• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer worked from her hospital bed shortly after having twins

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigeon

Banned
Must be nice living in a world where everything is literally written out for you, otherwise, it's not real.

How can we breath air IF WE CAN'T SEE IT?!

I don't think it's worth engaging with that guy, since his first move was just to lie about what he was asking for proof for in his original post. It seems clear that he is invested much more in claiming victory than in learning information.

How is this working out for Yahoo?

Being a workaholic when you are the privileged person at the top of the pyramid is also a lot different than a grunt at the bottom being worked to the bone.

I hope the journalists got paid well for this glow job.

Seems a bit baffling to me to be honest. I mean you are earning a massive salary and you have perhaps less time to enjoy your time than most. What a strange world...After my basics are covered, time is for sure more valuable to me than money. It is not even close.

work without results is not good

The results are that Yahoo still exists despite Google, and they remain profitable even though less so every quarter. For the company every day is an uphill battle against an avalanche, so I guess there is merit in scraping by. Most tech companies from their era were obliterated or bought

Presumably the father was capable of watching the baby? As far as I'm aware he isn't the CEO of a major corporation.

Yeah, no need for both parents to be helicoptering over the children from day 1.

Presumably the father was capable of watching the baby? As far as I'm aware he isn't the CEO of a major corporation.
Babies need both parents not 1 and a nanny maybe. They especially need the mother as that is their comfort center where they were existing the last 9 months.

Seen workaholics who accomplish next to nothing time and time again. She's probably smart, but is bad at management and efficiency.

I do think it's unfair she's held to a higher standard, however considering she banned remote working and she's now remote working.... it's not unfair to call bullshit

Certain positions are always exempt. And I'm sure she'd allow remote working for any employee in such circumstances.

Anyway, I'm just not impressed with her aside from her ability to handle pressure and strong fortitude. Work uberalles.

Wow just saw this...

# of women who took leave = 469; # of women who took maximum leave = 349; # of women who took less than one month leave = 1(me)

Ha...ha....respect gone.

This post is gross and extremely sexist.

I genuinely hope I don't get flamed for this, but is his statement automatically sexist? Maybe it's presumptive and insulting, but how is it blatantly sexist?

Now perhaps you could say, "They would never say that about a man." But what if they would? I would. If I heard a father was working hours after his baby was born, I would think of that man as a workaholic that needs to realign his priorities.

pigeon

Banned
Babies need both parents not 1 and a nanny maybe. They especially need the mother as that is their comfort center where they were existing the last 9 months.

This seems kind of crazy. Almost nobody in America can have both parents available 24/7 during the first few months of newborn life, because we don't have good family leave systems.

Also, as I noted, having actually had a newborn relatively recently, I can assure you that you have time to take phone calls while taking care of one. They're just little footballs that need to be fed and changed.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I don't think it's really anything to be proud of, but seems to me like normal behavior for a CEO of a big company.

Takuan

That level of obsession and drive is what separates CEOs from regular employees. Some people live to work and are perfectly happy with that. It's not for me, but I respect that passion. It seems like a common trait of people who strive for greatness.

So "work ethic" means neglecting your own health and that of your newborn sons? Great example, corporate America.
How is talking on the phone and checking your email on your iPhone neglecting your health? Women are highly capable and not invalids after giving birth. Don't let corporate hostility lead to paternal wilting lily stereotypes.

Im down for a salary/work hours ceiling

So.. get taxed the same, yet only work a limited time? I imagine the bankruptcy numbers will skyrocket. Let CEO's work as hard and as long as they deem fit. 9 to 5 does not apply when you own your own business, even if it has only one employee.

I dont know if her working hard just didnt work or if yahoo was just not redeemable. id say the latter is the case. they have lost it to google in the early 2000s and when meyer took over it was just too late.

Teggy

I wished her success when she took over at Yahoo, then she came out with this no remote working rule and I really soured on her. Tech employees in this country are already expected to be on a smartphone leash 24/7. Prominent CEOs should be emphasizing work/life balance, not figuring out ways to work people into the ground. If you are a workaholic, that's your problem, not everyone else's.

Making a phone call = "work from hospital bed". Yeah ok.

I wouldn't be suprised if a lot of the stories about how much those guys work is simply made up. Just look at this crap: "[Mayer] will literally work 24 hours a day, 7 days a week," No dude, she does not "literally" work 24/7. Smh. I'm pretty sure they work quite a bit, but I don't believe for one second that those guys are that hardworking, I find it much more likely that they massively exaggerate to make them look better in the public eye and to increase their market worth.

Also, don't forget that people like Mayer usually have everything done for them. They don't need to go shopping, they don't need to clean their houses, they don't need to look after their children, they don't need to book their god damn vacations, they don't even need to drive their cars. They have so many aspects of their life completely managed for them by other people who work for them. No shit that they can use all this time to work more in their luxury offices with full service, and probably even have plenty of time left over. She even installed a nursery into her office (while at the same time banning work from home at Yahoo)! Stuff like this will save her a lot of time, and those are possibilities which normal employees simply don't have.

That level of obsession and drive is what separates CEOs from regular employees. Some people live to work and are perfectly happy with that. It's not for me, but I respect that passion. It seems like a common trait of people who strive for greatness.

Haha wow. Some of those responses here.

Moosichu

LOL

Yes, most CEO's work hard.

But so do most people. Being a CEO just means you can play the social game, had a lot of luck, and also worked really hard. And, even if it was 100% due to hard work, I doubt a CEO of any company works 1000x harder than a cleaner on minimum wage.

LOL

Yes, most CEO's work hard.

But so do most people. Being a CEO just means you can play the social game, had a lot of luck, and also worked really hard. And, even if it was 100% due to hard work, I doubt a CEO of any company works 1000x harder than a cleaner on minimum wage.

Most CEOs are also a lot smarter than a cleaner on minimum wage, that's also how they get to where they are. I mean, that's real life, smarter people become more successful. You kind of completely ignored that factor in your post.

It was a newborn. She was still in the hospital bed.

I cannot think of any reason why the father isn't equally and fully capable of taking care of the newborn(s) as the mother. They only need to be breastfed every one and a half hours at most, and its equally good for them to become acquainted with either parent. Both is ideal but we don't live in a perfect world.

Takuan

Most CEOs are also a lot smarter than a cleaner on minimum wage, that's also how they get to where they are. I mean, that's real life, smarter people become more successful. You kind of completely ignored that factor in your post.

There are a lot of other factors that go into it - socioeconomic background, connections, all of that is definitely a huge advantage. However, it still takes an incredible amount of drive, determination, and smarts to get there. I don't see the sense in berating someone who happens to be that focused on their profession, and I certainly don't think it's necessary to criticize her abilities as a parent in doing so.

Moosichu said:
I strongly disagree. I think most people are lazy and do the bare minimum to get by. Every single job I've worked, it's usually very apparent why certain people will never get promoted and why others rise to upper management and director positions.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
I'm honestly amazed at the amount of sexist garbage being spewed in this thread completely unchecked. Holy shit guys...I thought GAF was better than this.

Fusebox

Banned
So it's sexist to suggest a woman focus on her newborn twins? Both parents should be with the kids. Work isn't that important.

Hey for some people it is, some people are so poor they need to go back to work immediately and we can understand that. This chick is just being a martyr.

Hey for some people it is, some people are so poor they need to go back to work immediately and we can understand that. This chick is just being a martyr.
Right, that's why it's so fucked up this is being glamorized. We need fully paid maternity leave for like a year not this crap we have now.

pigeon

Banned
I do think it's unfair she's held to a higher standard, however considering she banned remote working and she's now remote working.... it's not unfair to call bullshit

I agree that this argument is bullshit.

She's not working from home. She's giving birth to twins. Are you expecting her to do that in her office?

Banning working from home isn't done to prevent people from doing work when they're out of the office, it's done to make sure people are working during the week. If you are out of the office for a health concern, like because babies are coming out of your body, that's not working from home even if you take a call. That's just sick time.

I will say I think it's a terrible policy and I would never work at a company that banned working from home, but this is a really facile and inaccurate comparison to draw.

I can respect a good work ethic but I guess it doesn't help your case when you're not very good at it. But respect the work ethic nonetheless. You can't say she failed because she wasn't trying.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
So it's sexist to suggest a woman focus on her newborn twins? Both parents should be with the kids. Work isn't that important.
Absolutely, yes.
What makes you think she wasn't focused on her newborn twins? Why is it your job to set her priorities? The outrage over this news topic is absolutely rooted in paternalistic sexism. No one would be batting an eye if this was a man or going into diatribes of how much time he should be spending on his work. FFS, one of the first responses in this thread was quack bullshit shitting on her because apparently her stress levels caused her fetus some harm, and people kinda just nodded as if that made any sense.

Absolutely, yes.
What makes you think she wasn't focused on her newborn twins? Why is it your job to set her priorities? The outrage over this news topic is absolutely rooted in paternalistic sexism. No one would be batting an eye if this was a man or going into diatribes of how much time he should be spending on his work. FFS, one of the first responses in this thread was quack bullshit shitting on her because apparently her stress levels caused her fetus some harm, and people kinda just nodded as if that made any sense.
It has everything to do with this being publicized as a positive. The US maternity leave policy is on par or worse than third world countries. I also disagree no one would bat an eye if a man was doing work from his wife's hospital bedside. I would assume that guys priorities are completely out of whack.

Aselith

It has everything to do with this being publicized as a positive. The US maternity leave policy is on par or worse than third world countries. I also disagree no one would bat an eye if a man was doing work from his wife's hospital bedside. I would assume that guys priorities are completely out of whack.

True. However, she would have been able to take maternity leave without issue and chose not to. That was her choice not a problem with policies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom