• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Yakuza 3 was a bit crazy (but hey, Yakuza 4 had that silly
Rubber Bullets
twist so its not perfect either!) but 3 does have Mine as the main antagonist. While not a
Nishiki or Ryuuji
level villain, he's still a real badass and I prefer him to 4-6's final bosses in motivation terms).

Its a real pity that Ishin is Japan only, and that hands down has one of my favourite final bosses in both terms of gameplay and story. 5's and
6's
choices were weak but at least the fights still felt really epic.

Yakuza 4/5 should've been one game that blended in Kiryu's angsty taxi driver story better.

They're all great but the dev definitely hit some roadblock in finding ways to develop Kiryu story further.
Well Yakuza 4 is more Tanimura's story than Kiryu's or the others. The other characters are just there along for the ride.

Cloukyo

Banned
I think it's funny that they said they didn't make Kiryu the main character in Y4 because he had become too strong, but then had Saejima go toe to toe with him.

Maybe Kiryu was holding back.

Is this game a good test for 60fps perception?

The gameplay is 60fps but when it gets to fancy cutscene time it drops to 30fps instead.
Either that or my TV is freaking out.

Yeah, 30fps for the cutscenes to give it more of a movie feeling. Makes sense.

By the way guys, aside from Y0, which game would you guys say Majima was in the most?

Well Yakuza 4 is more Tanimura's story than Kiryu's or the others. The other characters are just there along for the ride.
Everybody has a clear and understandable stake in the story which is a good thing. Though I've never really thought of Tanimura having MORE of a stake, which actually does make sense now that I think about it.

Much better than Yakuza 5's
people from separate corners of the country coming together cause OMI RENGU.

Yakuza 3 was a bit crazy (but hey, Yakuza 4 had that silly
Rubber Bullets
twist so its not perfect either!) but 3 does have Mine as the main antagonist. While not a
Nishiki or Ryuuji
level villain, he's still a real badass and I prefer him to 4-6's final bosses in motivation terms).

Its a real pity that Ishin is Japan only, and that hands down has one of my favourite final bosses in both terms of gameplay and story. 5's and
6's
choices were weak but at least the fights still felt really epic.
Yeah, Yakuza 4 had way too many
SIKE
and way too many
" IT WAS ME ALL ALONG AUSTIN"
moments for me, but it was still a very enjoyable ride. And gave us some damn good companions for Kiryu.

And I agree with you on Yakuza 3, as much as the story started going off the rails, they really nailed it
with Mine and gave us a very satisfying conclusion.
I think it's funny that they said they didn't make Kiryu the main character in Y4 because he had become too strong, but then had Saejima go toe to toe with him.

Maybe Kiryu was holding back.
Yeah, I think Kiryu was just trying to "feel him out" through combat, he wasn't actively trying to defeat him.

All Saejima needs to do is threaten Daigo or Haruka and he will be in the ground in a matter of minutes. Even the Tiger can't defeat the Dragon when his family's threatened.

Yakuza 3 had weak execution but I really liked the part where it's a reflection of Kiryu living away from the roots of his yakuza life only to be drawn to another in a different place. Honestly it should've been more of that than the other stuff.

In many ways Y3 is still a central game imo because it's the setup to Kiryu's more personal flaws that is shown in Y5.

Mupod

is beast style something that's only in this game? It's too much fun.

also how much of a difference does equipment make for incoming damage? I've had the belt from the DLC equipped for most of the game but I wanna try the quick change clothes. Haven't had a chance to test it out extensively yet, my upgrades are reaching the point where enraged mr.shakedown can't kill me anymore (or even knock me down) so I'm ok with sacrificing some defense if it's not gonna be a big deal.

Oh man the Dojima Lieutenants are the best villains in this series since Ryuji. Or at least Kuze and Awano are; the third guy hasn't done much yet but I assume I'll get to know him as the game goes on. Right now I'm just loving watching these dudes and listening to those voices. I'm learning Japanese at the moment, so I'm trying to listen to the spoken lines and avoid looking at the subtitles wherever possible, but Awano in particular is so guttural I can barely catch a word the guy says :p

I've had two awesome bossfights against Kuze so far, and I know there has to be another one because Kiryu hasn't taken his shirt off yet. It's not a real fight until both men are shirtless.

is beast style something that's only in this game? It's too much fun.

also how much of a difference does equipment make for incoming damage? I've had the belt from the DLC equipped for most of the game but I wanna try the quick change clothes. Haven't had a chance to test it out extensively yet, my upgrades are reaching the point where enraged mr.shakedown can't kill me anymore (or even knock me down) so I'm ok with sacrificing some defense if it's not gonna be a big deal.
This is the second game in the series that's had switchable styles. First one was Ishin.

It matters early on but once you've "gotten good", you can change to whichever equipment you want. That quick style change item is the best IMO.

Feels so satisfying to Knock like 3 people down with Beast mode Charge, then quickly switch to Rush and beat the shit out of whoever's standing.

Hobbun

How relevant are the mini-games? Like in regards to the story and/or bonuses/items they may give?

Are they really only for fun diversions, or are they actually quite relevant?

I’ve tried the karaoke and did awful at it. I am sure I will improve, but I don’t know if it will be to the point where I will be great at it. So I hope there isn’t something relevant in playing the mini-game.

Mupod

This is the second game in the series that's had switchable styles. First one was Ishin.

It matters early on but once you've "gotten good", you can change to whichever equipment you want. That quick style change item is the best IMO.

Feels so satisfying to Knock like 3 people down with Beast mode Charge, then quickly switch to Rush and beat the shit out of whoever's standing.

Didn't realize that - I thought switching styles was a series staple. It's one of my favorite features of the game. And yeah as a fan of cuhrayzee action games I want to do stuff like that one gif I've seen here.

I've just been on hard since the start and after a traumatic first boss battle I kept waiting for the game to get really difficult again. But nobody else has even been half as hard as that guy and I'm up to chapter 13. Now that I've got the money and unlocks from the real estate/cabaret I've been able to overpower most enemies without ever needing healing items.

Didn't realize that - I thought switching styles was a series staple. It's one of my favorite features of the game. And yeah as a fan of cuhrayzee action games I want to do stuff like that one gif I've seen here.

I've just been on hard since the start and after a traumatic first boss battle I kept waiting for the game to get really difficult again. But nobody else has even been half as hard as that guy and I'm up to chapter 13. Now that I've got the money and unlocks from the real estate/cabaret I've been able to overpower most enemies without ever needing healing items.
I agree, the game really did feel kinda easy all things considered, even on hard. Equipping items that change the difficulty like the charismatic autobiography is a good way to make things more challenging.

Yakuza 1-2-3-Kenzan had one character with one style, but Yakuza 4 and 5 had multiple protagonists and each of them had a totally different fighting style. Ishin had one protagonist with 4 styles, and then Yakuza 0 took it one step further with 2 characters.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Finished.

God damn ending teared me up :(

Majima
is such a sad story. I was almost choking up when Majima slowly starts to blend in and disappear into the crowd out of Makoto's view.

Bring on KIWAMI !

Finished.

Majima
is such a sad story. I was almost choking up when Majima slowly starts to blend in and disappear into the crowd out of Makoto's view.

Bring on KIWAMI !
Now the wait begins again :(

At least it won't be as long this time around.

Cloukyo

Banned
Finished.

Majima

Bring on KIWAMI !

;_;
I really wanted them to be together. Time to retroactively make her canon in the other games by remaking all of them?

To all of the newcomers that started with Yakuza 0.

YOU OWE IT TO YOURSELF TO PLAY KIWAMI. It's gonna be MUCH more of an impactful story than it was for us who started the series with Y1.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I am so blown away by the story. This game had me when Kiryu decided to fight back and clean a room full of baddies.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
;_;
I really wanted them to be together. Time to retroactively make her canon in the other games by remaking all of them?

Nah. I think this game does a good enough job of it.

Majima consciously wants to distance her from anything related to the Yakuza because of all the things she had to go through. She's probably living with the doctor somewhere, maybe Sotenbori and Majima moves back to Kamurocho.

At best, i'm expecting just some lines between Kazuma and Majima in Kiwami about "remember that shit with the plot ?"

edit: Oh crap, post credits scene !

HOLY SHIT GOD DAMN I WANT KIWAMI NOW !!

edit 2: 49 hrs 33 minutes, completion 50.53% only.
Total money earned: 62 517 337 227 yen
worth 4267 x 14 650 000 high end german cars lol

god i have such a love/hate relationship with
the amon fights
(general series spoilers)

they're such a pain in the ass to do, but at the same time i think they've developed into the best running gag in the series. it's such amazing execution of "the protagonists go up against the most absurd opponent imaginable and still come out on top". and some of the jokes in the fights like noa amon's dance battle integrating the amon lasers as a light show are fucking incredible

XaosWolf

To all of the newcomers that started with Yakuza 0.

YOU OWE IT TO YOURSELF TO PLAY KIWAMI. It's gonna be MUCH more of an impactful story than it was for us who started the series with Y1.

I'm more worried about the jump from Kiwami to 6. If I wanna play through in order its either back to PS2 era suddenly and then work up or cross my fingers and wait for a Y2 Kiwami to be greenlit and developed.

I'm more worried about the jump from Kiwami to 6. If I wanna play through in order its either back to PS2 era suddenly and then work up or cross my fingers and wait for a Y2 Kiwami to be greenlit and developed.

just watch it on youtube.

I also think that Y3 has a summary of Y2. Could be wrong.

You really don't HAVE to play through in order. Obviously if a Y2 Kiwami happens that'd be ideal, but if it does happen then it releases for JPN/Asia first and will probably eventually get an english version, which will be quite a while after Y6.

The Yakuza games are all stand alone enough that you can skip some.
just watch it on youtube.

I also think that Y3 has a summary of Y2. Could be wrong.
I think every Yakuza game had a recap option of the previous games. I know for a fact that Yakuza 6 does.

We're getting Kiwami in a few months right?
Summer 2017 is the given date right now.

Cloukyo

Banned

Even if Y2 Kiwami were announced it'd take a couple years to come out and then some more time after that to be localised :(. But who can afford to shell out hundreds of pounds for Yakuza 2?

Time to suffer through a lets play.

Hobbun

This is what I will probably do.

Even though I still have a BC PS3, would much prefer to buy an updated, remade version of Yakuza 2 if there is a chance of them making one.

And hope they do the same with all of them, tbh.

JJShadow

(Spoilers chapter 10)
Wow man, that escape from Tojo Clan HQ was so fucking epic, Kiryu vs the whole Yakuza world. When he jumps out of the balcony to start the fight against 50 guys and the fight music plays it was like "OK LET'S DO THIS BITCHES, COME TO DADDY!"

Rizzi

You really don't HAVE to play through in order. Obviously if a Y2 Kiwami happens that'd be ideal, but if it does happen then it releases for JPN/Asia first and will probably eventually get an english version, which will be quite a while after Y6.

The Yakuza games are all stand alone enough that you can skip some.
I think every Yakuza game had a recap option of the previous games. I know for a fact that Yakuza 6 does.

Summer 2017 is the given date right now.

But it's summer 2017 already. :p
Here in Australia.

I'd like to replay 3, 4 and then finally get around to 5. But then I'd have to buy a PS3..

Cloukyo

Banned
(Spoilers chapter 10)
Wow man, that escape from Tojo Clan HQ was so fucking epic, Kiryu vs the whole Yakuza world. When he jumps out of the balcony to start the fight against 50 guys and the fight music plays it was like "OK LET'S DO THIS BITCHES, COME TO DADDY!"

The entire soundtrack to this game is awesome

Finally got the problem with my ISP sorted out so I can now talk about the ending and the story!

[Yakuza 0 Ending Spoilers]
From the very beginning, you know it's not gonna happen cause Makoto is not in any of the other games, but good God, if that ending didn't play with my emotions. I mean, to not even know Majima's name? Come on, that's too cruel.

The finale was one of the strongest that I've ever seen in any game, period. When Sagawa grabs Majima's suit and he says that he'll kill him if he doesn't let go, man that was the "Oh my God, he finally snapped" moment. I really loved that. Though, I gotta admit that he was a little different from the Majima that I knew and expect. The Majima from past games felt like someone who have dropped many people and would drop anyone who would stand in his way. But this Majima.... he was too green. I at least expected him to kill the assassin, but nope.

And his personality change wasn't as good as I expected. Before it felt like he was legit crazy, but now it seems like he is just acting that way since it's more fun. But, I actually kinda like his new Yakuza 0 personality to him from past games, so I don't know what I'm actually complaining about.

Lastly, while Kiryu had a really big role in overall story and had some amazing moments, Yakuza 0 definitely felt like Majima's story in an amazing way. I really loved that about the game.
Correction Kyodai. This is the third game with styles. The first one was Kenzan, though I don't think it was called styles back then.

Anyway, I completely agree with how fun the style switching in this game is. Though, you can still have a ton of fun with any given style.
ZyZa9Cj.gif

Correction Kyodai. This is the third game with styles. The first one was Kenzan, though I don't think it was called styles back then.
Aah, my bad. Haven't played Kenzan, only Ishin.

Unrelated, but whoever in the team came up with THIS heat move and THIS heat move for Majima deserves some sort of award.

Remaking Y3,4 and 5 would be a MASSIVE undertaking. Remasters are what one should realistically expect for these 3.

Yakuza 2 MIGHT still get remade like Kiwami though.

Hobbun

Remaking Y3,4 and 5 would be a MASSIVE undertaking. Remasters are what one should realistically expect for these 3.

But this is what I’d want to see, and glad Sega is thinking about it. I just hope they are talking about for the west, as well.

I am patient, though. I have a lot of other games to play in the meantime. First of all, Yakuza 0. :)

Teb-Tengri

Neo Member

Unrelated, but whoever in the team came up with THIS heat move and THIS heat move for Majima deserves some sort of award.

Its a bit long but the heat moves in Kenzan are insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yskDL4Tg8Y0

Yeah, the first time I saw the gun heat move I was blown away. Also, there is one you can do in
Mad Dog style
against three people that is just soooo Majima.

Yeah, 30fps for the cutscenes to give it more of a movie feeling. Makes sense.

It's not (necessarily) for the cinematic feeling, the proper cutscenes clearly use bespoke, more detailed lighting models and I think also more detailed face textures and animations (they look properly performance captured, unlike the in-game dialogue sequences). Seems more likely to me they sacrifice framerate for fidelity in cutscenes, and vice versa for gameplay, which is cool.

Hobbun

Going to repost for new page:

How relevant are the mini-games? Like in regards to the story and/or bonuses/items they may give?

Are they really only for fun diversions, or are they actually quite relevant?

I’ve tried the karaoke and did awful at it. I am sure I will improve, but I don’t know if it will be to the point where I will be great at it. So I hope there isn’t something relevant in playing the mini-game.

Hobbun

Playing the mini-games is a good way to get CP. And CP is pretty useful for some quality of life stuff.

But it's not necessary. Only the substories are necessary for particular items and stuff.

What is CP?

Haven't tried any of the substories as of yet.

What is CP?

Completion Points. Check the Completion List in the options menu for a list of tasks.

Completing each tasks gets you a CP point, which you can spend at the shrine in the middle of the map for quality of life stuff, like being able to run faster or getting more money from encounters or buffs for the side business (WHICH ARE ALL WORTH GETTING).

Substories meaning the little short story quests that you encounter randomly. They really start to become available after chapter 2.

JJShadow

What is CP?

CP stands for Completion Points, it's a currency you can exchange in the shrine for upgrades such as getting more money from enemies, dash for longer, special items...

EDIT: it's definitely impossible to beat you, lucebuce :(

Some substory characters will also return as help for your later business venture sidequests. (Pretty much THE way to actually make money in this game.)

Edit: And a couple of substories are triggered by doing certain minigames a couple of times.

Hobbun

Completion Points. Check the Completion List in the options menu for a list of tasks.

Completing each tasks gets you a CP point, which you can spend at the shrine in the middle of the map for quality of life stuff, like being able to run faster or getting more money from encounters or buffs for the side business (WHICH ARE ALL WORTH GETTING).

Substories meaning the little short story quests that you encounter randomly. They really start to become available after chapter 2.

Ah right! Yes, have already seen the Completion Points list. A lot to do on there, which I like.

Hope to get some more time in tonight.

Oh, and subscribed to the Yakuza Series Starter thread, as well as the Yakuza Community one. That first one especially is actually a great help!

Thanks again. :)

Top Bottom