• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yooka-Laylee |OT| Reptile Rolling in the 90’s

Lijik

No PS4 patch yet, or even an update on it at this point is quite disappointing.....this patch has already been out for PC for weeks!!!!!!!!

No Switch version yet, or even an update on it at this point is quite disappointing.....this game has already been out for everything else for months!!!!!!!!

yall out here worrying about the minor shit, meanwhile when will I get the 64 bit shader???????????
/s obvs but still....playtonic where is it

Jay Sosa

I bought this for $10 during Prime Day -- worth playing now or should I wait for the patch? I have other stuff I could dig into in the meanwhile...

I gave it a try last week..

. looks great
. MC seem very likable
. 'voices' are godawful (I assume you can turn them off though)
. controls feel off
. camera is all over the place, but didn't bother me that much
. Levels are too big for their own good and completely lack focus (way worse than in Banjo-Tooie, which wasn't very great in that aspect to begin with)

Overall it didn't seem to be worth my time tbh..what bothered me the most was the level design and the controls.

Mind you, I played the game for maybe an hour or so on a friends PS4.. so maybe it does get a lot better later on. I doubt it though.

Robin64

Calm yourselves, Switch owners, we have a second shot!

DGZaJ6yWsAAETU7.jpg

Robin64

The PS4 and XB1 patches are out now.

http://www.playtonicgames.com/huge-console-patch-now/

Switch "update":

The Playtonic team continues to work flat-out on the Nintendo Switch version of Yooka-Laylee. We’re aware of the huge demand for more news on this and appreciate your patience as we work out the final issues. As soon as we’re 100% confident with this version and everything is approved, we will make sure you’re first to know the release date!

Got the platinum so sadly I already got my fill of the game. That said, the Hurdle Hijinx and Up N Nova high score pagies were a fucking nightmare in an otherwise great game so I'm curious to see how they improved them. The snow plow in glitterglaze sucked too but it was manageable.

muteki

Looking forward to giving it another go. I played up to the second world on the PS4 version and while the first boss was a little annoying, didn't have any major complaints.

Can't wait to jump back in! CAN wait to try the INEPT fight again though :(

I really did love what I've played of this game though. One of my top of the year so far. I just love exploring those worlds and the music is amazing.

bumpkin

Man, not even a rough guess on a Switch release date, huh? Maybe they've got a lot more ironing out to do.

My guess is Jan or Feb 2018.
I'll be bullshit if that ends up being the case.

Not that I'd be able to do anything about it other than bitch, piss and moan, but whatever. Just underscores my decision to no longer back games on KS.

Finally! As have a few people here, I haven't wanted to dive into this until it was patched.

I never played much of Banjo or DK64 back in the day as Mario 64 was my jam for 3d platformers but this looks pretty interesting.

I just now have to track this down on a sale somewhere or used if possible.

I got the Platinum about a couple days after the game launched so there isn't much reason to go back at the moment but I'll give the patched version a shot to see how much better it makes the game. To me, YK was a 6/10 more or less. I think I could bumped it up to a 7 in my head if it was a bit more polished.

Not that I'd be able to do anything about it other than bitch, piss and moan, but whatever. Just underscores my decision to no longer back games on KS.

Considering that Odyssey and A Hat in Time are both coming out this fall, Playtonic might want to wait it out. A Hat in Time isn't coming out for Switch yet, though so maybe Playtonic don't see it as competition.

Yeah... I backed it and I'm pretty frustrated by the delay. It's probably the first and last time I'll ever back something on Kickstarter after the way this has turned out.

As someone who backed on Day 1 waaayyy back when it was supposed to come out for Wii U....I'm really disappointed its taking so long.

I mean, I guess its nice they're fixing it and we'll get the patched game...but....holy cow this has put me off of ever backing a game on Kickstarter or anything ever again. I mean, we went almost a full month with no info and complete silence on the game. It'd be nice to get weekly updates from the devs or at least hear about what they're doing currently in the game, even if it's dumb stuff they're tweaking or improving.

I'm fine with the Switch version taking its sweet time if they perfect it in the end, especially as it's taking advantage of the updates being day 1 for the most positive first impression.

I just wish/hope that Nintendo rolls out the red carpet and publishes it, complete with a YL amiibo bundle, and DK and Diddy amiibo support for cameos (and may as well add Shovel Knight amiibo support since he's in it anyway).

The game deserves it.

I'm fine with the Switch version taking its sweet time if they perfect it in the end, especially as it's taking advantage of the updates being day 1 for the most positive first impression.

I just wish/hope that Nintendo rolls out the red carpet and publishes it, complete with a YL amiibo bundle, and DK and Diddy amiibo support for cameos (and may as well add Shovel Knight amiibo support since he's in it anyway).

The game deserves it.

The game didn't release with the other versions so they are lucky if Nintendo even gives them a tweet.

RK128

Switch "update":

Finally, going to hop back into this soon then :). Been playing Crash (got quite far in Crash 1 thus far) so excited to give Yooka-Laylee another shot. I liked what I played but I'm hopeful the new patch makes it a better experience.

And for Nintendo fans pissed about this taking too long...I don't know what to say really :(. Nintendo systems are known to have poor third party support, so the Switch being treated as 'we will release it when we can' heavily reminds me of various Vita ports from indie projects that take a very long time to come out. This isn't bad though, as key examples (Shu and Axiom Verge come to mind) are fantastic ports on Vita.

I'm sure Yooka-Laylee will be great on Switch with all the time it's taking to cook. But I disagree with Hero's comments. This isn't like Shovel Knight that had a close connection to Nintendo since day-one and released on that first. It's releasing a lot later. So Nintendo just saying 'It's out! Have fun!' would be enough really. If we are getting Nintendo cameos or major Nintendo backing, we would have heard it by this point.

Regardless, happy the game is patched on consoles and that the Switch version is still in development.

Switch "update":

I feel like this is thread worthy? I think a lot of people like me were waiting on a purchase until they fixed these issues, so I will definitely jump in now. Hopefully we can get some impressions in here soon.

FWIW ̶E̶u̶r̶o̶g̶a̶m̶e̶r̶ Playtonic posted this gif of the new camera

yooka-laylee-patch-will-tone-down-gibberish-voices-149380649259.gif

I'm sure Yooka-Laylee will be great on Switch with all the time it's taking to cook. But I disagree with Hero's comments. This isn't like Shovel Knight that had a close connection to Nintendo since day-one and released on that first. It's releasing a lot later. So Nintendo just saying 'It's out! Have fun!' would be enough really. If we are getting Nintendo cameos or major Nintendo backing, we would have heard it by this point.

Playtonic is basically Rareware 2.0 which as we all know was among Nintendo's greatest partners in the 90's and the 2000's prior to the buyout (hell they went above and beyond and STILL supported the handhelds even under MS until 2008 with Pocket Paradise being their swansong).

Nintendo did also feature Playtonic FIRST IIRC in the series where devs made Mario Maker levels.

Playtonic have that treasured Nintendo legacy and hell Nintendo gave a nod to that legacy in Hey! Pikmin:

https://twitter.com/KremlingForce/status/891847658465361925

Playtonic more than deserve it, especially because they seem to be taking care of the Switch version themselves and not passing it to Team17 (as they also intended for the canned Wii U version) BECAUSE of that legacy also.

Finally, going to hop back into this soon then :). Been playing Crash (got quite far in Crash 1 thus far) so excited to give Yooka-Laylee another shot. I liked what I played but I'm hopeful the new patch makes it a better experience.

And for Nintendo fans pissed about this taking too long...I don't know what to say really :(. Nintendo systems are known to have poor third party support, so the Switch being treated as 'we will release it when we can' heavily reminds me of various Vita ports from indie projects that take a very long time to come out. This isn't bad though, as key examples (Shu and Axiom Verge come to mind) are fantastic ports on Vita.

Regardless, happy the game is patched on consoles and that the Switch version is still in development.

lol comparing the Switch to the Vita.

bumpkin

I think they know that they're sending the game out to die any later than September. Mario Odyssey will eat its lunch, I know I'll be waiting for a sale if it hits in the Odyssey launch window.
Pretty much. If it's not out before Odyssey, they may as well not even bother and sit on it until next year; at which point, most people won't even give a shit anymore anyways. They'll be announcing Twoka-Laylee and Switch owners will just then be getting the original game.

RK128

Playtonic is basically Rareware 2.0 which as we all know was among Nintendo's greatest partners in the 90's and the 2000's prior to the buyout (hell they went above and beyond and STILL supported the handhelds even under MS until 2008 with Pocket Paradise being their swansong).

Nintendo did also feature Playtonic FIRST IIRC in the series where devs made Mario Maker levels.

Playtonic have that treasured Nintendo legacy and hell Nintendo gave a nod to that legacy in Hey! Pikmin:

https://twitter.com/KremlingForce/status/891847658465361925

Playtonic more than deserve it, especially because they seem to be taking care of the Switch version themselves and not passing it to Team17 (as they also intended for the canned Wii U version) BECAUSE of that legacy also.

Okay okay! Sorry for being a bit jerkish with my comments buddy. Never even saw that nod to them in Hey Pikmin (3DS game). Really cool to see that :).

So is the PS4 patch not up yet? Still not home and noone's posted any impressions yet....

Just played around with it on a new save for a few minutes. New camera is really nice and it feels smoother for some reason (playing on PS4 Slim via digital version).

lol comparing the Switch to the Vita.

The Switch is Vita 2.0 basically with indies bringing their games on to that now. So...it's a fitting comparison I feel. Sorry if you feel that's wrong.

Sponge

Banned

The game deserves it.

It's a shame Yooka-Laylee wasn't received all that well. I would love to see all the support you mentioned but I can't see it happening now. Anywhere I go that isn't Neogaf either was disappointed in the game in some fashion, or they're a Jontron defender.

With that said I'm looking forward to the Switch release. I'm excited to play this game portably.

maxcriden

Is there a new thread for the patch? On mobile or I'd make one, I'm sure many would be glad the know it. Looking forward to finally jumping in sometime soon.

illusionary

Good to see that the Capital Cashino glitch is indeed finally fixed, and retroactively so (re-enter the world to be awarded any missing Pagies) - I have my platinum trophy at last!

Is there a new thread for the patch? On mobile or I'd make one, I'm sure many would be glad the know it. Looking forward to finally jumping in sometime soon.

No; there's not really any need for one - this as the OT still should work fine, and it's been bumped enough that it should get attention in the same way as a new thread might.

WillyFive

Playtonic is Rare 2.0?? Lol yeah sure. Im glad they exist but they need to accomplish a lot before we call them that.

The sentiment is based on viewing Playtonic as a continuity of 90s Rare as opposed to a full successor. All a continuity has to do is have the same people continue on what they were doing before; a successor however has to make this generation's Donkey Kong Country, Goldeneye and Banjo-Kazooie, which Playtonic hasn't even had the time to attempt.

Nice. Excited to finally play tonight!

Still no Pro support. WTF???

Yup. Pro support and the orchestral soundtrack are still oddly missing. It's concerning we haven't even heard word on the orchestral soundtrack update since release.

This game really just launched 6 months too early.

hydruxo

Nice. Excited to finally play tonight!

Yup. Pro support and the orchestral soundtrack are still oddly missing. It's concerning we haven't even heard word on the orchestral soundtrack update since release.

This game really just launched 6 months too early.

Considering this patch took 4 months to hit consoles, I don't expect the next patch adding that stuff again for a long while lol. Maybe whenever the Switch port drops.

quabba

I've been holding out on this because I want to play it on switch in handheld mode but I really wanted this to come out before Odyssey... I mean the reception to this has been mixed I think it'll be harder to enjoy playing this right after Odyssey.

bumpkin

I've been holding out on this because I want to play it on switch in handheld mode but I really wanted this to come out before Odyssey... I mean the reception to this has been mixed I think it'll be harder to enjoy playing this right after Odyssey.
This game is DOA if it doesn't come out before Osyssey.

Robin64

This game is DOA if it doesn't come out before Osyssey.

Yeah, this is where I am with it too. It would've been perfect to come out when the other versions did, and even a month or two later would be okay, but at this point we're getting close to Odyssey and that's just going to steal any limelight this might have had.

Still no Pro support. WTF???

While I am sure Pro support would be nice, I hope they actually work on finishing what was promised in the Kickstarter first before moving on to other things.

I'm nervous now about going home and downloading this. I didn't have that Token bug in Cashino, I had a different one when you didn't receive a Pagie after defeating the boss. I have a strong suspicion I won't be retroactively getting that Pagie back.

Top Bottom