• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Community Thread - FEEL THE HEAT!

We made it guys. Yakuza finally has a bootleg Android game.

wt2ufbtwtowy.jpg

So going back and reading this thread... Who would have thought a bootleg would have kinda rang true somehow?

I think I'm as hyped for Kiwami 2 as I am for Yakuza 6.

I'm sure Yakuza 6 has thrice the development time and is a higher quality product, like Kiwami vs Y0

Eh... Kiwami 2 benefits from the engine already being in place. Most of the budget on 6 probably went on the engine and actors (well, Beat Takeshi mainly). The remake of 2 should be better technically, with a larger Kamuracho to fully explore, more mini games and better combat. We should get some concrete info next week at TGS. Can't wait!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMzfy-OvO3o

kiwami 2 is gonna be so good.

also playing ishin with guide. great game.

How far are you along with Ishin? As if you've not finished it yet your in for a treat, as it has one of my favourite end chapters in the entire series. Well actually the entire 2nd half is amazing, but the last chapters totally kick it up a notch. Makes me want to replay it all over again!

Also, more voice actors for Fist of the North Star:
http://gematsu.com/2017/09/hokuto-ga-gotoku-details-raoh-rihaku-taruga-lira

In a move that surprises almost no one, Raoh is being voiced by Ryuji Goda. So that's going to be epic. VA for Date is returning (no surprises there) but I couldn't find VA credits for the other two characters in Yakuza games, though the new female character is voiced by Faye from Binary Domain which is ace.

How far are you along with Ishin? As if you've not finished it yet your in for a treat, as it has one of my favourite end chapters in the entire series. Well actually the entire 2nd half is amazing, but the last chapters totally kick it up a notch. Makes me want to replay it all over again!

Also, more voice actors for Fist of the North Star:
http://gematsu.com/2017/09/hokuto-ga-gotoku-details-raoh-rihaku-taruga-lira

In a move that surprises almost no one, Raoh is being voiced by Ryuji Goda. So that's going to be epic. VA for Date is returning (no surprises there) but I couldn't find VA credits for the other two characters in Yakuza games, though the new female character is voiced by Faye from Binary Domain which is ace.
I'm after the
goda fight in the bathhouse
on chapter 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNL58pE3imY

guess this also fits kiwami 2 lol.

about the end-game I got spoiled unwanted by devilleon7. this guy needs to stop putting the name of bosses on his videos. guess he wants views as far as he can go and don't really care about anyone.

I'm after the
goda fight in the bathhouse
on chapter 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNL58pE3imY

guess this also fits kiwami 2 lol.

about the end-game I got spoiled unwanted by devilleon7. this guy needs to stop putting the name of bosses on his videos. guess he wants views as far as he can go and don't really care about anyone.

That fight was a right laugh. Couldn't believe they actually went through with doing the fight
completely naked! The QTE cracked me up when I first played it.

And yeah. Youtubers and just Youtube in general sucks for spoilers. I almost had 6's end boss spoiled for me thanks to a random music track recommendation that listed the boss names in the title. But either I read it wrong or the track listing was wrong as the final boss was someone completely different.

so what do I do if dragon scales magically vanished from my inventory in yakuza 5? its just impossible to complete everything then? I havent sold them, they went to my item box right when i got them for completing the taxi driver missions days ago and I havent touched my item box ever other than to sell plates that were stacking up

Edit: figured it out, apparently I never "claimed" it

Scotia

Banned
Sorry I'm a few days late on this (I finished the game on Wednesday) but I just wanted to have a couple days break from the series. Everything after this is what I typed after I finished the game on Wednesday, so here you go:

I liked the game, but there were just some questionable choices when it came to the narrative. I'll try and post what I can remember standing out as well as some thoughts in general. Spoilers for Yakuza 4 incoming;

•Like I said, there were some weird choices taken with the narrative in this game.
•Certain aspects of the story that you'd have expected to be there just didn't happen and if they did they happened off screen between chapters.
•Stuff like when
Akiyama is talking with Majima at the end of his last chapter and then the next time you see Akiyama and Majima they're both doing something completely different was confusing
•Another example is when
Saejima was talking with Majima and then when we see him next he's suddenly being beaten up in Purgatory that's also suddenly been attacked.
Stuff like that with no prior buildup or explanation were just weird.
•I think the way the chapters were set out was a major factor in this. Yakuza 0 was great because when you returned to Kiryu or Majima's parts of the story most of the time it picked up right where it left off or it reminded you what had happened since you last saw them. I know 0 has the benefit of coming out after 4, but I still feel like alternating between the four characters would have been the better way of doing things.
•Speaking of the four characters, all of them were great. There wasn't a protagonist I didn't like in this game and all of them worked really well together.
•Akiyama was a great character and was extremely likeable. The only reason I considered him to be my least favourite of three new characters was because I feel like he was hyped up to much imo. I'd heard so much about him and how great he was that he kinda fell a little bit flat at first. I mean, there's a line in the OP for this very thread that says Akiyama is the second most badass character in the series next to Kiryu and I just didn't think he was imo. He really picked up for me in the final chapter though. Maybe he'll grow on me even more in Yakuza 5.
•Speaking of Akiyama,
how the fuck did he get 100 billion yen? He only picked up bits of the 10 billion yen from Yakuza 1, so I don't get how he had that much.
•Saejima was great. I really felt for him in this game as a man who's
had 25 years of his life robbed from him. Prison escape is easily one of the top 5 best scenes in the series for me
•The twist of
'he didn't actually kill anyone, he had rubber bullets' was fucking dumb and some of the worst stretching I've seen in a while.
•Tanimura was great and it's fucking tragedy that he's not in anymore games after this. His whole
'Parasite of Kamurocho' gimmick was awesome and I loved how it turned out he was only a parasite to help the Chinese community, though I didn't really like the characters from said community that much. I know they pretty much dropped the parasite thing once his chapter really started, but I still think he was super interesting and I would have loved to have seen more of him.
•Wasn't that much of a fan of the story in this one tbh.
Yakuza 3's story was pretty bad in the second half, but I just didn't like this story pretty much from the start. Without knowing who Arai is it was kinda hard for me to care about him going missing and pretty much all of the people that Yasuko killed were nobodies that didn't matter. much. Like, in 0 you know why the empty lot is important, in 1 you know why the ten billion yen is important, in 3 you know why the military base and resort is important. Never really got that feeling in 4 until way later in the game. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it's hard to get invested without knowing what's at stake.
•In terms of Yasuko,
this series has a really bad problem making interesting characters and either killing them off or just not using them anymore. Why did Yasuko have to die? Her death was pointless other than some cheap 'they killed our ally so now we're even more determined to beat the bad guys' tripe. They did the same shit with Rikiya in 3, but at least that gave us one of the best scenes in the series. I fucking face-palmed when Yasuko got shot because it was so fucking predictable and pointless. Another female character that could have been interesting in other games is killed off just like that smh.
•It would have been nice to see
Yasuko and Saejima meet after 25 years apart, but we didn't even get to see that.
•Also just found out
Kido and Arai don't come back again in the series which is a shame as I quite liked them.
•The story in this game was also the most predicable in the entire series for me.
I was amazed at how much an empty plot of land could create so many twists and turns in 0, but in 4 I didn't even have enough fingers to count how many times I literally knew what was going to happen before it did. Mishima getting shot after revealing everything he knew? Saw that one coming. Kido getting shot by Arai after giving him the file? Knew it was going to happen. Hisai being the other cop traitor? Saw that coming a mile away as soon as I saw Hisai in homeland. I'm not trying to brag or anything, but the creative writing that would later be in 0 just isn't on display as much here and it sucks.
•That being said, some stuff did catch me by surprise.
Kido turning on you, Sugiuchi being a Yakuza and Arai being a cop were all cool twists I didn't see coming.
•
Hisai killing himself came completely out of nowhere and was so nonchalantly dropped mid-sentence that I had to go on YouTube to check I hadn't missed a cutscene. I hadn't.
•They pulled the whole
'they got shot but they actually didn't get shot/somehow survived' thing far too much. Looking back; Kido got shot and somehow was fine, Akiyama got shot but survived because of money, 18 people got shot but oh wait turns out they were rubber bullets, Katsuragi got shot three times in the story and two of them he survived/wasn't actually shot. Munakata got shot but it turns out it was another fake bullet etc. It was just so overdone.
•
Hamazaki dying off screen was fucking bullshit and probably pissed me off the most out of anything in this game. Like, he didn't even get to meet up with Saejima or get to have one last talk with Kiryu, you just got a phone call from Haruka saying he's dead, one mention afterwards and that's it. What the actual fuck?!
•
How did he even get shot? Was it a wound from the prison escape opening up or did he get shot and I just didn't notice?
•I think I expected a lot more from
Majima's meeting with Saejima after 25 years apart, seeing as it was arguably his most important scenario since 0 (storyline wise).
•Adding rooftops and underground sections to Kamurocho was a great idea and really prevented it from getting stale.
•I actually really liked the last chapter of the game and it was easily the best one in the game.
I loved the final fights being one for each of the four characters and totally didn't expect Tanimura to get the last fight, though it was annoying as fuck. It reminded of the Jingu fight from Yakuza 1. I also liked the ending, though I'm curious as to whether or not Kiryu is back in the Tojo clan?

Looking back on this list I've realised that I've complained about stuff way more than I thought I would. Echoing what other people here said about 3 when we were talking about it the other day, just like how 3's great moments are really great and it's bad moments are really bad, with 4 I feel like it's good moments are just OK and it's bad moments are pretty fucking bad. For now I easily think it's my least favourite Yakuza game I've played so far, despite there being some actually pretty decent moments in it. I really wanted to like this game, but there's just too much weird stuff for me to truly enjoy it fully. That being said, I'm actually kinda nervous about 5. I've heard it's story isn't great and the fact it's got 5 playable characters really worries me as I have problems with 4's pacing between characters and that only had 4 characters. Overall, I'm giving Yakuza 4 an 8/10 (was going to give it 7/10 but there were some moments and characters I quite enjoyed that stopped me from doing so). Series ranking is now;

0 > 3 > 1 > 4

Scotia

Banned
FUCK MY LIFE

I got Yakuza 5 when it got put up accidentally on PS Plus and now that I've canccelled it I can't play it anymore. So looks like I'm going to have to buy it and I can't afford it for a long ass time, guess I'm not playing Yakuza 5 anytime soon ffs

Kalor

FUCK MY LIFE

I got Yakuza 5 when it got put up accidentally on PS Plus and now that I've canccelled it I can't play it anymore. So looks like I'm going to have to buy it and I can't afford it for a long ass time, guess I'm not playing Yakuza 5 anytime soon ffs

You could always renew for a month and get it back.

Kiryu is truly the GOAT. 1 2 3

FUCK MY LIFE

Just renew it for a month or buy a three month thing?

Btw, I don't think you can buy a digital game if you already have it on PS+, Sony is weird.

IrishNinja

still sad this 0 feedback chinese seller (LIKE I AINT KNOW NO BETTER) is bailing on selling me a $30 majima figure...fuuuuuuu

really wanted my dude for a fair price!

still sad this 0 feedback chinese seller (LIKE I AINT KNOW NO BETTER) is bailing on selling me a $30 majima figure...fuuuuuuu

really wanted my dude for a fair price!

I hate it when that happens :( Action figure prices seem really nuts these days, kinda glad I got out of that hole when I had the chance! They just rotted on my shelves doing nothing anyway! Anyway, now back to spending untold fortunes on strange Vita import games...

Also, I'm already getting really hyped for my Kiwami playthrough. Usually I take some time off between Yakuza games since I try to avoid potential burn out on the series at all costs, but the ending of 0 and finishing up my 100% run only made me more hungry for more Yakuza. Oh well, as long as nothing else comes along in the mean time to push me over the edge I should be fine for a few weeks... oh wait, TGS is this week and new Yakuza stuff will be shown off? Time to get hyped then!

But seriously, I wonder how much of Kiwami 2 will be shown off. I'm really hoping for a decent showing off of the improved Dragon Engine - showing the improvements from 6 to Kiwami 2. Things I hope to see - more weapon variety (and a return for modding please), have tons of absent mini games from 6 return (gambling, bowling etc.) along with "new" Sega games for the arcade (I'd give the game a 11/10 if they manage to get something like Daytona 2 in the arcade), briefly show off the Champion District or Purgatory basically highlighting that they've put those areas back in the game etc.

Mesharey

Just finished Yakyza 4, I didn't understand something, spoiler,
Daigo betrayed Majima how? And why is he still the clan leader again after fighting with Kiryu?

Edit: there's also one more thing, Kiryu said he won't
runaway anymore
but at the beginning of Yakuza 5 he
abandoned the clan and didn't help Daigu
, that's weird too, unless they explain it later.

Big One

Banned
Hrm I have a question for you guys since I just finished up Yakuza 0, and I'm about to get Yakuza Kiwami in the mail. If I were to jump to Yakuza 6 immediately, can I get away with just watching the cutscenes on youtube from Yakuza 2-5? It's a bit jarring for me to pull out multiple systems to play this series, and going from Kiwami to Yakuza 2 is pretty jarring in of itself you would think due to the graphical downgrade. Mind you, even if I do see the cutscenes I still plan on buying a Kiwami version of Yakuza 2 or even 3-5 in the future.

Oicho-Kabu is like the trollest thing ive ever seen in these games.

You could have a winning hand every time and still lose, i dont get it. The goal is to get 9, i draw 9 and still lose because the game seems to give the banker 9 every single fucking time. It doesnt count as a draw or anything, its a loss if you draw a winning hand and you lose money. How the fuck does this make sense. I basically lost all my points in 20 minutes after completing every other game in the gambling hall for 100% completion.

bluethree

The only bad thing about kiwami 2's announcement is that it's left me torn on what Yakuza game I should play next. IKiwami 2 will presumably be a bit more refined, but with a story I've already played, vs 6 which is apparently a bit unrefined in some ways but has new story/content. I think I only have one more Yakuza game in me this year, don't want to get burnt out or anything.

IrishNinja

I hate it when that happens :( Action figure prices seem really nuts these days, kinda glad I got out of that hole when I had the chance! They just rotted on my shelves doing nothing anyway! Anyway, now back to spending untold fortunes on strange Vita import games...

it sucks, right?
I WON & PAID INSTANTLY, HOE - SEND MY SHIT

does anyone know the cheapest place currently to get the Kiryu and Majima figmas from(shipped to the US)? I want to make a little display with the game cases and special edition items

Hrm I have a question for you guys since I just finished up Yakuza 0, and I'm about to get Yakuza Kiwami in the mail. If I were to jump to Yakuza 6 immediately, can I get away with just watching the cutscenes on youtube from Yakuza 2-5? It's a bit jarring for me to pull out multiple systems to play this series, and going from Kiwami to Yakuza 2 is pretty jarring in of itself you would think due to the graphical downgrade. Mind you, even if I do see the cutscenes I still plan on buying a Kiwami version of Yakuza 2 or even 3-5 in the future.

Don't watch through the videos on Youtube. I'd recommend either playing through all the titles, playing through just the later titles, or just skipping to 6.

Y2 still holds up and still has a great aesthetic and vibe.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
After finishing the Doctor's duty side quest, They really need to change the subtitle of the series to

KAZAMAWASBEHINDITALL
hqdefault.jpg

Kimaka

This wrestling kid's story in Yakuza 3. Oh my god.

XF4vDPB.jpg

I wasn't expecting Kiryu and Rikiya to put on masks and everything to cheer Taichi up. That was too cute.

This wrestling kid's story in Yakuza 3. Oh my god.

XF4vDPB.jpg

I wasn't expecting Kiryu and Rikiya to put on masks and everything to cheer Taichi up. That was too cute.

Taichi is my legit favourite orphan character. Plus he somehow manages to get most of the screentime whenever they are shown in the future. But yeah, that bit of 3 was brilliant. Its what I loved about 3 - the way it manages to weave these nicer bits of downtime between the crime drama of the main story. It nicely showed off both sides of Kiryu.

Yu Narukami

Playing through Y3. Chapter 10 was really disappointing even the boss fight. Up until then the story was really good and then they give you that shit. I hope it picks up after that.

YO, did anybody see that Hokuto ga Gotoku gameplay? So many Yakuza-esque "punching each other at the same time" cinematics! HOSTESSES FOR FUCK'S SAKE.
Playing through Y3. Chapter 10 was really disappointing even the boss fight. Up until then the story was really good and then they give you that shit. I hope it picks up after that.
The game really drops the ball once the
BRACK MUNDAY and CIA
shit shows up.

Fortunately the ending is
GAWD-tier.

"It’ll be a part of the 'Century-End Premium Edition' which also includes several new equipment items, a PS4 theme, and some additional songs to use."

Help us PSX, you're our only hope.

Gacha-pin

http://ryu-ga-gotoku.com/news/detail/1168.html

the end of the century premium edition, idk what this is. maybe first print edition?

including

+Kiryu Kazuma skin
+Additional soundtracks (愛をとりもどせ!!」(クリスタルキング)、「TOUGH BOY」(TOM★CAT))
+in game item: Nanto Goghasei amulets
+PS4 theme & avatar by Hara Tetsuo

01168_07.jpg

new trailer (to be replaced by the official one)
https://youtu.be/pHE2QT2JNL0

edit
according to Dengeki online, the end of the century premium edition is a deluxe edition at 11,390 yen and the standard edition is 8,390 yen.

I kinda hate the way they explain Kiryu's skin bonus content in the official site. You will have the RIGHT to use Kiryu in HoG. I feel something is going wrong with RGG studio after 6's dlc thingy.

Yu Narukami

YO, did anybody see that Hokuto ga Gotoku gameplay? So many Yakuza-esque "punching each other at the same time" cinematics! HOSTESSES FOR FUCK'S SAKE.
The game really drops the ball once the
BRACK MUNDAY and CIA
shit shows up.

Fortunately the ending is
GAWD-tier.
Sounds good. I may finish Y3 tonight or tomorrow and Y4 arrives on Thursday. 3 Yakuza games in a month, baby.

Majima as Jagi totally makes sense. I get the feeling he'll fit the role perfectly. Gameplay wise, bar the short TGS trailer has anything else been shown off for it today? I know its due a big blowout of info at the end of the week along with online and Kiwami 2, but if there is more info to read/watch I'd love to check it out.

Interesting about the model III game, is it too much to much to ask for the PS2/arcade Arksys FOTNS game to be included? As that'd be awesome!

The above link doesn't mention if it's playable though. It's just just saying you can find it in Eden. I don't know what this means.

I wonder Mark III is called Model III in the west.
Hokuto no Ken on Mark III
https://youtu.be/NCkHQmiaxZ8

Yeah, I was kinda jumping to conclusions on that one. I just hope the game has an arcade, and they fill it with a few varied Sega games like 6 since its always one of my favourite play spots.

i have to assume we're getting a western release of FOTNS

who the fuck makes a console japan only game in 2017

Nothing confirmed yet, but its probably coming at some point. I think PSX at the earliest might give us an idea if these games are coming over. Honestly I'm surprised FOTNS is getting a Japanese release so soon, I expected mid 2018, at this rate I'll barely have enough time to finish Kiwami 2 before jumping over to FOTNS!

What the.. is there a hostess club in this? Is this literally a Yakuza game with FOTNS skins?

Kinda. They've added the city "Eden" into the universe basically to let it have a Yakuza flavour to it. And the usual trimmings of a Yakuza game - side stories, playspots etc. are expected to be included though no real details have been released just yet (expect that in a couple of days once TGS starts for real).

Gacha-pin

found some mini-games & side activities info on the internet,

Yeehaw Rally, race in the wasteland
Death batting, bat the bikers
Kenshiro clinic, cure people with Hokuto Shinken
Bartender Ken, Hyakuretu ken shaking
Bouncr Kenshiro, at night club
Looting the prewar ruins, find some video games and arcade machines and bring them back to play

I don't know these are legit ;p

Karu

In chapter 9 of Y3 and I think encountered my first "What the fuck is this shit"-moment in this series (0, Kiwami, 3) - who thought those running missions where a good idea? One example were the end goal of mission variety doesn't really pay off at all.

As mentioned before, I loved the beginning 3 chapter of Yakuza 3, but overall the story kinda leaves me cold. Good to see Majima being more involved in the serious plot again, though, after Kiwami.

Top Bottom