• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Community Thread - FEEL THE HEAT!

So i've done all the avatars now.

And I figured people are going to ask who everyone is - so I've done a character chart like the ones you find in J-Dramas.

Though I've played all the mainline games, I'm not that well versed in Yakuza lore, can anyone check this for mistakes? Comments welcome too.

WyXrZHU.jpg

Hmm... just had a thought - is Kazama in or out of the Tojo Clan at the start of the game? In isn't he? But out of the Dojima family?
That might seem a bit spoilery for people who haven't played Yakuza 1 before (aka people who have started the series with Y0).

You probably shouldn't talk about stuff like Nishiki killing Dojima.

That might seem a bit spoilery for people who haven't played Yakuza 1 before (aka people who have started the series with Y0).

Hmm... that's a good point. Its basic plot for Yakuza 1 but for anyone still playing 0 that could be seen as a pretty big spoiler!

Jimrpg

Are you sure you want to include
Jingu
in that diagram? I always felt his reveal was sorta a big plot point/potential spoiler for new players. Just my .2 cents on it. Otherwise it looks ace :)

Oh shit right, I didn't even realize.
Jingu
being there is a spoiler!

Hmm... that's a good point. Its basic plot for Yakuza 1 but for anyone still playing 0 that could be seen as a pretty big spoiler!

Thanks, I'm glad I'm running this past you guys. I've taken out the spoilers. When I made the chart, I thought whatever was in the story mode trailer would make sense to have in the chart, but on second thoughts its better without spoilers.

Here's the updated chart -

Also I made these avatars, do you think they are spoilery?

MKngINs.jpg
uyEswZt.jpg
NGILjcn.jpg

cj_iwakura

Thanks, I'm glad I'm running this past you guys. I've taken out the spoilers. When I made the chart, I thought whatever was in the story mode trailer would make sense to have in the chart, but on second thoughts its better without spoilers.

MKngINs.jpg
uyEswZt.jpg
NGILjcn.jpg

Looks good to me. Should include the dancing guy from 0, lol.

Jimrpg

i don't think so. i don't know who they are since i never played the first one (though i have a ps2 copy of 1+2 but never got to it)

ah ok.

well I can tell you - the character relationships are more or less right at minute 0, but if you want to go in completely fresh then its better to not look at the chart. suffice to say, the official story mode trailer is a lot more spoilery and covers the premise of the game, which the chart here doesn't do.

But the chart does spoiler some things about Yakuza 0 though which may be an issue for people who are still playing it. I will probably "quote" the character chart, so people who want to read it, can click on it themselves.

Having said that, all the avatars offered are from Yakuza: Kiwami, so its kind of spoilery in that way if you know a character returns. :S This happens with every sequel though, so I think we just have to draw a line somewhere...

Gacha-pin

MKngINs.jpg
uyEswZt.jpg
NGILjcn.jpg

Akimoto and Mizuki, aka the most important character in the first game, are missing in the character chart too :mad:

Joking aside, Kazama has his own family but he is also a member of Dojima family.

As for the avatar collection for the upcoming Kiwami OT, you should add a female bug inspector kid avatar.

That kid always fucking creeped me out in the Japanese version. I can't put my finger on why, its something about the lab coat and always being around an arcade machine that showed off scantily clad girls beating the crap out of each other. It was just weird!

Jimrpg

Akimoto and Mizuki, aka the most important character in the first game, are missing in the character chart too :mad:

Joking aside, Kazama has his own family but he is also a member of Dojima family.

As for the avatar collection for the upcoming Kiwami OT, you should add a female bug inspector kid avatar.

You had me worried for a second! (Because I just posted the thread.)

As for Kazama, this is why I've never been exactly sure where he lies if he's part of the Dojima family or not. He probably should be under the Tojo Clan in the chart seeing as he sits in the meetings. I might adjust it when I get time.

As for the kid, I'll see what I can do. ;)

Juuuust chiming in here with some quick feedback on that chart before fools go and get confused -- (Don't get me wrong, the effort is fantastic!)

First of all, good job not mixing up the 1995 and 2005 timelines in there. Things change drastically in those ten years and people get really screwed up by it.

Dojima and Shimano are not "captains" of the Tojo Clan, they're direct patriarchs. There is no current clan captain (successor to the chairmanship) in 1995, which is part of the reason the shit show begins.

Kiryu's newly localized title is "Lieutenant Advisor" (JP: Shategashira). Think of this as a senior lieutenant who reports directly to and advises the family captain. (By contrast, Kuze, Awano, and Shibusawa were all equally lieutenants, and while Kuze had seniority, he never technically outranked the other two.)

Nishikiyama is not a lieutenant (BTW, you used his 2005 "I'm evil now" image there). Still just a member of the fam.

Majima is now captain (not lieutenant) of the Shimano Family and he has own sub family of which is he the patriarch. He's basically the same rank as Kazama now, which is some shit.

Kazama is confusing af, I know, but he's still in the same place he was in 0 in 1995 - Captain of the Dojima Family, (but running the show, basically) and Patriarch of his own direct sub family.

"Direct" is a term introduced to refer to families who have a seat at the Tojo Clan table. IE, Dojima, Kazama, Shimano are direct patriarchs, but Majima is not. It's not used much, but if you keep an eye out for it, you'll find it.

Jimrpg

Juuuust chiming in here with some quick feedback on that chart before fools go and get confused -- (Don't get me wrong, the effort is fantastic!)

First of all, good job not mixing up the 1995 and 2005 timelines in there. Things change drastically in those ten years and people get really screwed up by it.

Dojima and Shimano are not "captains" of the Tojo Clan, they're direct patriarchs. There is no current clan captain (successor to the chairmanship) in 1995, which is part of the reason the shit show begins.

Kiryu's newly localized title is "Lieutenant Advisor" (JP: Shategashira). Think of this as a senior lieutenant who reports directly to and advises the family captain. (By contrast, Kuze, Awano, and Shibusawa were all equally lieutenants, and while Kuze had seniority, he never technically outranked the other two.)

Nishikiyama is not a lieutenant (BTW, you used his 2005 "I'm evil now" image there). Still just a member of the fam.

Majima is now captain (not lieutenant) of the Shimano Family and he has own sub family of which is he the patriarch. He's basically the same rank as Kazama now, which is some shit.

Kazama is confusing af, I know, but he's still in the same place he was in 0 in 1995 - Captain of the Dojima Family, (but running the show, basically) and Patriarch of his own direct sub family.

"Direct" is a term introduced to refer to families who have a seat at the Tojo Clan table. IE, Dojima, Kazama, Shimano are direct patriarchs, but Majima is not. It's not used much, but if you keep an eye out for it, you'll find it.

This is amazing. Thanks so much for clarifying and exactly what I wanted. This is why I'm not in localization, the attention to detail, is off the charts! ;P

I had to read it a couple of times but I think most of it makes sense. I'll give it a shot fixing the chart in the next couple of days, its past midnight here and I need to go to bed.

And welcome back to the forums.

EDIT: I'm cringing hard at my chart now. Thanks a lot :p

Reading all this has gotten me unreasonably hyped for Kiwami. Still a few weeks to go :(

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Posting in here because the Yakuza 5 thread seems dead.

Currently playing through Harukas story and wondered if there's any chance later to try and complete all her substories for completion to unlock Amon or do I have to do them all now? I'm really not enjoying all this pop idol stuff, not my cup of tea and would rather focus on her story.

Opa-Pa

Posting in here because the Yakuza 5 thread seems dead.

Currently playing through Harukas story and wondered if there's any chance later to try and complete all her substories for completion to unlock Amon or do I have to do them all now? I'm really not enjoying all this pop idol stuff, not my cup of tea and would rather focus on her story.

There's a point during the final chapter where you can do all of Haruka's extra stuff and the game even warns you it's your last chance to do it, so you should be fine skipping those for now.

Gen X

Sweet, thanks, that helps. There's only so many times I can keep playing the same songs and replaying the comedy routine. 😂

Gen X

In Yakuza 5 in Akiyamas story does he not need to take photos if you've already taken them with Haruka? I can't see any guide online that outlines this.

I'm holding you responsible Luce for me buying Abigail yesterday on SFV. It must have been that avatar hypnotising me! (to be fair though, I actually do like him quite a bit).

In Yakuza 5 in Akiyamas story does he not need to take photos if you've already taken them with Haruka? I can't see any guide online that outlines this.

Yeah, you only need to do it if you've not already done so with Haruka since they share the same city.

Gen X

Yeah, you only need to do it if you've not already done so with Haruka since they share the same city.

Thanks. Feels good being back into the fighting again. I didn't enjoy the missions in Harukas chapter but geez the story was quite good actually. Need to source 0 now so its arrived in time when I finished #5. I've played nothing but Yakuza the last month, #4 now #5. 😂

Jimrpg

This is literally the reason we built the experience site, and if you check out 1995 in the character map, it'll have everything you need if you get lost. =)

Although it was way easier to take a screenshot of the character map on the official site, I decided to stick it out with my original and made some changes.

One question I had while I was doing that - is there any reason given why Kiryu isn't in Kazama's family. Is it because Kazama didn't want Kiryu to be a Yakuza?

Gen X

Ordered Yakuza 0 from the UK today (I live in NZ and the game was 60% cheaper New from UK) so should arrive within 2 weeks. If I finish #5 before then I'll chip away at some trophies over the previous 3 to tie me over. And soon it's Kiwami time baby!

Jimrpg

Ordered Yakuza 0 from the UK today (I live in NZ and the game was 60% cheaper New from UK) so should arrive within 2 weeks. If I finish #5 before then I'll chip away at some trophies over the previous 3 to tie me over. And soon it's Kiwami time baby!

Bit off topic, but NZ really get screwed over with prices don't they?

I was on the Nintendo eshop last night and Nintendo Classics had a label - "AU$49.95, NZ$69.95."

Considering its been almost 1:1 for the last 10~15 years? such a joke!

Back on topic - Still a fair way to go till the end of Yakuza 5 if you've just finished Haruka's section. Take your time though and explore, I think the game is better that way.

Gacha-pin

That kid always fucking creeped me out in the Japanese version. I can't put my finger on why, its something about the lab coat and always being around an arcade machine that showed off scantily clad girls beating the crap out of each other. It was just weird!

Well, this and pocket racer, kids hanging around Kamurocho (or Kabukicho in the real world) is the weird thing and kinda unrealistic. On the contrary, when Haruka appears in Kamurocho befor Kiryu finds her, people who see her are like "Why is that girl walking in this town alone!?"

Darkside Nishiki image is used in the 1995 character map.

One question I had while I was doing that - is there any reason given why Kiryu isn't in Kazama's family. Is it because Kazama didn't want Kiryu to be a Yakuza?

Kazama wanted to give more challenging position to him and to Nishiki. To receive "sakazuki" from Dojima is better than receive it from Kazama in the Tojo clan hierarchy. BTW, how is "sakazuki" translated in the English version?

Gen X

Bit off topic, but NZ really get screwed over with prices don't they?

I was on the Nintendo eshop last night and Nintendo Classics had a label - "AU$49.95, NZ$69.95."

Considering its been almost 1:1 for the last 10~15 years? such a joke!

It's about .9:1 now thereabouts but I suppose lack of demand/smaller population plays a part bit yeah, our full rrp is high and we don't get day one sale prices like Target and Kmart over here. I import most of my games from UK anyway as my gaming purchases have slowed way down this gen. I used to buy about 20+ retail games a year, now I'm lucky if I buy 6.

Back on topic - Still a fair way to go till the end of Yakuza 5 if you've just finished Haruka's section. Take your time though and explore, I think the game is better that way.

Im trying to do all the all the side quests as they unlock and not really focusing on progressing the story. I've never finished them all in any of the Yakuzas I've played although I only miss about 4-7 of them.

I'm certainly enjoying having all these new locations this time around after having 2 games in a row focus just on Kamurocho.

IrishNinja

PrinceOfWhatever is hard at work on the Kiwami OT - can't wait! thinking of bumping the series starter guide a short time before.

_Ryo_

Quick question. What should I buy? Yakuza Kiwami when it releases or Yakuza 0? Which has more content and mini games? Which is the better story? I have the first Yakuza on PS2. Never finished it, so should I play remake or 0? I only have $40 to spend.

Quick question. What should I buy? Yakuza Kiwami when it releases or Yakuza 0? Which has more content and mini games? Which is the better story? I have the first Yakuza on PS2. Never finished it, so should I play remake or 0? I only have $40 to spend.
If you can get it for 40$ then Yakuza 0.

Not only does it have more content and mini-games and the better story, it also leads naturally into Kiwami as it's a prequel.

But Kiwami is releasing for 30$ so.....

IrishNinja

Kiwami looks like a much-needed update/overhaul of part 1 and i really can't wait for it

0 is my GOTY and the perfect jumping-on point

Gacha-pin

I would finish 1 and then go to 0.

More contents and mini games --> Yakuza 0
Better story --> Yakuza 0

At the end of the day, both are really great games, but if you can find Yakuza 0 for $40 then definitely buy that. If not, then you'll be fine with playing Kiwami. But definitely play Kiwami over Yakuza 1 on PS2.

_Ryo_

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I am jusy as conflicted as when I started though. Maybe I will go with Kawami.

But for those that have played 0 or both could you list the mini games and amount of side quests for each game?

Hmm... I was thinking about how they could possibly re-brand the series in the west for whatever they wanna announce next month, and I think something like this could work.
GEIMJJl.png

GEIMCVp.png

Top Bottom