• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You guys ready? I'm insane and made a 1 year anniversary thread for HELLBOY 2! ZOMG!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread created. I know there's already a thread floating around for it, but this is about the one year anniversary. Can you guys believe it's been so long already?

One year ago tomorrow one of the most gifted directors of our time gifted us with the 2008's most imaginative, most visually stunning, and most creative movie.

Tomorrow is the one year anniversary of the release of Guillermo del Toro's Hellboy 2: The Golden Army

amur8g.jpg
fokh07.jpg
25spy8m.jpg
14j20z5.jpg
15ey0ic.jpg

The sequel to 2004's cult hit, Hellboy 2: The Golden Army chronicles the continued adventure of the demon superhero, Hellboy played by actor Ron Pearlman. In this sequel an evil elf breaks an ancient pact between humans and creatures, as he declares war against humanity. He is on a mission to release The Golden Army, a deadly group of fighting machines that can destroy the human race. As Hell on Earth is ready to erupt, Hellboy and his crew set out to defeat the evil prince before The Golden Army can destroy humanity's.

2nl4r4n.jpg

This movie can be described as a visual delight. Every single shot in this movie can be considered art. From the amazing shots of tooth fairies attacking the BPRD agents to the stunning Troll Market sequence, each and every moment in this movie is carefully crafted by the visionary director Guillermo del Toro.

Hellboy 2 is considered a much larger critical and commercial success than it's predecessor.

It received a score of 87% on the Tomatometer.
Some notable review blurbs:

Andrew L. Urban said:
a spectacularly vibrant, varied, detailed, freakish, magical, surreal and exciting universe for this sequel to Hellboy (2004)

David Edwards said:
Playful, offbeat and with a decidedly droll sense of humour, Hellboy II’s a richly rewarding superhero film with moments of gleeful comedy that films like Get Smart can but dream of.

David Stratton said:
Not only are the creatures amazingly conceived, but there’s a lovely sense of humour to it all as Del Toro references horror movies of the past and even the work of John Landis.

Walter Chaw said:
The film itself is lovely, a breathless feast of fantasy anchored by an authentic humanism.

Roger Ebert said:
[del Toro] has an endlessly inventive imagination, and understands how legends work, why they entertain us and that they sometimes stand for something. For love, for example.

33m39lf.jpg

Del Toro's masterpiece was also a much bigger financial success than the original as well.
Worldwide, it grossed a total of $160,328,789. $53 million more than it's original.

This coupled with the great reviews makes this movie a grand slam success for Del Toro.

Anyone remember the release? Seeing Hellboy 2 on opening weekend was an experience. It wasn't just another night at the movies...it was a once in a lifetime thing you'll remember forever like seeing the birth of your first child, the day Diablo III comes out, losing your virginity, etc. I'm dead serious. I honestly don't think this film will be topped for years and years to come.

It can't be stressed enough how visually stunning this movie is. Just some examples of this:

2ef1dnl.jpg

20sc9i8.jpg

16achox.jpg

2j1uceo.jpg

2h64w2o.jpg

dwf3u9.jpg

And that's not even showing the amazing Troll Market sequences.

It's truly mind-blowing that this movie was created on a budget of 85mil. Especially when you see movies like Wolverine with shit direction and effects for it's bloated budget.

So let's all come together and appreciate the biggest and best movie of 2008. Lets all celebrate it's one year anniversary!

Who's with me!?

I am.

Really liked the first one, but this one wasn't too bad. I was pretty miffed that they didn't bring back everyone's favorite Nazi, Kroenen. They could've even made him speak.

Salazar

I just want Del Toro's screenplay for a remake of Roald Dahl's 'The Witches' to get made. The first film is excellent, but he would knock that out of the park.

Solo

I actually saw this for the first time a week or so ago. Didnt especially care for the first, and cared for this one even less. Outside of PL, I cant say Im a huge fan of Del Toro.

KingGondo

Banned
Hellboy 2 was a good movie, but TDK was WAAAAAAAAAY bigger.

Does Natalie have a cameo in this that I don't know about?

I thought the plot was weaker than the first but I love the visuals of this one alot more.

I like the Ougdru Jahad plot more than the elfin mythology/Golden Army one. The best creature design for me was the Angel of Death because of his ties to the end of the world plotline.

Loved the ending when Liz was doing the two with her fingers, quite iconic imo.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
fistfulofmetal said:
It's truly mind-blowing that this movie was created on a budget of 85mil. Especially when you see movies like Wolverine with shit direction and effects for it's bloated budget

that is impressive.

It was a great movie, lots of fun, and I loved the details, but I couldn't help but be disappointed that the bad guy was really just one dude (along with Mr. Wink) - I had really been hoping (based on a lot of the visual elements emphasizing sympathy with the endangered fantasy creatures) that there would actually be a big clash between the worlds on this, factionalization of the fantasy world, et cetera. Hopefully that'll happen in Hellboy 3.

Cheebs

I liked the first one, hated the second. First was a funny action-romp with Ron Perlman. This one was all about Del Toro masturbating to the endless weird creatures he could design.

Solo

Roughmar said:
Are there any known pics of fistul?
I just need to see how he looks like.

I picture the stereotypical emo hipster guy. Pale, skinny as hell, tight pants, feminine clothes and haircut.

But who knows, he could be a bodybuilder for all I know.

Cheebs

Solo said:
I picture the stereotypical emo hipster guy. Pale, skinny as hell, tight pants, feminine clothes and haircut.
Seeing how that is the only type of guy Natalie Portman is ever seen with you are probably right.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Haven't seen it yet, I'm saving it for one of those hangover-filled mornings when my brain can't really process something with a story worth following. Just pretty pictures to watch while the tea and painkillers make their rounds. At least this thread isn't about the boring boring Batman.

I totally agree with the OP. I loved this one. I think I'm going to rewatch the series now, thanks. :D After Pan's Labyrinth I watched this not really expecting what awaits me but damn. The visuals and the style/atmosphere are so unique and well crafted. This is what movies are all about for me. Unique experiences. I also prefer the second movie to the first but I liked that as well. I love the creature designs in his films! Can't wait for Del Toro's "The Hobbit"!

Edit: Pan's Labyrinth is his masterpiece, tough. :)

Salazar

Witchfinder General said:
Also, Del Toro is a poor man's Terry Gilliam.

I would want Gilliam to make my dream film, but I wouldn't trust him to do it. There are drawbacks to indulgence being the motif of a career.

I missed it in the theatres but picked it up on BluRay. What a great movie. The set pieces were beautiful, and the cast is great. Ron Perlman doesnt get enough credit for his acting chops, and deserves more recognition.

I only hope they don't give Del Toro to much of a budget. Most of the reason why Hellboy 2 looks so good is because he had to be creative with his budget. If he has all the money in the world I worry it may become a straight CG fest.

But seeing as it's Weta, and their stuff in LOTR is fan-fucking-tastic with miniatures combined with intelligent CG use, that combined with Del Toro's already amazing practical and CG usage... I don't think I really have to worry that much.

Lau said:
Is OP joking? Why does this thread even exist?

why wouldn't we want to take some time and appreciate a work of cinematic art?

JDSN

Banned
Its easily the best worst movie of 2008, and it barely managed to be the corniest comic book movie of the year over The Dark Knight. Shame Del Toro spend all that budget ripping off crazy creatures from World of Warcraft.

Turfster

I... have no words.
HB2 was a boring yawn-fest and the "epic" end fight was just laughably pathetic.
It also proves the point that "everything in entertainment is better with nazi's"

NYR

Picked this up on Blu Ray a couple of weeks ago....AWESOME!

SIGN ME UP TO THE GAF GOLDEN ARMY HUZZAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
What does the Z before OMG means?
No native English speaker here :)

Cheebs

fistfulofmetal said:
The Hobbit is pretty much guaranteed to be amazing.
Hobbit will probably be good because it is being written by Peter Jackson and friends and is based off a book so Del Toro isn't given the chance to spend endless hours on weird looking creatures that serve little purpose.

JDSN

Banned
fistfulofmetal said:
the new title is redundant as the original already implied what movie this thread would be about.
It seems more like a warning to not bother with it.

duckroll

fistfulofmetal said:
the new title is redundant as the original already implied what movie this thread would be about.

Yes but you shouldn't be selfish, not everyone is as "enlightened" as you are...

bjork

On one hand, I want to say I'm with you because Sera is.

But on the other hand, lol @ thread. Maybe I'll make a 12-year thread or whatever for Spice World next year.

andycapps

:lol At the title change.

Enjoyed Hellboy 2, but I thought it was slightly worse than Hellboy 1. That being said, I enjoyed it a lot and am hoping there will be a 3rd one day when he's done with the Hobbit movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom