• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yooka-Laylee becomes fastest video game project to hit $1 million on Kickstarter

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I wonder if Rare are looking at this and thinking that they should have done a sequel themselves rather then all those shitty kinect games.

What a fucking waste.

I wonder if Rare are looking at this and thinking that they should have done a sequel themselves rather then all those shitty kinect games.

What a fucking waste.

It's not that simple. The audience for this type of game is not on Xbox. I'd argue that the Xbox One version of Yooka-Laylee will be the worst selling SKU.

PC > Wii U > PS4 > Xbone

Koren

I'll be going PS4. If not for trophies alone.
Would go for Wii U because there's NO trophies, if there were a physical release of console versions... ^_^

To those of you pledging £340 (£350 when you include postage) for the N64 version, bear in mind that if you pledge £20 extra, you get a t-shirt, and £35 extra will get you the t-shirt, CD soundtrack, and a signed copy of the regular DVD case version of the game.
Also, bear in mind that it has nothing to do with a N64 version, it's an USB key in a refurbished N64 cart. ;) It's probably a nice collector item, and a way to show support, but it's still a bit expensive, they could have included the other things directly in this pledge...

-MD-

What a fucking waste.

What a waste indeed, sitting on a ton of IP for over a decade and doing absolutely nothing with it.

It's not that simple. The audience for this type of game is not on Xbox. I'd argue that the Xbox One version of Yooka-Laylee will be the worst selling.

PC > Wii U > PS4 > Xbone
Agreed on X1 being the worst selling but I think you're insane if you think the WiiU will outsell the PS4 version. The PS4 will have three times the installed base by the time the game comes out so there's that, and just because Banjo was on N64 doesn't mean all that audience is still on WiiU. Much of that are on PS4 or PC now (and to a lesser extent on X1).

Would go for Wii U because there's NO trophies, if there were a physical release of console versions... ^_^

What's wrong with trophies? For many it's the right incentive to do things they wouldn't do normally. Like for example in BK i had little incentive to collect every single fucking little thing.

As to choosing consoles, I guess this isn't something that will require too much processing power but if it did that'd be another reason I'll go with PS4 over my Wii U or xbone

Nanashrew

Banned
Agreed on X1 being the worst selling but I think you're insane if you think the WiiU will outsell the PS4 version. The PS4 will have three times the installed base by the time the game comes out so there's that, and just because Banjo was on N64 doesn't mean all that audience is still on WiiU. Much of that are on PS4 or PC now (and to a lesser extent on X1).

It's not unheard of. Sonic and Rayman performed better on Wii U despite having the lowest install base. Platformers generally have longer tails on Nintendo systems.

Xpliskin

giphy.gif

Awkward-High-Five.gif

They want to fuck the lizard. Only explanation I got.

giphy.gif

It's not that simple. The audience for this type of game is not on Xbox. I'd argue that the Xbox One version of Yooka-Laylee will be the worst selling SKU.

PC > Wii U > PS4 > Xbone

You can only claim that if there were 3D platformers on Xbox and if multiplatform those were the least selling SKUs, otherwise without stats this is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Ivan

So glad this is happening...

I want to play 3D platformers again that are not Mario. We need variety again.

I backed it, of course...

Jay Sosa

PC > Wii U > PS4 > Xbone

That's bs. Especially back in the 360 days. A lot of people including me bought a 360 in hope for throwback RARE games, at least we got Kameo.

I doubt it will sell worse on the One than the U
, if the U is even still alive by then

Koren

What's wrong with trophies? For many it's the right incentive to do things they wouldn't do normally. Like for example in BK i had little incentive to collect every single fucking little thing.
In fact, *because* it may push the collect-a-thon a bit too far, I've never 100% DK64.

I hate having uncomplete status in my game lists, enough to play the games with a different account (that I nuke after finishing the game), buying the games on a different platform, or even being reluctant to buy or play the game at all.

It's a case of OCD, I know, but that's how I feel. It totally kills my enjoyment of the game. I really hate system-wide trophies, at least as long as you can't disable them or delete them on a per-game basis. I have nothing against in-game "trophies", though (like medals in Valkyria Chronicles, for example), as long as they don't bother me for 20 years after I'm done with the game.

You can only claim that if there were 3D platformers on Xbox and if multiplatform those were the least selling SKUs, otherwise without stats this is a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Well, dozen of corporate suits with annual salaries in the hundred of thousand$ decided not to release 3D platformers on 360 for 8 years because they thought said audience wasn't there. They couldn't be wrong, could they?

First time I've ever backed any kickstarter. The thirst for 3d platformers is very much real. They're a bit too complex for small indies to attempt successfully, and have been completely abandoned by larger companies. Even Nintendo has gone more of a 2d mario in 3d route. Fans of the genre have been starving for a good old fashioned collectathon for years. Cannot wait for this.

PSqueak

Banned
Is there a reason some folks are concerned with the gender of a lizard and bat in a video game?

Is there any reason why people have to say this every time someone mentions character gender?

Here is the thing, some people care, you might not, it's no big deal to you, but it is to others.

Discusing the gender of the characters, and saying "i wish it was [gender] instead" is no different from people criticising Laylee's nose by saying "i wish her nose was smaller" or something similar, yet, i don't see anybody saying "Why does the nose size matter?".

They're design choices and different people have different tastes.

Jay Sosa

That isn't how collectibles are supposed to work, they're supposed to give you useful (more health, better equipment..) or cool (concept art, bonus levels) stuff. Not fucking useless achievements.

Is there a reason some folks are concerned with the gender of a lizard and bat in a video game?

Are you new to GAF?

whyman

That isn't how collectibles are supposed to work, they're supposed to give you useful (more health, better equipment..) or cool (concept art, bonus levels) stuff. Not fucking useless achievements.

I agree with this. Collectibles with no real gameplay gain is outdated.

What a fucking waste.

This is highly unlikely. I am uncertain as to how many copies of Kinect Sports were actually sold but I would estimate that it is likely in the millions. At this point the kickstarter has about 32,00 backers. Microsoft and Rare made the correct decision as far as sales are concerned.

Vena

To the discussion before over 3D platformers from Nintendo: Splatoon in single-player is a 3D platformer, it just happens to include shooting things and collecting yellow fish but level design could well have come straight from or fit right into Sunshine.

Toad is also a psuedo-platformer in the 3D.

Install base is only so relevant, the question is more about what that install base is made out of and, if you look at who buys what and how much of it from what genres. A large chunk of the PS4's install base (proportionally much larger than the same on the WiiU) won't care that this game exists just as they didn't care that LBP3 existed. Just as they won't care that Bloodborne exists or that anything that isn't CoD/Fifa/Madden exists. (Naturally, the WiiU has the same of "if it isn't Mario".)

If Shovel Knight on the WiiU can sell comparatively well against all of Steam millions of users or even the 3DS, you know that platforming and nostalgia can push sales high on Nintendo systems even dead ones like the WiiU.

Jay Sosa

To the discussion before over 3D platformers from Nintendo: Splatoon in single-player is a 3D platformer, it just happens to include shooting things and collecting yellow fish but level design could well have come straight from or fit right into Sunshine.

This is Dark Soul's is an JRPG all over again. Hell I even read somewhere that Sunset Overdrive is a platformer. Y'all crazy

Josh7289

Backed. Somehow the video of Grant Kirkhope playing Spiral Mountain from Banjo-Kazooie to promote this project really got to me. I couldn't help but back Yooka-Laylee. I didn't realize how badly I missed this kind of game.

Nanashrew

Banned
This is Dark Soul's is an JRPG all over again. Hell I even read somewhere that Sunset Overdrive is a platformer. Y'all crazy

Comes from more Nintendo than anyone else. They have alternated in calling the main campaign a platformer and a shooter. It does have a lot of platforming from what I have seen, as well as puzzle solving.

GRW810

If they end up raking in way, way more then the initial £1m target what will they do with it? Is there a precedent for developer expenditure on games whose Kickstarter income exceeded all listed tiers? What could they realistically use an increasingly bigger budget for?

Well, dozen of corporate suits with annual salaries in the hundred of thousand$ decided not to release 3D platformers on 360 for 8 years because they thought said audience wasn't there. They couldn't be wrong, could they?

They were probably working on the same self-fulfilling prophecy that maybe 3D platformers wouldn't sell, so they just didn't fund them. I doubt it's based on facts.

Jay Sosa

Comes from more Nintendo than anyone else. They have alternated in calling the main campaign a platformer and a shooter. It does have a lot of platforming from what I have seen, as well as puzzle solving.

While it may have platforming and is in 3D it isn't a 3D platformer (I know that sounds crazy). That's why I think (3D) Jump and Run is actually a better name for the genre.

That's bs. Especially back in the 360 days. A lot of people including me bought a 360 in hope for throwback RARE games, at least we got Kameo.

I doubt it will sell worse on the One than the U
, if the U is even still alive by then

you said it yourself, back in the 360 days.
I also bought a 360 purely for rare games, worst console purchase i ever made and if you think that all those fans went on the buy an xbox one you must be deluded.

the game will sell better on whatever nintendo console is out buy the time this arrives, it will also sell well on pc,ps4 but xbox dudebros will never put down there shooters and football games in a large number for a platformer.

What's left of Rare isn't allowed to think any more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfaN267lI_Y

Panther chameleons like in that pic are where males are more multi coloured, but in carpet chameleons females are more multi coloured. The panther males will have a pronounced rostral process (pointy nose). It's easier to figure out gender in panther ones than other species.

Carpet chameleons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtZcLPkU5T0

carpet_cameleon1.jpg
carpet_chameleon2.jpg

Left: male. Right: female.

Pregnant chameleons go for darker colours to shoo away the males.

Not just colour, there are various criteria where certain species can flip the gender expectation. For example on size, male panther chameleons are bigger but in dwarf chameleons, female are. One thing generalisable seems to be spurs (outgrowths on the back feet), that if present in certain species even at birth can tell it's a male and if there is no spur then a female.

http://animals.pawnation.com/tell-chameleons-gender-4808.html

That was actually really interesting :eek:

Synth

Yes. You're still effectively solving platforming puzzles, though. Which is why I said a psuedo-platformer.

There is a small subgenre of platformers without player controlled jumping, I believe.

Gotcha, just looked up various videos of it, and can see how it'd somewhat fit.

Everything I'd seen of it looked more like:

and less like:

so I hadn't really seen much of a platforming aspect to it before.

Nanashrew

Banned
While it may have platforming and is in 3D it isn't a 3D platformer (I know that sounds crazy). That's why I think (3D) Jump and Run is actually a better name for the genre.

Kinda hard to say. There are a lot of platforming parts that are very, very reminiscent of Mario Sunshine with how you can activate things with your paint, to world interaction and making platforms move or change shape, and so on. And that's like the first few levels we've been able to see from those who went to the press event.

Meanwhile the multiplayer mode is more arena shooter with a lot less platforming.

Top Bottom