• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yooka-Laylee becomes fastest video game project to hit $1 million on Kickstarter

bede-x

Okay, ex-Naughty Dog devs. Give me dat spiritual Crash Bandicoot successor.

Not even a Crash fan, but I'd back it immediately and be way more hyped than I would with anything their big teams come up with. It's the perfect kind of game to do on a Kickstarter budget.

How long before someone realises that there's an unserved audience here?

"Dumbed down" probably isn't the best phrasing, but I imagine jimbotron meant that 3D platformers now are linear, and consist of simply reaching the end of a level, as opposed to having large worlds that you explore. Which you prefer is down to preference, but there's no denying that there's a big difference.

It's not accurate to say that Mario Galaxy 1/2 and 3D World aren't proper 3D platformers; instead it might be better to make the distinction of "open-world 3D platformers", which they certainly aren't, and we've been lacking for some time now.

Nope, he's right. Galaxy and later Mario games are well made and fun platformers but they're the dumbed down and streamlined shadow of N64 era platformers (both Nintendo's and Rare's).

Less focus on collect-a-thons and more focus on fine tuned platforming is a negative now?

stolen from twitter:

7lhi9Z7.jpg

I smell suit.

I wouldn't say dumbed down but they obviously have a different focus than Mario 64 or Sunshine. They're more like the 2D Mario games made in 3D, leaving behind the sandbox-y nature of the first 3D Mario games for a linear level design

That's exactly how I would describe them, Its hard to compare between Mario 64/Sunshine/Galaxy since they obviously are built on the same foundation of gameplay but the focus is shifted to different places in each title. I felt like Mario 64 had the most entertaining world to explore and that I had more fun searching every corner just to see how they designed it, and later games feel a bit more streamlined that I just need to go from point A to B. In Mario 64 you can replay a level several times, finding new parts of it/unlocking things that were previously unobtainable and it feels fun to do, not a chore. The gameplay in sunshine and then more so galaxy does feel like they made the 2d style games in 3d, where as Mario 64 felt like a 3d game built from the ground up, especially since it was one of the first titles of its kind. I definitely prefer the style of Mario 64 since its closer to Rare style collectathons/platformers and would prefer Mario 64 2 over Sunshine 2 or Galaxy 3. I think 3d World really shows this because it feels the most like a 2d Mario converted to 3D and I personally find it very lacking in gameplay when compared to prevous titles in the series, on its own its totally a fun game, but I'd rather have a 3d World game as well as a 64 style game, just like we don't need to choose between getting a Mario Kart/Party title and a mainline Mario title.
c7NJRa2.gif

Fandangox

Nope, he's right. Galaxy and later Mario games are well made and fun platformers but they're the dumbed down and streamlined shadow of N64 era platformers (both Nintendo's and Rare's).

The level design in 3D World is probably one of the best I have seen for a 3d platformer.

I hope Kickstarter can be used as a tool to show that a lot of times the industry "moves on" from a genre while the market would still support and buy those games in enough numbers to pull a profit. Lord knows I've seen genres discarded for no reason aside from "industry wisdom" that they just don't sell any more, with no evidence to support such a claim.

I hope Kickstarter can be used as a tool to show that a lot of times the industry "moves on" from a genre while the market would still support and buy those games in enough numbers to pull a profit. Lord knows I've seen genres discarded for no reason aside from "industry wisdom" that they just don't sell any more, with no evidence to support such a claim.

In the world of the AAAA need to sell millions of copies to break even the numbers Ks like YL and MN9 do are laughable. What these show is that you can make a budget title that is marketed to the fans of a "niche" genre and make a profit ie the Atlus approach to business.

Backed, but I'm not 100% sure I necessarily want this kind of game anymore. A modern version of a collectathon (whatever that would be), sure, but I don't know if I'd want something that's straight out of the 90s. Kinda similar to Broken Age's "make it modern and piss off old fans or make it old-school and alienate new players?" quandary.

Morbidly curious about the inevitable backlash as there will certainly be one.

Gartooth

The level design in 3D World is probably one of the best I have seen for a 3d platformer.

3D World levels and collectathon levels are going to be vastly different from each other just alone on the merits of what each game is trying to accomplish.

3D World with its ultralinear levels that are essentially 2D Mario levels in 3D have a different focus than Banjo-Kazooie where you are in a sandbox doing a myriad of objectives.

Robin64

Have they confirmed Yooka and Laylee's genders btw?

No, I didn't. Platformers are great both in 2D and 3D.

The KS page says "Our new heroes, Yooka (the green bloke with no pants) and Laylee (the wisecracking lady-bat with the big nose)".

Though it looks the other way round to me, really.

Fox Mulder

I don't like the look of the characters, they are not cute.

They need clothes or something. Banjo had pants and Kazooie lived in a backpack.

Still looks great and love that it got funded. Shame that MS has wasted Rare all these years when people still want these kinds of games.

Lady-bat! That is nice. I agree it does look like Yooka is the female one, though.
tumblr_nnp8bhlgy41rp3wg0o2_250.gif

I think they are pretty cute, but to each their own.
The Lizard eyes are feminine looks like he has maskera or whatever make up on top. That's why it give us the impression of a Lizard girl

Dr. Buni

The Lizard eyes are feminine looks like he has maskera or whatever make up on top. That's why it give us the impression of a Lizard girl
Yeah. Although after giving it some thought, I like that they aren't overly "gendered", with the boy look a bit feminine and the girl not having generic female traits.

There is a small niche for serving core gamers with modestly budgeted games. The return is just not in it for mega studios with 600 people working on games. Sad. I'm thrilled this kick starter happened.

I've been saying this for a while but lack of a diversified portfolio is what is really killing the AAA publishing biz. Every release is go big or go home with no fall backs and it's why more so now than ever that single high profile failure (or even just modest success) can shutter/irreparably damage even the biggest dev studios.

Top Bottom