• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

i'ma do a lil more remote play today (there was no boss fight at the end of chapter 3?)

unless the bosses let us all out because of this goddamn snowstorm

What to does the smiley faces mean when selecting the hostesses before opening for business? Does the 😐 face for Yuki mean she should have the night off?

What to does the smiley faces mean when selecting the hostesses before opening for business? Does the 😐 face for Yuki mean she should have the night off?

The less "smily" their face is, the more their stats are reduced. If they have a neutral face or below, it's also possible they might not show up.

If they have a bad status then just open the club without having them active on the roster, refreshes their status back to full (Joyous face)

I think the biggest problem this series has is how cheap the bosses at the end of the game are. They're just so unenjoyable.

Were you playing on Hard or something? I actually thought they would of been a little more difficult. I found them really enjoyable over all. I did fight a little slower, timing dashes behind their back and only inputting small combos. Then using heat moves against walls and timed counter heat moves with Kiryu's rush style. When the boss's went into full heat mode I would just hang back and bait them into unleashing their long combos, then punch back when they finished.

I found the lead up to the fight more frustrating than the actual boss fights. Some of the gun wielding enemies at a distance were a little tough to get to without getting shot. Changing to Rush style helped getting to them quickly.

Majima's boss started to get a little annoying in his heat state with the constant wall flips he was doing. Kiryu's final boss fight on the other hand I found hype as fuck!

I admit, the game kind of conditions players into think they can just unleash everything they got on enemies when they are fighting the mobs throughout the game. Though, I found the boss fights were mostly enjoyable at a slower pace, waiting for the enemy to make their move first and then reacting.

Finished the cabaret club, with 63 hours into chapter 7 I'm ready to finally just focus on all story stuff.

The work you put in will definitely be worth it. Man, get ready to hop back on for the ride. Just when you think you completed an incredible chapter, the next one totally ups it even further.

Incredible game.

Reedirect

Quick question. I basically just started this game (currently on Chapter 4) and I mainly want to focus on the story, with a little bit of sidequests and mini games on the side. Can you do side stories after you've finished the main story? I assume some of them are locked to specific chapters or parts of the day (day/night), but can most of them be done after the main story?

Quick question. I basically just started this game (currently on Chapter 4) and I mainly want to focus on the story, with a little bit of sidequests and mini games on the side. Can you do side stories after you've finished the main story? I assume some of them are locked to specific chapters or parts of the day (day/night), but can most of them be done after the main story?

Actually, none of them are locked to a chapter or time of day and they can ALL be done after completing the main story. You can even just decide to do all of them before doing the final mission if you want. Substorise are locked behind story progression, though I think by Chapter 7, you'll have unlocked all of them save for two which unlock in the final chapter.

After finishing the game, you unlock Premium Adventure Mode where you can continue your savegame and muck about without the worry of the story mode. So you can complete everything there, and you can also change outfits in that mode too!!

Aki-at

I think the biggest problem this series has is how cheap the bosses at the end of the game are. They're just so unenjoyable.

What?

Other than Yakuza 1 and Yakuza 4 I have loved every single final boss in the series. The tougher they are the better, the game becomes a cake walk for me by the end that any extra challenge is welcomed!

Though since I'm at chapter 13 maybe my tune will change once I get there haha.

Reedirect

Actually, none of them are locked to a chapter or time of day and they can ALL be done after completing the main story. You can even just decide to do all of them before doing the final mission if you want. Substorise are locked behind story progression, though I think by Chapter 7, you'll have unlocked all of them save for two which unlock in the final chapter.

After finishing the game, you unlock Premium Adventure Mode where you can continue your savegame and muck about without the worry of the story mode. So you can complete everything there, and you can also change outfits in that mode too!!

Awesome, thank you!

What?

Other than Yakuza 1 and Yakuza 4 I have loved every single final boss in the series. The tougher they are the better, the game becomes a cake walk for me by the end that any extra challenge is welcomed!

Tanimura's boss
in Yakuza 4 was the only one that just made me go uUUUUUGGGGHHHHH.

Everyone else in the series has been fantastic, to the point where Yakuza 3's
arguably saved the story and made the ending legitimately cathartic.
The difficulty just always feels "right" since even if you don't do that much training or side quests you're still gonna be on even-grounds with the opponent.

What?

As long as you just don't try unleashing full combos on a blocking enemies, you will be fine. Countering and dashing are key. Let the bosses do their thing and punish them after their combos.

Aki-at

Tanimura's boss
in Yakuza 4 was the only one that just made me go uUUUUUGGGGHHHHH.

Everyone else in the series has been fantastic, to the point where Yakuza 3's
arguably saved the story and made the ending legitimately cathartic.
The difficulty just always feels "right" since even if you don't do that much training or side quests you're still gonna be on even-grounds with the opponent.

Yep same issue for me, I still enjoyed the fight in Yakuza 1 with
Nishiki but Jingu
along with from Yakuza 4
Murakata really spoiled a good final section. Having all those goons that just target you endlessly was such an anticlimatic experience it sort of ruined the 3 final bosses prior in Yakuza 4. It probably helps Yakuza 1 Nishiki happens after Jingu.

Got to say though for the time being Yakuza 5 remains top of the finale rankings for me
even if Aizawa as the final boss was such a random ass pull, the fight itself was damn epic.

JJShadow

This is my first proper Yakuza, I'm playing on Hard since the very beginning and so far (Chapter 12) I've found the boss fights quite "easy" if you know when to block/dodge

I'm pretty sure the final boss will kick my ass hard just for saying this though lol

Yep same issue for me, I still enjoyed the fight in Yakuza 1 with
Nishiki but Jingu
along with from Yakuza 4
Murakata really spoiled a good final section. Having all those goons that just target you endlessly was such an anticlimatic experience it sort of ruined the 3 final bosses prior in Yakuza 4. It probably helps Yakuza 1 Nishiki happens after Jingu.

Got to say though for the time being Yakuza 5 remains top of the finale rankings for me
even if Aizawa as the final boss was such a random ass pull, the fight itself was damn epic.
Agreed, it just seemed
so out of freaking nowhere but they still made the fight WORK regardless.

I assume he means Yakuza 6, but it's definitely not coming this calendar year (they've announced as much) and I have doubts it is coming within 365 days of Yakuza 0.

All that said, part of me worries people are going to get Yakuza fatigue.

Kind weird thinking about after the long drought we had, but it's understandable, though to be fair there isn't a solid release date on Kiwami and 6. Right now, just Summer 2017 and 2018...knowing SEGA though Kiwami will probably hit around September (and it's a smaller game compared to Zero if I'm not mistaken), 6 I have no idea but they could probably hold that off until Spring to maybe reduce chances of fatigue.

This is my first proper Yakuza, I'm playing on Hard since the very beginning and so far (Chapter 12) I've found the boss fights quite "easy" if you know when to block/dodge

I'm pretty sure the final boss will kick my ass hard just for saying this though lol

Try the secret bosses, they're pain, even on lower difficulties. (Though for me Kiryu's was hard than Majima's)

What?

They're not hard per say, they're really cheap. That's the part I find unenjoyable.

Just beat chapter 13, almost there....

Try the secret bosses, they're pain, even on lower difficulties. (Though for me Kiryu's was hard than Majima's)

That's normal really, the secret bosses are supposed to straddle the line between cheap and insanely hard. Only one that really annoyed me was one of the Dead Souls secret boss encounters since you have to fight your way through a 90 minute dungeon to reach him, and he can kill you in 1-2 hits if your not careful or ready. Other than that the only ones that felt super annoying to me were the Yakuza 1 secret boss (grenades phase) which you can get round with using lightsabers, Ishin's secret boss (had to drop the difficulty on that one!) and Shinida's secret boss in 5 (your just no match for him technically, so using traffic signs help cheese your way through that fight!)

I loved the
secret boss fight
for Majima.

Amon just kept filling my inventory with Amon tissues and "Staminan Spork" that looked like Staminan Spark, only this reduced my health and heat considerably lol.

The wait for Kiwami is going to feel like an eternity now that I've beaten 0.

Now you know how a lot of us felt waiting for Y0 for so long :D

But as The Artisan said, there are a tonne of fantastic games coming out in between so you should be good.

Tain

Anybody have any footage of Majima dancing to silence from the street performer statue mission where you have to distract the crowd? All the YouTube videos I saw go straight to singing. :(

Hobbun

The wait for Kiwami is going to feel like an eternity now that I've beaten 0.

Kiwami will probably long be out by the time I finish Yakuza 0. Just don't have the time I used to to play games.

Never mind I probably won't play it right away, as there are other games I want to get to first. Notably LoZ: BotW and Rainbow Skies.

MarcusB

Banned
I took him down before using Rush style. Wait until he starts his attack animation, dash to one side to avoid it, punch him 3-4 times and immediately establish some distance by dashing away twice or thrice. Rinse and repeat for some delicious money

The second time I met him I just ran! Got that secret wallet just in case. Does that safeguard all my money?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I really feel like this is my favorite in the series for story missions and especially substories

but holy fuck i dislike almost all the new activities. strongly. i hate the new dance game, i hate hate hate catifghting, pocket racing and phone clubs are so fucking tedious. the hostess stuff is great though and obviously space harrier is amazing.

Rizzi

I really feel like this is my favorite in the series for story missions and especially substories

but holy fuck i dislike almost all the new activities. strongly. i hate the new dance game, i hate hate hate catifghting, pocket racing and phone clubs are so fucking tedious. the hostess stuff is great though and obviously space harrier is amazing.

I'm not a fan of the dancing because it's so hard to see during it. Neon on neon isn't a great idea.

Kyolux

Is there a guide out there to help you go through Pocket racing?

And yeah, some of these minigames are keeping me from ever considering that platinum trophy.

The only reasonable game in the series to get a Platinum in was 4 since it didn't require you 100% completion of minigames.

I'm hoping 6 isn't too bad for that. I'm hoping that won't come out during a busy time with other game releases.

Ferrio

Banned
So is Rogue of Love a running gag at this point or something? I've only played 1 and saw a bit of 5, and whenever I see the song they go absolutely bonkers during it.

I loved the
secret boss fight
for Majima.

Amon just kept filling my inventory with Amon tissues and "Staminan Spork" that looked like Staminan Spark, only this reduced my health and heat considerably lol.

funny thing is that you can sell those back at the pawn shop for a lot of money.

DC1

Finished my first Yakuza game with this. Incredible game.

I want to play more Yakuza right now. Can I just play 4? 1, 2, 3 are pretty inconvenient to get a hold of....but I do have 4 from PS Plus years ago

You can wait till Kiwami comes out which is a remake of 1 this summer. You can jump into 4 if you want because each Yakuza game is its own complete story with only minor connections here and there. Plus Yakuza 4 comes with a recap of 1-3.

I would only add that you absolutely want to play Y2 and Y3 if/when they become available.

The connections between each release are not insignificant (however to Gai's point, it should not prevent you from enjoying Y4 or Y5).

Add part 2: Y3 is a very good very emotional game. One of my personal favorite titles of all time

So I finally started the final chapter, and Christ, what other game could get away with making you
fight the same guy five times? I think maybe two of those times was actually necessary aND appropriate. Usually this trope is dragged out in order to have a way to measure the hero's growth and serve as a yardstick, but Kuze goes down like a punk every single time, both in game play and plot.
Skyward Sword got raked over the coals for this shit.

just did another shesh of remote play at work.

I like the shpiel the yakuza guy was giving majima about murder. I was expected to be affected by it but instead he just snaps lol

Floody

So I have 4 and 5 on PS3 and this seems like the best place to ask, should I wait for Kiwami and play them leading up to 6 or just jump straight into them now? Mostly just wanna know of it'll ruin Kiwami's story more than anything.

Is there any penalty for providing wrong answers during the side stories? I'm kind of tempted to on occasion because incorrect answers look like good sources of humor.

Is there any penalty for providing wrong answers during the side stories? I'm kind of tempted to on occasion because incorrect answers look like good sources of humor.

I believe you sometimes get better reward items for correct answers?

But most of the time it will just push you to the right answer.

In the case of dates, not getting the right answer ends the date.

Floody

I think some affect the item you get as a reward, but most will just let you pick until you get the right response.

Just beat it.... Wow. What a story. One of the best games i've played in a loooong time.

1. Why didn't Majima just tell Makato it was him at the end? Does she not remember him telling her he had one eye? I know he wanted to protect her by not getting involved with her, but he could've at least shown himself... kinda bugged me.

2. Kiryu spends 10 years in jail????!? Does Yakuza 1 take place after the 10 years?

3. What did people think of Kiwami? How's it stack up to the rest of the series?

4. Yakuza 2 seems to be the fan favourite. Any chance of remake on that one?

5. I've beaten 3 in the past, but I got a copy of 4 lying around. How does 4, and 5 compare to this one?

6. I really loved Majima's character in this one. Is his wacky character in the other games as satisfying his as his old self?

Jachaos

Just beat it.... Wow. What a story. One of the best games i've played in a loooong time.

1. Why didn't Majima just tell Makato it was him at the end? Does he not remember him telling her he had one eye? I know he wanted to protect her by not getting involved with her, but he could've at least shown himself... kinda bugged me.

2. Kiryu spends 10 years in jail????!? Does Yakuza 1 take place after the 10 years?

3. What did people think of Kiwami? How's it stack up to the rest of the series?

5. I've beaten 3 in the past, but I got a copy of 4 lying around. How does 4, and 5 compare to this one?

6. I really loved Majima's character in this one. Is his wacky character in the other games as satisfying his as his old self?

I also don't understand how she doesn't recognize it's him. Sure he doesn't say a word, but he has told her that he has only one eye, she knows he can fight (and he just put down the guys harassing her) so that's another hint, and then he looks at her in a way that should make her think. That's the only weak note of the ending for me. I thought it pretty weird how she didn't recognize him, nor did the nurse it seems (or she would've told the doctor it's fine when she saw Majima with Makoto and that the harassers are down).

As for your other questions, I think Yakuza 0's the best out of the three I played, but Yakuza 4 and 5 are great too. Of course some gameplay improvements will be missing as they're older games, and the 30fps and such that comes with them being PS3 games, but my favourite chapter of the whole series is in Yakuza 4, it and Yakuza 5 introduce great playable characters and they're well worth playing.

As for Majima being satisfying as his old self, well, there's a reason he was a fan favourite. However, he is different from this game's Majima.

1. Why didn't Majima just tell Makato it was him at the end? Does he not remember him telling her he had one eye? I know he wanted to protect her by not getting involved with her, but he could've at least shown himself... kinda bugged me.

Kiryu spends 10 years in prison as part of Yakuza 1's plot (the plot jumps from the 90's to 2005 between the first couple of chapters).

Kiwami rocks. Its a brilliant remake of Yakuza 1 with more content, better controls, better combat with the same excellent story as before.

Yakuza 2 remake is not happening as of now, but we don't know what the team have planned for Yakuza in Japan this year (if anything) so we might end up getting a new game, side story or remake. Either way, we won't know until around TGS in September.

4 is a great game, I personally absolutely loved 5 as well but many people agree that there is too much content in that game, and the plot does not pull itself together at the end all that well (5 character plots and all).

Majima's personality is more crazy in Kiwami's story mode (he's more mentally unhinged, really awesome though) and he's just plain nuts in the "Majima anywhere" system where you meet him in a variety of strange circumstances. I still think he's probably his coolest in 0 and 2.

1. i would love to have another section in Climax Battles to just feature long battles using Strong Kiryu and Strong Majima, at legend+++/changeable difficulty. While the game does have the mechanics for a 3d streets of rage, it doesn't have the scenarios and difficulty to back it up.

2. whoa at female doctor, for a minor character she is exquisitely modeled. i would say even better than the hostess girls in prior games

Kyolux

So I have 4 and 5 on PS3 and this seems like the best place to ask, should I wait for Kiwami and play them leading up to 6 or just jump straight into them now? Mostly just wanna know of it'll ruin Kiwami's story more than anything.

It's pretty much OK to play 4 and 5 now. It might spoil a few things. But anyway before playing 4, you should still watch the recap of 1 to 3 before playing. It won't ruin playing through Kiwami anyway.

Just don't burn yourself out on the series though.

Floody

It's pretty much OK to play 4 and 5 now. It might spoil a few things. But anyway before playing 4, you should still watch the recap of 1 to 3 before playing. It won't ruin playing through Kiwami anyway.

Just don't burn yourself out on the series though.

Thanks. Yeah burning out was another worry, I plan on going right onto 4 but probably won't get to 5 until April at least, so shouldn't burn myself out. I just need more Yakuza at the moment, 0 was just that good.

Top Bottom