• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Community Thread - FEEL THE HEAT!

Menitta

I wish I had the time to do that, but with 6 arriving soon I won't have the chance! Its a good move though, since there are a couple of references in 0 to that incident.

I don't want to B-line the story like I did my first playthrough, but if I don't get to Kiryu by the week of the 24th, I will. I'm starting on NG+ so it shouldn't be too hard.

BadRNG

Question for those who imported from demo, minor spoilers with secret boss:

Anyone gotten Amon after importing? Most the sites I can find are saying you only need to beat substory 24 and 50 to get his email, but I did that forever ago and no mail. I'm one hostess side quest from being done with all quests except him, I'm worried that since I did 24 in the demo it's not counting.

TR_

Goddamn it, I wish I hadn't clicked on that by accident. Not that I wanted Haruka to remain pure or anything. >_>

At first I felt pretty weird about it too. It was like seeing your daughter getting taken by someone else. The best part of the ending was seeing how happy she is with her new life and family. Especially when
Kiryu overlooks the orphanage from distance and slowing waking away showing that he's letting go of her
. It brought me to tears.

I'm gonna replay Yakuza 4 before 0 comes out. Of the ones I played, 4 was always my favorite mainline game (out of 3, 4, and 5). 4 had that scene which brought up how
Majima got his story started in 0
, so I figured it'd be fun to play again.
Once Yakuza 0 drops I plan on playing through the whole series from prequel to current. Not sure if I'll wait for Kiwami or just bring out the trusty ol PS2.

BadRNG

So the mail never popped even after clearing the final substory, but it did shortly after starting premium adventure. Not sure why it took so long to pop for me compared to others, but I'll take it.

On another note relating to possible bugs, watch out when maxing the hostess Hikaru, it seems like she sometimes acts as if you hadn't yet and won't trigger her sidequest, and then can be "locked" inaccessible in the hostess menu. Reloading an earlier save fixed it for me and others, but that could be time consuming depending on how old the save is...

Is Yakuza 6 really the last game? The ending really ends Kiryu's story perfectly and I felt so many emotions when
Kiryu visited the orphanage one more after faking his own death
I honestly hope not. Outside of the ways they can build on this gameplay, (massive story spoilers):

I was not overly satisfied with the conclusion to Kiryu's arc. It was incredibly badass, sure, especially that entire ending sequence but some of the drama felt forced. There was no real need for him to fake his death like that, him being legally dead doesn't somehow guarantee to shady politicians that he will never talk. In fact he could of agreed to stay quiet like proposed, and still demanded Daigo's release on top of that. Just as he said himself, Daigo being out helps them because it prevents a gang war possibly tying things to them.

This is also the kind of thing he wanted to yell at Haruka about for leaving in secret. Taking on unnecessary baggage to "protect" the family. Basically I am with Date, he's being an idiot. I almost got the impression they intentionally kept him alive post-credits because they wanted to leave the option open for another game, but that just resulted in watering everything down. Kind of like how they went back on Kiyomi's death.

I'd also be bummed if this was the final story for him because of how little the rest of the main cast really appeared. Majima/Saejima/Daigo being gone for the entire game except the epilogue was rough, Haruka wasn't much better with the coma, she was basically a story prop. If this is going to be the final tale, I want it to go out with a bang. Bring in the full crew for one last ride.

I see my copy of the game has entered the country, soon... Might have to duck out of this thread for a while though just to avoid any potential story spoilers, as this is the only other game (bar Resident Evil 7) that I'm trying not to spoil for myself!

I do see Saltyyen is going a playthrough/translation series for Yakuza 6 on youtube which is good news for anyone wanting a rough translation to the story for now (until the game gets released in English).

8VKYmNt4A.jpg

We'll probably have to do the same when Yakuza 0 drops lol
Speaking of which, who is doing the OT for that game? If you needed any assistance with the write-ups I'll be happy to help.

Huh.
Do we ever find out who the father is?

How long after Yakuza 5 does 6 take place?

Yes, he's a major character. The games always take place in the year they are released, I think.

Finished the game just now. A bit disappointed, the weakest game in the series since 3 imo, especially coming off RGG 0 which was fantastic. It is strangely bare-bones for a RGG game:

-no keys to collect
-no arena
-no gambling whatsoever
-only 50 substories of which 10 are throwaway hostess / snackbar quests
-northern part of Kamurocho and Champions District are sealed off. Like seriously, a gimped Kamurocho in a RGG game what the hell is this
-no weapons to buy and equip
-back to Kazuma's basic fighting style

The entire game is basically back to the basics, really. The big side activities, Clan Creator and the Baseball Team management, are also both complete unfun garbage. The things I liked:

-Anri Okita's tits
-the game has great characters, the entire Hiroshima gang, Someya, Hirose. Story is decent
-Hiroshima itself is a great area
-clearing the Hostess Club has never been less time-consuming.
-the snackbar. I totally ship Kiryu and Mama.
-Anri Okita's tits

It would be a total shame if this were the last game featuring Kiryu. He deserves a better finale with a better antagonist
my god, what a shitty fight with a shitty, whiny wannabe Yakuza

BadRNG

I love the clan creator, it's a fun little mode, if anything I wish there were more missions. They are all really easy outside of the bonus ones. I agree with basically everything else you said though, especially with it being the weakest since 3. Even if the weakest since 3 is still a pretty damn good game.

On your last point;
my favorite part about mr. daddy issues is that he essentially proved his father right. Didn't think he'd be cut out for the line of work and what did he do? Takes over and loses everything within the span of a couple days.

On your last point;
my favorite part about mr. daddy issues is that he essentially proved his father right. Didn't think he'd be cut out for the line of work and what did he do? Takes over and loses everything within the span of a couple days.

Yeah, that's pretty funny indeed.
But really, I wanted a great villain for Kiryu's final story, instead we got this pathetic pretender.

Goddamn, I'm half tempted to read those Yakuza 6 spoilers...I mean, I went through a good portion of Zero's stuff (mind you this was before the initial announcement for Zero's localization), except for maybe the ending because it's a prequel and I'm going to play it anyways...but this is Kiryu's (supposed) finale, can't use that same justification for spoiling myself even if I'm going to play it anyways. It's gonna be a long wait, but I can take it.

Goddamn, I'm half tempted to read those Yakuza 6 spoilers...I mean, I went through a good portion of Zero's stuff (mind you this was before the initial announcement for Zero's localization), except for maybe the ending because it's a prequel and I'm going to play it anyways...but this is Kiryu's (supposed) finale, can't use that same justification for spoiling myself even if I'm going to play it anyways. It's gonna be a long wait, but I can take it.
98TLoCv8t.gif

Stay strong.

Aki-at

Yeah same, no matter how badly they might have ruined the game, I still want to be part of this adventure if this is really Kazuma's final adventure.

(Or reboot the series where him and Nishiki are a buddy cop team taking down yakuzas.)

Yeah same, no matter how badly they might have ruined the game, I still want to be part of this adventure if this is really Kazuma's final adventure.

(Or reboot the series where him and Nishiki are a buddy cop team taking down yakuzas.)

Please no. If anything, they need to let us be real Yakuzas.

But 70% of the Yakuza games is detective work. Time to go the full mile and remake Kiryu and Nishiki as Holmes and Watson.

Goda and Mine can be the follow up sequel as budding yakuzas teaming up tho.
Lol.

Nah, I wanna be able to fuck people as a true Yakuza member, rising up the ranks, creating my own legend.

I'd rather they just do another spinoff Yakuza game focusing on Date investigating a murder/mystery in Kamuracho. That'd actually mean they'd use him for more than a two minute cameo (since the last few games before 6 he's not had much screen time at all) and keep the main series focused on members of the Yakuza.

Speaking of which, I see from my tracking number that my copy of Yakuza 6 arrived today! So I can finally start playing the game, can't wait!

Yeah, I don't mind it for spin-off titles. Though, I definitely wouldn't mind another Ishin/Kenzan kind of spin-off either.

I still have no idea. But that's Yakuza alright!
Lol.
It's a live chat mini-game in Yakuza 6. The gameplay is similar to Karaoke in which you have to press the right buttons at the right time to have a conversation with the girl.

Menitta

I almost think they should've had the first PS4-only Yakuza game be a spin-off. It would've been a good way to test the waters of being PS4 only. The entries from Ishin to Kiwami were on PS3 as well, and all the PS4 really added was resolution and framerate. Also Yakuza 6 looks to be Sega's best looking game to date, visually. The way it's described here (which is the foundation of this post lol) makes it obvious that they put more effort into visuals and graphics instead of features and content. I'd be willing to bet that the next Yakuza game, whether it be Kiwami 2 or another spin-off, will have more content.

I'll still gonna get Yakuza 6. I almost feel obligated to support the localizations of this series.

Edit: Also this series is like Zelda in how every single entry (that's not Dead Souls) is either the worst or the best depending on who you ask, so I don't know! I was told that Yakuza 0 is the worst in the series, but I was also told that it's better than 2! I don't know what to believe! In a way, it's kinda the best problem.

Edit 2: Is there a side quest where a guy quits his job, divorces his wife and goes treasure hunting? Please say yes...

Yeah, I'll get Y6 day one for sure, but I have to admit that the disappointment talk has me a little worried about it. I should've expected the game to have lesser amount of contents due to the huge bump in the visuals and the fact that they reworked a lot of stuff like animations. But the trailers showed tons of variety so I was hoping that they've added these stuff in addition to other contents that we already had in the past entries.

Maybe it would've been a better idea if they did a PS4 only spin-off entry with their updated engine before doing Y6? Or if they had Kamurocho as the only location for Y6 and focused mainly on that?

At any rate, I'm hoping to see another Kiwami or spin-off game before Yakuza 7/Yakuza Reboot.

I think it part of the pitfalls RGG studios has to deal with reworking the series on a new platform and engine, even with the changes to the PS3 with Yakuza 3 to the new engine in 5/0/Kiwami, they all still behaved similar to a degree from ground work of the PS2 games.

Here in 6 (from what I've messed around with), a large portion of Kamurocho changed with the new system, old buildings from the past games are gone (Club Deborah for example, no longer exists), establishments have changed (the batting cages now have a back/rooftop area), and now the area has been streamlined of sorts to accommodate the new entering/exiting without loading.

One could just chalk it up to meeting a deadline, so maybe the following game will see more put in or expanded now that the new Kamurocho has been established...though that will be a while so I imagine in the mean we're either getting another historical spin-off OR Kiwami 2 (I'd like to see the latter actually).

Menitta

For me, I'll probably get a lot more mileage out of Yakuza 6's side content than most Yakuza games because Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown is in it. I'm still blown away that they did that.

I kinda don't want another historical spin off for a few reasons. I haven't finished Kenzan or Ishin, and both of those games have covered two eras already. Also, I highly doubt it'll get localized. I mostly want Kiwami 2.

Can you imagine a Yakuza that takes place in the 1930s (that's when the rise of Yakuza, specifically the Yamaguchi Gumi were on the rise)? And since Kiryu is no longer the main character, the developers can focus on the leader of the Tojo-Kai.

IrishNinja

Can you imagine a Yakuza that takes place in the 1930s (that's when the rise of Yakuza, specifically the Yamaguchi Gumi were on the rise)? And since Kiryu is no longer the main character, the developers can focus on the leader of the Tojo-Kai.

i was watching Battles Without Honor and Humanity wanting just this very thing

Gotta say, the extras you get with the DX edition of Yakuza 6 are really nice. My copy arrived yesterday and it came with two really nice shot glasses (with Kiryu's and Majima's Tattoos on the glasses) and a really nice saucer. I'll snap a couple of pics if anyone is interested.

Gotta say, the extras you get with the DX edition of Yakuza 6 are really nice. My copy arrived yesterday and it came with two really nice shot glasses (with Kiryu's and Majima's Tattoos on the glasses) and a really nice saucer. I'll snap a couple of pics if anyone is interested.

Please do!

I didn't even see that there was a deluxe edition. Now I feel bad. Oh well, I at least got a neat hostess calendar from Lawson HMV that I didn't think I'd preordered in time for, so that was neat. I took pics and I can post later.

I uhh, I may have seen a few films with this woman in it. Scientific research, if you will.

Menitta

Somehow, my phone is set to notify me whenever SegaAmerica uploads a Yakuza video onto YouTube. How? I don't know. But I like it.

Top Bottom