• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza KIWAMI |OT| Translator's Note: "KIWAMI" means "EXTREME"

This Ch. 3 fight is ridiculous. Talk about a damage sponge. Actually considering dropping down to Normal for this.

I've been playing on Normal and he was still a giant bulletsponge for fists. Really tedious fight. Afterwards I checked out a couple of Videos on Youtube to check if I was just doing something wrong but appearently not.

And now for something else...I encountered a subquest where
a sexy girl with big breasts dragged me into a bar and spiked my drink to rob me.

The whole subquest was fully voiced.
Kiryu, the girl, the bartender, the other thugs.
Is there any significance to this.

I've been playing on Normal and he was still a giant bulletsponge for fists. Really tedious fight. Afterwards I checked out a couple of Videos on Youtube to check if I was just doing something wrong but appearently not.

a sexy girl with big breasts dragged me into a bar and spiked my drink to rob me.

Nothing significant. It was just one of a handful of side stories in the original game to get cutscenes and voices. There are a couple of really good ones slightly later in the game when you get Haruka.

crimilde

Banned
I got to chapter 7 last night and so far I feel like most of the substories are kind of a letdown compared to 0. Scammers all over the place, fight them, you're done. I guess this is the downside of playing the newest game chronologically first, haha.

Still having loads of fun though and I feel like, compared to 0, I play around with the fighting styles more. I basically finished 0 with a combination of Brawler/Rush but I never felt the urgency of switching up the style. I guess the higher difficulty early on in Kiwami forced me to try out new stuff. And I can definitely notice way easier which combat style suits which types of enemies/bosses.

Majima
is amazing! I never thought the guy's gonna be literally *everywhere* but he pops up in such random places haha. And sometimes the events trigger one right after the other. I love this mechanism.

I got to chapter 7 last night and so far I feel like most of the substories are kind of a letdown compared to 0. Scammers all over the place, fight them, you're done. I guess this is the downside of playing the newest game chronologically first, haha.

Unfortunately that is how the side stories were in the first game. There are a few standout ones (Akimoto for example) but there are quite a few that are just like you say. There is also one that involves doing lots with the crane game. Fairly easy in Kiwami, but trying to do it in the original Yakuza was a nightmare as the crane wouldn't grab the toys most of the time!

I forget where the turning point is for side stories. I remember 2 having a few decent ones, I think it was Kenzan or 3 that really started to flesh them out more into stories of the people as opposed to the more cookie cutter nature most of Kiwami's are. That said, Kiwami also has a few nice new side stories, mostly tied to mini games so those are of a higher standard - the Pocket Circuit ones especially are really well done.

danmaku

With everyone talking about it, I thought the chapter 3 boss fight was going to be hard but... not really. And I didn't even understand how to use the kiwami heat moves to stop health regen. That chapter is the only thing I remember from the PS2 game.

Finally the game opens up in chapter 4, so I went straight to the arcade
and boo hoo there's no classic Sega game. I liked the inclusion of a card game and a photo sticker machine, though. I felt like a weird nostalgia, even though I've never been to Japan, because I remember reading so many articles about how that stuff was super popular in the early 2000.

That's interesting, because I turned down the
drink
over and over, leading to Kiryu revealing that
it was a scam and they were all probably involved
which of course led to fight and a hefty apology payment.

I laughed, because my choice not to was in large part because I don't partake IRL either. Rarely, anyway.

With everyone talking about it, I thought the chapter 3 boss fight was going to be hard but... not really. And I didn't even understand how to use the kiwami heat moves to stop health regen. That chapter is the only thing I remember from the PS2 game.
[/SPOILER]

It's not so much that he's hard, because he isn't. (Someone else here said before that he has the Mr. Shakedown moveset, but doesn't do nearly as much damage. So if you're familiar with Mr. Shakedown, the chapter 3 Boss is no issue.)
It's just tedious because he barely takes any damage and this is before the game opens up and you can really upgrade your styles or get weapons.

And speaking of sidequests...I thought the first game barely had any and Kiwami added a whole bunch of new ones, that's why I had higher expectations.

That being said, on some level I appreciate the short substories (They're really more like little events.) because it might make the Legend (Or whatever it's called here.) difficulty playthrough less of a chore if you've already done everything previously.

That's interesting, because I turned down the
drink
over and over, leading to Kiryu revealing that
it was a scam and they were all probably involved
which of course led to fight and a hefty apology payment.

I laughed, because my choice not to was in large part because I don't partake IRL either. Rarely, anyway.

I mean,
I knew it was a scam too but I wanted to see where it'd end up. I think the end result is the same. Kiryu came back to the bar and punched everyone until he got his money back and some info that I already forgot.

crimilde

Banned
Unfortunately that is how the side stories were in the first game. There are a few standout ones (Akimoto for example) but there are quite a few that are just like you say. There is also one that involves doing lots with the crane game. Fairly easy in Kiwami, but trying to do it in the original Yakuza was a nightmare as the crane wouldn't grab the toys most of the time!

I forget where the turning point is for side stories. I remember 2 having a few decent ones, I think it was Kenzan or 3 that really started to flesh them out more into stories of the people as opposed to the more cookie cutter nature most of Kiwami's are. That said, Kiwami also has a few nice new side stories, mostly tied to mini games so those are of a higher standard - the Pocket Circuit ones especially are really well done.

Well, I complain, but I'm still going to do them all, and yeah the new ones are pretty good!
And I thought the crane game was shitty by design, emulating real life crane machines. I had trouble with catching those damn toys even in 0.

Well, I complain, but I'm still going to do them all, and yeah the new ones are pretty good!
And I thought the crane game was shitty by design, emulating real life crane machines. I had trouble with catching those damn toys even in 0.

That was definitely the point of it, especially in the first game. But as the series went on the crane game improved quite a bit. I find it really easy on 0 (especially compared to the original PS2 games).

There is one new side story in Kiwami with Haruka that has a nod to a previous side story in 0 (the one with
the kid and his "special" magazine

Yeah, I ended up switching to Normal, but that meant I had to redo that whole level over. They kind of shower you with health on Normal, whereas they only give 1 that I saw on Hard. Also, I didn't notice there was a weapons salesman there on Hard, but maybe I just missed it. Ended up being fairly easy after Hard, not sure if I want to go back to Hard iif all the bosses are sponges like that.

crimilde

Banned
Btw, I just noticed last night how they play with the controller lightbar colours, like how it flashes light grey/pink/blue when a fight is about to start and how they change colour to reflect the fighting style you're currently using. I thought that was pretty neat.

There is one new side story in Kiwami with Haruka that has a nod to a previous side story in 0 (the one with
the kid and his "special" magazine

Awesome! Can't wait to get to it!

Yeah, I ended up switching to Normal, but that meant I had to redo that whole level over. They kind of shower you with health on Normal, whereas they only give 1 that I saw on Hard. Also, I didn't notice there was a weapons salesman there on Hard, but maybe I just missed it. Ended up being fairly easy after Hard, not sure if I want to go back to Hard iif all the bosses are sponges like that.

There was a weapons salesman available before chapter 3? Where? That might've helped a lot.

Btw, I just noticed last night how they play with the controller lightbar colours, like how it flashes light grey/pink/blue when a fight is about to start and how they change colour to reflect the fighting style you're currently using. I thought that was pretty neat.
!

That was already in 0 btw.

Well, other than the use of the term "Fuckboy" in a blink and you'll miss it line in the Host Club fight an hour or so in (about 11 years early for that, guys), The translation's top notch so far.

Feels like a big ole expansion pack for 0, even though I'm well aware that this is the first game in the series. Excited to see where this is going.

EDIT: Also, my opinion of the plot so far:
Nishki, you Idiot!

tanuki

I just finished Yakuza 0 a few days ago, was a little worried about burnout going into this, but nope, already loving the storyline. I played it a bit of the PS2 version back in the day, but don't really remember much of it. Gotta say that playing Zero first and having all that character development and backstory really helped me get into this straight away. Can already tell this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship with this series. :)

Ok WOW. So the Majima Everywhere system isn't
just restricted to fights, it's also activities lol. Goro vs Kiryu at Pocket racing, what a world.

danmaku

Another nice little touch: after spending so much time managing a cabaret club in 0, it feels so strange going to a cabaret club... as a customer. I almost expected Majima to show up with a drink!

Opa-Pa

Ok WOW. So the Majima Everywhere system isn't
just restricted to fights, it's also activities lol. Goro vs Kiryu at Pocket racing, what a world.

OMG

I played some matches of bowling with him and that was amusing enough, but this sounds amazing. I hope I get the option soon.

Regarding Majima random encounters in activities, don't for get to
read magazines at the local M Store and Poppo Mart - I think you want to hit the stores just by Serena and near the Batting Cage... You should get an entertaining surprise! I forget the exact trigger point and location, just that you can definitely have a Maijma encounter while reading magazines

Naliem

I'm finding the gameplay on this game better than 0's. Being able to change style after ending a combo really does wonders; I find myself switching every 4-5 seconds and using all the possibilities that the game has. The fact that the game is way harder (for me) in hard mode than 0 also helps with this.

Is this a glitch or am I missing something. Around chapter 10-11 and whenever I go I hear this machinery noise like knifes rubbing against one another. Sound plays inside arcade as well.

Edit: it was the ebisu socks that caused it. Just plan to not use it.

Chesskid1

Banned
man some of the environments and character models are really rough huh

for those who played kiwami & yakuza 3, should i prepare myself for another stepback in terms of features/graphics/storytelling or is it about the same?

for those who played kiwami & yakuza 3, should i prepare myself for another stepback in terms of features/graphics/storytelling or is it about the same?
The storytelling is much better in Yakuza 3 as compared to Yakuza 1/Kiwami which is still kinda basic.

But yeah, graphics and features are naturally a step down.

Is this a glitch or am I missing something. Around chapter 10-11 and whenever I go I hear this machinery noise like knifes rubbing against one another. Sound plays inside arcade as well.

Edit: it was the ebisu socks that caused it. Just plan to not use it.

Yeah, I lasted about 20 minutes with those on. 100 Yen per step isn't worth the constant noise pollution.

any indication on how this game has done sales-wise? I want this to outperform 0 which, I think has been the most successful Yakuza over here

Booted this up last night to play for about 30 minutes and it feels like being home after dumping 77 hours in Y0.

Can't wait to get stuck in tonight

Peroroncino

So I just have to know (chapter 1):

is it possible to beat Majima the first time? And if so, what happens?

It's possible, but it's suuuuuuuuper hard, you're supposed to lose.

Kiryu just says that he maight have won, but he realizes that he still doesn't move like he did and Majima says he's gonna stalk him

Opa-Pa

I think what affects Kiwami a lot too is that the original art direction in places wasn't too hot. Yakuza 3 technically has worse visuals and especially image quality, but some of the new environments are very pretty. Also the writing improves significantly starting from Y2 so you shouldn't worry too much.

i beat majima last night in the story. i used up all my heath drinks but feels good!

Congrats man!

any indication on how this game has done sales-wise? I want this to outperform 0 which, I think has been the most successful Yakuza over here

Not exactly what you're asking for, but I think this is very relevant.

To add to what others said, Y3 only has one fighting style.

Subsequent bosses seemed far less tedious. Also the weapons salesman was there on hard.

5olid_5nake

So, a quick question, is it okay if I start the Yakuza series with this game first? I bought the steelbook version yesterday, but to be honest I don't have the money currently for Yakuza 0 (you could say that I should have bought Yakuza 0 first, but I kinda rushed into it thinking that the Kiwami steelbook will not be availabe for long).

I really want to play some Yakuza, but if it's better to start with 0 first, I wouldn't mind waiting until I get the game somehow. :D

Ydelnae

So, a quick question, is it okay if I start the Yakuza series with this game first? I bought the steelbook version yesterday, but to be honest I don't have the money currently for Yakuza 0 (you could say that I should have bought Yakuza 0 first, but I kinda rushed into it thinking that the Kiwami steelbook will not be availabe for long).

I really want to play some Yakuza, but if it's better to start with 0 first, I wouldn't mind waiting until I get the game somehow. :D

It's like watching Star Wars for the first time. You can start with the original movies or with the prequel trilogy (released after the original trilogy, but set first chronologically). If you play 0 first you will get to know the characters better and some moments will have more impact for you, but since Yakuza 1 was released before they had in mind what happened in 0, you can also play it as a standalone story.

If you have other games to play right now and you are sure that you will play 0 someday, I would wait and play it first. But it won't ruin the experience if you play Kiwami first, just like watching The Empire Strikes Back before The Phantom Menace won't ruin it.

I don't know how I get to
fight Majima apparently in Club Shine. I got the email from Nishida saying that there is a hostess that never gets chosen in Club Shine (which I guess is supposed to be Majima) but everytime I enter the club I automatically get assigned to Rina.
Am I missing something? How do I get Majima to fight me?
Somebody help me please :(

MYeager

Holy Shit, I wonder if he plays that
Bug Ladies trading card game with you too.

Yes.

It's better to start with Zero. You can start with Kiwami, however some things like introducing tyhe multiple fight styles and to various characters are handled better in Zero. If you have Kiwami and can't afford Zero currently, it's okay to start with Kiwami though it's not the best way to experience it. At the very least if you play it and decide it's not your type of game you'll be able to save yourself some cash, and if you do pick up Zero later it'll feel like expands on a lot of in game concepts.

jdstorm

Banned

Kiwami is a perfectly fine starting point as its a remake of Yakuza 1. However Yakuza 0 is seemingly a much better game and probably the best entry to the series. Play Y0 first if you can. However if you can't its not a big deal.

I don't know how I get to
fight Majima apparently in Club Shine. I got the email from Nishida saying that there is a hostess that never gets chosen in Club Shine (which I guess is supposed to be Majima) but everytime I enter the club I automatically get assigned to Rina.
Am I missing something? How do I get Majima to fight me?
Somebody help me please :(

I left, did some other stuff, came back half and hour later and he was there.

Aenima

I left, did some other stuff, came back half and hour later and he was there.

I missed that one too. And now already received a message telling he will not fight me anymore untill i advance more in the story.

Hes just chilling near purgatory entrance, smoking a cig, saying he just thinking in new ways to fight kiryu

Oh god, that black fighter's VA is just some Japanese guy's voice slowed down, isn't it?

VqqIiJ9.gif

Weird me way out.

Top Bottom