• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Community Thread - FEEL THE HEAT!

cj_iwakura

yeah? how so? i mean, my dude Akiyama was just kinda...there, for the most part. and I guess Saejima really didn't advance much either...

Because at the end of Y4,
Saejima steps into the Dojima Clan like he deserves. Kiryu steps up and takes an active role as well. Akiyama and Tanimura are happy with their stations in life.

Haruka becomes the leader of her own clan and rules over Kamurocho with an iron fist, you get the idea.

Well, the last part is wishful thinking, admittedly.

Because at the end of Y4,
Saejima steps into the Dojima Clan like he deserves. Kiryu steps up and takes an active role as well. Akiyama and Tanimura are happy with their stations in life.

Haruka becomes the leader of her own clan and rules over Kamurocho with an iron fist, you get the idea.

Well, the last part is wishful thinking, admittedly.
Oh man, don't get me started on how bad the story in that game was (as a continuation from Yakuza 4). I mean I like Yakuza 5 for its vast amount of contents and some of the moments that it have
that Akiyama moment in final chapter is the most badass thing in any game
, but man, the story and characters don't make much sense for the majority of the game.

I mean, they even ruined Majima's character in that game and turned him into a useless chump...

IrishNinja

that Akiyama moment in final chapter is the most badass thing in any game
, but man, the story and characters don't make much sense for the majority of the game.

I mean, they even ruined Majima's character in that game and turned him into a useless chump...

oh man, that akiyama scene was so worth it! and yeah, majjy got chumped, but honestly watching daigo try to not get chumped for once & appearing kinda badass but still needing to be saved was kinda ugghhhh

Gacha-pin

Onomichi's secret

Well, the back story of that ship is, here is a man called Dadoji who is an underground fixer type guy behind everything in postwar Japan. He has great influence on many statesmen and politicians and is controlling postwar Japan in someway. During the war, he was a navy's high class officer. He embezzled Japan's war expenses and ordered a battleship to Iwami (or Kurusu as a boss of a yakuza family in Hiroshima). But the war ended before the ship takes service. He had to hide the ship for dodging an accusation of his (war) crimes. So he ordered Iwami to hide the ship and then destroy it in some point by offering financial and political supports to Iwami. Iwami hid the ship but hasn't obeyed to destroy it so that he can get some power against Dodaiji.

Due to Daidoji's supports, Iwami keeps hiring Onomichi's people for his company or Onomichi relies on Daidoji's support. Kurusu (Iwami as a yakuza boss in Hiroshima) can keep his small yakuza family independent from Omi the biggest yakuza organization in Japan.

Revealing the secret will cause problems to many people, places, organizations. It will affect Iwami/Kurusu and Onomichi. Daidoji sure doesn't want to reveal it for himself. And the biggest one is Japanese statesmen and politicians will be in the biggest postwar scandal.

oh man, that akiyama scene was so worth it! and yeah, majjy got chumped, but honestly watching daigo try to not get chumped for once & appearing kinda badass but still needing to be saved was kinda ugghhhh
Honestly, Akiyama has to be the next legend/protag of series. The set-up in Yakuza 5 was perfect.

As for Daigo, come on Irish, we all know he is secretly Yakuza series' damsel in distress lol

Well, the back story of that ship is, here is a man called Dadoji who is an underground fixer type guy behind everything in postwar Japan. He has great influence on many statesmen and politicians and is controlling postwar Japan in someway. During the war, he was a navy's high class officer. He embezzled Japan's war expenses and ordered a battleship to Iwami (or Kurusu as a boss of a yakuza family in Hiroshima). But the war ended before the ship takes service. He had to hide the ship for dodging an accusation of his (war) crimes. So he ordered Iwami to hide the ship and then destroy it in some point by offering financial and political supports to Iwami. Iwami hid the ship but hasn't obeyed to destroy it so that he can get some power against Dodaiji.

Due to Daidoji's supports, Iwami keeps hiring Onomichi's people for his company or Onomichi relies on Daidoji's support. Kurusu (Iwami as a yakuza boss in Hiroshima) can keep his small yakuza family independent from Omi the biggest yakuza organization in Japan.

Revealing the secret will cause problems to many people, places, organizations. It will affect Iwami/Kurusu and Onomichi. Daidoji sure doesn't want to reveal it for himself. And the biggest one is Japanese statesmen and politicians will be in the biggest postwar scandal.

Wonderful, that explains things far, far, far clearer. Thanks :) I missed the whole
War Crimes bit
which would have made more sense. Still a crazy revelation though!

Tain

Anybody have any footage of Majima dancing to silence from the street performer statue mission where you have to distract the crowd? All the YouTube videos I saw go straight to singing. :(

edit: this should be in the Yakuza 0 thread, sorry

Aki-at

I like 5 a lot :/

Saejima's story kinda sucked but I really enjoyed that game. Haruka's part was the most intriguing and rhythm games are fun.

Yakuza 5 is my favourite in the series actually, it finally embraced the machoism the series was riding on at the time and just threw us into one hell of a ride.

By this point I was finally done with the Yakuza series having any logical story telling and more down to amazing scene direction. Yeah the Yakuza 4 story gimmick
Rubber bullets... Rubber bullets everywhere!
broke me haha.

I find this comment a bit puzzling, I had though Yakuza games were known to have good storylines? I am enjoying the story of Yakuza 0 so far.

They're amazing for video game standards. But because they're video games they will have a lot of stuff that don't really make sense or conveniently brush it under the rug. Still enjoy them immensely but if they were adapted into a TV show it might not be winning any awards!

IrishNinja

Honestly, Akiyama has to be the next legend/protag of series. The set-up in Yakuza 5 was perfect.

As for Daigo, come on Irish, we all know he is secretly Yakuza series' damsel in distress lol

i would love a game of Akiyama as the main, yes! you're right, that really did set it up well

and damn, i just really hoped they'd grow daigo beyond that. part of me still wishes they'dve resolved things by somehow having kazzy heel turn, daigo & co rising up to take him down/reclaim the tojo seat, and him walking off in the sunset saying they're finally ready to run things

i would love a game of Akiyama as the main, yes! you're right, that really did set it up well

and damn, i just really hoped they'd grow daigo beyond that. part of me still wishes they'dve resolved things by somehow having kazzy heel turn, daigo & co rising up to take him down/reclaim the tojo seat, and him walking off in the sunset saying they're finally ready to run things
Irish, my friend. You have to accept the fact that Daigo is and will always be a chump :p

Hobbun

They're amazing for video game standards. But because they're video games they will have a lot of stuff that don't really make sense or conveniently brush it under the rug. Still enjoy them immensely but if they were adapted into a TV show it might not be winning any awards!

Oh yes, I understand the difference between standards on storyline between video games and/or books or TV/movies. But that’s something that’s been around for a long time, so nothing to hold Yakuza to.

I’ve long come to acceptance that video games is never going to have as strong a story, so never try to compare it to other media. I only base stories in video games compared to other video games.

It seems to be for the Western version so it's probably something to tide over the new/existing fans that never got a chance to play.

SEGA doesn't plan RGG entries according to the west, that's something they usually seem to plan after the game's been released in Asia/JPN.

bluethree

Man I really wish I hadn't sold my copies of 1 and 2, but admittedly I wasn't as into the series before giving it a 2nd chance with 3. At least here in Japan I can pick up the HD collections (or even the original games for cheap).

firelogic

From a gameplay perspective, how difficult is it going to be to go from Yakuza 0/Kiwami to Yakuza 2?

There isn't any style switching and there's only one playable character, and money isn't in abundance. You won't have a problem throughout the game but you won't be rolling in it like in 0.

Menitta

Not too awful. Yakuza 2 had a fair bit of quality of life stuff over the original release of Yakuza 1.

Not hard at all. You should be able to transition just fine. Gameplay in Y2 is definitely better than Y1 (PS2).

There isn't any style switching and there's only one playable character, and money isn't in abundance. You won't have a problem throughout the game but you won't be rolling in it like in 0.

Ok that's good. In that case I'll probably play it after I play Kiwami. I'd imagine going from 0 to Yakuza 1 on PS2 would be awful. As for the money thing, that's gonna be tough to get used to regardless of what I play next lol. I won't be able to buy 20 stamina royales at once.

Thanks for the responses!

Hope people ordering from VGP are using PayPal and not their card directly. Heard of a lot of cases of card fraud on this site but paypal is fine.

Kazzy

Yeah, everyone should get on it. Really beats having to source them all through ebay!

And if you like Yakuza in any respect, they do hold up.

Well, apart from the localization weirdness of 1, but we're pretty well-versed in that at this point.

robotrock

Banned
I was going to play Nioh after Yakuza 0 but now I'm happily enjoying the copy of Yakuza 4 I got from PS Plus years ago.

I have to say though that, when watching the Yakuza reminisce part, I realized that Yakuza 0 does a pretty fucking great job at making the plot points of the first Yakuza hit hard as hell. A part of me deeply regrets spoiling myself on all of that and not waiting for Kiwami.

I do want to try Yakuza 1 but don't have a functional PS2...please bring it on PSN
at more reasonable price

If you have a decent computer you can emulate the first game. I played it through that way a couple of years back thinking they'd never do an HD update of it (then the day I finished it they announced 1&2 HD for PS3!). Or you could just get the PS3 HD update, which basically feels just like playing the game on the PC (in that the load times before fights is eliminated and its in HD, only now you also get a few little improvements like item management through phone booths which was absent until Kenzan).

Menitta

DYKG made an episode about Yakuza Ishin, in case anyone is interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj1hLnsxCKo

This is a very cool video. While I understand not wanting to localize it because of the state of Yakuza in the west and it's cultural theme not resonating with Western audiences, I think that if Ishin was released at the launch of the PS4 it would've sold ok. At the time, the PS4 had barely any noteworthy games. I think people would've been down for a badass samurai game.

Also I love Nagoshi's view towards this series. Making any game for a worldwide audience, let alone Yakuza, would make it forgettable.

I mean if Way of the Samurai can make it to the west 4 times.....

I really do hope they'll port Ishin eventually. It definitely won't sell as well as Y0 or any of the mainline games but it can certainly sell enough to be profitable.

Also I love Nagoshi's view towards this series. Making any game for a worldwide audience, let alone Yakuza, would make it forgettable.

I do mainly appreciate this approach as well. While I'm glad we finally have a new game engine for 6 (with the elimination of load times etc.) I wouldn't want the series to change that much to try and fit in with a worldwide audience. The tone of the stories, side stories and the combat are all part of the charm of the game not to mention the wealth of well designed mini games, I just can't think of another game series that really puts that type of attention to detail into this stuff.

Hey guys.Has any Gaffer played Yakuza 6?Did we have any impressions maybe on an older post?Because man I heard some things about 6 on Gamefaqs and some youtube reviews, like that the story is very disappointing, the game has less things to do, the combat is completely changed and less fun and that it also has technical problems with unstable frame rate.
Has anyone heard of those things?

Man, I really don't want to believe that they screwed this up, it's the final chapter for Kiriyu so I want it to be great but hearing those things it makes me disheartening

There are a few people who have played 6 that have posted impressions, Shadowman16 has posted the most comprehensive.

In regards to what I've seen posted in the thread, the story seems to have elements which are divisive. Some will like it and appreciate it, some won't.

The game does have less things to do overall but there are new things as well.

The combat has become pretty basic from what I've seen but the new animations and new physics system makes the combat just as fun as ever. And I can just imagine how fun it would be to wander around the city and get into fights and move around without a loading screen.

The technical problems seem to be mainly on the base PS4 version, with screen tearing being an issue. The Pro version seems to run just fine.

But do look back at previous posts in the thread (perhaps coinciding with the release date of RGG6) and you can get an idea.

Hey guys.Has any Gaffer played Yakuza 6?Did we have any impressions maybe on an older post?Because man I heard some things about 6 on Gamefaqs and some youtube reviews, like that the story is very disappointing, the game has less things to do, the combat is completely changed and less fun and that it also has technical problems with unstable frame rate.
Has anyone heard of those things?

Man, I really don't want to believe that they screwed this up, it's the final chapter for Kiriyu so I want it to be great but hearing those things it makes me disheartening

Outside of story the rest just seems to be the result of creating a brand new engine on PS4. They just couldn't use the same assets, animations, models, etc from before so there is necessarily less content. I imagine that future games will expand a bit more on things again.

Yakuza Fans had a nice video review covering the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7lJzubsKX8

Most of the content/performance issues on 6 is just down to using a new engine, it runs fun on the PS4 Pro, though it could use some anti aliasing to smooth out the rough edges in the game.
Story is a matter of opinion. For the most part I loved it. The new characters (bar one) are excellent and the final scene in the ending is just brilliant. Its just a pity that a few choices in the final couple of chapters hurt the overall end of the story a bit (in my opinion). Then again, I've seen people take real offense to
the handling of Haruka
in the game, while I didn't really see any issues with that. Its definitely got one of the most bizarre twists in the series late in the game that's for sure, not bad per se, just up there with the whole Osaka Castle bit in 2 in terms of suspension of disbelief.

Content wise people are quick to point out what's missing, but ignore that 6 actually adds a nice amount of new content to the game - the arcade for example is greatly expanded on with new games (Puyo Puyo and the amazing VF5), new difficulty settings for other arcade games that make them far more playable to people such as myself. Also, all returning mini games see significant changes whether it be in terms of presentation and mechanics - so Karaoke and Darts are perhaps the best they've ever been.

Side stories are less in number, but fully voiced and in my opinion much better in quality. There are quite a few here that are brilliant, and the voice acting helps add an extra emotional layer to them. Now if they can just do something about those stiff idle animations we'll be in business.

Combat again is complicated one. Its on the one hand less complicated than 0 or Kiwami due to only having one style, however it feels far more fluid both in animations and execution. Heat moves are all redone from scratch animations wise so we have a nice mix of new ones, and returning favourites. Weapons however are largely missing outside of knives, hammers, swords, crowbars etc. The lack of load times also add a nice new dimension to fights - having them take place in areas where you couldn't fight before - convenience store brawls never cease to entertain me!

Honestly the main issue with this game is that they decided to move engine on the end of Kiryu's story. If the devs had another year to develop the engine and build on what we already have I bet it'd be a different story. Might have been a better idea to have them release an side story instead last year using the engine to "test" it, and then released Yakuza 6 this year with more features.

Top Bottom