• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Community Thread - FEEL THE HEAT!

That's nice but since clearly Akiyama is taking over the role of protagonist, it should read "Like a Homeless Badass"
Lol.

After you know what, It's only fair for him to have a legend of his own. I won't accept anything less.

Edit: So original...
GEIULsd.png

Jimrpg

Lol.

After you know what, It's only fair for him to have a legend of his own. I won't accept anything less.

Edit: So original...
GEIULsd.png

Didn't you say Kiryu was the Japanese Jesus?

Dragon's Dogma would be a great .... oh wait.

Ok my pick for the title would be......... Dragon Warrior... oh...damn it.

Streets of Dragons then!

I agree Yakuza isn't a very good title for western audiences, but Atlus just released Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception.

By the way, if you're at all interested in a good narrative, don't sleep on it, I'm playing it now and its really good.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Just finished Chapter 4 (Shinada's) in #5. Yet again it starts off with a sigh and whinging to myself that I'd rather play another character but end up thoroughly enjoying his story. Chap 4 spoiler
I really felt for the guy when he found out Milky had been playing him all along
and the end
rivaly/battle was the icing on the cake
. So far I've put close to 80hrs into my first play through. I'm glad I'm playing this now at my age where I can appreciate playing one game at a time (I'm in my 40s now) as opposed to a few generations ago where I was buying a new game every other week for a new experience.

As much as they shoehorned Shinada's story into the main plot, as a character he was actually the most refreshing to play and his individual story the best.

God, the overall pacing and plot in Yakuza 5 is a real fucking mess.

Jimrpg

I liked Shinada's story a lot, mainly because it wasn't as serious in tone as the other chapters. I love the dark humour sprinkled throughout his chapter reminiscent of some of the side stories. Even Haruka's section is quite serious in comparison.

I really can't remember who said it (was it Rymuth?) but the most apt comparison of Shinada's chapter I've heard so far is that it's Yakuza's version of the movie
Hot Fuzz.

Didn't you say Kiryu was the Japanese Jesus?
Nah, I think that was luce.

But in regards to title, I just love the original JP title Ryū ga Gotoku, which translated into "Like a Dragon."

It really reminds me of those old Bruce Lee movies (Enter the Dragon, Way of the Dragon, etc) and Yakuza is one of the few video games that evokes the same feeling as those movies in me. So, "Like a Dragon" just feels right to me.

Skulldead

As much as they shoehorned Shinada's story into the main plot, as a character he was actually the most refreshing to play and his individual story the best.

God, the overall pacing and plot in Yakuza 5 is a real fucking mess.

Ho yes it is.... i play yakuza 0 right after Y5, and this a total 180 in term of naration and speech. I don't think i would be able to replay Y5 ever again.

Gen X

Can't wait for that, I'll be starting 0 as soon as it arrives, we'll, as long as I've finished 5.

IrishNinja

Yakuza 0's plot is amazing compared to 5's. It's like they learned all the right lessons from it.

yeah, i enjoyed 5 for its zaniness but it was literally all over the place...0 turned that ship right around from a few cool scenes to a tight, really great plot with some excellent character moments

god i love 0

I like SFV as well. I just don't play it anywhere near enough... I am enjoying playing around with Abigail though...

As for Yakuza 5... Its still my favourite 100% in the entire series, but yeah the story could have used a bit of trimming in places. But I do love Shinada as a character, and some of the boss fights and larger encounters were excellent (purely in terms of gameplay).

IrishNinja

it did have some good fights, and if Shinada gets cast aside like Tanimura did i'll be sad to see him go. as was said, fun/pervy lighthearted storyline, and it was a trip seeing them tie the batting cages into plot like that, nevermind playing as literally the brokest team member (i legit had to fight dudes for $ and try to not use it all on healing items at first, it was like a mean old school RPG haha)

cj_iwakura

Nah, I think that was luce.

But in regards to title, I just love the original JP title Ryū ga Gotoku, which translated into "Like a Dragon."

It really reminds me of those old Bruce Lee movies (Enter the Dragon, Way of the Dragon, etc) and Yakuza is one of the few video games that evokes the same feeling as those movies in me. So, "Like a Dragon" just feels right to me.

I like it too, but it sounds cooler in Japanese. 'Like A Dragon' doesn't have the same kick in English, IMO.

Jimrpg

I like it too, but it sounds cooler in Japanese. 'Like A Dragon' doesn't have the same kick in English, IMO.

Yeah there's some silly western naming convention where you take 2 generic words and mash them together to create game title.

Like Dark Souls got it spot on. Or Shadow of War. Or Shadow/War/Dark anything.

But Ar Tonelico no Surge just isn't going to get you a million sales in the west.

Even Nier:Automata is somewhat pronounceable.

I get that, but it's still a better name than Yakuza.

Though, for the next game I guess it depends on whether they keep on calling it RGG in Japan. Since Kiryu's story is done, they might try to do a soft reboot, which could let to a completely new branding.
what really? i don't post SFV
Yeah, me neither lol

Gen X

I like the Yakuza name, I mean it's always been synonymous with the Japanese Mafia so it suits it. Of course it could do with a sub title for each sequel like Yakuza 3: The Dragon Returns or Yakuza 5: The Downfall of the Tojo Clan or something like that.

I like the Yakuza name, I mean it's always been synonymous with the Japanese Mafia so it suits it. Of course it could do with a sub title for each sequel like Yakuza 3: The Dragon Returns or Yakuza 5: The Downfall of the Tojo Clan or something like that.

The Japanese games (at least the more recent ones) all had sub titles, its just the English translations all ignored them. Except for Yakuza 6 it seems, that one I've actually seen shown off in magazines with its official sub title.

I'm not sure where I stand on the whole name thing, I like the Yakuza name but at the same time its a tad inaccurate as only Seijima is really a Yakuza, the rest of them just get mixed up in the criminal underworld. Then again, I feel that Like a Dragon is a bit of a mouth full and wouldn't work that well as the title of the series. So I've no idea what Sega should do...

Now that Yakuza is finally getting some traction in the west, I think the last thing they'd want to do is confuse people by changing the name of the series in English. Gotta build on the name recognition they already have.

IrishNinja

Now that Yakuza is finally getting some traction in the west, I think the last thing they'd want to do is confuse people by changing the name of the series in English. Gotta build on the name recognition they already have.

yeah, this is the answer i'm going with too - they'll just sub it something like ballin' with akiyamas

A guy on my friends list on PSN has been playing Yakuza: Kiwami for two days and I am flipping the fuck out! HOW does a guy in Pakistan get a copy so quickly?

Only thing I can think of is that it's a review copy.

In addition to better marketing and overall doing better job with sending review copies and stuff, I think the reason why Yakuza series is getting more recognition in the west is because the first PS4 entry of the series was called Yakuza 0.

You have to keep in mind that the changing title idea is not for Kiwami or 6. It's for whatever they are doing next. I just don't see a niche series (that has its fair share of misconceptions -> "Yakuza is GTA in Japan") having a lot of casual appeal when it has a 7 in its name. There is a reason why the devs name their games "The Witcher III Wild Hunt" or "Resident EVIl" and those examples are both from much more recognized series than Yakuza.

And I might've not made this very clear, but I don't think they should get rid of Yakuza naming entirely. In all of my name suggestions I've kept the Yakuza branding. It's just that I don't think it should be the main title of the series. I think the best way for them to handle the branding for whatever comes after Y6, is to follow this format:
GEKsp92.png

Yakuza *Insert the main title with a big font* - *insert subtitle if there is one*

In addition to better marketing and overall doing better job with sending review copies and stuff, I think the reason why Yakuza series is getting more recognition in the west is because the first PS4 entry of the series was called Yakuza 0.

You have to keep in mind that the changing title idea is not for Kiwami or 6. It's for whatever they are doing next. I just don't see a niche series (that has its fair share of misconceptions -> "Yakuza is GTA in Japan") having a lot of casual appeal when it has a 7 in its name. There is a reason why the devs name their games "The Witcher III Wild Hunt" or "Resident EVIl" and those examples are both from much more recognized series than Yakuza.

And I might've not made this very clear, but I don't think they should get rid of Yakuza naming entirely. In all of my name suggestions I've kept the Yakuza branding. It's just that I don't think it should be the main title of the series. I think the best way for them to handle the branding for whatever comes after Y6, is to follow this format:
GEKsp92.png

I see what you're saying, but numbering the titles is also important for people new to the series. "Now which one is next again?"

For 7, I might start over with something like Yakuza Rebirth, then do YR2, YR3, etc.

A guy on my friends list on PSN has been playing Yakuza: Kiwami for two days and I am flipping the fuck out! HOW does a guy in Pakistan get a copy so quickly?

Only thing I can think of is that it's a review copy.

Would it make you feel better if I told you I've already finished it, and already finished 6 as well? They are both rather good ;)

I'm more jealous of the Sonic Mania leaks, wish I was playing that game right now...

Would it make you feel better if I told you I've already finished it, and already finished 6 as well? They are both rather good ;)

I'm more jealous of the Sonic Mania leaks, wish I was playing that game right now...
Well yeah, but you played the Japanese version. I was tempted to get them too but ultimately stayed my hand.

This guy's playing the FULL ENGLISH version like 20 days ahead of release!!!

Well yeah, but you played the Japanese version. I was tempted to get them too but ultimately stayed my hand.

This guy's playing the FULL ENGLISH version like 20 days ahead of release!!!

Yeah, I'd be going crazy if I were still waiting to play it. I'm kinda glad I'm so impatient! Importing and playing the series when they are released in Japan is better for me rather than waiting, the speculation on 6's story alone would have driven me mad!

I'll get to do it all over again with whatever gets announced at the end of August (assuming we are getting a new game announcement)

I see what you're saying, but numbering the titles is also important for people new to the series. "Now which one is next again?"

For 7, I might start over with something like Yakuza Rebirth, then do YR2, YR3, etc.
You are right, I didn't consider that.

So assuming that there will be multiple new games after Yakuza 6. which follow the story of certain character(s), this should be the naming format that they use.

Yakuza *big sized main title* #

So bad localization?
Well it depends on who you're saying it to.

If Shinji says it to Kiryu, then it's meant in a more big brotherly sense. But if a direct underling says it to Kazama or their boss, then he means it in a respectful way where Sir is more fitting.

It's one of those situations where you have to change the word depending on the context so if anything, I'd say it's good localization.

Well it depends on who you're saying it to.

If Shinji says it to Kiryu, then it's meant in a more big brotherly sense. But if a direct underling says it to Kazama or their boss, then he means it in a respectful way where Sir is more fitting.

It's one of those situations where you have to change the word depending on the context so if anything, I'd say it's good localization.
I mean, watch the vídeo. The majima part is so... weird. Here's another translation to compare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVC5nELFqLY

I watched it and Sir definitely fits the context a bit better than bro, because they're straight up scared of Majima and treat him like a boss rather than a big brother which is how Shinji looks to Kiryu at the start of the game.

It's a situation where you're never going the find the absolute perfect word that covers all contexts so you just pick the word which is the most fitting for that particular situation. This is exactly why I think the Yakuza series has had consistently great localizations with Y0 being perhaps the highlight.

Top Bottom