• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer worked from her hospital bed shortly after having twins

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean for the money she making I'm not shocked. This isn't a problem. she's doing it voluntarily.

The problem is when my wife is 6 hours into labor and is getting work emails and texts demanding information they need since she's out and the only person that does her job.

That pissed me off. But for Marissa Mayer's money I'd understand....

Bleepey

I agree that this argument is bullshit.

She's not working from home. She's giving birth to twins. Are you expecting her to do that in her office?

Banning working from home isn't done to prevent people from doing work when they're out of the office, it's done to make sure people are working during the week. If you are out of the office for a health concern, like because babies are coming out of your body, that's not working from home even if you take a call. That's just sick time.

I will say I think it's a terrible policy and I would never work at a company that banned working from home, but this is a really facile and inaccurate comparison to draw.

She built a nursery in her office but didn't allow stuff like that for yahoo staff and then brags about how little time she took of work. I get she's the CEO and some extra allowances might be made for her for the good of the company, however, don't be surprised when people lower down the ladder have to take more time off.

Culex

Banned
There are a lot of other factors that go into it - socioeconomic background, connections, all of that is definitely a huge advantage. However, it still takes an incredible amount of drive, determination, and smarts to get there. I don't see the sense in berating someone who happens to be that focused on their profession, and I certainly don't think it's necessary to criticize her abilities as a parent in doing so.

I strongly disagree. I think most people are lazy and do the bare minimum to get by. Every single job I've worked, it's usually very apparent why certain people will never get promoted and why others rise to upper management and director positions.

All valid points. Some of it really is who you know and who is looking at you. I'm pretty much an average working, average intelligence corporate worker, no college degree. My boss's boss for whatever reason saw something that made her think i needed a promotion to manager. I accepted it still thinking i wasn't ready, and after 3 years, she actually walked up to me at a corporate gathering and said she made the right choice.

I never would have been able to climb as high as i have in a corporate setting if not for someone who knew me.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I mean for the money she making I'm not shocked. This isn't a problem. she's doing it voluntarily.

The problem is when my wife is 6 hours into labor and is getting work emails and texts demanding information they need since she's out and the only person that does her job.

I'd say it is a problem. Even if she constantly says that those who work for her don't need to follow her example, she is still setting an example that people will certainly feel some degree of pressure to follow.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
As long as she doesn't expect that of other people, I guess it's her loss if she wants to do that herself. But, yeah. Sheesh.
That's what I feel. I don't think it's a good idea but she's a grown woman. However, it is also troubling that this is the same woman who got rid of working from home.

Fusebox

Banned

I'm of the opposite mindset. She has the kind of money that will allow her some respite after giving birth. Poorer people might not, I'd understand if it was someone who needs the money.

numble

I'm of the opposite mindset. She has the kind of money that will allow her some respite after giving birth. Poorer people might not, I'd understand if it was someone who needs the money.

I do not think she can delegate away the decision to sell the core Yahoo company or how to deal with its largest asset (the Alibaba shares).

norinrad

I'm not sure why, she even took that toxic job, being out of favor at Google I could understand but she should have gone for a small start-up. Her Ego was in the way trying to prove to the people at Google she was capable of getting Yahoo out of the abyss and more. In the end she might go down as the person who ruined Yahoo. Which is unfair.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
If she doesn't make mistakes and her long hours of work one day don't affect her the next, then fair enough.

I have my doubts.

Future

If I, or anyone I knew besides my mom, used yahoo even once a month then maybe I could understand this work ethic.

At the beginning of my online life it was Pojo.com's message board.

May be a complete unknown on here but LegendaryFrog's LillyPad message board, that one famous NewGrounds animator, was a nice place that was fun to shoot crap around for about two years and then that died.

After that ScrewAttack's boards were great for about two years where people would frequently get together and play games and so on, but then the site brought in user blogs which then completely detailed the forums and buried them.

Chichikov

I can respect a good work ethic but I guess it doesn't help your case when you're not very good at it. But respect the work ethic nonetheless. You can't say she failed because she wasn't trying.
I don't respect working 100 hours a week and not taking vacations.
I don't think that's a behavior we should encourage as a society.

norinrad

Exactly, this is not a good behavior, that's a catalyst for a very short life. Anything over 7.5 hours and I'm done for the day.

When I was the the hospital only my girlfriend and close friends came to see me every day. Work just sent a card. lol

Moosichu

I would like to add to that, not even because it's self destructive, but because it leads to much lower quality work. Maybe in short bursts of up to a week Max with recovery period afterwards if you are approaching some kind of deadlines.

Aerogamer

Neo Member
This type of thinking is absolutely toxic. This seems like the symptoms of someone who cannot delegate, build a team, or have effective leadership. It is more of a knock on her than anything. As evidenced, she is not an effective CEO, so this did no good. With the horrible decisions with their search business, original content endeavors and the mismanagement of Tumblr, Yahoo has no true value as a company.

Personally speaking 8 hours a day at 5 days a week is what should be the high end for most persons. People need to work a maximum of 1/3 of their days. Time to do hobbies, spend time with family and friends, exercise and try new things add meaning to life. Good sleep is of the utmost importance too.

In the end many who take this approach will regret it, what's money if you can't enjoy your life?

This type of thinking is absolutely toxic. This seems like the symptoms of someone who cannot delegate, build a team, or have effective leadership. It is more of a knock on her than anything. As evidenced, she is not an effective CEO, so this did no good. With the horrible decisions with their search business, original content endeavors and the mismanagement of Tumblr, Yahoo has no true value as a company.

Personally speaking 8 hours a day at 5 days a week is what should be the high end for most persons. People need to work a maximum of 1/3 of their days. Time to do hobbies, spend time with family and friends, exercise and try new things add meaning to life. Good sleep is of the utmost importance too.

In the end many who take this approach will regret it, what's money if you can't enjoy your life?

This is unreasonable if you run a business.

StayDead

Let us worship these CEOs. They are like gods compared to us lesser mortals.

We should be thankful they are willing to work for salaries only x1000 larger than ours.

Yup.

This entire work culture is awful anyway. There is such a terrible work/life balance for everyone. We spend most of our adult lives working than actually you know, living and enjoying our time on the planet. Most of the time for very little money.

Monocle

This is nothing to applaud, honestly. A functional work culture would actively encourage people to maintain a healthy work/ life balance.

kavanf1

Agree with most others, no idea why anyone would glorify this kind of bullshit. There are plenty of men and women like her who live to work, but that's not an example I aspire to, nor do I want my kids to think like that. The older I get, the more important a decent work/life balance becomes to me. When you're on your deathbed, you will probably have some regrets, but it's unlikely one of them will be "I wish I worked more".

And of course, Yahoo's abysmal performance is testament to how meaningless working stupid hours is. If that's the tone from the top, I dread to think what the culture is like there, and it doesn't surprise me at all that the company is such a fuck up.

milanbaros

Member?
At the beginning of my online life it was Pojo.com's message board.

May be a complete unknown on here but LegendaryFrog's LillyPad message board, that one famous NewGrounds animator, was a nice place that was fun to shoot crap around for about two years and then that died.

After that ScrewAttack's boards were great for about two years where people would frequently get together and play games and so on, but then the site brought in user blogs which then completely detailed the forums and buried them.

What?

forms

I can see how she would feel that her presence was necessary. I can also see how I would never want her to be the mother of my children.

Some people actually admire this.

Increasingly, workplaces are becoming more and more like this, wherein people will work beyond their contracted hours and forego their breaks as the corporations will seek to save money by not employing the right amount of people.

Also, Marissa Mayer is a terrible CEO that has completely failed in trying to revamp Yahoo!.

norinrad

Increasingly, workplaces are becoming more and more like this, wherein people will work beyond their contracted hours and forego their breaks as the corporations will seek to save money by not employing the right amount of people.

Also, Marissa Mayer is a terrible CEO that has completely failed in trying to revamp Yahoo!.

Running everyone out of town wasn't a smart move to begin with.

I'd say it is a problem. Even if she constantly says that those who work for her don't need to follow her example, she is still setting an example that people will certainly feel some degree of pressure to follow.

Yup. Not a big fan of workaholic CEOs and in my experience those types are always there when you don't need them and never there when you do.

It's especially bad in Japan when a lot of employees feel like they can't leave the office before a boss or CEO.

dani_dc

It's unfortunate they don't realize this leads to less productive and lower quality of work.

I do agree that if you're working that much youhave some serious time/priority management problems. I don't so much respect her doing it as much as I do being able to do it :p

Kinyou

Absolutely, yes.
What makes you think she wasn't focused on her newborn twins? Why is it your job to set her priorities? The outrage over this news topic is absolutely rooted in paternalistic sexism. No one would be batting an eye if this was a man or going into diatribes of how much time he should be spending on his work. FFS, one of the first responses in this thread was quack bullshit shitting on her because apparently her stress levels caused her fetus some harm, and people kinda just nodded as if that made any sense.
Doesn't seem to be completely unfounded

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2007/may/31/childrensservices.medicineandhealth

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I don't get it... As a CEO, what kind of work would she be doing that would require her to work from her hospital bed? Was she sitting there with her laptop pumping out code? Because I wouldn't think that would be within the scope of the line of work for a CEO...

Either way, it doesn't seem like all that overworking seemed to help the company.

CHC

She must have been worried that someone might try to make Yahoo good when she wasn't looking.

But seriously this is not admirable. Life is not solely work. I find this really creepy and a bad example. CEO or not, having a family is to a certain extent a decision and a commitment, and things like this are sort of a violation of that commitment.

I'm not some chauvinist or something but if I was her husband I would be kind of upset that that was her focus during such a time. Even though I'm not birthing the kids I would have taken time to be there and rearranged my life around the children, and I'd be pretty upset if she didn't plan on also doing that to some reasonable extent.

My mom did the same in the 1970's except she had her meeting in her hospital bed, no teleconference back then. She said she had to prove herself always back in the day, that she was equal (and in my opinion, better) than any man.

TwiztidElf

lol at executive 'stress'.
So she logged in, read in a few emails, sat in a couple of meetings, and made a couple of decisions that made someone at the bottom's life miserable? Boo-hoo.
Life's tough at the top.

Kinyou

While i do think that the workaholic culture she adheres to is complete bullshit, in her defense, she probably feels a lot more stressed if she isn't working. I guess mostly because she doesn't t want to be out of the loop for even a second.
True, very possible that not being in charge would have stressed her out more.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
lol at executive 'stress'.
So she logged in, read in a few emails, sat in a couple of meetings, and made a couple of decisions that made someone at the bottom's life miserable? Boo-hoo.
Life's tough at the top.

Sounds like you've had a hard time with your managers in the past. Running a company is hard work, pal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom