• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can now buy PS4 controllers

Yup Directinput games work!

j2Cvs4lPr7tV9.jpg
fuuuuuuu going tomorrow morning, don't disappoint me Montreal

So for anyone who's tried it on PS3 games, does Start and Select work? I'm guessing that Options would be equal to Start but what's Select? Is it maybe Share or clicking the touchpad?

IconGrist

So for anyone who's tried it on PS3 games, does Start and Select work? I'm guessing that Options would be equal to Start but what's Select? Is it maybe Share or clicking the touchpad?

Share and Options work just fine as Start and Select in Injustice. Just tried it out. PS button does nothing so I had to use the DS3 to quit the game.

PTG

The share and option buttons function as start and select.

I_Am_CC

Picked one up from Gamestop a few hours ago. Played some Black Ops II and while I think I still like L1/R1 for ADS and firing, the new triggers are gonna feel great for racing games.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just picked one up at my local gamestop. It doesn't come with a usb cable so I'm about to run out to Fry's or bestbuy to pick one up. I plan on using this for my pc :)

Yup... Ran to a few locally and they were just for preorders. The closest one that claims to have some in stock said they only had enough for preorders also. So now I am sad :(.

plasmasd

Bought mine at the Gamestop in Sunnyvale. First thing they asked is if I worked for Nvidia. Apparently, guys from there have been buying em up.

tumblr_mv75wq5v7j1rpheq2o1_500.jpg

So I went to my gamestop(Best Coast, San Diego) and the guy said that they had just received their shipment today. I posted this photo on my facebook page and a friend of mine who lives in Boston and also works at Gamestop told me that they'll be getting their shipments and demo kiosks "very soon." Hopefully all you east coast gaffers won't have to wait too long.

I've held the controller and just like everyone has been saying, it's simply an all around improvement on the DS3. The d-pad is even better than before, IMO it is the best PERIOD. The sticks feel great, non-slippery as stated, and the light texture on the back isn't the most amazing thing ever, but it does its purpose. The actual shape of the handles feels perfect to my hands, but that will obviously vary for people. Shoulder buttons are better than ever and the triggers finally feel good. The track pad is very easy to click, despite looking difficult to push(I was pretty surprised).

But the option and share button...they're pretty small in comparison to everything else, and they're pretty damn hard to click to be honest. Maybe it's just me, or I'm just not use to it, but they're harder to click than any of the other buttons. Both a blessing and curse in that you won't accidentally pause the game, but if you want pause it immediately...well good luck. Overall though, an amazing controller and I wouldn't be surprised if it goes down as THE best controller of all time. But maybe that's just the hype talking.

Going to finally test it in action with Black Ops II (doesn't work on GTA V :(), so here we go!

tensuke

Was it you who was playing the AoTTG with a controller? Any luck using the DS4 on that? It probably needs XInput though...

tumblr_mv75wq5v7j1rpheq2o1_500.jpg

So I went to my gamestop(Best Coast, San Diego) and the guy said that they had just received their shipment today. I posted this photo on my facebook page and a friend of mine who lives in Boston and also works at Gamestop told me that they'll be getting their shipments and demo kiosks "very soon." Hopefully all you east coast gaffers won't have to wait too long.

I've held the controller and just like everyone has been saying, it's simply an all around improvement on the DS3. The d-pad is even better than before, IMO it is the best PERIOD. The sticks feel great, non-slippery as stated, and the light texture on the back isn't the most amazing thing ever, but it does its purpose. The actual shape of the handles feels perfect to my hands, but that will obviously vary for people. Shoulder buttons are better than ever and the triggers finally feel good. The track pad is very easy to click, despite looking difficult to push(I was pretty surprised).

But the option and share button...they're pretty small in comparison to everything else, and they're pretty damn hard to click to be honest. Maybe it's just me, or I'm just not use to it, but they're harder to click than any of the other buttons. Both a blessing and curse in that you won't accidentally pause the game, but if you want pause it immediately...well good luck. Overall though, an amazing controller and I wouldn't be surprised if it goes down as THE best controller of all time. But maybe that's just the hype talking.

Going to finally test it in action with Black Ops II (doesn't work on GTA V :(), so here we go!
Seems like if they were hard to click then good. You dont want to accidently hit that share button.

teiresias

dammit will somebody try it on the pc and report back?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLD-dVHErzw

looks like somebody already did.

Geez, this guy has no idea what the difference is between DirectInput and Xinput. I REALLY wish PC game developers would go back to DirectInput support, it's so annoying that Xinput has such a a stranglehold.

It's even more annoying that Steam Big Picture basically just properly supports Xinput, especially given Valve and their stance on Linux, etc.

Eh? I think I'll just wait till it launches to see if there's a sale on it when all the games are likely to be discounted and maybe accessories too. No sense in picking it up now so it'll sit unused for 3 weeks and been paid at full price.

careksims

Yup the GS at Plaza Bonita in San Diego has them in! I saw them above the Playstation display. They are definitely gearing up for the launch. Just asked and bought! Very awesome.

tensuke

When I get off work I'm going to make some settings for that with Joy2pad or whatever its called.

Awesome! :D Thanks for the thread, I'm tempted to go out this weekend and buy one, and I don't even have any need for a second controller...

xJavonta

Banned
GOT MINE!!!

Feels amazing. I say this as someone who loves the Wii U Pro controller, x360 controller and despises the DS3. Check my post history if you don't believe me

Doesn't work in GTA V, about to try BF3 and TLOU in a second

Rootbeer

Banned
Just called my gamestop, they said they have so many PS4 controllers in stock today they could build a wall out of them. They also got a playable PS4 kiosk with Knack etc. Going there NOW!

downtown Berkeley, CA

Darobga

Hi Guys,

Got my controller working wireless via Bluetooth on my PC.

To put the unit in pairing mode you hold Share button (first) + PS button, the unit will start double blinking white LED.

You should then be able to find it under "Add BT Devices".

All buttons function and can be mapped however you want.

Triggers are also still analog (not sure that was known).

Oh goddamnit, see what you're making me do? :) I'm already down $300 this week on tech purchases...

Hah, the way I see it is that there is only a new controller out every 5-7 years. So when new systems come out, if I'm not buying the system itself, I get to at least enjoy a new pc controller. I can afford 60 or 120 whatever bucks every half decade.

Top Bottom