• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yooka-Laylee |OT| Reptile Rolling in the 90’s

Considering how much Nintendo's been embracing the indie scene lately, I'd really love it if they decided to work with Playtonic on future games, similar to how they worked with the guys who made Friendshapes to get Snipperclips out.

One thing the old Banjo games have over Yooka-Laylee is the fact they were basically AAA productions in their time, while YL is just a dinky little kickstarter indie project, which is why it the game seems to lack a lot of the same polish BK and BT had. Imagine Tooka-Laylee with the budget and polish of a Nintendo game. Mhmmmm....

The game does seem very polished so far (still in the first world, expanded). Imo this could have been an Nintendo exclusive game for full price.
Don't forget that BK had camera problems and framerate drops.
I know what you mean though but this game is a godsend. I just hope it sells well.

One thing the old Banjo games have over Yooka-Laylee is the fact they were basically AAA productions in their time, while YL is just a dinky little kickstarter indie project, which is why it the game seems to lack a lot of the same polish BK and BT had. Imagine Tooka-Laylee with the budget and polish of a Nintendo game. Mhmmmm....

Regardless of whether I enjoy this game or not, the one thing I'm hoping for is that it does well enough that they get an increased budget for a sequel from a publisher.

Either that or I hope they fully embrace the N64 roots for the next game and make everything very low-poly so it runs better, they can make more worlds, and focus on gameplay polish (again, haven't played it yet, but just going off of a lot of what I've heard).

The game does seem very polished so far (still in the first world, expanded). Imo this could have been an Nintendo exclusive game for full price.
Don't forget that BK had camera problems and framerate drops.
I know what you mean though but this game is a godsend. I just hope it sells well.

Can't wait for tomorrow to go buy my copy!

Eusis

Apparently Steam release is an absolute mess.

Everyone received the information it would release worldwide on 12AM UK time. So there were multiple countdowns from thirsty PC backers envying console players and, nothing, absolutely nothing.

Game actually releases in 16 hours. And there isn't even pre-loading as it was mentioned by them.
Unless Playtonics said differently it CAN still unlock earlier (and unfortunately the reverse holds true too.) I'll hope they get it unlocked earlier, but I won't expect it.

Got to try this out for a bit. Definitely enjoyed what I played so far. Had the camera freak out a bit once going down a ramp, but overall I haven't noticed any serious performance bugs on PS4.

I am still a bit bummed this isn't out on Switch yet. My plan is - if I really like this game, I will buy it again on Switch (have a PS4 copy preordered). This, Snake Pass, Mario Odyssey and I finished Ratchet and Clank his year? Some gooood times.

Watching the GB quick look and the roll ability seems fiddly and bad :(

It very much is, the move set is hit and miss. The missions are hit and miss. Lots of things that are fantastic feeling and then completely opposite and feel super odd or frustrating. Still... we don't get games like this and if you have any inkling of love for the genre... should try it out!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Been playing for awhile(10 hours I think) and am up to World 4. Have gotten pretty much 90% of collectibles in first three worlds and am REALLY liking this game quite a bit.

Worlds and challenges keep improving, though World 2 has been kind of the weakest so far, as 1 and 3 just had more interesting layouts and great design obstacles comparatively. Visually its been a treat and have not really had any camera problems outside of the rare hangup, but even then its yet to interfere with a challenge. I always have plenty of pagies to unlock the expanded form of worlds before entering, so my first foray has always been the full world(outside of the first which forces you into the small version briefly).

I can imagine this thread may be filled with plenty of people having navigation issues. Levels are large and you really need to have a somewhat strong appetite to explore and wander as there isn't much guidance beyond your own perception and memory. I can imagine the final missing collectibles being a pain to find when I go for them.

Some challenges can be a real pain(Dark gem cave in World 2) and the first high score arcade challenge notably for me. The other arcade high score challenges I got on the first attempt though, but that RC Pro Am one had me ducking out to try again later. Overall have yet to be really frustrated outside of the above. (Boss 1 will wreck people until they realize
they can roll very slowly and focus on jumping
)

Was pretty unsure how this would turn out given the early footage was a letdown and the reviews were a bit low, but in my time playing, I would easily score it an 8 so far. Still have two worlds left. For those curious, I loved BK and N&B, LOATHED Tooie and DK64. This is much closer to BK and features less minigame hell than the Rare games I dislike, so far. Just solid exploration and challenges that push your move abilities. It's great stuff.

Watching the GB quick look and the roll ability seems a little fiddly

I kinda noticed how slippery it was when playing through the Toybox. Was definitely my only real issue in terms of controls. Pretty unfortunate considering this is supposed to be our Talon Trot in this game.

Lynd7

What do u get for getting the high score on Kartos Karting minigame? I've been a couple of seconds off annoyingly.

Was going to get physical on PS4 until I saw on the first page that it's 30fps even on the Pro. Will be getting Steam version.

Says it'll unlock in 14hrs :( why does Steam do this?

Kinsei

Banned
The transformation in the third world has dethrones the washing machine as my favorite transformation.

What do u get for getting the high score on Kartos Karting minigame? I've been a couple of seconds off annoyingly.

A pagie.

Are US backers getting their physical rewards?

Nothing for me yet. It's one thing to (probably) be getting the game later, but it's beyond frustrating that they're unwilling to share any of the tracking info with their backers despite it existing. Who does things like that, I don't get it.

ckfy63a

Damn, I was pleasantly surprised by the DF analysis which shows that the game runs at a near-locked 30FPS at 1080p on consoles. Hopefully (especially since Playtonic is handling the Nintendo Switch version internally, from what I understand?) we can get a locked 720p30FPS experience on the Nintendo Switch, and not too long from now.

Sponge

Banned
Considering how much Nintendo's been embracing the indie scene lately, I'd really love it if they decided to work with Playtonic on future games, similar to how they worked with the guys who made Friendshapes to get Snipperclips out.

Now this is something I can get behind. Lovely idea.

Gartooth

Been playing it with my PS4 code for a couple hours tonight. I have felt like a kid again so much with this game so if you are a fan of Rare's games it is definitely worth checking out. Banjo-Kazooie is in my top 10 games of all time so take my impressions as you will.

The performance has been decent on PS4 but the loading times are shit. I thought the game was never going to load when I started a file. The levels aren't as easy to navigate as Banjo Kazooie and also take much longer to complete. I have the first world expanded but am still missing 9 Pagies. (25 per world) 2 or 3 are for sure because I need to get a move from the next world. To get the most out of thid game you will need to check every nook and cranny. The hub has a lot more to do in it this time around, but it doesn't have the charm of Gruntilda's Lair.

The camera will get caught on a ton of things and was immediately noticeable as soon as I started the game. Also the first world demands a lot of precision with the roll ability which is more than the controls can give. Some of the challenges are fun in an old school way and some are just bad like the first Rextro minigame.

I can definitely see where the 6 to 7 review scores were coming from so it isn't a game for everyone. Right now it is about an 8 for me but that is on heavy nostalgia.

J@hranimo

Banned
Damn, I was pleasantly surprised by the DF analysis which shows that the game runs at a near-locked 30FPS at 1080p on consoles. Hopefully (especially since Playtonic is handling the Nintendo Switch version internally, from what I understand?) we can get a locked 720p30FPS experience on the Nintendo Switch, and not too long from now.

Yeah they should hit 1080p/30fps docked and 720p/30fps undocked no problem, granted while taking a hit on some IQ.

DJKhaled

The first boss was almost too easy. Anyone know what to do with the cloud? I can't figure it out.

EDIT: figured it out, it was a bit hidden.

This game still rules 5 hours in. It's so fun to just explore and run around the world. I've missed games like this.

Also I found that RC Pro AM game super easy and kind of fun. Beat the high score on my 2nd try and I'm TERRIBLE at real RC Pro AM. Just don't take the shortcut and avoid the reverse controls and you can do it with time to spare.

Damn, loaded this game up for the first time and as soon as the main menu came up, I got all of these nostalgic Banjo Kazooie feelings. Seeing all of the icons with faces and making the silly gibberish voices made me feel like starting a new BK! Nailed that Banjo feel!

Love Ratchet and Clank. Would this be a good pick up? Never really played Banjo-Kazooie but loved playing colorful games like Crash, Jak, sly in the past.

_Slay

Hey guys wondering if someone can help me out here. I originally backed for a PS4 code and changed it to an Xbox One at some point (I think? I can only find the email confirming it was a PS4 code but it could have been the other way around and did not go through).

Either way I ended up with a Xbox One code but I no longer have an Xbox One so I don't what to do with this.

Emailed support and they said it is too late to change it. I'd like to play the game but I can't buy it at full price unless I can get rid of this code.

Eusis

Huge bummer about Steam not releasing for 12 hours. Thought I'd be playing by midnight.

Ahhhh well, stoked for tomorrow
I was cautiously optimistic that'd be the case but it has been a thing in the past to wait until the next morning anyway. Looks like that's happened AGAIN despite being a game from the UK.

Ac30

I imagine shadows won't look as good along with the draw distance like in Tribalstack Tropics.''edit: Wait, I just remembered the Switch trailer for the game. It already looks pretty good so far lol.

There's a switch trailer? I doubt it's running on a switch

Bookman

Played like 10 minutes but I was positive surprised. Have the reviewers complained about not being able to pusch a button to quiet dialog or did I imagined? Maby the patched it cause it seem to worj just fine except in cutscenes

Top Bottom