• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi's Land Wii U Listing up on Future Shop

massoluk

Banned
P0uP3.jpg

If they can nail this Kindergarten crayon doodle look, hell, I'll buy it.

Lyude77

Besides the NSMB series, what Nintendo series right now has as bland an artstyle as the NSMB series? Nintendo has like 4 platformer teams. EAD4 (who makes the NSMB series and wouldn't be working on this because they just got done with NSMBU and 2), HAL which there could be a possibility but they are probably working on a new Kirby game, Good Feel ( a very likely candidate), EAD Tokyo (unless this is a 3d game its not happening), and recently Retro who is probably not with the staff they have.

My point is that people are scared the style would be terrible shouldn't be worried because the only team that would do that isn't going to be making it.

No one should be scared about the art style, just the quality of the game. I would have more faith if EAD4 was making it.

Even better, because the WiiU is a fat DS we will get a sequel to this:

KHNNY.jpg

Sounds good to me. I had more fun with Touch & Go than with YIDS.

Cactus

Banned
As far as I'm aware, Future Shop doesn't add new games to their database based on rumors. IIRC, they have also (along with other Canadian retailers such as amazon.ca, and VGP) accidentally leaked information for unannounced games in the past.

I'm not saying this is 100% real, but I wouldn't be too quick to assume the guy who put up the pages was reading GAF or something like that.

You illustrate your point using an example from Nintendo's most talented developer, whom is most likely working on something else completely. They are the exception to the rule. Wario Land Shake It and Kirby Epic Yarn looked so good but were oh-so boring.

I'm afraid you have made an enemy.

Always preferred the games where you simply ride Yoshi, but that art style in HD would be absolutely superb. Correctly integrated gamepad controls for throwing eggs would be amazing too.

YIDS wasn't that bad, it was better than NSMB imho, the music was strange and I really liked it. Take YIDS like a "Mario Land"...

ASIS

So basically we "could" be seeing this as the 2013 line up for Wii U so far:
Pikmin 3
Wonderful 101
Rayman Legends
Bayonetta
Yoshi's Land Wii U

This is a very rough estimation, and it badly needs 3rd party multiplat support. But Honestly? Its shaping up to be quite solid if I do say so myself.

Davey Cakes

You illustrate your point using an example from Nintendo's most talented developer, whom is most likely working on something else completely. They are the exception to the rule. Wario Land Shake It and Kirby Epic Yarn looked so good but were oh-so boring.
Wario Land and Epic Yarn were not traditional platformers. They were focused more on exploration.

I agree that something was missing from Wario Land. I liked the game but the design doesn't lend itself well to getting 100%. At some point you DO just get bored.

But Epic Yarn was a game that looked great and was actually really satisfying to get 100% in. Collecting everything and beating every level was a solid challenge. If you just played to beat the main game then I do believe you'd be bored to tears, but in my opinion the game shines when you go for full completion.

In any case, these games were designed to be a certain way. Kirby especially was still supposed to be a Kirby game that's playable for someone of any age, so it was designed to be easy (to the point of not being able to die), which made it boring at times for players who want to have more compelling gameplay objectives. That doesn't mean there couldn't exist a game that uses a similarly-inspired art style and is also more akin to Nintendo's deeper and more challenging platformers.

Good Feel's previous games weren't failed attempts at NSMB/DKCR-type platformers. They were going for something different. With the right direction, anything can be achieved.

I would be completely cool with a sequel to Yoshi's Island. I even enjoyed YIDS.

However if this were the equivalent of Mario Galaxy 3, just with Yoshi and his assorted gimmicks I think I'd jizz everywhere.

i'm pretty sure this would be lightning returns, no?

Nah It specifically said Final Fantasy 3. Plus this makes the most sense since square has been whoring out the FF3 ds remake recently. It just released on Ios, PSP, and will get an ouya release next year. Would make a good eshop title though IMO

Nah It specifically said Final Fantasy 3. Plus this makes the most sense since square has been whoring out the FF3 ds remake recently. It just released on Ios, PSP, and will get an ouya release next year. Would make a good eshop title though IMO

Ehh I wouldn't buy it again. Outside the class system it's pretty much Generic RPG 101.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Watch it be real, and it be Retro's game.

leroidys

So basically we "could" be seeing this as the 2013 line up for Wii U so far:
Pikmin 3
Wonderful 101
Rayman Legends
Bayonetta
Yoshi's Land Wii U

This is a very rough estimation, and it badly needs 3rd party multiplat support. But Honestly? Its shaping up to be quite solid if I do say so myself.

Wonderful 101 is a good start, but throw in another new IP or two and we have a stew.

As for the Yoshi Land news, my first reaction is HYPE, but then I remember these games:

Other than the first game, there has never been a Yoshi title better than "good". If we find out that rare or EAD is developing this one, then I'll board the hypetrain.

Wonderful 101 is a good start, but throw in another new IP or two and we have a stew.

As for the Yoshi Land news, my first reaction is HYPE, but then I remember these games:

Other than the first game, there has never been a Yoshi title better than "good". If we find out that rare or EAD is developing this one, then I'll board the hypetrain.

Where were you in 2002?

If rare is developing a new nintendo game that's bigger news than it being a yoshi game i think

It's not like that's the only game they can make for the WiiU. DKCR was arguably their most popular, best-selling game, so more games in that vein can always be good.

Nintendo is choke full of studios that can make excellent 2D sidescrollers. Retro is, to this date anyway, the only studio they have that has proved itself more than capable of putting out a truly "core" experience. I want more of those.

Darryl

Banned

well lightning returns is also a final fantasy III. most of the titles in that list look like they'd be major releases, not mobile ports.

But Epic Yarn was a game that looked great and was actually really satisfying to get 100% in. Collecting everything and beating every level was a solid challenge. If you just played to beat the main game then I do believe you'd be bored to tears, but in my opinion the game shines when you go for full completion.

it really was a solid game if you were in the key audience. i don't see anything about that title that says they couldn't make a solid challenging 2D platformer. yoshi seems like an almost perfect fit for them now. they've even got the shape changing from yoshi's island down.

?oe?oe

Hey, Yoshi Touch & Go was great, but like someone else said, it just lacked content.

It's a shame Yoshi's Island DS lacked soul. Probably the most disappointing sequel in years. It wasn't a bad game, it just didn't feel right.

What a waste.

Will never understand this mindset.

It's likely not going to be their game but just like Donkey Kong Country Returns, it wouldn't be a waste to me.

I'd rather them do their own IP or another Metroid though.

Nintendo kind of has an abundance of really colorful platformers on the new system now and in the near future.

randomkid

Soul Hackers is where the list all falls apart for me, personally.

That being on the Wii U makes negative sense.

Soul Hackers is where the list gains currency for me! Feels too random to include unless it was actually happening, since no one cares enough about that game to list it.

I don't expect it to come on Wii U though, I was thinking this is just a mock up of general Nintendo announcements. Like, FF3 is something I also expect to go up on the 3DS Eshop.

Hiltz

Is it possible they will announce this on the VGAs?

VGAs showing Nintendo some love? That would be the day! Anyway, I'm not so sure if Retro wants to try its hand again at the platformer genre. The team did an excellent job with DK Country, but admitted it was more of a challenge than they thought it would be. Of course, they were the ones who initially asked Nintendo to give them the opportunity to do it.

Top Bottom