• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi's Land Wii U Listing up on Future Shop

BY2K

Membero Americo
VGA showing Nintendo some love? That would be the day. Anyway, I'm not so sure if Retro wants to try its hand again at the platformer genre. The team did an excellent job with DK Country, but admitted it was more of a challenge than they thought it would be. Of course, they were the ones who initially asked Nintendo to give them the opportunity to do it.

SpikeTV/GameTrailers did get the exclusive reveal for The Wonderful 101.

Sandfox

I'm not going to get my hopes up but I haven't played a Yoshi game in a long time and would love to try another one.

So we agree.

Yeah, kind of.

I mean, EAD Tokyo is probably doing a 3D Mario so I'd rather have variety and it be a more "edgy"(I hate using words like that) title to mix it all up, especially since there's been a lot of effort and time put into it.

With that said, I envisioned E3 hitting and Retro's game being Donkey Kong Country Returns 2 and many people being completely let down but because it's Retro and I like games like that, I'd find the positive.

Now if they made a game like Tetris, I'd consider it a waste:p

Oersted

Watch it be real, and it be Retro's game.

Have in mind:

Hey thanks man the rock formation is one solid piece, however! In my interview they said that they would have preferred that the rock formation be constructed out of smaller pieces that could be reused in other ways. As it is constructed now the rock piece can only be used in this once scene.

Also I only stayed with ND for 9 months I work for Nintendo now. ND was not all it's cracked up to be. But I still think they do amazing work.

Thanks man! There were lot of reasons I left. They have a weird system of management at ND that I didn't gel with. Also I wasn't crazy about working on realistic games. I also left because I got an offer to be a Lead at Square Enix. Unfortunately soon after I started they canceled our project and laid our team off. I'm at Retro now, Retro is a much better fit for me. Hell who hasn't grown up playing Nintendo games. Now I get to work on them.

I work at ND for 9 months ( as an environment artist) and left basically because I found I did not enjoy working on realistic projects. As you can see from my work I favor stylized stuff. Also the studio culture at ND favor lots and lots of crunch. Definitely not conducive to family and married life. It's not terrible at all, but just not for everyone. As for characters, man at ND you have to be first class. Take a look at the work of Hanno Hagedorn to see how good you need to be.

Also this:

• Creating high quality hand painted 2D texture maps

Retro job offer

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
well, good if this turns out to be true, I still remember some Italian shop putting out Donkey Kong 3DS retail listings, with a not so bad boxart to boot

Hiltz

SpikeTV/GameTrailers did get the exclusive reveal for The Wonderful 101.

You're right. That was true much to our disappointment. I mean, people would have rather seen that game revealed at the actual E3 conference. It's just that as far as the actual VGAs goe, it has historically been anti-Japanese friendly. Of course, this is a commercialized western gaming event hosted by annoying celebrities appealing largely to fellow dudebro gamers. It's understandable why they generally don't give two shits about acknowledging - let alone awarding - Japanese-developed games in general. These guys even had an award category based on Mountain Dew for god sake.

Meelow

Banned
You're right. That was true much to our disappointment. I mean, people would have rather seen that game revealed at the actual E3 conference. It's just that as far as the actual VGAs , it has historically been anti-Nintendo. OF course, this is a commercialized western gaming event hosted by annoying celebrities appealing largely to fellow dudebro gamers. It's understandable why they don't give two-shits about acknowledging - let alone awarding - Japanese-developed games in general. These guys even had an award category based on Mountain Dew for god sake!

They did get Miyamoto last year and put Zelda in the hall of fame.

You're right. That was true much to our disappointment. I mean, people would have rather seen that game revealed at the actual E3 conference. It's just that as far as the actual VGAs , it has historically been anti-Japanese friendly. Of course, this is a commercialized western gaming event hosted by annoying celebrities appealing largely to fellow dudebro gamers. It's understandable why they don't give two-shits about acknowledging - let alone awarding - Japanese-developed games in general. These guys even had an award category based on Mountain Dew for god sake.

Yes, I don't see Nintendo ever giving them any kind of announcement for this event, it doesn't make sense for any side. The W101 reveal was still at E3, so...

Instro

Well this has been rumored for ages, as a GoodFeel game, I can hardly be surprised that its real at this point.

It's kind of weird though, does the WiiU really need yet another 2D platformer right now? I would love to see it, but we have little else announced for next year it would be a bit strange with Mario and Rayman already leading the charge on that front. Particularly if the announcement is forthcoming.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Is this sequel to the legendary thread on 11/18?

mujun

Nope beautiful yoshi mmo mix and make your own colored yoshi and venture out into the yoshi land with other players on miiverse.

:lol

I'm getting a Wii U and the only thing I want for it is Zombi U.

Sorry for hoping that something I personally find interesting is announced.

Have in mind:
/list of quotes and such

Well, that does it.

uOdk5.png

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Would GoodFeel be capable of making a more challenging, big kid platformer? Kirby Epic Yard was too easy, and I haven't played Shake Dimension.

I still hope it's Retro.

Have in mind:

Also this:

Retro job offer

In my mind, that is evidence of Retro's sequel to Donkey Kong Country Returns (being worked on by their second team).

Yoshi's Land is being developed by Good-Feel.

I hope.

p.s. I'm also imagining the Yoshi's Land logo having some sort of overlapping or doubling of the letters 'i' and 's', (Yoshi's Land) both as an homage to Yoshi's Island and a hint at its intertwining gameplay based on time travel between past and present (and possibly future) versions of Dinosaur Land.

Yeah.

Would GoodFeel be capable of making a more challenging, big kid platformer? Kirby Epic Yard was too easy, and I haven't played Shake Dimension.

Well, not if it's a Yoshi game? Even Yoshis Island is ridiculously easy.
Though that doesn't change that Epic Yarn was still incredible.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Well, not if it's a Yoshi game? Even Yoshis Island is ridiculously easy.
Though that doesn't change that Epic Yarn was still incredible.
Yoshi's Island is way harder than just about any Kirby game. And that's fine. I just wonder if GoodFeel would be up to the task of making a different style platformer. I don't know much about their work.

Thraktor

Have in mind:

The Metroid series is fairly stylised, certainly compared to something like Uncharted. All it tells us is that they're probably not working on anything with a highly realistic graphical focus, which most people would have expected anyway.

I'm pretty sure "hand painted" is basically just a term for "not photographs" here. I also wouldn't read to much into that posting, unless you also think the project's coming to the Gamecube.

I would too, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed it wasn't something that was graphically impressive with a more serious art style. Either way, Yoshi's Island will be gorgeous if it really does hit the Wii U.

A crayon-shaded Yoshi's Island on the Wii U by Retro could be graphically impressive as fuck, although not in the same way as something like Uncharted.

Fake edit: This prospect of a Retro-developed Yoshi's Island is really bringing the four letter words from me today. Maybe it's some sort of repressed desire from those dark days when swearing wasn't allowed on gaf.

While I am excited about this, not sure if I really want two 2d mario platormers this soon after launch.

I'm hoping for a 3d game!

At this point, I'd take 3D over 2D for pretty much any of Nintendos platforming series. Wii was 2D overload, even though mostly excellent but simply too much. Doesn't help that Rayman also went back to 2D now, ugh.

Have in mind:

Of the quotes (from here btw folks: http://vonkoz.deviantart.com/art/Art-Test-197163247)

Does anyone know anything about this:
Thanks man! There were lot of reasons I left. They have a weird system of management at ND that I didn't gel with. Also I wasn't crazy about working on realistic games. I also left because I got an offer to be a Lead at Square Enix. Unfortunately soon after I started they canceled our project and laid our team off. I'm at Retro now, Retro is a much better fit for me. Hell who hasn't grown up playing Nintendo games. Now I get to work on them.

I still hope it's Retro.

Watch vids of it on YouTube. Epic Yarn compared to Shake It/Dimension is like comparing Nintendogs to, uh, Seaman.

It isn't cute, nor overly easy, nor calming and soothing.

(I recommend the game, btw. I don't even like the Wario series, but liked that game.)

mujun

At this point, I'd take 3D over 2D for pretty much any of Nintendos platforming series. Wii was 2D overload, even though mostly excellent but simply too much. Doesn't help that Rayman also went back to 2D now, ugh.

Same here. Except Donkey Kong Country. The Wii game looks really cool.

Oersted

The Metroid series is fairly stylised, certainly compared to something like Uncharted. All it tells us is that they're probably not working on anything with a highly realistic graphical focus, which most people would have expected anyway.

I'm pretty sure "hand painted" is basically just a term for "not photographs" here. I also wouldn't read to much into that posting, unless you also think the project's coming to the Gamecube.

A crayon-shaded Yoshi's Island on the Wii U by Retro could be graphically impressive as fuck, although not in the same way as something like Uncharted.

Fake edit: This prospect of a Retro-developed Yoshi's Island is really bringing the four letter words from me today. Maybe it's some sort of repressed desire from those dark days when swearing wasn't allowed on gaf.

Don´t be that guy. Of course, it doesn´t have to relate to the Yoshi Island, but it can and makes sense. End of story.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Epic Yarn was way harder than Kirby's Return to Dreamland if you were attempting to Gold Medal the levels.

The later levels are basically one hit, BAM, you're out of the running.

oatmeal

Banned
It's going to be another side scroller not giving any indication of the Wii's power.

I'm sure it'll be a fine game, but it's not what the system needs right now.

zroid

Banned
Epic Yarn haters are the worst kind of people

It's going to be another side scroller not giving any indication of the Wii's power.

I'm sure it'll be a fine game, but it's not what the system needs right now.

I don't think "power" has the same sexy appeal it once did

oatmeal

Banned
Epic Yarn haters are the worst kind of people

I don't think "power" has the same sexy appeal it once did

When the system has come out and people are doubting that it can even handle ports from systems that released 6-7 years ago...I think it's a valid concern.

I have no doubts that Nintendo will do some amazing looking things on it...it'd be nice to get a glimpse of what those things are.

I like to imagine that the reason they didn't do a Wave Race/1080/Excite Bike (Truck doesn't count) et al on the Wii was because there was no real power jump and they were waiting to really show off the tech on a new HD system.

But I'm wrong a lot.

Trailer will go alittle something like this...

Starts with footage of classic Yoshi's island then suddenly we hear "BAH, BAH," and the screen does a transition and we see Yoshi's island in new super Mario bros style graphics.

zroid

Banned
Whether or not Wii U gets decent ports of 360 and PS3 games (or their successors) was never going to determine its ultimate success, IMO.

oatmeal

Banned
Whether or not Wii U gets decent ports of 360 and PS3 games (or their successors) was never going to determine its ultimate success, IMO.

Sure, but the Wii was so successful based on its ability to be played by everyone. Its success was predicated on people who don't normally play buying one. I don't see the Wii U being the same.

Top Bottom