• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yara Shahidi to Play Tinkerbell in Disney's Live-Action 'Peter Pan'

MetalAlien

Banned
seems fine tho i'm not sure who this is for in 2020
200.gif

The problem isn't that she's black, it's the thought process behind taking a character that's a European mythical creature, from a British fairytale, who is one of the most iconic character designs in the entire history of cinema, appearing as that design in Disney's marketing and logo for decades, and ignoring all that completely in a remake.

It is very, very hard to see that this casting was done purely because she was the best actress for the role, and not just more of the same woke racism that we know infects the media, who see all minorities, but particularly black people, as perpetual victims that need to be given special treatment out of pity, because they can't succeed on merit.

Meanwhile, I expect Tigerlily and the American Indians, whom are not the right kind of diversity, to be given a smaller role (if any) and have their song removed.

Edit: actually after having a look they apparently are having an Tigerlily, and in an extended role, so I will give them credit for that if true. That doesn't make this casting any less suspect though, and if they wanted to virtue signalling, that's the casting they should be crowing about.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
Peter Pan is/was my second favourite Disney film after The Jungle Book.
This actress look quite serious and old. If they needed a minority they should have cast Zoe Kravitz as she at least looks cute and pixie like.

Ultimately I don't give a fuck though cos its Disney.
This will likely be sterile shit just like all their other live action movies (although I think they did a good job with Jungle Book).

notseqi

Got nothing against the woman but pulling off fairy/pixie-Tinkerbell levels of cute and coy doesn't work for me without Cats-like amounts of CGI on that face. Not a good choice.

sol_bad

The problem isn't that she's black, it's the thought process behind taking a character that's a European mythical creature, from a British fairytale, who is one of the most iconic character designs in the entire history of cinema, appearing as that design in Disney's marketing and logo for decades, and ignoring all that completely in a remake.

It is very, very hard to see that this casting was done purely because she was the best actress for the role, and not just more of the same woke racism that we know infects the media, who see all minorities, but particularly black people, as perpetual victims that need to be given special treatment out of pity, because they can't succeed on merit.

Meanwhile, I expect Tigerlily and the American Indians, whom are not the right kind of diversity, to be given a smaller role (if any) and have their song removed.

Edit: actually after having a look they apparently are having an Tigerlily, and in an extended role, so I will give them credit for that if true. That doesn't make this casting any less suspect though, and if they wanted to virtue signalling, that's the casting they should be crowing about.

Maybe they did have 2000 kids apply for the role and she was the best one?

Meh, more stuff i wont take my kids to see.

I'm tired of media pushing minorities down my throat, i prefer that my kids watch movies who have people the same as them and the same as our country.

Your western media is completely fucked. Here is the stuff i let my kids watch

At this point either live with the changes, or stop watching Disney. They’re going all in on wokeness, and no amount of grumbling is going to change anything.

Besides, how do you even broach this topic? We all know why Disney is doing this, but trying to explain a contrary opinion is like navigating a minefield.

Maybe they did have 2000 kids apply for the role and she was the best one?
Maybe, but it's statistically improbable, which combined with the far lefts fetishisation of black people, leading to their vast over representation in modern media, natueally leads me to be highly suspicious of such a casting when it's such a departure from the established characters look.

If we didn't have such a push for discriminatory and objectifying hiring policies becoming the norm now in the media, I wouldn't care about her race.

As it stands, the odds are that this was done out of the politically correct bigotry of low expectations, because that's the norm in the media today, sadly.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Meh, more stuff i wont take my kids to see.

I'm tired of media pushing minorities down my throat, i prefer that my kids watch movies who have people the same as them and the same as our country.

Your western media is completely fucked. Here is the stuff i let my kids watch

What country are you from, by chance?

Woopah

Because some people like the original.

But whatever, it's Disney, it's woke, it's blah blah blah
Yeah but just because a character has a certain eye/skin/hair colour in one adaptation of the book doesn't mean every adaptation has to do that. It's like how Peter Pan has had brown hair but he's also had blond hair. I don't think having a blond Peter Pan or a dark haired Tinkerbell is an issue.

SCB3

I mean why are they doing another Peter Pan live action movie, theres been quite a few and Hook is a great film by Disney

MetalAlien

Banned

Are you kidding? Tiger Lilly is probably going to be the one that taught Peter to fly, sword fight, and will probably defeat captain hook. There will also be a scene where none of the boys can figure something out and all the girls will just be standing there rolling their eyes until they can't stand it any longer and they just push the boys out of the way and get'r done!

Last edited:
Oh ok. Makes sense you don't like minorities since you're from an all white country.

Its not that i dont like them i just dont want any other ethnic group in my country. We already have a population of Russians who are 25% of our demographics, and after Ukraine....thats more than enough

Is this the part where we are supposed to be outraged and froth at the mouth that a company cast a black woman for a part in a children's movie and behave like there is some sort of concerted effort to wipe the white race off the face of the earth instead of using rational and logical thought processes to realize that the company is merely expanding the roles to reach audiences they didnt before and increase revenue?

MetalAlien

Banned
Is this the part where we are supposed to be outraged and froth at the mouth that a company cast a black woman for a part in a children's movie and behave like there is some sort of concerted effort to wipe the white race off the face of the earth instead of using rational and logical thought processes to realize that the company is merely expanding the roles to reach audiences they didnt before and increase revenue?
CziLDiU.gif

I don't know, is this also going to be the part where the poeple that make this strawman argument provide any evidence at all that this kind of race switching has actually expanded the audience and increased revenue?

Last edited:
I don't know, is this also going to be the point where the poeple that make this strawman argument provide any evidence at all that this kind of race switching has actually expanded the audience and increased revenue?

I dont know. I'm not Disney's bookkeeper. It is a much more logical argument than the typical one coming from middle aged men complaining about poc getting roles in children's films that were originally white though.

Last edited:
I dont know. I'm not Disney's bookkeeper. It is a much more logical argument than the typical one coming from middle aged men complaining about poc getting roles in children's films that were originally white.
Well excuse me for not liking it when racists treat all black people like victims that need pity and special treatment to succeed, objectifying them to make themselves look good, while stoking the violent fires of racial tension we're currently suffering under, all at the expense of the quality of artistic work and the ability for people to suspend their disbelief in fantasy fiction that relies on that conceit.

Next time I'll just ignore the obvious racism involved in this stuff, no worries!

Well excuse me for not liking it when racists treat all black people like victims that need pity and special treatment to succeed, objectifying them to make themselves look good, while stoking the violent fires of racial tension we're currently suffering under, all at the expense of the quality of artistic work and the ability for people to suspend their disbelief in fantasy fiction that relies on that conceit.

Next time I'll just ignore the obvious racism involved in this stuff, no worries!

You'd have to be an unhinged lunatic to think a poc being cast in a children's movie is "stoking the violent fires of racial tension". Like, you can't be serious with that comment can you? Let's ignore the generations of injustice, no sir, it is tinkerbell being played by a black woman that is stoking the fires of racial tension.

This movie is ruined for these children, how could they possibly suspend their disbelief in this fantasy fiction when a black woman is tinkerbell!?

Last edited:
You'd have to be an unhinged lunatic to think a poc being cast in a children's movie is "stoking the violent fires of racial tension". Like, you can't be serious with that comment can you? Let's ignore the generations of injustice, no sir, it is tinkerbell being played by a black woman that is stoking the fires of racial tension.

This movie is ruined for these children, how could they possibly suspend their disbelief in this fantasy fiction when a black woman is tinkerbell!?
Obviously not, but as a symptom of a wider problem amongst the far left that has become endemic amongst the news and media, and treat everything through the lens of intersectionalist critical race theory, yes, these people are the ones that are telling black people they are victims, that a persons race and the past defines them, are rioting at imagined injustices and actively trying to undermine society in order to impose regressive, racist, harmful changes while redefining words to make themselves look virtuous in doing so.

This casting itself in isolation is nothing.

If we were living in a time when people were judged on merit, and not valued only by their superficial characteristics, then I wouldn't have minded the casting, because clearly she would have had to have been the best person for the role.

But because context matters, and we know damned well how many of these racist activists have gained power and influence over such media companies policies and casting decisions, the fact that such an iconic looking and previously ubiquitous character is being swapped to a black woman seems less likely to be a matter of talent winning out, and more likely further evidence that these racists are continuing to discriminate based on race in their hiring practises, and that is wrong, regardless of which race is benefiting.

Last edited:

dorkimoe

Then why the snarky comment about black people? I posted who's playing Peter Pan and Wendy. I don't understand why everyone is up in arms.
Because people are sick of it. Make new characters instead of changing all these old characters to black. If we took a black character and made them white; the world would burn down. People dont have a problem with black characters, we have a problem with changing stories to fit this stupid culture we've created.

My niece is black and she was watching some disney remake the other day (dont remember which one) and the princess was black now; i asked who it was and my brother answered and told me. My niece got mad and was like "no, thats the fake one." She told me the white one is the original. They dont want this shit either.

sol_bad

Maybe, but it's statistically improbable, which combined with the far lefts fetishisation of black people, leading to their vast over representation in modern media, natueally leads me to be highly suspicious of such a casting when it's such a departure from the established characters look.

If we didn't have such a push for discriminatory and objectifying hiring policies becoming the norm now in the media, I wouldn't care about her race.

As it stands, the odds are that this was done out of the politically correct bigotry of low expectations, because that's the norm in the media today, sadly.

And let's say Disney hypothetically only asked white people to apply for the role. This is ok?

Kimahri

Banned
I just don't see the point of these remakes? What are they trying to achieve? They will never be classics. The originals will always be the classic. I have watched Lion King and Jungle Book, but I'll never watch them again. Because the originals were better.

And I don't like changing established characters into something completely different either. They are iconic not just for their personalities, but also for their looks. There is a reason why the little mermaid, Tinkerbell, Aladdin, Simba, or whoever else are instantly recognizable by silhouette alone. These new interpretations will never achieve that, and they haven't so far.

I get these movies make money. But making movies should be about more than just money, shouldn't it? Shouldn't some of the goal be to create something that lasts? New experiences that will be treasured in the future the way the old classics are now? How are you gonna achieve that when all you do is rehashing and "improving" on old ones?

Top Bottom