• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi’s Crafted World - Gameplay.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Check out uninterrupted gameplay of two full stages in Yoshi’s Crafted World for Nintendo Switch: Poochy’s Sweet Run (a dessert-themed world) and Deceptive Doors (a Ninja-themed world). Then get a sneak peek at a newly revealed stage: Haunted Maker Mansion, which makes for a great (albeit belated) send-off to Halloween. Along the way, you’ll see single-player, 2-player, and one of the adorable, protective costumes Yoshi can wear in this new adventure!

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Hmm, I'll reserve judgment but it seems far too collect-a-thony for my tastes. The novelty of switching layers and flipping the camera is 10 years outdated (even by Nintendo's own standards)

I also don't like the aesthetic, but I felt that way about Wooly World and it ended up being the best Yoshi game in the franchise, IMO. WW was constantly changing up the mechanics and level designs from beginning to end. It's what caught me. One level had you pushing the Chomp ball. Another level was far more vertical and had you bouncing on leaves. Every level offered some unique mechanic or interesting twist.

If they repeat that here, excellent. But so far, it looks like the depth involves shooting eggs at various background elements to collect items and reveal secrets.

P2uQX3rl.png

HK5iC20l.png

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I am so relieved the speed has been increased.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
the way this game looks.... mmmm.... makes me want to light up a bowl

Super Mario World 2 had that effect too! Nintendo does trippy cartoons very well.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Loving this game demo. Looks beautiful plays like a dream I even like the much maligned music, has a nice DIY feel that reminds me of Sesame Street but with that Nintendo twist

Last edited:

Rodolink

Me and my wife loved Wolly World, kind of disappointed this one had almost the same aesthetic , and i don't dig the over saturated palette. But we'll give it a try anyway.

iconmaster

Banned
My daughter seemed to really enjoy the demo, and that's probably what matters.

The game has some of those neat physical interactions like Kirby's Epic Yarn.

Andyliini

The demo was super fun, I can't wait to play the full game now. Seems like there will be much to do and find in the full game, even if the first stage was quite short and easy. I wonder if they have a sadistic hard level by the end.

Kamina

Golden Boy
But can you create stuff? the name and look of the game remind me of LBP, that would be interesting.
No, but you can set mechanisms in motion.
Unless there is an unannounced stage-creation mode in the game.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
Count me into those converted by the demo.

I loved Yoshi’s Island (replaying it on the Mini actually) and Yoshi’s Story. While Wooly World looked adorable, I could never reach the level of excitement that’d push me to buy it.

That’s why the demo was such a good idea from Nintendo. Playing it reminded me of what a feel good franchise this is, little things that make you smile, and showed that 100%ing is still as fun as ever.

Yoshi

dark10x - even though I agree the Yoshi's New Island soundtrack is pretty shitty for the most part, you know exactly what you did with picking the goofy short intro sound "Yoshi clan", which is not used in gameplay :p. Nice video otherwise.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
love to see that rock solid performance. only a tiny dip but otherwise 60fps. ill take performance over IQ any day.

that's been the best thing about first party Switch games IMO Nintendo with the quality control

Antoon

Banned
This looks like another Style over Substance Yoshi game. We havent had a good Yoshi game since Yoshis Island 2, so I smell another flop.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
This looks like another Style over Substance Yoshi game. We havent had a good Yoshi game since Yoshis Island 2, so I smell another flop.
Wooly World was surprisingly diverse and creative it is level designs, and I say that as someone who doesn't like this franchise.

Yoshi

Wooly World was surprisingly diverse and creative it is level designs, and I say that as someone who doesn't like this franchise.
Amazing how you can demonstrate good taste (Antoon: Yoshi's Island 2; DDDP: Wolly World) and bad taste (both: Series in general) at the same time!

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Amazing how you can demonstrate good taste (Antoon: Yoshi's Island 2; DDDP: Wolly World) and bad taste (both: Series in general) at the same time!
I'm just picky. My taste is exceptional. :messenger_halo:

I fell asleep after 40 min.
The first two levels are fairly boilerplate, but once I was halfway through the first world and saw all the different tools at your disposal and the variety of stage themes, I was hooked. I could probably count the number of "generic, boring platforming levels" on one hand from that game, and two of those levels would be the first two levels.

Antoon

Banned
I'm just picky. My taste is exceptional. :messenger_halo:

The first two levels are fairly boilerplate, but once I was halfway through the first world and saw all the different tools at your disposal and the variety of stage themes, I was hooked. I could probably count the number of "generic, boring platforming levels" on one hand from that game, and two of those levels would be the first two levels.

It gave me a lot of Kirby Epic Yarn vibes, which was also a snorefest to me. I mean they both look very creative, and definitely beat anything on PS3/PS4 in terms of artstyle, but it felt way too slow and boring compared the more serious tone of Yoshis Island 1/2. It was just always so cute and cheerful that it quickly lost its magic.

Yoshi

It gave me a lot of Kirby Epic Yarn vibes, which was also a snorefest to me. I mean they both look very creative, and definitely beat anything on PS3/PS4 in terms of artstyle, but it felt way too slow and boring compared the more serious tone of Yoshis Island 1/2. It was just always so cute and cheerful that it quickly lost its magic.
Yoshi's Woolly World is pretty different from Kirby Epic Yarn, in particular when it comes to challenge, because Kirby has none, but Yoshi has quite a few challenging levels, especially among the unlockable ones.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I won't browbeat anyone over disliking an art style. I'm pretty tolerant towards stuff like that but I know a lot of people aren't and that's reasonable. Visuals are a critical part of appeal.

What got me was the variety between levels. In one level, you're maneuvering the classic Chomp Rock to crush enemies and break barriers (much like the previous Yoshi games), except this time you're also unravelling/reforming the boulder depending on what the puzzle calls for. WW spins quite a few of the standard Yoshi franchise tropes on their head.

A really good example of where the art style might get in the way of fun design is this level where you're in an infant's crib (essentially) jumping between arms of various mobiles:

Borderline offensive to people who are sensitive to Nintendo's cutesy art style, but one of the better levels from the game in terms of variety. I can see why people skip WW, but that didn't stop me from playing through the whole thing and loving it.

And like Yoshi Yoshi pointed out, this game hides a fair amount of challenge. I'm not sure we can trust a user named 'Yoshi' for a Yoshi game, but then again my namesake is about shmups, so maybe I'm not trustworthy regarding that genre, either. :pie_thinking:

Last edited:

GrayFoxRJ

Banned
I've never been into the Nintendo's secondary platform games like Kirby, Yoshi and Donkey Kong (retro ones), but I really enjoyed my time in the demo. I may get it down the line, but not on release.

TLZ

Banned
Can't wait to play the full game in a month :D

That music you played dark10x is soothing Yoshi music ;)

zenspider

Hmm, I'll reserve judgment but it seems far too collect-a-thony for my tastes. The novelty of switching layers and flipping the camera is 10 years outdated (even by Nintendo's own standards)

I also don't like the aesthetic, but I felt that way about Wooly World and it ended up being the best Yoshi game in the franchise, IMO. WW was constantly changing up the mechanics and level designs from beginning to end. It's what caught me. One level had you pushing the Chomp ball. Another level was far more vertical and had you bouncing on leaves. Every level offered some unique mechanic or interesting twist.

If they repeat that here, excellent. But so far, it looks like the depth involves shooting eggs at various background elements to collect items and reveal secrets.

Have you played the demo yet? [are you allowed to play 2019 demos?]

I'm curious as to what you'd think after a hands-on session. Ostensibly it is a collect-a-thon style game, but it feels really good and something about the exploration of the stages feels genuinely novel, but I can't quite put my finger on what it is.

I was bored to tears by Wooly World, but I was in a bad place at the time and wasn't enjoying much of anything.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Have you played the demo yet? [are you allowed to play 2019 demos?]

I'm curious as to what you'd think after a hands-on session. Ostensibly it is a collect-a-thon style game, but it feels really good and something about the exploration of the stages feels genuinely novel, but I can't quite put my finger on what it is.

I was bored to tears by Wooly World, but I was in a bad place at the time and wasn't enjoying much of anything.
I haven't played the demo yet, but demos are allowed. I tried out the Daemon X Machina demo, for instance.

I'll return with my thoughts after I download it.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I haven't played the demo yet, but demos are allowed. I tried out the Daemon X Machina demo, for instance.

I'll return with my thoughts after I download it.
I really enjoyed it what I played, there are some issue here and there I like them to address but I am absolutely sold on this game.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
zenspider zenspider

I tried the demo. It's okay. The best thing it has going for it is the smooth performance and the finely-tuned platforming controls. If nothing else, Nintendo knows how to make a platformer that controls well.

The aesthetics aren't doing it for me. The paper and cardboard makes it all feel too "cheap". Even Tearaway made paper look more interesting than this. Forks in the path seem to have replaced true level branching, unfortunately. Yoshi's Story tried to do that as well and I don't think it worked. I prefer the maze of 2D stages with vertical sections, hidden areas, and a network of pipes from previous Yoshi titles. Wooly World did this really well.

You can hit certain items in the background with your eggs, and this is yet another "thing to collect" with no skill involved. My second mission was immediately running back through the first level to find some cute Poochie pups. My third mission was replaying the first mission again and shooting some cows.

My gut tells me this will be the same way throughout the game. I don't like having to search through a level for Flowers (which are now required to unlock new areas). I want some healthy challenge like in Wooly World.

Last edited:
This is the first game that makes me really question how long the Switch can last in the market. I mean most of the other games are no feat in terms of rendering performance but 396p and 576p? Really?

Handheld mode renders out to 30% of the the system screens native 1280x720 resolution, and the docked mode renders out to 28% of a televisions 1920x1080 resolution....

That's absolutely horrible, even on that little tiny Switch screen the game is incredibly blurry...

Danjin44

This is the first game that makes me really question how long the Switch can last in the market. I mean most of the other games are no feat in terms of rendering performance but 396p and 576p? Really?

Handheld mode renders out to 30% of the the system screens native 1280x720 resolution, and the docked mode renders out to 28% of a televisions 1920x1080 resolution....

That's absolutely horrible, even on that little tiny Switch screen the game is incredibly blurry...
People always say this but 3DS survived much longer than PSvita even tho 3DS was much, much weaker system. People who want higher end graphics in their games will already own PS4, Xbox one or PC. Pretty sure I'm not alone on this, the biggest reason I buy Nintendo systems is for its first and third party exclusive that no other systems gets.

People always say this but 3DS survived much longer than PSvita even tho 3DS was much, much weaker system. People who want higher end graphics in their games will already own PS4, Xbox one or PC. Pretty sure I'm not alone on this, the biggest reason I buy Nintendo systems is for its first and third party exclusive that no other systems gets.
3DS is a handheld, this is a home console with the ability to be taken on the go. It has to conform to modern standards and be able to hit resolution targets that are acceptable for television use.

Danjin44

3DS is a handheld, this is a home console with the ability to be taken on the go. It has to conform to modern standards and be able to hit resolution targets that are acceptable for television use.
I would say Switch is hybrid of both handheld and console. To me as long as they deliver on games they will be just fine, this is the key for any system's success.

I would say Switch is hybrid of both handheld and console. To me as long as they deliver on games they will be just fine, this is the key for any system's success.
Your say isn't really relevant to what the system is, you could say it's a spaceship and that has no bearing on what it is.

The sales of the Switch so far say otherwise. I don't really see or hear anyone complaining about it except here. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out, but to me, it only seems like a few vocal posters are complaining about its "limitations".

For me, it has fun games and I can take it with me as a portable. That's all I want. Hell, I still play my 3DS devices from time to time (as well as my Vita). I don't chase tech specs - I just want to play games that I enjoy.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Maybe Nintendo should do some Kirby X Yoshi game. I think it would make a good mix to try.
Kirby and Yoshi share a very cute aesthetic, but they are actually very different gameplay wise. Kirby is almost more of an action game, because platforming is trivial if you can fly freely. Kirby is also almost always very easy, whereas Yoshi games, except for Story, are pretty difficult. Yoshi's Island DS even is one of the most difficult 2D platformers out there. But also New Island, Universal Gravitation, Island (esp. in the GBA remake, with 6 more very difficult levels) and Woolly World have a lot of challenge to them. Only Story deviates from that.

So in that sense, Kirby and Yoshi are not really good fits. They are superficially similar, but in terms of gameplay, focus and target audience, they are actually pretty different.

Hudo

Kirby and Yoshi share a very cute aesthetic, but they are actually very different gameplay wise. Kirby is almost more of an action game, because platforming is trivial if you can fly freely. Kirby is also almost always very easy, whereas Yoshi games, except for Story, are pretty difficult. Yoshi's Island DS even is one of the most difficult 2D platformers out there. But also New Island, Universal Gravitation, Island (esp. in the GBA remake, with 6 more very difficult levels) and Woolly World have a lot of challenge to them. Only Story deviates from that.

So in that sense, Kirby and Yoshi are not really good fits. They are superficially similar, but in terms of gameplay, focus and target audience, they are actually pretty different.
This is exactly why it would be interesting! Wouldn't make sense to create a mix when they'd play similar.

The only thing I would argue is that the recent Yoshi games aren't really that difficult, IMHO. When you compare, say, Woolly World with Yoshi's Island, its like night and day.

Yoshi

This is exactly why it would be interesting! Wouldn't make sense to create a mix when they'd play similar.

The only thing I would argue is that the recent Yoshi games aren't really that difficult, IMHO. When you compare, say, Woolly World with Yoshi's Island, its like night and day.
Woolly World is a bit easier than Island, but Island DS and New Island are more difficult. Universal Gravitation arguably is more difficult as well, but since not so many people know it and it has a different structure, it probably is not a good example to discuss.

I would, on the contrary, find much more important what they could do with a 3D Yoshi game. Due to the egg throw mechanics and Yoshi's flutter jump, he seems pretty perfect for a 3D collectathon with a good dosage of puzzles. Sadly Nintendo refuses to use Yoshi as anything but a support character in 3D contexts.

Hudo

Woolly World is a bit easier than Island, but Island DS and New Island are more difficult. Universal Gravitation arguably is more difficult as well, but since not so many people know it and it has a different structure, it probably is not a good example to discuss.

I would, on the contrary, find much more important what they could do with a 3D Yoshi game. Due to the egg throw mechanics and Yoshi's flutter jump, he seems pretty perfect for a 3D collectathon with a good dosage of puzzles. Sadly Nintendo refuses to use Yoshi as anything but a support character in 3D contexts.
Interesting, I would argue a 3D Kirby would be far more interesting than a 3D Yoshi, as I don't see how 3D would add to the egg throwing mechanic. It seems that we perceive the Yoshi games differently :D

Yoshi

Interesting, I would argue a 3D Kirby would be far more interesting than a 3D Yoshi, as I don't see how 3D would add to the egg throwing mechanic. It seems that we perceive the Yoshi games differently :D
Puzzle- and exploration heavy platformer design profits from 3D, from my point of view and 3D egg-throwing puzzles could be pretty interesting.

Top Bottom