• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshida: Wii U will inspire Vita experiments

Elios83

http://www.develop-online.net/news/37930/Yoshida-Wii-U-will-inspire-Vita-experiments

E3 2011: But Sony already has plenty underway, insists president of SCE Worldwide Studios

Speaking to Develop, president of Sony Computer Entertainment’s Worldwide Studios Shuhei Yoshida has revealed he is interested by Nintendo's recently announced Wii U, and said it will likely inspire Vita developers to carry out experiments with the newly named Sony handheld.

"It is very interesting the ways that Nintendo went with Wii U, and I was surprised it wasn't exactly as it had been rumoured," Yoshida told Develop at E3.

"Already people are starting to ask about linking Vita and PS3 to do something similar, in terms of using two screens, and having controls on the screen.

"That's very interesting, and we will have to experiment," he added, before suggesting that such work was already, to a certain extent, underway.

"Lots of the things that developers of Vita games are doing, as you may have seen, is experimenting with connectivities between Vita and PS3.

"The Wipeout [2048] team came up with their cross play ideas, and the other Vita teams have come up with ways of playing with two systems. It's just a matter of time, as we provide the SDKs to developers so they can make use of both PS3 and Vita, and they might come up with something interesting."

Nintendo unveiled its new console, Wii U, at its Press Conference earlier today, the morning following Sony's own event at which it named the system formally known by codename NGP.

Would be crazy if Sony offered Wii U functions through PS3+Vita before Wii U is even released on the market.

Takao

Banned
Like the Wii before it, I have to imagine Sony's a bit happy that the Wii U is what it is. It'll likely mean when they're on PS4, there will still be third party Wii U/PSV games like Wii/PS2/PSP games this generation.

Londa

Banned
No, make up some ideas for yourself.

WTF Sony? All you do is follow Nintendo these days. The only time you lead the industry is when graphics mattered. Now graphics have hit a spot where the lastest graphics are not that important and you don't know what to do with yourself. So you resort to copying. lol

Rapstah

Londa said:

WTF Sony? All you do is follow Nintendo these days. The only time you lead the industry is when graphics mattered. Now graphics have hit a spot where the lastest graphics are not that important and you don't know what to do with yourself. So you resort to copying. lol
I'm sure those libraries were developed and given to developers in under a day now, yeah.

Dragon

Banned
Londa said:

I don't even know what you're trying to say here. Sony doesn't do any more copying than the other two really.

Slime

Banned
Could result in some interesting experiments, but there's no way they could present the same experiences without latency, and it won't matter in the end because you still have to buy two separate and relatively expensive pieces of hardware. It's never going to catch on with developers because they have no assurance that a sizable enough percentage of the population will have both devices for their software to sell.

But yeah, no matter what they do the Vita is incapable of providing the same level of fidelity in streaming functionality, so there's no way these 'experiments' will be all that similar or noteworthy.

Londa said:

Wow son, The PSP currently streams gameplay from the PS3 (Via Custom Firmware). Who is copying who again?

Cute, but that ain't gonna happen.

Needing a Vita and a PS3 for features will be a logistical nightmare 3rd parties will never bother to fuss with.

This will be a nicety 1st party studios will dabble in and nothing more.

Londa said:

Err.

The PS and PS2 were underpowered compared to their competitors, and the PSP, which was a graphical beast, got defeated by it's competitor. The PS3 was the first time a home console from Sony was really focused on winning the hardware race, and it wasn't nearly as successful as previous iterations. I would say that graphics never really mattered (NES, PS, PS2, DS, Wii), but Sony never really led the way.

Londa said:

Sony have been touting this sort of functionality for years (see: GT5 using PSP as a mirror.

Implementation has always been clunky though cause it is not done at a base level like Wii-U

Slime said:
Could result in some interesting experiments, but there's no way they could present the same experiences without latency

It has a decent GPU already, no streaming required. Main problem would be battery life, which is hopefully huge on the Wii U pad.

Londa

Banned
Rapstah said:
I'm sure those libraries were developed and given to developers in under a day now, yeah.

I don't see much Wii U capablities in the titles being shown during E3 on the Vita. Looks to be that Sony is saying they will copy Wii U, once they figure out the different ways Nintendo uses it in their games. In which I say, Sony needs to hire creative devs, and not devs to pump out better graphics..

GTP_Daverytimes said:
Wow son, The PSP currently streams gameplay from the PS3 (Via Custom Firmware). Who is copying who again?

Wii U doesn't just stream games from the TV. There is more going on with the Wii U than what Vita is doing. Vita is a portable handheld that can stream on the TV with the PS3.

Wii U is a console that has a tablet like controller that can stream the game onto the controller. The Wii you controller does different motion, touch, and video controls while playing a game on the TV (yet it looks to do more than even that).

DeaconKnowledge said:

Needing a Vita and a PS3 for features will be a logistical nightmare 3rd parties will never bother to fuss with.

True, but I could imagine a gutted Vita if PS3/PS4 is doing all the processing.

DeaconKnowledge said:

Unless 3rd parties could sell the psv-subgame additionally to the ps3 game.

Caramello

I could see some things coming from Sony in the form of downloadable titles or added game features ala "rear mirrow view" but this will never be successful unless you get the console and handheld in one package as standard like with the Wii U.

I mean really, how many times do we see accessories fail? PS Vita would be a pretty freaking expensive accessory.

Also remember that Nintendo tried this with the GBA and it didn't turn out that well, so for all camps in particular;

- OMG Sony is copying Nintendo!!
- Wii U is obsolete because PS3/Vita already beats it!!

Sony aren't actually going to go anywhere great with this, there is no threat to Nintendo and remember that it's the software that counts at the end of the day.

Takao

Banned
GTP_Daverytimes said:

It can do that via official firmware with Remote Play.

Lando said:

If you gonna troll, might as well troll Nintendo for like totally making a controller that is like totally basically the SEGA DREAMCAST VMU combined with the THQ revolutionary uDraw tablet system (scary coincidence all three share "U" as an important name piece).

Nintendo just catching up to SEGA's ambition bro.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Didn't Sony plan to use the original PSP in this kind of way? I remember seeing it used as a rear-view mirror in a racing game...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I don't think it's possible for the PS3/Vita combo to mimic exactly what the Wii U does. At least not in the same way it does it.

I think the PS3 is unable to display stuff both on the big screen and the PSP/Vita screen simultaneously. In fact, when using the Remote Play functionality, the screen connected to the PS3 displays a message about the Remote Play thing being in progress.

I know there were plans to allow stuff like PSP as a rear mirror in that SCEE F1 game, but it never came out and I suspect something was cut hardware wise that ultimately disabled simultaneous dual video output.

Or maybe not. I'm just speculating.

What Sony can do tho, is use the Vita as a PS3 controller and have it receive game data from the PS3, but all the display stuff has to be done on the Vita itself via an app or something to be installed on the device in advance.

Edit: A PlayStation 4 / Vita combo is more likely to provide what Wii U does.

Raist

Banned
Londa said:

Remote play says hi. As well as displaying an alternate screen on the PSP (was demoed with Ridge Racer or GTHD, can't remember, in 2006), even if no dev ever used that.

edit: ha, was f1 2006
http://uk.ign.com/videos/2006/05/09/f1-championship-edition-ps3-rear-view-mirror?objectid=748480

No one is "copying" anyone.

Good ideas are good ideas. Sony came up with their own motion controller because they saw it could sell. That's how this industry works. Nintendo comes up with a general way of controlling 3D games, everyone else follows. Sony adds an extra stick, everyone follows.

If you're going to get irritated with companies borrowing each others ideas... I'd just quit gaming right now. You'll be pissed any time any game comes out.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Slime said:
Could result in some interesting experiments, but there's no way they could present the same experiences without latency, and it won't matter in the end because you still have to buy two separate and relatively expensive pieces of hardware. It's never going to catch on with developers because they have no assurance that a sizable enough percentage of the population will have both devices for their software to sell.

But yeah, no matter what they do the Vita is incapable of providing the same level of fidelity in streaming functionality, so there's no way these 'experiments' will be all that similar or noteworthy.

Pretty much nailed it.

I think Vita/PS3 crossplay is going to be more akin to GBA/GCN connectivity than what Wii U does. That, and 'transfarring'/cloud saves.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Considering the PS4 or whatever is at least 2 years away, this is not surprising they'd want to see how their new more powerful handheld could interface with the PS3 with the touch screen in mind. A lot of of the 3rd party games for the Wii U are in development with the current batch of consoles in mind. I'd imagine the Wii U Controller features would be tacked on until the Wii U has been on the market for a year or so. Thats all they will do with the Vita I bet just to see if thats the route they want to go controller-wise.

Chinner

Banned
Londa said:

I see what you're doing, bit obvious mind.

If Sony is clever, the functionality would all be on the Vita side. Wireless HDMI or similar tech connecting it to the TV, the Vita outputting video to the TV and gaining an additional interface on the unit.

PS3 should have no part in this

Londa

Banned
I have a pretend japanese name said:
It can do that via official firmware with Remote Play.

If you gonna troll, might as well troll Nintendo for like totally making a controller that is like totally basically the SEGA DREAMCAST VMU combined with the THQ revolutionary uDraw tablet system (scary coincidence all three share "U" as an important name piece).

Nintendo just catching up to SEGA's ambition bro.

rewatch the WiiU trailer because the controller isn't just a Dreamcast copy. lol

uDraw is worse than a wacom tablet, and it is hard for me to believe Nintendo copy that. uDraw has no buttons on it, and it has the Wii mote sitting inside of it. It has no rumble or motion controls outside of the wii mote (created by nintendo) that is sitting inside of it.

Oreoleo

DeaconKnowledge said:

Indeed. There will never be a guaranteed user base of PS3 and PSV owners to bother with features that will require the use of both at the same time. Same reason GBA+GCN gaming never took off, it was too niche. That's the genius of packing the small screen in with the console, really.

Londa said:

Nintendo fans are my favourite.

get2sammyb said:
I'd say I'm more a Nintendo fanboy with eclectic gaming tastes that sometimes veer into the RPG and shooter arena.

Still Nintendo fanboy at heart. Don't act like loving a companies games makes someone daft at the outset.

Londa

Banned
get2sammyb said:

I'm waiting for Sony to stop following behind the competition. I like Sony and Nintendo.

Thunder Monkey said:
I'd say I'm more a Nintendo fanboy with eclectic gaming tastes that sometimes veer into the RPG and shooter arena.

Still Nintendo fanboy at heart. Don't act like loving a companies games makes someone daft at the outset.

Is that a 3DS in your diaper or are you happy to see me? ;P

French

Banned
Londa said:

No.

Chinner

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:

Ahem, why are you eating? Stop copying and get your own ideas!

That is one expensive WiiU replacement if Sony does decide to implement similar functions($299 PS3+$249-299 PSVita) and that isn't taking into account the downgrade in graphics of using a PS3.

Agent X

Londa said:

I don't think it's about "copying". What he's saying is that the concept of using the Wii U's touch screen controller along with the TV could be replicated by using the PS3 and PS Vita together in a similar fashion.

This type of concept has been bandied about for years. A popular example is using the screen on the controller to call plays in a sports game. You could select your play privately, without your opponent being able to see what play you've picked.

Dreamcast did this over a decade ago, by the way.

Londa said:
Is that a 3DS in your diaper or are you happy to see me? ;P
Happy to see you of course.

I don't own a 3DS, still not sure if I should go handheld only or not.

Chinner said:
Ahem, why are you eating? Stop copying and get your own ideas!
Because if I don't eat I'll die. :(

Chinner

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:
Happy to see you of course.

I don't own a 3DS, still not sure if I should go handheld only or not.
Excuse me, are you using words? Stop copying people and make up your own language.

Thunder Monkey said:

Oh I'm not. I'm a Nintendo fan too. I just hate this mentality that some Nintendo fans have where they think their favourite company is the God-almighty inventor of every "innovation" in gaming.

Just, no.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I don't think anything big will come of this, but I guess its good for developers who want to have a more similar experience between the consoles for their games.

Oppo

TTP said:
I don't think it's possible for the PS3/Vita combo to mimic exactly what the Wii U does. At least not in the same way it does it.

I think the PS3 is unable to display stuff both on the big screen and the PSP/Vita screen simultaneously. In fact, when using the Remote Play functionality, the screen connected to the PS3 displays a message about the Remote Play thing being in progress.

I know there were plans to allow stuff like PSP as a rear mirror in that SCEE F1 game, but it never came out and I suspect something was cut hardware wise that ultimately disabled simultaneous dual video output..

As others mentioned, weve already had examples of dual-screen gaming with the Sony stuff. Even if it were an issue in the manner you described, a simple client download to the handheld, included with the main game, from the home console would fix that pretty easily.

This was one of the first things I thought of when I finally grasped the Wii U approach; Sony's Remote Play stuff is fairly mature and it performs pretty well on a WiFi network. The Vita has pretty much every sensor and input method that the Wii U tablet controller does. Could make for some very interesting new directions for games.

I mean... I can't take credit for this, but...

1tkkqt.jpg

... you can't help but notice this.

Anyways, point I wanted to make is, on a technical level, these two setups are remarkable similar. Do we know the rez/spec of the tablet screen on the U controller yet?

(edit - I want to add, this is a good thing for both, they reinforce each other, no one should be unhappy about this if you are a fan of either)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Slime said:

/thread

jett

D-Member
Did everyone forget about that old demo they showed of using the PSP as a car mirror in a F1 game? :lol Nintendo's actually ripping off Sony this time!

Anyway, I actually hope the Vita inspires Nintendo to not be cheap asses and include a multitouch screen in their controller device.

Top Bottom