• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 screens

Son1x

I wasn't very fond of Yakuza 4 (before and after playing) just because of the multiple characters. But somehow I'm looking forward to this very much. Love the new places too.

Jubern

If, IF Sega were thinking of not releasing this in the U.S., this is the first instance where I can think of a game that I would be more then willing to help make its' way over here financially.

That is to say, if necessary, kickstarter this shit!

Edit: On that same note, I would do the same for Kenzan!

It's already been debated to death, and I think a lot of people agree it's a bad idea. Kickstarter is here to help small guys hit big, not big publishers who should be adult enough to manage themselves...

It's already been debated to death, and I think a lot of people agree it's a bad idea. Kickstarter is here to help small guys hit big, not big publishers who should be adult enough to manage themselves...

Yeah I definitely agree that's a better use of kickstarters in general, but at the same time I am selfish and want to play Yakuza 5! If it comes down to no localized Y5 vs. localized Y5 only through a kickstarter, you best believe I'll support it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
'Seems to be' is a drastic understatement.

Hope we get it. New story sounds awesome.

At the same time, it would seem like wasted money not to come out. It has a fanbase. The game's already made, and I doubt they have a hundred people working on localization. Make it a PSN download if they have to.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Everytime I finally play through a Yakuza game, Sega releases two more.

Only finished Yakuza 2 a year ago, and I will hopefully play through Y3 this summer. SO goddamn behind.

androvsky

I've been getting the feeling the Yakuza series sells better in Europe than it does in the States. And as long as Sega Europe's up for localizing it, it's all cool one way or another. Worst case scenario is we have to import it.

At the same time, it would seem like wasted money not to come out. It has a fanbase. The game's already made, and I doubt they have a hundred people working on localization. Make it a PSN download if they have to.

I'll accept this option if necessary, hell if we even manage to get a retail release, I'll take a single page manual like with DS, it wouldn't that hard to figure out everything.

Yakuza 3 and 4 shipped from Amazon =D can't wait.

0.jpg

Stuart444

I started with Yakuza 3 (and loved it, 4 and Dead Souls although the latter less so but Majima was just fantastic)

Just tried out Yakuza 1 quickly and wow... that voice acting is horrible and I am not usually one to rag on voice acting. This is one of the very few cases where I am glad they went with just the Japanese voice acting.

I plan on playing through the Yakuza games in succession (apart from Dead Souls, I mean main series games only, not spin-offs) and this Voice acting will take time to get used to. Was there ever an official statement on why they kept to the JP VA after Yakuza 1?

Anyway I can't wait til Yakuza 5. Until they say otherwise (and yes this is more optimistic than I probably should be), I'll believe it will come over eventually :D

LiK

I started with Yakuza 3 (and loved it, 4 and Dead Souls although the latter less so but Majima was just fantastic)

Just tried out Yakuza 1 quickly and wow... that voice acting is horrible and I am not usually one to rag on voice acting. This is one of the very few cases where I am glad they went with just the Japanese voice acting.

I plan on playing through the Yakuza games in succession (apart from Dead Souls, I mean main series games only, not spin-offs) and this Voice acting will take time to get used to. Was there ever an official statement on why they kept to the JP VA after Yakuza 1?

Anyway I can't wait til Yakuza 5. Until they say otherwise (and yes this is more optimistic than I probably should be), I'll believe it will come over eventually :D

They stuck with Japanese VO in the sequels cuz it was cheaper just to sub them, iirc. You'll get used to the dub. I played them in order so it wasn't a big deal for me for me when I originally played Y1. The English VO for Haruka was actually great so there's one highlight.

semiconscious

Gold Member
Just tried out Yakuza 1 quickly and wow... that voice acting is horrible and I am not usually one to rag on voice acting. This is one of the very few cases where I am glad they went with just the Japanese voice acting...

just replayed y1. yeah, the voice acting's a little jarring, but stick with it - story-wise, it's well worth it (& things only get better, obviously, with the non-dubbed sequels)...

Stuart444

just replayed y1. yeah, the voice acting's a little jarring, but stick with it - story-wise, it's well worth it (& things only get better, obviously, with the non-dubbed sequels)...

Well yeah, I enjoyed the story of the Yakuza games I did play so I'll defo stick with it. Also even though it's the PS2 era, the graphics are great (though a little blurry)

While the voice is a bit cringe worthy... he has the crazy down easily. Awesome :D Majima FTW

Footos22

Managed to pick up Yakuza 3 and 4 for less then a 10er for the 2.
Time to dig in tonight in between Max Payue and xenoblade. 2 kids and housework.

DAMN IT

kiryogi

Banned
Are the Kurohyo games any good BTW? Never played except for a demo at TGS two years ago. For some reason I never bothered to get the final game.

Most praise them as one of the best, if not best Ryu ga Gotoku games available :eek: The super neat part is that it's developed by Yukes :eek: So the combat is pretty awesome, with various styles. It's actually one of the more ambitious RgG titles compared to the consoles.

DeVeAn

I would love for a HD collection of the older games with some tweaks. Although I know the emu on PC can play them pretty well. One of my favorite series. Can not wait for this game. Looks very ambitious.

spats

How I wish these were bigger in the west. Why can't Sony lift a damn finger to help marketing since it's an exclusive franchise?

People need to understand the 4 yakuza games are firmly grounded into the ps2 era.

the 4th pretty much perfected the completion aspect of the game, with little crowns, awards, and small things like letting you know which food or drinks you have consumed.

they are games with completionists in mind. if you like the content, there is a ton of it.

if you can tolerate the ps2 feeling game, and it's loveable characters (does anyone not like kazuma?) you have a ton of fun in store

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I feel like I've asked this before, but I don't remember the answer.

Is the original Yakuza worth playing? I would like to play a game or some games in the series.

androvsky

I feel like I've asked this before, but I don't remember the answer.

Is the original Yakuza worth playing? I would like to play a game or some games in the series.

I haven't beaten the original yet, but it's worth playing. However, 2, 3, and 4 are all better games. I'd suggest starting with 2, but if you want to enjoy the story in order go ahead and start with the first. The main stories in each game are mostly self-contained, but there's a lot of references to earlier events and people.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I haven't beaten the original yet, but it's worth playing. However, 2, 3, and 4 are all better games. I'd suggest starting with 2, but if you want to enjoy the story in order go ahead and start with the first. The main stories in each game are mostly self-contained, but there's a lot of references to earlier events and people.

Okay, I suppose I should at least give it a shot. They seem like games I would enjoy.

Top Bottom