• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 4 Announcement Trailer + Boxart SEGA HAS LEARNED

Prine said:
Shocked at the Y3 love, i only played the demo (my first Yukuza experience) and thought it was horrific, the animations, lock on, transitions reminded me of a PSone game. But im thinking (after reading all these replies) it was just a bad demo? Am i right in thinking this?

Because i was really looking forward to it, and always beat myself up for having missed Y1+ Y2. Is it worth checking out even if i despised what i played with the demo?
It's not a great demo, but the Yakuza games are really love it or hate it affairs. If you totally hated the demo, I'm not sure I'd recommend buying in unless it doesn't cost you much.

Also, your mom reminds me of a PSone game.

Prine

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
It's not a great demo, but the Yakuza games are really love it or hate it affairs. If you totally hated the demo, I'm not sure I'd recommend buying in unless it doesn't cost you much.

Also, your mom reminds me of a PSone game.

She's getting on a bit. OK just bought the game. £15 new from Amazon.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
PepsimanVsJoe said:
I just thought the cut content was dumb because it was stuff that appeared in Yakuza 2.

Actually a number of side-quests went missing too right? Yeah that blows as well. I could have used the extra experience dammit.
Pretty much. I liked to do all those extra bits as early as I could just to get more EXP earlier.

Gacha-pin

Prine said:
Shocked at the Y3 love, i only played the demo (my first Yukuza experience) and thought it was horrific, the animations, lock on, transitions reminded me of a PSone game. But im thinking (after reading all these replies) it was just a bad demo? Am i right in thinking this?

Because i was really looking forward to it, and always beat myself up for having missed Y1+ Y2. Is it worth checking out even if i despised what i played with the demo?

edit: I bought it from amazon after watching Gametrailers review.

It's a story driven game. I hugely recommend to play Yakuza 1 first if you want to get into the series. But I also think you can skip Yakuza 3 becuase it's crap.
To me, Yakuza 1 = 2 >>>> Kenzan >> 4 >>>>>>>>>3.

Prine said:

why dont you go play Y1 and Y2 on ps2? They are good ps2 games

Prine

Banned
Gacha-pin said:
It's a story driven game. I hugely recommend to play Yakuza 1 first if you want to get into the series. But I also think you can skip Yakuza 3 becuase it's crap.
To me, Yakuza 1 = 2 >>>> Kenzan >> 4 >>>>>>>>>3.

momolicious said:
why dont you go play Y1 and Y2 on ps2? They are good ps2 games

Oh dear, i think maybe this might be fun for me because its my first Yakuza game. I'll probably brush up on the story by heading to the wiki. Plus HAlo Reach is around the corner, i dont think i'll be able to give Y1, Y2 the attention they deserve. Gametrailers review made Y3 look like lots of fun though.

Even without all the content cut from the US/EU ver., Y3 is an AWESOME game, it still has A LOT of things to do, lots of content, and i've found it to be one of the best games I've played this generation. I sincerely don't understand all this Y3 hate, maybe it's because i haven't played any of the other Yakuza games, but i'm sure that even if i play Y1 or Y2, i'll still love Y3.

Prine said:

You need to play these games for

1) The Story- It's awesome. Kazuma is very well written.

2) Beating Up Bad Guys in Tokyo is fun

3) THIS GUY IS THE GREATEST CHARACTER EVER!!!

pHXKo.jpg

hamchan

carpediemdp said:
Even without all the content cut from the US/EU ver., Y3 is an AWESOME game, it still has A LOT of things to do, lots of content, and i've found it to be one of the best games I've played this generation. I sincerely don't understand all this Y3 hate, maybe it's because i haven't played any of the other Yakuza games, but i'm sure that even if i play Y1 or Y2, i'll still love Y3.

I love Y3 too but even I quite dislike the orphanage sections that take up the first half of the game, it was so very very bad.

Thankfully Y4 has a pretty good start.

hamchan said:
I love Y3 too but even I quite dislike the orphanage sections that take up the first half of the game, it was so very very bad.

Don't worry, RGG4 is completely lacking in brain melting orphan fetch quests.

Hell, you don't even play as
Kazuma
very much.

hamchan

distantmantra said:
Don't worry, RGG4 is completely lacking in brain melting orphan fetch quests.

Hell, you don't even play as
Kazuma
very much.

Oh I'm not worrying, I've finished RGG4, I know it's very awesome :lol

hamchan said:

Well that kind of explains it. I liked the Orphanage sections, they were a nice change of pace for me.

Gacha-pin said:
But I also think you can skip Yakuza 3 becuase it's crap.

Considering how similar it is in gameplay, what do you base this on? I can see preferring one to another, but I can't see any basis for praising one and calling another crap.

shwimpy

DidntKnowJack said:
Well that kind of explains it. I liked the Orphanage sections, they were a nice change of pace for me.

I feel the same way. Without it, it'd be Yakuza 1/2 redux with upgraded visuals.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Gacha-pin said:
To me, Yakuza 1 = 2 >>>> Kenzan >> 4 >>>>>>>>>3..

I admit that Yakuza 3 main story is all over the place , I think it lack focus somehow (also the prime minister sub plot is funny cuz that position is a big joke in japan and no one want it ) , but everything else saved the game, like the side quest since they were better than the side quests in Y1 and 2 combined, and the game play just years better than Yakuza 1 and 2.

imo I actually think Yakuza 2 is the worst of the series ,I really hated Yakuza 2 story , the Yakuza and Korean drama shit in it was just absolutely horrible , the new city wasn't interesting and the side quests were lame and the Ryuji was meh.

imo Kenzan is the best so far ( I still need to play Yakuza 4 many guys said it's the best ) , it has the best story and best fighting system in the series , and the pacing is just perfect and also the the best villains ( not it's not because I am a Shota Matsuda fan ).

anyway , I am looking forward to get inside Akiyama's pants , hurry up 2011 n_n

Prine

Banned
CaptYamato said:
You need to play these games for

1) The Story- It's awesome. Kazuma is very well written.

2) Beating Up Bad Guys in Tokyo is fun

3) THIS GUY IS THE GREATEST CHARACTER EVER!!!

pHXKo.jpg

Is he as awesome as Lan Di?

ch41%20copy.jpg

I must confess, i really miss shenmue, and this is the closest thing to it, large part of why i want to play the game.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Prine said:
Is he as awesome as Lan Di?

ch41%20copy.jpg

I must confess, i really miss shenmue, and this is the closest thing to it, large part of why i want to play the game.

Yakuza 5 should be about the Chi-You-Men invading Kamurocho destroying everything for the phoenix mirror , Kazuma and Akiyama , Majima and all the Yakuza try to stop then but Lan-Di , Niao Sun , Ziming Hong are just too strong for them.

then the Prime Minister of Japan get a call from the Chinese government tell him they found a Japanese man stuck in a cave with a woman ( still a virgin ) since the late 80s and look like he know LanDi so they will bring him back to Japan , then Ryo , Shenhua , Kazuma and Akiyama join forces to stop the Chi You Men and end Shenmue and RGG series all in one epic master game.

hitoshi

Totobeni said:
they found a Japanese man stuck in a cave with a woman ( still a virgin ) since the late 80s.

"Apparently, she did not cut out to be a sailor. And now the weather: Tiffany?"

One scene in Yakuza 3 just totally ruined it for me. MAJOR SPOILER
When Kazuma FORGETS TO KICK THE LOADED GUN AWAY from Tamashiro before he kills Rikiya. Lamest cop-out death of all time.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Totobeni said:
Yakuza 5 should be about the Chi-You-Men invading Kamurocho destroying everything for the phoenix mirror , Kazuma and Akiyama , Majima and all the Yakuza try to stop then but Lan-Di , Niao Sun , Ziming Hong are just too strong for them.

then the Prime Minister of Japan get a call from the Chinese government tell him they found a Japanese man stuck in a cave with a woman ( still a virgin ) since the late 80s and look like he know LanDi so they will bring him back to Japan , then Ryo , Shenhua , Kazuma and Akiyama join forces to stop the Chi You Men and end Shenmue and RGG series all in one epic master game.
After the existence of Of The End, this seems entirely doable.

God damn. That was an awesome trailer. Probably the best I've seen for Yakuza games. The cover art is awesome as well. Can't say I'm not super excited to finally play this ...

Love this fucking series !

Noisepurge said:
woah okay does this mean they've dubbed the whole thing? Or is this just a promo-voiceover? ;D
I think it is just s promo voice over. Has it been confirmed if they are dubbing it? I thought they were just doing subs like the last efforts.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I think it is just s promo voice over. Has it been confirmed if they are dubbing it? I thought they were just doing subs like the last efforts.

if we do a TV advert would you expect it to be in Japanese? A voiceover for a western trailer is naturally going to be localised.

Voices are the same as before, the rich Japanese vocals with English subtitles.

reply by SEGAEurope on YT.

V-Gief

kiryogi said:
Quiz game. no big deal. But let's talk about the real things shall we?

-Hostess clubs
-Create a hostess
-ALL sidequests
-create a fighter
-dual audio options.

That's the make or break as always.
How dare you talk about make or break and not include Mahjong!? Blasphemy! Burn! Stake! Now! Extra exclamationmark! On a more serious note, no mahjong, no buy.:lol

MMaRsu

Banned
Do I need to play previous Yakuza games to play Yakuza 3? Picking up a Ps3 soon and might buy Y3 in the future..

It has the option to recap the first 2 games, but in my opinion it's so poor it would put you off the series. :lol

Play 1 and 2 first so you can see that the series has some greatness in it if you can!

The voice over in that trailer is really annoying. Really bad trailer.

But yeah, going to have to get Yakuza 4. It all sounds really good and it would be nice to play some new characters.

MMaRsu

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
It has the option to recap the first 2 games, but in my opinion it's so poor it would put you off the series. :lol

Play 1 and 2 first so you can see that the series has some greatness in it if you can!

Not possible since I don't have a Ps2 and Sony took out BC ( bastards ).

Worth a punt on 3 then, since it is a love/hate game mostly. There are good aspects to it... you just have to sit through a few hours of babysitting. :lol

SEGA needs to release a Blu Ray disc with 1 & 2 on it. I wouldn't mind dub voices so long as they aren't horrible. There are tons of great voice actors now. But we know SEGA won't spend money on something that doesn't sell much outside of Japan.

matmanx1

Well, as loathe as I am to mention "Gamestop" around these parts I did happen to catch a segment on Gamestop TV the other day where Aaron from Sega was talking about how Y4 was coming over in it's complete form. Hostess clubs and Mahjong were definitely mentioned as being "in" after they had heard from fans regarding Y3 that content cuts were unacceptable. I don't know if it will be 100% the same (is there an Answer X Answer in Yakuza 4?) but I think it's going to be darn close.

i liked Y3 demo and liking the full game even more. But I'm a Shenmue fan to me it's like a better version of Shenmue.

Y4 will be day 1

Top Bottom