• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 6: The Song of Life launches March 20 in the Americas and Europe

I could Tiger Drop in Y1,2,3,4 and 5 just as easily as I could in Y0 and Kiwami so the 30 fps is not that big of a deal to me.

The sacrifice of that 30 fps is leading to much more of a dynamic and better looking Yakuza game than we've ever had and i am FINE with that.

I'll definitely take the other improvements over 60fps.

Oh, the New Japan guys will still be in right?

Of course. So will the JAV stars taking their shirts off. So will the hostesses. And the karaoke. This game is gonna have some awesome Karaoke.

NJPW have been pretty lax on this stuff. First Tekken 7 having all NJPW content on the console versions, and now this. Combined with the fact that they'll be doing more US shows in the future implies that they WANT to be more about that global market than ever before.

And I fucking love it.

MYeager

NJPW have been pretty lax on this stuff. First Tekken 7 having all NJPW content on the console versions, and now this. Combined with the fact that they'll be doing more US shows in the future implies that they WANT to be more about that global market than ever before.

And I fucking love it.

I was going to say I don't think they'd have a problem with it, if anything you'd think they'd even ask for an ad to be thrown in for NJPW World.

It would be nice, but 3-5 are on the same engine as Yakuza 0/Kiwami 1. I'm not sure how necessary it is.

Ports would be great though.
He said remaster so I think he pretty much meant a port lol. And I agree they really should port those games over, make the PS4 the definitive place to get into all the Yakuza games released thus far (well except Black Panther and Kenzan)

how much of a dumb idea is to jump from Kiwami straight up to 6? How much i'm going to miss?
You're gonna be missing 4 fantastic games.

But other than that, the only thing you're really missing out on is context at the start of the game. Apparently, much like a lot of other Yakuza games the story is mostly standalone (a fault that apparently has lead to mixed reactions). But Y6 does start directly after the end of Y5.

It's DOABLE certainly, but I wouldn't recommend it. At least play Y4 and Y5 if at all possible.

EDIT: And yeah, you're missing out on Haruka going from a 9 year old to a waifu.

LeleSocho

Banned
Haruka growing up. Several more internal Tojo conflicts.

That's it? There won't be stuff that make me say "what the heck are they talking about?" because it happened in older games?

Edit:
You're gonna be missing 4 fantastic games.

But other than that, the only thing you're really missing out on is context at the start of the game. Apparently, much like a lot of other Yakuza games the story is mostly standalone (a fault that apparently has lead to mixed reactions). But Y6 does start directly after the end of Y5.

It's DOABLE certainly, but I wouldn't recommend it. At least play Y4 and Y5 if at all possible.

EDIT: And yeah, you're missing out on Haruka going from a 9 year old to a waifu.
I see... dang what a bummer, best i could do is playing 0 because i have only a ps4 now but even that knowing that is much longer than Kiwami would burn me out of the series for a good while.

That's it? There won't be stuff that make me say "what the heck are they talking about?" because it happened in older games?

The games are mostly standalone. The characters certainly do return but it's always a new villain under new circumstances. The only situation where the last game's happenings severely effect the next one, is Y5 into Y6. None else that I can think of.

He said remaster so I think he pretty much meant a port lol. And I agree they really should port those games over, make the PS4 the definitive place to get into all the Yakuza games released thus far (well except Black Panther and Kenzan)
Yea you're right. My bad

how much of a dumb idea is to jump from Kiwami straight up to 6? How much i'm going to miss?

Quite a lot.

Everyone can choose how to approach any series. But one of the main draws for me, is seeing the city and the characters grow and change overtime. I couldn't imagine skipping 4 games of development.
Most people who have played 6 are ranking it below Y2/Y4 in their series tier lists too.

Also Y3-Y5 are pretty much on the same engine as Y0/YK, they wont feel all that dated. Y5 came out only a year and a half ago in the west.

Heartfyre

Might get some whiskey especially for when this releases to break in those glasses. We'll see how hard it is to track down a bottle of Suntory in Europe!

This isn't the type of game that requires much precision in it's combat to successfully pull of moves. A stable 30 fps is fine, some of you have been playing these games since PS2. 60fps is great of course but Y6 and Kiwami 2(if it's 30) will be fine.

This isn't the type of game that requires much precision in it's combat to successfully pull of moves. A stable 30 fps is fine, some of you have been playing these games since PS2. 60fps is great of course but Y6 and Kiwami 2(if it's 30) will be fine.
60 fps looks way better though.

60 fps looks way better though.
If I had to choose between 60 fps or this.
NPoacnQ.gif
I'd choose this everytime tbh.

Shin-Ra

You know, I only just realised NPC bystanders don't crowd around fights to block them into a section anymore.

So is there no release date for Kiwami 2? I find it odd from a strategic POV that they wouldn't release 2 before 6. Because people like me that started with Zero are probably not going to buy 6 at launch if 2 is coming after that. All I keep hearing is how great 2 is, so I want to play that one, but I don't want to play them out of order.

So is there no release date for Kiwami 2? I find it odd from a strategic POV that they wouldn't release 2 before 6. Because people like me that started with Zero are probably not going to buy 6 at launch if 2 is coming after that. All I keep hearing is how great 2 is, so I want to play that one, but I don't want to play them out of order.
These games are made first and foremost for the JP/Asian market. Yakuza 5 came out for the west literally three years after it came out in South-East Asia.

Yakzua 6 already came out last year in the JP market. The announcements of Hokotu ga Gotoku and Kiwami 2 were for the JP crowd.

It's coming out in December in Japan. My bet is that they will announce the release date for the West at an upcoming Playstation event. Maybe early 2019 since we are getting 6 in March.

But yeah, It's unfortunate for people who want to play the games in order.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Yes. Visual fidelity >>>>>>>>>>>>>> FPS.

Not for me. 60fps will always be more important. Always. It's why I mostly play on PC.

However the Yakuza games will always be an exception to this rule. They could run at 20fps and I'd deal with it.

Hell I'm thinking of getting a PS4 Pro simply to get the best out of Y6.

Not for me. 60fps will always be more important. Always. It's why I mostly play on PC.

However the Yakuza games will always be an exception to this rule. They could run at 20fps and I'd deal with it.

Hell I'm thinking of getting a PS4 Pro simply to get the best out of Y6.
Yeah I'm the same. In most genres, I'd always prefer 60 fps to better visuals especially for genres that require a finer degree of control.

Yakuza though, just do what you want to get me the densest, best looking game you can make.

MYeager

Well yeah, they're going to talk about events that happened while Haruka grew up (some very significant ones even) and the constant political struggles of the Tojo Clan will probably be referenced in whatever next struggle with the Tojo Clan.

But you can watch the cutscenes or summaries on youtube, for three games that's going to be kind of long and wont have the emotional impact but a viable option.

When I tried the Y6 demo from the HK PSN store, it was not a solid 30fps.

Potentially the game itself will run better.

If you are interested, Y2 still holds up very well. It's not that old either, it released in the west the same year as GTAIV and COD:World at War. Without a PS2 you can emulate it pretty easily.

It's coming out in December in Japan. My bet is that they will announce the release date for the West at an upcoming Playstation event. Maybe early 2019 since we are getting 6 in March.

But yeah, It's unfortunate for people who want to play the games in order.

2019? Fuck. Well I guess I won't be playing 2 then. Realistically I'm not going to feel like going back and playing an old story at that point where most of the revelations will already be known.

As someone who has only played 60fps Yakuza games, dropping to 30 has me a bit worried. 60fps in Rush mode is sublime.

danmaku

You know, I only just realised NPC bystanders don't crowd around fights to block them into a section anymore.

Makes me wonder if it'll be possible to fight multiple groups of enemies at once, since you're not stuck in the "battle screen" anymore.

BigEmil

I heard somewhere Yakuza 6 Dragon engine was a early work in progress, maybe we will see Yakuza Kiwami 2 more updated engine use

Makes sense as making your own proprietary engine takes a lot of time and money, glad they have not used UE4!

Jawmuncher

60 fps or Locked 30 is what I want. The issue is Y6 apparently doesn't even hold 30FPS.
Which at that point I don't think the trade-off is worth it. I mean I'll still play the game regardless since PC ports don't seem like a thing that'll be happening soon. But that's where I stand.
To be fair Y0 and YK don't either in some fights. But from my play it's only been when a weapon such as a couch bursts on the last hit.

I heard somewhere Yakuza 6 Dragon engine was a early work in progress, maybe we will see Yakuza Kiwami 2 more updated engine use

Makes sense as making your own proprietary engine takes a lot of time and money, glad they have not used UE4!
Yea, I think I heard them saying that it would take them a game or so to get it perfected.

60 fps or Locked 30 is what I want. The issue is Y6 apparently doesn't even hold 30FPS.
Which at that point I don't think the trade-off is worth it. I mean I'll still play the game regardless since PC ports don't seem like a thing that'll be happening soon. But that's where I stand.
The Pro version is a straight locked 1080p/30 with no screen tearing.

The base version is a sometimes-dipping 900p/30 with occasional screen tearing.

I would be straight up shocked if Yakuza 6 even mentions any of the major events of Yakuza 2 in any way.

I thought the newer Yakuza games had catch-up summary videos of past titles? But anyway, it would be like watching season 7 of GOT and then watching season 2. It just loses the dramatic impact and emotional investment when I watch stories out of order like that. So I'll skip Kiwami 2 if it's arriving more than a few months after 6, because I'm not going to wait a year to play 6.

Yakuza 6 is 900p on PS4?
On the OG PS4, I believe so. Pro is definitely 1080p. For what it's worth, the game still looked pretty damn good to me when I played the demo.

I thought the newer Yakuza games had catch-up summary videos of past titles? But anyway, it would be like watching season 7 of GOT and then watching season 2. It just loses the dramatic impact and emotional investment when I watch stories out of order like that. So I'll skip Kiwami 2 if it's arriving more than a few months after 6, because I'm not going to wait a year to play 6.
Y6 doesn't.

Nor does it need one tbh. It's largely self contained, except for the start which takes place directly after Y5.

How bad are we talking with the screen tearing?
Wasn't even really noticeable for me with my time with the demo. Must have spent like an hour or so just running around and picking fights,maybe longer. But it is there. Mainly when you're looking out at an intensive scene and moving the camera around.

FPS drops are weirdly enough only when you enter and leave restaurants, not during actual fighting or running around.

Pro version doesn't have any of that.

How bad are we talking with the screen tearing?

You should give the demo a shot, I'm not good at gauging this kind of stuff. It's overall, nothing too distracting.

After playing the demo, I felt compelled towards picking up a PS4Pro. Mainly because I'd like to have the best possible experience with this franchise though. Plus I'd like to replay TLG.

Top Bottom