• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSX owners: What're you playing on your new consoles? | Help us amend our understanding of the XSX launch options.

What're your playing on your xBox Series X?

• Next Gen titles (AC:V, the like)

Votes: 30 17.9%
  • XBOne, X, titles

Votes: 45 26.8%
  • 360 titles

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • OG xBox titles

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • All of the above

Votes: 76 45.2%

• Total voters

Kimahri

Banned
I don't even want a PS5 at this point. Xbox gives me all I could want. It gives me access to tons of older games, along with new games. That something is exclusively next gen means nothing to me, so I don't care.

I wil of course get a PS5 down the line for exclusives, but until then, I'm in no rush. Xbox gives me access to old and new games very, very cheaply. People who pay thousands for a scalped PS5 are lunatics. Get xbox, gamepass and a new tv why don't you. You'd leave happier.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
All of the Above for me.

I started with Jedi FO from Game Pass - Last Gen. Looked so beautiful and ran really smooth on the Series X - I really loved that game.

Then I moved on to Gears Tactics on Game Pass - Current Gen. I was really enjoying it. It's a beautiful game and even though it's an RTS it still has that great Gears personality.

While playing Gears Tactics I kept reading about a lot of people having really loud disc noise on the PS5 and thought I should make sure my Series X didn't have a similar issue. The 1st game box I grabbed was my favorite game of all-time, Fallout 3

I'm fortunate that my drive is silent but after hearing just the intro music, I'm back in the Capitol Wasteland with Quick Resume and loving the fact that loading times on death, fast travel or entering a bldg. is 1 second or less. It's SOOOO great to be able to play a much improved Fallout 3 - Xbox 360 Gen on my Series X.

Maybe after I finish Fallout and Gears Tactics, I'll play Knights of the Old Republic just to cover ALL of the Xbox generations on 1 console.

ThirdC

RDR2
AC Odyssey
CoD Cold War
FIFA
Division 2
Skyrim 😬

So all of the above. I‘ve also a PS5 but being able to play all my started gameplays without flaws and cloud sync on the Xbox is just wonderful. And because CoD has crossplay I am seriously considering selling my PS5.

Guys give HALO 5 a try, It looks incredible with auto HDR and since it had a dynamic resolution before, now we are seeing it in true 4k which makes it pin sharp. I had a lot of fun with it and really impressed visually.
Soul Caliber and Killer Instinct now have HDR also

The Alien

Banned
Gears 5:
With all the new content (campaign, MP, etc.) dropping, bunch of friends have been playing. Game looks great. Plays great. XSX addresses biggest quality of life with game: loading times.

Jedi Fallen Order:
Free with GamePass!!! (EA Play). Digging the game. Looks good (not amazing) but it is super stable at 60fps.

Batman Arkham Origins & Doom Eternal:
Downloaded both, not yet played either. Interested to how these games look/upgraded on XSX. Love the Arkham games...still not sure how I never played this. But glad I got it for $5 at the start of Covid to keep me busy. Loved 2016 Doom. Eternal was free on GamePass.

Next Gen Games:
None yet. I put in like 300+ hours into AC Odyssey. Which means I'm good with AC titles for the next few years. Sure, I woulda liked Halo Infinite but aftrr seeing the game i am much happier its delayed. I was interested in The Falconeer but not buying that until I finish some of my other games.

Storage Note:
A lot has been made about storage, etc. on both consoles. Im kinda OK with my progress. I have 13 games on there. Granted no next gen titles or many crazy large games but have:
  • Gears 2,3,4,5 and all DLC for each
  • R6S
  • Jedi Fallen Order
  • Arkham Origins
  • Doom Eternal
  • Forza 7
  • 5 kid games (Fortnite, PvZ, Minecraft, etc)
  • ....Still have over 250gb remaining.

Last edited:
COD CW, MW and Warzone, Halo MCC, and also replaying some old now enhanced games, like Gears5 and Destiny2. Loving it. Everything feels so much better.

edit: D2 is not enhanced yet, coming in dec.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Gears 5:
With all the new content (campaign, MP, etc.) dropping, bunch of friends have been playing. Game looks great. Plays great. XSX addresses biggest quality of life with game: loading times.

Jedi Fallen Order:
Free with GamePass!!! (EA Play). Digging the game. Looks good (not amazing) but it is super stable at 60fps.

Batman Arkham Origins & Doom Eternal:
Downloaded both, not yet played either. Interested to how these games look/upgraded on XSX. Love the Arkham games...still not sure how I never played this. But glad I got it for $5 at the start of Covid to keep me busy. Loved 2016 Doom. Eternal was free on GamePass.

Next Gen Games:
None yet. I put in like 300+ hours into AC Odyssey. Which means I'm good with AC titles for the next few years. Sure, I woulda liked Halo Infinite but aftrr seeing the game i am much happier its delayed. I was interested in The Falconeer but not buying that until I finish some of my other games.

Storage Note:
A lot has been made about storage, etc. on both consoles. Im kinda OK with my progress. I have 13 games on there. Granted no next gen titles or many crazy large games but have:
  • Gears 2,3,4,5 and all DLC for each
  • R6S
  • Jedi Fallen Order
  • Arkham Origins
  • Doom Eternal
  • Forza 7
  • 5 kid games (Fortnite, PvZ, Minecraft, etc)
  • ....Still have over 250gb remaining.

For Gears 5, is the story expansion out yet?

JLB

Banned
For anyone playing Ghost Recon: Breakpoint, give it a try. Its a massive improvement over One X (framerrate is nearly locked 60fps, and much better image quality).

DJTHEGREY

Been playing a lot of Yakuza: like a dragon. Looks great and loads fast!

Wasteland 3 which loads a lot quicker and looks clearer than my of xb1.

I play Madden regularly due to me being in a league (Game is horrible league makes it fun)

The faster load times along with quick resume makes gaming more convenient.

Will soon replay FF13 the upgrades looks gorgeous!!

Feeding Frenzy, no joke.

As someone who has traded in their Xbox One years ago and was an avid 360 fan, the console is amazing. Connecting online and knowing there are over 100 games available to download which you can't fit it all on the stock hard drive = :messenger_sunglasses:

Dirt 5, Gears 5, & Ori are the only Series X enhanced games I have which is more than enough for the time being.

Chukhopops

I finished Watch Dogs Legion first, then I finished Sekiro which was in my backlog (I stopped at the Demon of Hatred the first time so I was close to the end). Sekiro in 60fps mode is some form of ultra violence ballet dancing and I love it, wish there was a DLC already.

Now I play a lot of Gears 5 Horde, it's improved a lot now with more classes and defined playstyles plus the new maps, Dead Space in Gamepass BC and I'm waiting for Yakuza 7 which is lost in transit for 10 days now.

soulbait

Sooooooo....... I am ashamed to admit this.

I was planning on finally playing through Gears 5 and enjoy the improvements to Forza Horizon 4. I also purchased AC Valhalla.

Gears 5 - played through the first act. Looks great and is fun, but I usually only play one level at a time on Gears. Not sure why. Will play here and there.
Foza - looks amazing. Played a few hours here and there.
AC Valhalla - played around 5 hours, but it has not really hooked me so I will probably go back to it later like I have done in the past with other AC games. (seriously, no idea why I bought it full price. I always do this with AC games :D )

So, what have I really been playing? Well, when it comes to actual Xbox Series X games..... Tetris Effect: Connected. Yup. My other gaming time? Finishing up my play through of Mafia III.

So yeah, into the next generation and the most next generation game I have put the most hours into is Tetris, you know a game that was launched with Gameboy all the way back in 1989. And my main game I have been playing is a game released back in 2016. Of course I am enjoying the definite edition additions (DLC) and no more "freeze/stutter loading" when going into different sections of the game world (seriously, it plays like the way you wanted it to play back in 2018 :D ).

I know I am not selling the Xbox Series X on its next gen merits, but this does show in one way how BC is great. Able to keep playing games, better than before. Just need to wait for some good games to drop!

Edited to fix annoying typos.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
It was probably said a million times all over the board, but DAMN Quick Resume, when it works, is magic.
And the thing is dead silent, like even playinng at night, no volume and still cant hear it.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Iv'e been going through some random old games just to see how well they run now.
Pubg nice 60fps now.
Battlefield V looks great and runs smooth,
also Wolfenstein 2 in 4k mode looks great and runs nice. Loaded up for the first time (My Son bought this) Plants V Zombies latest game and to my surprise it runs and looks great.
I bought Assetto Corsa Competizion to in the BF sale and that runs at lot better now, not locked 60 but compared to how it was it feels like it is most of the time.
I played Project Cars 2 at highest details at 4k. Runs great with rain and a full grid now.
Gears 5, FH4, Tetris, Gears Tactics, new Cod and lots more I can't think of.

An how could I forget Enduro Racer in Cod an I played it for about 20mins lol. Really liked that game in the 80's.

Last edited:
Don't own a new xbox series console, but more than likely I will be playing xbox game pass. BEST DEAL IN GAMING HISTORY.

I do eventually want to get a PS5 for it's exclusives, but it will take a few years for there to be enough to justify the console imo. I mainly want God of war 2, Demon Souls Remake, Ratchet and Clank, Nioh 3, and Ghost of tsushima 2.

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
6b7aE22.gif

RPS37

I’ve been playing Ori 2 and Apex mostly. A little Gears 5 as well.
skimming this thread for further recommendations

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I've been playing AC Valhalla, SMITE, Destiny 2: Beyond Light mainly on my Xbox. Otherwise I'm on my upgraded PC. Going through another playthrough of Division 2 as well as playing Apex, Tekken 7 and Dragonball Fighter Z. Got stonewalled again on the PS5...this time, Best Buy had a little stock and so did Target. No luck for me unfortunately.

I’ve been playing Ori 2 and Apex mostly. A little Gears 5 as well.
skimming this thread for further recommendations

I would be playing Gears of war 5/tactics, Halo 5, and Cyber punk when it releases. In 2021, I would love to play Crossfire x, Halo infinite, flight simulator, and NieR Replicant.

Phase

I would like to give you a positive take, but I only own an Xbox One X and I'm currently playing Lost Odyssey (a 360 game) on it right now.

im playing gears 3, sunset overdrive and halo 5

i consider AC to be a trash series so not interested. the lack of any must have launch games for series X is very apparent, but it is what it is

ooohh just saw the MCC update. downloading that now

Last edited:

Gone

Banned
Ori 2.
Jedi: Fallen Order

If I had faster than 800 kb/s internet I'd probably be playing Forza Horizon 4 and Gears 5.

Tschumi

Seriously speaking... I'm out here straggling to finish one game (Z:Botw) and here people are playing 4-6 game simultaneously. Dafq Im doing wrong? lol
speaking from my experience... i'm playing... must be in the double digits of games... it's because every few hours my escapism shifts it's craving and i convince myself that i must conquer one game or another.

I was recently playing gamecube games on dolphin, and I remembered how it was when I was like 13-15 years old... I could only afford one gamecube game a fortnight/month, and most of them were duds... The upshot was that I actually thought Red Faction 2 was great fun :p and I really put the time into Metroid Prime and Zelda: TWW to really soak them up.

TL;DR - I wish I had no money and could only afford one game every month or two.

You guys have to play HITMAN 2!!! Put it on unlocked FPS and fidelity mode. 4k60+ fps is a game changer in this game. So beautiful and a massive improvement.

A bit of everything but here's some of my fav's

Daytona USA, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Child Of Eden - just look stunning with HDR support

Dirt V - Such a fab racer and so happy it doesn't have any of the open world crap and is just a straight old fashioned Arcade racer

Assassin's Creed Valhalla - Really enjoying this and loving the game setting and the combat is so much better in 60 FPS

Ori and the Will Of the Wisps - The game where I can really feel and see the difference in 120 FPS and it just stunning

Call Of Duty: Black Ops - Nice looker and love the 80's setting

Forza Horizon 4 - Just looks and feels great in native 4K at 60 FPS

THEAP99

Banned
Old games really suck to play after experiencing the potential of this new technology. If I was on xbox even though I hate Ubisoft games I guess I'd try getting a next gen experience out of that rather than playing old dated games. Though I think I do notice microsoft developers putting more enhancements in their first party games compared to Sony, but idk

nyr88nyg

Banned
I got a series S for my bedroom 32” 144 hz monitor. Playing the halo collection right now for nostalgia. Will play gears 5, doom eternal, rainbow six siege when I have time.

.hacked

Don’t have my Xbox yet but top 3 installs when it gets here Sunday:

Destiny 2
Fortnite
New Call of Duty

Valhalla maybe

can’t wait

Last edited:

Roberts

Other than Valhalla I haven't really played much. Mostly just checking older and new games to see how they look and run on the console. Oh, boy, Auto-HDR (other than a few selected games) improves things so much. Probably the most impressed I have been switching from one gen to another.

Waiting for Destiny 2 and Outer Worlds X|S updates.

Last edited by a moderator:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Other than Valhalla I haven't really played much. Mostly just checking older and new games to see how they look and run on the console. Oh, boy, Auto-HDR (other than a few selected games) improves things so much. Probably the most impressed I have been switching from one gen to another.

Waiting for Destiny 2 and Outer Worlds X|S updates.
Is it coming?

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
I’m having more fun than I expected with Valhalla

Decided to pick it up on a whim today

it’s gorgeous on the xsx

dalekjay

I finished my backlog of PlayStation there I have to play only unreleased first party
Nintendo Also

Xbox I neglected so I have everything after 2014 to play. I will do that until Cyberpunk after “platinum” that I will resume to Xbox backlog, and until I catch up ps5 will have it own backlog again.

Superkewl

I installed a bunch of games at first, just to see how they run. Now that has settled down, I am playing GTA IV. never did finish it, and now playing at 60 fps is refreshing. Nico Bellic is probably my favourite protagonist in a video game

Starhowl

I am playing Xbox One games - particularly those not included in Game Pass Ultimate or which even are not on sale on the store anymore like "The Sinking City". :cool:

The Xbox One X has moved downstairs so I can play games or watch movies there! ✌

Tschumi

I installed a bunch of games at first, just to see how they run. Now that has settled down, I am playing GTA IV. never did finish it, and now playing at 60 fps is refreshing. Nico Bellic is probably my favourite protagonist in a video game
It's not like I'm lacking for games to play at the moment but I'm thinking I'm more likely to enjoy GTA 4 then 5, considering the protagonist.. 5 was just too.. extroverted for me.. good call.

So, I have brought Series X but I haven't turn it on since I have received my PS5. I tried Gears 5 for like 10 mins.
What's your PS5 game atm? Played any PS4 titles or just the new stuff?

FlyyGOD

COD Cold War
WarZone
Gears 5
DMC
Star Wars squadrons
MK 11
Forza Horizons
Sea Of Thieves
Watch Dogs
NBA 2K 21

Last edited: