• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshida: Sony Bend's PS4 Game Will Make You Panic

Hmm....one is missing :p

Don't think it works that way.

Europe
Media Molecule - Guildford, UK
Guerrilla Games - Amsterdam, Netherlands
SCE London Studio - London, UK
SCE Cambridge Studio - Cambridge, UK
Evolution Studios - Runcorn, UK
XDev - Liverpool, UK

Japan
SCE Japan Studio - Tokyo, Japan
Polyphony Digital Inc. - Tokyo, Japan
Japan Studio : External Production - Tokyo, Japan

USA
Naughty Dog - Santa Monica, California
SCE Santa Monica Studio- Santa Monica, California
SCE Foster City Studio - Foster City, California
SCE San Diego Studio - San Diego, California
SCE Bend Studio- Bend, Oregon
Sucker Punch - Washington

Hmm... one is missing indeed...

Anyway, I threw a tweet @yosp, asking about the mysterious 16th studio.

Doesn't make sense for him to count internal teams within studios, because there's more than 16 if that's the case.

5 studios in the WWS line-up has 2 core teams. ( ND, MM, SSM, SD, GG )
Another 5 are focused, one team affair based on what we know of their size and prior dev.history. (Bend, SP, PD, EVO, Cambridge)

London and Japan has more than 2 teams because they're huge and does all sorts of stuff from tech to games, but who the hell knows how they allocate resources there.

Foster, XDev, SSM and Japan Ext.Productions are multi-team engagements, since majority of the dev resources come from co-development 3rd-parties.

Anyway, I threw a tweet @yosp, asking about the mysterious 16th studio.

Doesn't make sense for him to count internal teams within studios, because there's more than 16 if that's the case.

5 studios in the WWS line-up has 2 core teams. ( ND, MM, SSM, SD, GG )

London and Japan has more than 2 teams, but who the hell knows how they allocate resources there.

Foster, XDev, SSM and Japan Ext.Productions are multi-team engagements, since majority of the dev resources come from co-development 3rd-parties.
1. He made a mistake
2. He is counting studios with multiple offices (not teams)
3. He is counting Sony Online Entertainment for whatever reason
4. They bought or are about to be buying Quantic Dream or Ready at Dawn

This is so confusing. You do believe or don't?
How so? It would seem likely that they're working on multiple smaller digital games. At least one of them is coming out on the PS4. Doesn't mean it, or others aren't also coming to the Vita. Yoshida's said as much when questioned about the all studios working on PS4 things in the past, and I seem to recall him also outright denying that Bend was done with the Vita on Twitter a while back.

RaikuHebi

Banned
How so? It would seem likely that they're working on multiple smaller digital games. At least one of them is coming out on the PS4. Doesn't mean it, or others aren't also coming to the Vita. Yoshida's said as much when questioned about the all studios working on PS4 things in the past, and I seem to recall him also outright denying that Bend was done with the Vita on Twitter a while back.
Ok now I get your position on the matter.

In your other post I was confused by this:
"no reason, not to, they aren't" all in one sentence was confusing.

On what platforms though?

I think a PS4 Syphon Filter could do pretty well especially if they market the game well.
I gather Syphon Filter was a big success on the PS1, leading Sony to acquire Bend, but then it failed on the PS2 and PSP (in spite of good reviews for the latter).

Come to think of it though, while I doubt Sony would be keen in investing big bucks in the franchise, I actually could see the opposite - Having Bend bring back the series as a downloadable 2D sidescroller. Low financial risk and well within Bend's current means, and while the franchise name seemingly won't sell a big retail title, it will certainly help it stand out among other PSN releases.

In your other post I was confused by this:
"no reason, not to, they aren't" all in one sentence was confusing.
Ah, yeah, looks like I tripped on a double negative there. Went back and corrected it.

stay gold

Looking forward to seeing them back on consoles. A thriller in the vain of Alan Wake would be cool if Syphon Filter is a no go.

MercuryLS

Banned
Sony needs to start talking about more of their 2014 games. The Uncharted tease was so disappointing, shows us a bit of footage!

AOC83

Banned
Sony needs to start talking about more of their 2014 games. The Uncharted tease was so disappointing, shows us a bit of footage!

I agree. It´s time for new stuff and loads of it. The launch is a huge disappointment so far and they need to fuel the hype againb.

Corto

I agree. It´s time for new stuff and loads of it. The launch is a huge disappointment so far and they need to fuel the hype againb.

They need to save some announcements to counter Microsoft ones. Spread them to keep the interest high.

What the..... SSM next game is rumored to be set in space?

OH MY.

Yes. That one will be a huge game. They are hiring some very special people at SSM. And there's still Balrog game still in early stages of production. This is only the beginning.

AOC83

Banned
They need to save some announcements to counter Microsoft ones. Spread them to keep the interest high.

Yes, but they should have more than enough stuff to show off if every single WWS studio is working on new games right now and still keep something for emergencies.

Corto

Why will you not believe the power of the sign!

IT'S A SIGN!

life-of-brian.jpg

I hope Bend get the kind of publisher support RAD have had with The Order, or ND usually get with their releases. I feel like they could be great again if they're given the right platform, the time to realise their ideas properly and decent marketing support from Sony.

Either way, we're probably looking at at least three major new IPs from Sony, with this, SSM's game and The Order. Exciting stuff.

Bend on a console is long overdue, can't wait to see what they're doing

Hopefully the "panic" refers to people freaking over a pandemic. A SYPHON FILTER pandemic

Takao

Banned
SCE owns two handheld dedicated studios.
Shut one of them down before Vita even launches in the west.
Has the other one make PS4 games.

Goodbye Vita, you were too good for the company that birthed you.

HooYaH

Europe
XDev - Liverpool, UK

Japan

USA

Isn't the company in Spain making the dreaded Invizimals?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

yeah. :(

See no reason to believe they aren't working on something for the Vita any more:

I doubt they're working on big retail titles though... Seems more likely they've split up into multiple teams Double Fine style, and are working on several digital titles.

John Garvin said straight out there wouldn't be more Syphon Filter because the games weren't selling well enough any more.

Bend is very small, there is no way they are working on another game while making a PS4 game. and that statement is old as dirt

I think you should just accept the fact :(

Europe
XDev - Liverpool, UK

Japan

USA

Foster City usually helps other studios with sound design and stuff. I don't think they're working on their own game.

Amir0x

Banned

Hey at least we got Killzone Mercenaries and Tearaway before the end

I can think of little more appropriate as to the lost potential of that amazing handheld than Tearaway :(

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
You have to equally consider all of SCE's first-party contract studios. They have a great development community behind them. Ready at Dawn, Quantic Dream, Sanzaru Games, Bluepoint Games, Mass Media, Spectrum Entertainment, Insomniac, etc. Alongside all those great indie studios making PSN software for PS4/PSVita.

I-hate-u

Why didn't he comment on Naughty Dogs game? Maybe "safe" is the word for their next project.

Nah I love Uncharted

Top Bottom