• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 7 runs at 900p 60fps on Series S? Is this true or BS?

geordiemp

10 tf can't do the same or better.

bZMExVa.jpg

DX11 for starters, could list things all day

//DEVIL//

What about fill rate? What about bottlenecks? What about streaming relieving the GPU? What about having more unified memory? What about the decompression having its own dedicated hardware. What about cache scrubbers? What about the fact everything runs faster due to the high clocks?

You can’t just look at a number and go, well this must be better because it’s higher. That’s not how tech works.
Please stop typing . Ty

Mattyp

Gold Member
Why strange?

Why do you think it’s weaker? There’s a lot of variables in play that many are refusing to acknowledge that could give PS5 the edge on power.

You don’t know that.

I'll put a years Gold bet on it if you honestly think this will run better on the PS5.

Why is it weaker, what metric do you assume makes it weaker ?

You realise most marketing simpler numbers are just that, PR.

Cache speeds, cache efficiency, cache bandwidth which is the speed the data goes from teh first Cache to to shader is all key here. TF is just a theoretctcal number if ALL THE SHADERS have data at a point in tiem and dont waste any clock cycles.

Have you played Yakuza? You really think there's more than 2.4Gb/s of data being displayed more than any other game before it and that's what's bottlenecking the X? And that's why the PS5 will reach higher frame rate compared to a 2080ti?

The stretching in this thread has reached levels I'm yet to see before. Anyone who's played Yakuza knows how badly the new engine is done, it's weird because the old engine didn't look much worse to my eyes and was butter smooth.

geordiemp

I'll put a years Gold bet on it if you honestly think this will run better on the PS5.

Have you played Yakuza? You really think there's more than 2.4Gb/s of data being displayed more than any other game before it and that's what's bottlenecking the X? And that's why the PS5 will reach higher frame rate compared to a 2080ti?

The stretching in this thread has reached levels I'm yet to see before. Anyone who's played Yakuza knows how badly the new engine is done, it's weird because the old engine didn't look much worse to my eyes and was butter smooth.

Whats SSD speed got to do with performance ? Both hardware have to run the same engine, so whats that got to do with it ?

One console runs a game better it appears until we get better analysis as its just a tweet.

I believe allot of games will run better on ps5. WE can discuss civily if you like.

mrmeh

This will happen allot... it's just maths. The Series S is not aimed at large 4k TV's and 900p on a 1080p TV is fine.

Still a big fan of the S for an extra console for my kids.

The special sauce guff has about as much chance as being true as Microsoft claiming the cloud makes the Xbox one 4 times more powerful.

Hope the consoles are not two far apart in power as that help's game development for both systems.

I may be naïve as I'm new here but I'm hoping people calm down when everything gets released :pie_thinking:

EdGalTBR

Banned
The Xbox Series S has the same RAM (8GB) and bandwidth (224GB/s) of the PS4 Pro. It's GPU has 4TF vs 4.2TF. So running Yakuza at 1440p vs 1080p is fine, almost double the resolution. So Yakuza Like a Dragon runs at:

Xbox Series X - 3840 x 2160 - 8.294.400 pixels
Xbox Series S - 2560 x 1440 - 3.686.400 pixels
PS4 Pro - 1920 x 1080 - 2.073.600 pixels

The Xbox Series S runs at almost 1/3 of Series X resolution (which is ok) and almost double of PS4 Pro. And remember that the Xbox One X has 40% more GPU power than the PS4 Pro.

Well, as we can see, the Series S GPU should be much more powerfull than the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X One.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Whats SSD speed got to do with performance ? Both hardware have to run the same engine, so whats that got to do with it ?

One console runs a game better it appears until we get better analysis as its just a tweet.

I believe allot of games will run better on ps5. WE can discuss civily if you like.

Because you're implying the PS5 will perform better when that's the only aspect the console is truly better than the X any other small aspects Sony are spinning to negate TF will have minimal impact compared to brute force, people like to imply the X is filled with bottlenecks we don't know about when the Surface team set out to build the most powerful console they're some of the most talented hardware makers in the tech world now they didn't push out the best GPU only to weaken its full ability elsewhere. My only point is there's no game in existence yet that's required even SSD speeds compared to normal 5400 speeds to increase frame rate it has no impact.

I'm interested to hear what games do you think will perform better on the PS5 than the X?

BeardGawd

Banned
Point being, if both in memory at the same time then there is less memory available to each. Either textures, models, variety, etc need to be reduced. Being able to swap out the memory almost instantly needs no such compromise.
This is a game that fits in Ps4's RAM. Clearly they shouldn't need to stream in anything on PS5 given it has even more available ram. The leaps people will make.

geordiemp

Because you're implying the PS5 will perform better when that's the only aspect the console is truly better than the X any other small aspects Sony are spinning to negate TF will have minimal impact compared to brute force, people like to imply the X is filled with bottlenecks we don't know about when the Surface team set out to build the most powerful console they're some of the most talented hardware makers in the tech world now they didn't push out the best GPU only to weaken its full ability elsewhere. My only point is there's no game in existence yet that's required even SSD speeds compared to normal 5400 speeds to increase frame rate it has no impact.

I'm interested to hear what games do you think will perform better on the PS5 than the X?

All of them will either be similar or there abouts, some will favour ps5, some wil favour XSX. But its so much more than TF.

All consoles have bottlenecks, all PCs have bottlenecks its how games run. TF assumes every shader has data and there are no cache misses, all data appears at the shader with no loss in clock cycles, it does not EVER happen and its theoretical, always has been.

If all cache speeds, cache bandwidth and everything is the same, then the higher TF will perform higher. Thats a big statement and we need to consider the layout and cache / speed diffrences as Ps5 and XSX are not even close to being similar..

XSX has L1 cache feeding 14 CU at 1.825 GHz, Ps5 has L1 cache feeding 10 CU at 2.23 Ghz - think of the CU as hungry mouths. Which will get fed better ? I am over simplifying this we could go on for pages.

Then there is how direct and performant apis are, having a common SDK is the new info from MS between console and PC. It will save man hours but its even more abstract (less direct). Take you pick.

However, its fine not to accept hardware talk, just look at the game performance thats the benchmark at the end of the day is all that matters..

Last edited:

Aidah

Was that transition to the city a split second load screen? If so thats incredible.
I'm not completely positive to be honest, it does look hard to believe. I mean loading the open world in that split second is some insane next-level stuff.

However, that split second where most of the screen goes black and white wouldn't be necessary if the open world was already in memory. So maybe it is the open world getting loaded in seamlessly and almost instantly.

Last edited:
All of them will either be similar or there abouts, some will favour ps5, some wil favour XSX. But its so much more than TF.

All consoles have bottlenecks, all PCs have bottlenecks its how games run. TF assumes every shader has data and there are no cache misses, all data appears at the shader with no loss in clock cycles, it does not EVER happen and its theoretical, always has been.

If all cache speeds, cache bandwidth and everything is the same, then the higher TF will perform higher. Thats a big statement and we need to consider the layout and cache / speed diffrences as Ps5 and XSX are not even close to being similar..

XSX has L1 cache feeding 14 CU at 1.825 GHz, Ps5 has L1 cache feeding 10 CU at 2.23 Ghz - think of the CU as hungry mouths. Which will get fed better ? I am over simplifying this we could go on for pages.

Then there is how direct and performant apis are, having a common SDK is the new info from MS between console and PC. It will save man hours but its even more abstract (less direct). Take you pick.

How does this demonstrate that the PS5 GPU outperforms the 2080 TI?

You're essentially trying to say that measurements and figures mean nothing and the PS5 has secret sauce to push it over the edge.

The XsX has more powerful GPU, CPU and RAM. A top of the line, money is no object, gaming pc will be even moreso in every category. Imaginary bottlenecks somehow negating that advantage is only wishful thinking on your part.

1440p on XSX is extremely embarrassing.

It has a 4k mode too?

fermcr

Xbox Series S seems like a big mistake, specially when you can get a PS5 digital for a extra 100€. Looks like Microsoft screwed-up again.

When Microsoft announced Xbox Series S for 300€, it seemed like a good idea from Microsoft... but, then Sony announced a PS5 digital for 400€, the Series S for 300€ became a bad deal.

Last edited:
How is the proxy console war going boys?

Were passing around fake PS5 4k60 bullshit and hanging the Series S out to dry for one unoptimized engine.

I'm just loving how stylish this game is and am looking forward to seeing how the turn based combat is. Dont forget to have fun fellow gamers.

BeardGawd

Banned
I'm not completely positive to be honest, it does look hard to believe. I mean loading the open world in that split second is some insane next-level stuff.

However, that split second where most of the screen goes black and white wouldn't be necessary if the open world was already in memory. So maybe it is the open world getting loaded in seamlessly and almost instantly.
It's a tunnel:

UnNamed

Banned
It has a 4k mode too?
4k/30
Yakuza 7 doesn't seem a next gen game. It's a turn based game, old style, old gen, probably developed with PS4 in mind.
It's not Flight Simulator, the game logic is relatively simple, you can reach 4K/60 reducing some effects, the game would be almost the same.
If you reach only 1440p on next gen, this means you have some CPU struggles somewhere, and considering XSX and PS5 have double the core at double the speed, this is even insulting.

sncvsrtoip

4k/30
Yakuza 7 doesn't seem a next gen game. It's a turn based game, old style, old gen, probably developed with PS4 in mind.
It's not Flight Simulator, the game logic is relatively simple, you can reach 4K/60 reducing some effects, the game would be almost the same.
If you reach only 1440p on next gen, this means you have some CPU struggles somewhere, and considering XSX and PS5 have double the core at double the speed, this is even insulting.

Did you not read the thread?

Dragon Engine is way less optimised than Flight Simulator and it's a straight GPU hog. This isn't a game that can be used as a barometer for next gen performance.

Further, it's not a next gen game at all, it's a port of a PS4 game already released. But that doesn't mean it runs effortlessly on anything. The best PC GPU money can buy can't hit, never mind lock, 60fps at 4k. I don't know why you expected the PS5 and XsX to be better.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aidah

It's a tunnel:

A "tunnel" on the side of a building doesn't make much sense unless it's to serve as an exit that can disguise loading. It's not a particularly good looking or detailed "tunnel" either.

The only reason I'm not completely convinced is because it's just too insane. It's not impossible that this particular indoor area was small enough for the outdoor not to be dumped from memory, but in that case an exit through a window or a door would've made more sense I'd imagine.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
Did you not read the thread?
Yes, and your reply confirms what I just said: old gen game shouldn't run like shit on next gen, and the unoptimized engine is not an excuse.

Or maybe I should pay this game with unoptimized money
81AGAI1D47L._AC_SX569_.jpg

Yes, and your reply confirms what I just said: old gen game shouldn't run like shit on next gen, and the unoptimized engine is not an excuse.

It runs like shit on everything though, we haven't actually seen a GPU that can run Dragon Engine at 4k/60fps locked.

The £1100 2080 TI averages 51fps, so why should the £450 XsX/PS5 average 60?

That drops to mid 20s. Nah, 1440/60 is the way to go and there is nothing embarrassing about it.

I agree 100%

I believe DF even said 1440p/60fps is absolutely the best option here.

For Series S, however, I'd consider 1440p/30fps unless it drops frequently outside of specific skills.

I love the Yakuza games but the new engine performs horribly. I've parked Yakuza 6 and Judgment on PS4 as they run at 900p and you are lucky to see 30fps when anything is happening (more like 20-25fps).

chonga

Last-gen engine not being optimized for next gen, I suspect.

I mean, we've seen Dirt 5 running at 120fps on a Series S. I'm certain it can run 60fps games at 1080p or higher.

Was that on the s too? I thought it was in the x only.
To my knowledge the only 120 footage we have seen is from this week and was all on XSX. It does do 120 on XSS, though. This was confirmed by the technical director. He said the goal is 30/60 options on base consoles and 60/120 on next gen - including XSS.

Given how the XSS version looks at 60fps I don't hold up much expectations for the 120fps output, mind you.

Self

I suspect there's going to be a long list of sub 1080p S games, especially if there's a 60fps mode. It's a 4TF machine, there's a limit to what it can do.

I was ok with 1080p, but 900p?
I hope this is just a special case...

Dibils2k

Why strange?

Why do you think it’s weaker? There’s a lot of variables in play that many are refusing to acknowledge that could give PS5 the edge on power.

You don’t know that.
i mean this is just delusion, double the performance on same resolution?

we know PS5 isnt that much weaker but we also know that its not that much stronger lol

Hunnybun

Is this like the worst engine in the world or something?

Yakuza games look like shit AND run like shit?

How do they squeeze so little out of the hardware?

BigLee74

Same old tired folk, having the same old tired laugh, on yet another game nobody has seen run on the PS5 yet.

Just setting yourself up for disappointment, gents. Especially if you believe the 4k/60 nonsense.

I see nobody put their money where their mouthy fingers are, and took that poster up on the gold bet. I'm now convinced you are just wind up merchants (and pretty good at it, to be fair).

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Why are the limits on an S | X or PS5 held to a higher standard than Switch though? It’s not Xbox or PlayStations fault that a 3rd party dev wasn’t able to optimise for their hardware(in a way it could be but that’s a different story).

They're much bigger, they're not handheld.

Kazza

I love the Yakuza games but the new engine performs horribly. I've parked Yakuza 6 and Judgment on PS4 as they run at 900p and you are lucky to see 30fps when anything is happening (more like 20-25fps).

The old engine didn't work great on PS3 either. I just loaded up my PS3 Yakuza 5 save this week and the framerate is really jerky (around 25-30 I'd guess). People were spoilt by the Yakuza 0/Kiwami PS4 ports, not realising that they were essentially PS3 games ported to PS4/Xbox/PC. On Cteam especially you see people who could run 0 on their potato PCs complaining that Kiwami 2 doesn't run half as well. The new engine has so many improvements (no loading, much more in terms of physics, details, lighting) that it's not surprising that it requires so much horsepower.

Sega normally sticks with the old engine for the first couple of "next gen" games, so console owners will probably be able to get a smooth 60 fps on Yakuza 8/Judgment 2 as well, but after that it will be back to 30 again (probably with raytracing and other fancy effects). I guess the Series S will be 1080p 30fps for those.

I don't se a problem with 900p/60 fps as an option. I think it would have been nice if Sony could have offered 720p 60 fps performance modes on their base PS4 exclusives. More options are always welcome, surely?

Kazza

Same old tired folk, having the same old tired laugh, on yet another game nobody has seen run on the PS5 yet.

Just setting yourself up for disappointment, gents. Especially if you believe the 4k/60 nonsense.

I see nobody put their money where their mouthy fingers are, and took that poster up on the gold bet. I'm now convinced you are just wind up merchants (and pretty good at it, to be fair).

Yep, it's a lot like groundhog day on here sometimes. Seems a lot of people are still drinking the "secret sauce" SSD kool-aid. No doubt they will scream at DF when their comparison videos don't show that secret sauce power, but it will become harder and harder to deny once NX Gamer and others show exactly the same results.

MastaKiiLA

Probably should wait to get confirmation on any of this before jumping to conclusions. That said, Sega is just a horrible company. While they were Dreamcasting, many of us were licking our chops at the thought of what they could do as a free agent software-only company. Well...it's not a whole lot. That arcade pedigree amounts to fuck all when they don't make hardware. Or so it seems.

Soooooo....Microsoft launches two fake nextgen consoles, with no nextgengameplay to be seen, advertising 12 TF in the beginning and, oh i wonder why, advertising old games and the secondhandpass now.

Beeing inferior to Sony is ok, why break a tradition.

yurinka

It's has a third of the Series X teraflops and a bit more of the half of its RAM, a crossgen AAA multi running at 900p 60fps with the same visual quality sounds legit.

I'd expect that, or 1080p with reduced visual quality (no RT/no cool lighting/no cool textures/no 60fps/etc) compared to Series X for most AAA multi games.

Don't be a fool, AAA games won't look exactly like in Series X but at native 1440p instead of 4K isn't realistic.

Last edited:

djjinx2

Soooooo....Microsoft launches two fake nextgen consoles, with no nextgengameplay to be seen, advertising 12 TF in the beginning and, oh i wonder why, advertising old games and the secondhandpass now.

Beeing inferior to Sony is ok, why break a tradition.

I can't tell who is serious or just trolling at this point

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia

Is the 1440P/120FPS confirmed for GOW5 on Series S ?

If a 1440p/60FPS mode is locked then we can lock the thread.

Last edited:
Is y7 using a more demanding engine than y2k? because Y2K runs at 1440p on a 2080 non ti @75 fps on average and from all the gameplay videos it does not look any better so I'm surprised it can not run at an 1080p locked 60 fps. Somethings wrong.

Last edited:
Top Bottom