• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You are stronger than you think you are." a.k.a GOAT comic book panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicanica

Why? Because Superman has never been about the man's powers. At least the classics. It's about the alien, being the most human of all.

cry.gif

"The Gospel according to Lex Luthor" is also among my favorite interpretations of Lex. There is this amazing capable man, who is so self centered that he can't see Superman standing in front of him and saving him from all the chaos and madness around him.

My favorite scenes are the "touch this, THIS takes hard work" as he asks Clark to touch his biceps, and the whole painting his own eyebrow!

Dalek

"The Gospel according to Lex Luthor" is also among my favorite interpretations of Lex. There is this amazing capable man, who is so self centered that he can't see Superman standing in front of him and saving him from all the chaos and madness around him.

My favorite scenes are the "touch this, THIS takes hard work" as he asks Clark to touch his biceps, and the whole painting his own eyebrow!

Brilliant issue-shows the genius of Quitely and Morrison as a team.

tkscz

Where is that panel where Superman's Earth Dad dies and he's flying to him saying "I can save him! I can save everyone!"

Edit: Oh, thanks adamsappel

Dalek

Almost.

I don't even really like Superman (nor Quietly) and this page makes me weep like a child.

This too, like the original Donner movie captures the essence of Superman for me. He's nearly all powerful, but his father's death humbles him and he's made to realize that for all his power he's not "All-Powerful".

I mean, what happened in it? What is the narrative context you are referring to? What was superman's stance on the issue that this panel resolved?

The issue is about the last will and testament of Superman. Superman is wasting away throughout the comic, desperately trying to tie up the loose ends of his life, what he'll leave behind. The issue reflects this in subtle ways, like Superman flying over the decaying pyramids, the kandorian scientist saying he found a gray hair, Superman finding a time capsule he can't look into, and Superman watching the skin cells fall off Lois' face as he laments that they can never have a child.

But even with such a gloomy setup, the prevailing message of the comic is that we as human beings have the strength to carry on. That's what Superman is telling Regan, that she has the strength to carry on. After Superman saves her, the issue shifts to show dr quintum solving the Kandor issue and getting the keys to Supes' genome, and then Supeman cures some children's cancer.

You can say "superman did this because he's good", but in the background of the issue, Supes has created a miniature solar system, which culminates in a page showing humans from that planet creating Superman, reminding us that he is a character created by human beings. We, as humans, can always keep going.

It's why Lex Luthor's assertion that he stunts human growth is wrong.

Tcab96

Seeing such heartwarming stuff like this really confuses me as to why Lex hates Superman so much that he wants to kill him. Does he not see that good Superman can do?

Short of Superman doing something really henious, which I don't think he'd do, I think I'd find Lex's motivations for wanting Superman to die as really shitty.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I heartily endorse this thread. Great shout, OP.

Quitely's Clark Kent in motion is incredible. The prison issue? The Zibarro issue? Goddamn.

Easily the best version of Clark Kent ever.

The issue is about the last will and testament of Superman. Superman is wasting away throughout the comic, desperately trying to tie up the loose ends of his life, what he'll leave behind. The issue reflects this in subtle ways, like Superman flying over the decaying pyramids, the kandorian scientist saying he found a gray hair, Superman finding a time capsule he can't look into, and Superman watching the skin cells fall off Lois' face as he laments that they can never have a child.

But even with such a gloomy setup, the prevailing message of the comic is that we as human beings have the strength to carry on. That's what Superman is telling Regan, that she has the strength to carry on. After Superman saves her, the issue shifts to show dr quintum solving the Kandor issue and getting the keys to Supes' genome, and then Supeman cures some children's cancer.

You can say "superman did this because he's good", but in the background of the issue, Supes has created a miniature solar system, which culminates in a page showing humans from that planet creating Superman, reminding us that he is a character created by human beings. We, as humans, can always keep going.

It's why Lex Luthor's assertion that he stunts human growth is wrong.

You are a beautiful human being.

Its funny because essentially, Batman and Punisher never got out of puberty: They're forever depressive emo dweebs who were hurt by the world and thus shut themselves from it, lashing out at those they deem responsible for their pain and never moving on.

Superman, in contrast, is an adult who sees the world for what it is but not only accepts it by does tries his hardest to change it for the better.
Batman is an emo dweeb? Huh? You've been reading too much Miller.

Kyosaiga

Banned
Seeing such heartwarming stuff like this really confuses me as to why Lex hates Superman so much that he wants to kill him. Does he not see that good Superman can do?

CWzwymXVAAAgMJO.jpg

Replace "our" with "My" and you have his reasoning down to a Tee. Luthor, if you remember, came from NOTHING. He worked hard for his success and he rose to the top as the most powerful man in Metropolis and one of the richest men in the world period, and Superman shows up, and no matter what Luthor does, his accomplishments will be for nothing in comparison to Superman.

This page is just perfect.

CWzwymXVAAAgMJO.jpg

Replace "our" with "My" and you have his reasoning down to a Tee. Luthor, if you remember, came from NOTHING. He worked hard for his success and he rose to the top as the most powerful man in Metropolis and one of the richest men in the world period, and Superman shows up, and no matter what Luthor does, his accomplishments will be for nothing in comparison to Superman.

The bit at the end of that conversation when he says
"you're wrong... I can see your soul."

lAgZ9RS.gif

Oooh totally agree OP. When people ask me why I like Superman, that's basically the first thing that comes to mind. I love it!

Almost.
I don't even really like Superman (nor Quietly) and this page makes me weep like a child.
Nah, this is just alright. The whole Chronovore thing is memorable but not one of the best in All-Star Superman.

Short of Superman doing something really henious, which I don't think he'd do, I think I'd find Lex's motivations for wanting Superman to die as really shitty.

I will accept no other canon except that Superboy made Lex go bald.

odntJAf.jpg

Batman is an emo dweeb? Huh? You've been reading too much Miller.

"Emo dweeb" is harsh, but the most popular depictions of batman and punisher (far more the latter) are characters in a state of arrested development. Bruce Wayne and Frank Castle essentially died in their respective origin stories.

.JayZii

Banned
CWzwymXVAAAgMJO.jpg

"But I when I see you?"

Leunam

CWzwymXVAAAgMJO.jpg

This is my favorite portrayal of Lex. The book also shows that Lex, in his own way, really wants to push humanity forward, and is generally a charitable and charming person. He elevates others to his level when he talks to them.

But his deep, deep fear of Superman limiting the potential of mankind by virtue of simply existing drives Lex to be an utterly horrible person as he tries everything to be rid of him.

Well there was a panel early in the issue of a doctor trying to reach her in a nearly derailed train but it's easy to miss.
Yeah, and meanwhile Superman's doing like crazy robot shit right? It's just really really nice. Man, Superman's the coolest.

Maybe we'll get a good Superman movie in 10 years.

I don't read comics but I like the fact that comics make more people care about composition, and rhetoric between words and images. I think fanatic comic book readers often have a subconscious understanding (even if they can't explain it) of framing in a way that makes sense.

Tizoc

No because both the Story and Artwork are incredible in All Star Superman, despite what some posters would tell you.

Quitely's Clark Kent in motion is incredible. The prison issue? The Zibarro issue? Goddamn.

Ah the prison issue
baboon.png

Seriously All-Star Supes excels in that each PAGE
EACH PAGE
could be taken for its own nd it tells you more than what 10 pages of other comics waste their time in doing.

Its funny because essentially, Batman and Punisher never got out of puberty: They're forever depressive emo dweebs who were hurt by the world and thus shut themselves from it, lashing out at those they deem responsible for their pain and never moving on.

Superman, in contrast, is an adult who sees the world for what it is but not only accepts it by does tries his hardest to change it for the better.

This. To me at least, what differentiates (or should differentiate) Superman so much that he's probably one of the most 'mature' characters in comics in that he himself is meant to be (or otherwise is best as) a mature individual, rather than the content of his books being 'mature'. He's a man who became Superman after coming to terms with who he is, and deciding he would use what makes him different to do what he could for the world.

As someone on the autistic spectrum, that resonated so damn hard once I made the connection. And then there's scenes like what OP posted, that just feel so right for the guy. Yes, its exceptional, but that's not so bad, is it?

Is it weird that im watching Lois and Clark for the first time and 4 episodes in he is my favorite version of Superman I can think of off the top of my head?

Rooster12

This panel. This panel right here, sums up not only why All-Star Superman will almost assuredly forever be the greatest Superman story ever told, but one of the greatest stories told period.

Pretty sure there are tons of panels like that in Superman comics.

All Star Superman is my favorite comic. I wish so much that was the kind of Supes they went for with Man of Steel like the original trailer seemed to imply...

All Star Superman is my favorite comic. I wish so much that was the kind of Supes they went for with Man of Steel like the original trailer seemed to imply...
Instead they just lifted arguably the most pretentious part of the entire book and left everything else on the cutting room floor. But hey! Lex is back!

CWzwymXVAAAgMJO.jpg

post the soul comment.

i legit felt luthor's fear when i saw that page.

Is it weird that im watching Lois and Clark for the first time and 4 episodes in he is my favorite version of Superman I can think of off the top of my head?

I actually had a similar effect, since I watched it for the first time this year as well.

Certainly, of the live action adaptations, its quickly become one of my favourite, just because of how... relaxed he is, though I'm still early in. But also being open with his parents about how he feels, that he's well read and well travelled, just... a nice guy who appreciates the world.

Pharaun

Man of Steel was heading in the right direction at the start, but everything went off the rails in the scene where he let Jonathan die in the tornado. I refuse to believe that Clark would have let that happen even with his dad telling him No.

"Emo dweeb" is harsh, but the most popular depictions of batman and punisher (far more the latter) are characters in a state of arrested development. Bruce Wayne and Frank Castle essentially died in their respective origin stories.

Broken people are far more relatable than Superman will ever be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom