• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 6 ‘Play Spots’ trailer

I've heard the full VF is in it, is that Puyo Puyo also the full game? Fuck, i need some Yakuza in my life like yesterday. I did play through 1 and 2 as they were coming out but i don't remember much i am debating watching a bunch of videos to catch up on 1-4 and buying 5 on PS3.

It's a "brand new" game based off of Puyo Puyo 2 using a cut down version of the Puyo Tetris engine and graphics, it seems.

Vlaphor

A day in the life of Yakuza 6.

You can spend a day playing a Ukulele, then chat up some cam girls, after that you can raise a bunch of cats, and then finally you can find some punk-ass little thug that thinks he's hot shit and rip his fingernails out with a pair of pliers.

Sounds like a good day.

As a small side note, I always loved how in Yakuza 4 when you played as the escaped convict (who's name I can't remember because I didn't really like playing as him) and you would get into random battles with guys who would have to look up to see your chest before threatening you...and who would then act surprised when they got their asses kicked. The guys he fought in Yakuza 5 seemed to be a bit more balanced to his height/build, so it wasn't as funny.

ar4757

Looks like Yakuza, just even more so what it strives to be - eccentric and hilarious

Preaching to the choir here but obviously buy Yakuza Zero - I'm so excited for it

Aenima

Out of curiosity i checked that japanese cam site. And the section with the green banners its a "non adult" section, suposed to be non nude, and just for chatting with girls. Adult section is pink :p

Alo0oy

Banned
Well, if you think about it purely in revenue 100,000 x 60 = 6 million USD.

I'm sure somebody out there is willing to generate that revenue for subbing a game to English. It might not get a physical release, but a western digital release on PSN, I'd think so. And I think that figure might be a bit outdated. I'm not sure but I think they were pleased with how Yakuza 4 and 5 did.

Of those 6 million, 2 million go to Sony for licensing 1 million to retailers for shelf space and retail margins. You can add 1 million for localization expenses and they get 2 million out of it at best.

Not exactly high profit margins when each entry sells 500k+ in Japan and Asia.

EDIT: Buying the game digitally probably helps them a lot because retailers get nothing.

TLZ

Banned
I love the mini games in Yakuza. There's always so much to do. So content heavy without any dlc bullshit involved.

IrishNinja

100,000? are you serious?

that is disgusting. This is a high quality game that deserves much more.

It actually pisses me off.. I love this series so much, bought all of them. I feel like 6 could actually be popular!! it seems like the gameplay has finally been brought to current gen which us westerners might accept.

i hear ya man - all of us at yakuzaGAF do! - but we're currently looking at 0 and its physical release in january (right around RE7 & KH...), and scrounging for ways to get more people on board to help show sega it's a viable series over here. open to any ideas! as it stands, making threads like this for exciting TGS stuff is one of the better options ive seen so far.

What the heck that web chat?

What does that even say? Translation?
9uTJi9e.jpg

i hear ya man - all of us at yakuzaGAF do! - but we're currently looking at 0 and its physical release in january (right around RE7 & KH...), and scrounging for ways to get more people on board to help show sega it's a viable series over here. open to any ideas! as it stands, making threads like this for exciting TGS stuff is one of the better options ive seen so far.

I still think doing a simple yet informative Yakuza 0 Beginner Guide/Q&A |OT| with amazing gifs, frequent questions and stuff like what the series actually is about and from where people should/could start the series with, would be a very good option to bring in new fans.

IrishNinja

I still think doing a simple yet informative Yakuza 0 Beginner Guide/Q&A |OT| with amazing gifs, frequent questions and stuff like what the series actually is about and from where people should/could start the series with, would be a very good option to bring in new fans.

you know, i already put in for the OT, but i've been thinking a primer like this would really be a good idea too - and perfect since 0 is looking to be the very best place to start.

i was gonna give it a bit to get closer to the release date & then hit up the yak community for banners/ideas and such, as a thread that says exactly what the series is (and isn't) might be a fantastic way to get people on board

Of those 6 million, 2 million go to Sony for licensing 1 million to retailers for shelf space and retail margins. You can add 1 million for localization expenses and they get 2 million out of it at best.

Not exactly high profit margins when each entry sells 500k+ in Japan and Asia.

EDIT: Buying the game digitally probably helps them a lot because retailers get nothing.

So, you agree then - it's a profitable endeavor. And even if it wasn't, and they lost a little bit by putting it out on the West, you can't build your brand if you leave it in the bubble.

But they won't lose money. Localization is an expensive process but if you have 100,000 dedicated fans that will buy the game at full price, then they'll make a profit. Unless Localization (subbing, not even a dub) cost 4 + million. Which it doesn't.

you know, i already put in for the OT, but i've been thinking a primer like this would really be a good idea too - and perfect since 0 is looking to be the very best place to start.

i was gonna give it a bit to get closer to the release date & then hit up the yak community for banners/ideas and such, as a thread that says exactly what the series is (and isn't) might be a fantastic way to get people on board
Yeah. I think we should probably start doing that a tad bit earlier though, since Jan-Feb is so packed that people might start doing pre-orders early to get all the titles that they want.

Also, we could/should scout some of the other communities that might enjoy Yakuza series as well, so when the thread is up we could post a link in those communities to get their attentions too. Though, that's probably something we should talk about more later in the community thread.

IrishNinja

Yeah. I think we should probably start doing that a tad bit earlier though, since Jan-Feb is so packed that people might start doing pre-orders early to get all the titles that they want.

Also, we could/should scout some of the other communities that might enjoy Yakuza series as well, so when the thread is up we could post a link in those communities to get their attentions too. Though, that's probably something we should talk about more later in the community thread.

agreed on all counts! preorders before the holidays would be good, and i'd be happy to spread the love on other related forums - we can totally organize it in that thread, i'm down!

agreed on all counts! preorders before the holidays would be good, and i'd be happy to spread the love on other related forums - we can totally organize it in that thread, i'm down!

Okay, we'll continue this in Community thread then.

Anyone else interested in helping us, please come to Community thread that I link below and give us your ideas/suggestions for this new "Beginner Guide" thread that we will make.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=217149783

Backflip

This is the really important stuff.

I can't wait to waste hours playing darts and mahjong again.

I think 3 was the best selling one in the US with around 70k. 1 sold about 50k, if I recall correctly.

2 and 4 were at like 25k.

Not sure what the European sales are like.

European sales are not very good. And one of the main reasons for that is that the game isn't translated into European languages.

I work for a French website and I talk about Yakuza every chance I get. And I know that some of our readers would like to play the games but they won't do it because the game doesn't have French subtitles. They won't play a story-heavy game like Yakuza if they don't understand the story, menus and dialogue.

You wouldn't believe how few French people speak decent English. And I believe the situation is the same in countries like Italy and Spain.

European sales are not very good. And one of the main reasons for that is that the game isn't translated into European languages.

I work for a French website and I talk about Yakuza every chance I get. And I know that some of our readers would like to play the games but they won't do it because the game doesn't have French subtitles. They won't play a story-heavy game like Yakuza if they don't understand the story, menus and dialogue.

You wouldn't believe how few French people speak decent English. And I believe the situation is the same in countries like Italy and Spain.

It's pretty bad in Spain judging from my personal experience, probably worse than France.
There was actually a chart a few months ago and I recall Spain and Italy being close to the bottom.

AlucardGV

Banned

yup. you may think it's not worth investing in subs but if you don't get them it's no sale for sure.
i was surprised that the last two (or three) tales of had them. if a low budget rpg can have them, pretty much anyone can

Top Bottom