like valid approaches to me.

Sony is future proofing nicely, and Microsoft is probably looking at things like this to keep the price of their 12 TF system down, and may add it to the X down the line.

I’m curious to see what this Wi-Fi 6 is all about, and how it performs. This is the first I’ve heard of it, and I certainly don’t follow the Wi-Fi magazines and websites, hahaha, but if it can get meaningfully closer to wired performance, well, that would be awesome.

LokusAbriss

A connection through an ethernet cable will work 365 days a year, without any problems and with consistent speeds.

Whatever new wifi standard comes out every couple of years, it can never compete with a cable.

5 Ghz was a great upgrade, but signal strength, speed and other problems still remain.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
What I worked at networks and shit, before. I am well versed about wi-fi, however I don't know about VR. It's not really a point in talking with sucha smug fuck, I agree.

Man, I really love FeiRR FeiRR (no homo), and love you (homo :lollipop_tears_of_joy: ). Let's calm down, no need to take things personal. I know we can get angry sometimes. Hope all the best for both of you.🙏🙌

TheContact

A connection through an ethernet cable will work 365 days a year, without any problems and with consistent speeds.

Whatever new wifi standard comes out every couple of years, it can never compete with a cable.

5 Ghz was a great upgrade, but signal strength, speed and other problems still remain.

why are you comparing wifi to ethernet? 5Ghz existed in wifi 5 regardless. wifi 6 is a massive upgrade over wifi 5, and not everyone has access to an ethernet cable next to their console. anyone defending MS not including wifi 6 is not being objective here.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I'll survive.

I though I am the more important one in here, sad.

I have a big heart that fits all of you. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:🙌 But I don't like my boyfri... I mean friends fighting here.:messenger_hushed:

Was there this much concern trolling when the PS4 didn't support 5ghz WIFI?

That's the point, PS4 wireless is shit. I use Ethernet, personally. So going forward, we need better, both should aim for the better.

Last edited:

TBiddy

why are you comparing wifi to ethernet? 5Ghz existed in wifi 5 regardless. wifi 6 is a massive upgrade over wifi 5, and not everyone has access to an ethernet cable next to their console. anyone defending MS not including wifi 6 is not being objective here.

Or maybe people are just being realistic about Wifi6.

LokusAbriss

Wifi 6 doesnt fix any problems. Signal strengh and stability are not really fixed. Wifi 5 already offers 1,3 Gbit/s, which is more than enough. Faster is always better, but one has to show me where wifi 5 is a bottleneck. And the high transfer rate for wifi 6 (10-11 Gbit/s) is only theoretical.

It would be ideal for VR and local heavy bitrate streaming, but latency and stability will not be there for years to come.

TBiddy

They are being delusional. Wi-Fi 6 curbstomps Wi-Fi 5 which is already quite good actually.
PS5 is future proof. Remote play and possibly Wireless VR? Brutal.

Remote play doesn't require wifi 6. Wireless VR? Maybe. What are you basing it on?

Wifi6 is nice and all, but it's not a game changer.

FeiRR

Banned
Then you should know that WiFi 6 is an important upgrade, especially for latency which is paramount for cloud gaming. So is it important or not? Microsoft saved maybe 50 cents, maybe a dollar on that component, sad truth.

M1chl

Then you should know that WiFi 6 is an important upgrade, especially for latency which is paramount for cloud gaming. So is it important or not? Microsoft saved maybe 50 cents, maybe a dollar on that component, sad truth.
Again I agree about wi-fi 5 being inferior to wi-fi 6 that I don't deny obviously. I just think that wi-fi still has not reached maturity and stability as a substitute for ethernet cable. That was my main argument. If it's used for VR, few feet from Console then obviously wi-fi 6 is huge deal. But I was not made aware beforehand that this was the case. I though it's wired.

FeiRR

Banned
Again I agree about wi-fi 5 being inferior to wi-fi 6 that I don't deny obviously. I just think that wi-fi still has not reached maturity and stability as a substitute for ethernet cable. That was my main argument. If it's used for VR, few feet from Console then obviously wi-fi 6 is huge deal. But I was not made aware beforehand that this was the case. I though it's wired.
WiFi 6 has lower latency AND maximum speed than CAT-5e Ethernet. Now what's your twist?

M1chl

WiFi 6 has lower latency AND maximum speed than CAT-5e Ethernet. Now what's your twist?
Stability jitter, blind spots in your home and that kind of stuff. I have Ubifi solution with wi-fi 5 and it's not really great despite have it as a mesh network and have 4 mesh antenas in the home. I just don't see this to be fixed in next iteration.

Lower latency than cable, I highly doubt that. Any receipts?

Last edited:

CrysisFreak

Banned
To the not so techy people itc: Don't listen to the copers, Wi-Fi is perfectly fine to use unless you're too far away from the router.
Feel free to continue using Wi-Fi for all you need.

Signed, literally working in wireless R&D.

Reactions: GHG

beck_

Wifi6 in PS5 will mean much better remote play (when connecting direct PS5 <-> wifi6 enabled device), I also expect PSVR2 to connect direct to PS5 using wifi6.

Also, in case people didn't know why wifi6 is so much better then wifi5, providing you have a wifi6 router..

1) Other networks sharing the same channel no longer impact your network due to wifi6 router being able to ignore them.
2) Wifi6 devices will send/receive data to router in parallel rather then 'waiting their turn' (as per wifi5 and below). This is huge!
3) All the other benefits in latency, speed etc.

FeiRR

Banned
Stability jitter, blind spots in your home and that kind of stuff. I have Ubifi solution with wi-fi 5 and it's not really great despite have it as a mesh network and have 4 mesh antenas in the home. I just don't see this to be fixed in next iteration.

Lower latency than cable, I highly doubt that. Any receipts?
You don't see how a new standard is better than its previous version? What kind of comment is that?

With latency it's simple: your cable would be plugged into the router, then another to the console. At the same time, the VR headset will communicate directly with the console, without the latency of the router, peer to peer, a better solution and without cables.

Top Bottom