• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youkai Watch: General Thread

I'll be asleep by then but I'm sure there'll be a thread about it a bit afterwards. GAF is taking interest to the series more and more.

I should've been sleep long ago lol. Early rising for a 9am appointment followed by my Japanese lesson... But I'm far too excited to sleep. I just hope I don't fall asleep during my kanji test tomorrow >.<

Kitoro

I've had a huge interest in this series for so long... Think we'll get a release date at E3 for the first localized game?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Yeah, Dorobokkun is easily worse than Popo, Jynx and Oil Man, as it also has an afro going on along with it. I think Japan knows what blackface is, I don't think any of those characters being dark-skinned and with big lips is an accident, they just don't seem to really care.

I guess if you remove the lips, and change the skin color, it'll pass though. Or maybe they'll just remove the character completely?

As for Mitomen, I don't think it will raise a big issue. To be honest, it doesn't really strike me as embodying any one stereotype to really pinpoint an issue---it's just meant to be a snobby rich dude to me.

I've had a huge interest in this series for so long... Think we'll get a release date at E3 for the first localized game?

That's what I'm certainly hoping. It was announced that Viz Media will be releasing the manga in North America this September so I would hope that means the game and anime aren't gonna be too far behind the manga, if not in the same time frame

Source

Some people seem upset that Keita Amano's name has been changed to Nathan Adams for the Western version of the series...

My thoughts are that this change was made because Keita phonetically sounds like Kate... And since the protaganist (in the anime and first manga series at least) is a boy, they wanted to not ruffle feathers by keeping that which sounds like a girl's name.

Thoughts?

Vuze

Thinking about giving the series a shot, I'm kinda intrigued but the EU/US release is way too far away. Is the very first one from 2013 a good place to start or does the second one offer any substansial QoL improvements?

hazukash

Really excited about the upcoming Youkai Watch localization. I'm fine with the localized names, but I'll never call Keita "Nathan" or romanize Youkai as "Yo-Kai". Just out of habit.

Why they make Keita Nathan Adams, its so bland and its not like the target audience has never had interactions with people of JPN origin :(

Can we change his name in game?! I want him to be Keita, its canon!

Pachimari

So I wanna get into this, as I am extremely excited about the games, but is there any way for me to watch the anime with English subtitles?

Oare

Wait till you see Aperican.

Yeah, well, that one too, to some extent.
But his outfit and dancing are clearly meant as a joke; they're actually the entire point of the joke itself. Whereas the racial stereotype in mitomen and dorobokkun is an underlay. Racist cliches disturb me most when they're presented as something that's to be taken for granted.

Anyways, while we're at it, would anybody be up for some medal exchanges?
I'm standing at around 75% on the daijiten, but am having a bit of a hard time getting the remaining 25% (I can probably get another 10% on my own, with the main kaimas and the bosses I haven't beaten yet, but the rest definitely seems out of reach).
I can provide all the fruit-nyans, Darknyan, Fuyunyan, Maskednyan, Jetnyan, Komasan S, Jibakoma, Buri-taicho
(fucking Billy's bootcamp joke in 2015, way to rock, Level 5!)
, all Robo-yokais such as robo-ryukun, robo-koma, etc., plus also Honke-only yokais such as Tetsuya, Remocon-kakushi, Hitotsume-kozo, Urayameshi etc.
I also have a couple of extra yokais lying here and there, like Rai-oton or Sei-okan, which might help complete collections.
Since none of all this is really rare, I'd be mostly willing to trade for basic Ganso yokais, such as Mukamukade and the likes.
Also, I can't find a soul to do a Ganso link (I can provide Honke and Shinuchi linking), so that'd be nice too.

Bloodkrieg

Neo Member
I'm sure someone has posted this somewhere in the thread, but could someone tell me how to use the QR feature? I have several of the coins, but seeing as I don't read Japanese all that well, I am a little confused. Any help would be appreciated!

Impotaku

Where your house is, go south a few streets down and there is a building with a baby pig outside and the front has a pink sign this is the kobuta bank. If you goto counter number 1 and talk to the woman there she will let you scan QR codes however if you go and she won't let you do anything then it's still to early in the story, come back a bit later after you have done more and try again. Each QR code can only be scanned once per game on each of your save slots.

If you east from the bank there is also the baby goat post office if you go in there and talk to the woman at the middle counter you can connect online and get some free gashapon coins each week.

Forkball

I had no idea mitomen were apparently racist. I thought they were supposed to be snooty aristocrats. Their voices are hilarious.

Bloodkrieg

Neo Member
Where your house is, go south a few streets down and there is a building with a baby pig outside and the front has a pink sign this is the kobuta bank. If you goto counter number 1 and talk to the woman there she will let you scan QR codes however if you go and she won't let you do anything then it's still to early in the story, come back a bit later after you have done more and try again. Each QR code can only be scanned once per game on each of your save slots.

If you east from the bank there is also the baby goat post office if you go in there and talk to the woman at the middle counter you can connect online and get some free gashapon coins each week.

Thanks!

Zing

Banned
Question for those who have the first game cartridge:

How many save slots and does it save games to the cart, or to the SD card (as with Fantasy Life)?

Impotaku

3 save slots and they all save to the cart however the game also saves various data to the SD card too, mainly for linking with other versions and the streetpass and digital download items that you get free when you buy the digital versions. They are saved on a file called extra data on the SD card.

Tusk

Been playing Honke, beat the main story and started thinking I probably should have gotten Shinuchi. Got Honke because I liked Kyuubi and impulse bought it over Shinuchi.

Was wondering if anyone could help me out, if anyone even still plays Youkai Watch 2.
I'm on Honke's post game and was wondering if the Kyuubi fight on the school roof gives a chance of getting his medal, and also why wont the Army leader battle me, am I supposed to have something done in his quest before he will?

Another thing is, I saw in a video there's like a youkai train pass you get, is that in Shinuchi only? Or do I have to do something for it to happen in Honke? Is there some sort of quest guide I can use for the game?

Hope I'm not asking too much at once

I figure this was the best place to post this. So it turns out JYB is playing Keita in the upcoming anime (Nobody tell duckroll): http://twitter.com/DavidHSteinberg/status/598950496435482624 Interestingly enough, he's been renamed to Nate Adams. Did we know about this before? I haven't been keeping up that closely with the game's localization efforts so i'm not too sure. Is Level 5 really going to Ace Attorney a game that relies very heavily on Japanese folklore? And how will they handle when the games actually move to America? It just seems really odd to me that Level 5 would go through this much trouble. Especially for a game that is so heavily japanese. This isn't the age of 4Kids. Americans can handle japanese names.

I couldn't really get into Youkai Watch 2 back when I first played it a couple months ago. But a couple days ago I sucked it up and got through the boring beginning and now I'm hooked.

I think it helps significantly that I have a Japanese 3DS now so switching between it and other games is really easy compared to using region-free exploits. Looking forward to the localization of the first game, but it'll probably be out around the time the third game comes out in Japan so... :X

Near the end. My level 30-ish team got whooped by a certain boss though so I grinded them up to the 40 - 42 range. I'm hoping that's enough...

Like what a difficulty spike. I never had to really do this in Pokemon...

Impotaku

Pleased to say that the bottom seems to have dropped out of the youkai medal market, FINALLY they are now obtainable for sane prices although a few still command high a high price. I can start collecting again, although i'm several hundred behind now and with the new busters games coming in mere days there will be more medals coming.

Curious to see how the new buster games are as they will be the only thing to keep me going till the 3rd main game gets released.

Impotaku

Been playing Honke, beat the main story and started thinking I probably should have gotten Shinuchi. Got Honke because I liked Kyuubi and impulse bought it over Shinuchi.

Was wondering if anyone could help me out, if anyone even still plays Youkai Watch 2.
I'm on Honke's post game and was wondering if the Kyuubi fight on the school roof gives a chance of getting his medal, and also why wont the Army leader battle me, am I supposed to have something done in his quest before he will?

Another thing is, I saw in a video there's like a youkai train pass you get, is that in Shinuchi only? Or do I have to do something for it to happen in Honke? Is there some sort of quest guide I can use for the game?

Hope I'm not asking too much at once

Seeing as nobody replied to you.

Yes battling Kyuubi gives you a chance of getting him but you need to make sure you give him his favourite food item so you get the heart before you beat him, even if you do that the chances are quite small but keep going back each day as eventually you'll get him.

When you say army leader, who do you mean? do you mean the one on the school roof? or the head of your faction when you have the huge youkai battle in the field?

If you mean the guy on the school roof you need to climb the flagpole each day till you can reach the top, then on a new day go climb it to the top & one of several random appearances will happen one of them been the army guy who will be waiting for you on the school roof once you make him appear. When you meet him for the first time he will stay there for good so you just have to goto the roof to battle each day without messing on the flag pole if you need to rebattle to get his medal. He only appears during the day though and kyuubi appears at night,

If you meant the head of the faction thats in the great field you will need to complete the quest he gives you, sadly i can't remember the specifc quest off the top of my head.

As for the youkai train pass you can't get it in ganso and honke the special youkai train that takes you to the resort only appears in shinuchi.

Pleased to say that the bottom seems to have dropped out of the youkai medal market, FINALLY they are now obtainable for sane prices although a few still command high a high price. I can start collecting again, although i'm several hundred behind now and with the new busters games coming in mere days there will be more medals coming.

Curious to see how the new buster games are as they will be the only thing to keep me going till the 3rd main game gets released.

Have you picked which Busters you're getting? I went with Shiro Inu Tai. Can't wait for it to release. I'm considering getting Shinuchi to pass over the time :)

Impotaku

Speaking of that... How do you get to that train? I couldn't figure that one out.

In sakura new city station you need to find mr movin, he's at the ticket barriers inside the station to the left, talk to him to get the quest started, by the time you finish you'll be able to access the resort.

Instead of giving you a link to a japanese webpage wiki here's a handy youtube video. Just follow what they do & you should be ok :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzYme8Oqnwc

Have you picked which Busters you're getting? I went with Shiro Inu Tai. Can't wait for it to release. I'm considering getting Shinuchi to pass over the time :)

As i'm currently living on half pay at the moment i have had to cut back on the games so i haven't pre ordered as many new releases as normal, not decided which of the 2 busters games to get but i think i'll end up wih them both as they will most likely interact with each other plus there's the new buster sets of medals to get they even get their own binder.

Once i'm back at work from sick leave and earning full pay again i'm going to be back with a vengance hehe, i'm so pleased that the crazyness has died down for a while and prices of everything are returning to what they should have been. Hoping the 3rd game doesn't cause a massive spike in prices again.

Most medal booster boxes are now around 2000-3000 yen which is how they should have been instead of the crazy 10,000 yen point which i saw at it's peak. Still need to get Fumie's watch

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I figure this was the best place to post this. So it turns out JYB is playing Keita in the upcoming anime (Nobody tell duckroll): http://twitter.com/DavidHSteinberg/status/598950496435482624 Interestingly enough, he's been renamed to Nate Adams. Did we know about this before? I haven't been keeping up that closely with the game's localization efforts so i'm not too sure. Is Level 5 really going to Ace Attorney a game that relies very heavily on Japanese folklore? And how will they handle when the games actually move to America? It just seems really odd to me that Level 5 would go through this much trouble. Especially for a game that is so heavily japanese. This isn't the age of 4Kids. Americans can handle japanese names.

I remember reading a rumor that they were changing Jibanyan to Caspurr and Whisper to Jeeves, but don't know if that's true...

Oare

Speaking of that... How do you get to that train? I couldn't figure that one out.

If you're talking about grabbing the pass that allows you to go to GerageLand, you have to clear a quest ("Geragera Tour Tabi Kibun"). I don't really remember how to kickstart it, but a quick Google lookup says you have to sleep until nighttime and talk to Bikyaku near your house.
It'll open a whole new area in the game.
But if I'm remembering well, you have to finish the game first (or rather, see the ending roll - which is a point in the game that's actually more like 50% of the whole thing, scenario-wise? Maybe not even. There's so much more to do afterwards...)
(edit: and I also am pretty sure you need to clear the Mr Movean quest Impotaku talks about, too, before you can get the pass).

If you have Shinuchi, do all the additional quests. They're absolutely worth it.

Also, the bosses definitely do get harder and harder.
Most of them, you can only encounter if you do all the quests.
There's one that will give you a hell of a time even with a full team of 99 Lvl yokais and a solid amount of fukai kanpos. Unless you do a ton of prep time.

Impotaku

Yeah you need to clear the mr Movin quest first, only then will Bikyaku appear near your house at night to start that quest to get the pass.

Wait, I never did the Mr. Movin or whatever quest but there's a Bikyaku near my house with some level 55 quest. Aaaaaah now I'm confused lol

As i'm currently living on half pay at the moment i have had to cut back on the games so i haven't pre ordered as many new releases as normal, not decided which of the 2 busters games to get but i think i'll end up wih them both as they will most likely interact with each other plus there's the new buster sets of medals to get they even get their own binder.

Once i'm back at work from sick leave and earning full pay again i'm going to be back with a vengance hehe, i'm so pleased that the crazyness has died down for a while and prices of everything are returning to what they should have been. Hoping the 3rd game doesn't cause a massive spike in prices again.

Most medal booster boxes are now around 2000-3000 yen which is how they should have been instead of the crazy 10,000 yen point which i saw at it's peak. Still need to get Fumie's watch

I understand completely what you're going through. Hope you feel better and heal soon!
I might eventually pick up both versions, but Komasan is my favorite so I went with that version for now. I can't wait to hear more info on Three Kingdoms, I'll be preordering that one for sure!
Can't wait to see the next medals you collect! I don't have any (...yet). Seeing them get cheaper will be so much easier on you! :)

Impotaku

Thanks, been recovering from surgery but mended now. It's a bit bad that the only reason i want to get back to work as soon as possible is so i have disposable youkai watch income again lol. Damn level 5 sure do get my money hehehe

Now is a good time for medal collecting if you were ever tempted, the market is stable for most of the sets. Here i'm about 4 main series behind and a lot of side series i'm missing plus a few high price rare ones like the newest legend medals. Feels weird seeing boxes of medals for their normal retail prices, Fumie's DX watch is currently at 1480 yen it's soooo cheap. Japanese kids are always like this though they go totally crazy for something and the prices go insane then just like that everyone gets bored and moves along to something else.

Wonder how the medals work with the busters games, also curious if you can use the older ones in it to do anything. Ah so many questions, look forward to hearing impressions of what the busters game is like.

Oare

Wait, I never did the Mr. Movin or whatever quest but there's a Bikyaku near my house with some level 55 quest. Aaaaaah now I'm confused lol

I think that's the one.
The Mr. Movean quest is the one where you are tasked with finding 5 people to act in a movie.
It might be independent after all. I don't remember.

Tusk

Seeing as nobody replied to you.

Yes battling Kyuubi gives you a chance of getting him but you need to make sure you give him his favourite food item so you get the heart before you beat him, even if you do that the chances are quite small but keep going back each day as eventually you'll get him.

When you say army leader, who do you mean? do you mean the one on the school roof? or the head of your faction when you have the huge youkai battle in the field?

If you mean the guy on the school roof you need to climb the flagpole each day till you can reach the top, then on a new day go climb it to the top & one of several random appearances will happen one of them been the army guy who will be waiting for you on the school roof once you make him appear. When you meet him for the first time he will stay there for good so you just have to goto the roof to battle each day without messing on the flag pole if you need to rebattle to get his medal. He only appears during the day though and kyuubi appears at night,

If you meant the head of the faction thats in the great field you will need to complete the quest he gives you, sadly i can't remember the specifc quest off the top of my head.

As for the youkai train pass you can't get it in ganso and honke the special youkai train that takes you to the resort only appears in shinuchi.

I managed to figure everything out on my own, but thank you for the response. :b

Got Shinuchi and did a lot of the new stuff, taking a break from it to wait for Gonso to come in the mail so I can link them and get access to that content before I continue with the last of the post game quests.

I also plan on getting both busters games. Inu for me and neko for my brother.

Impotaku

Ah no problem, good to hear you figured it out in the end.

Well i managed to sell off a small chunk of my spare double medals so i got quite a nice pile of cash to buy some more YW stuff, i decided to hold off on the new games and concentrate on the medal stuff. Ordered Fumie's watch also got the youkai pad as i have been wanting that thing for a while. Couple of official protective cases for said watch an youkai pad, one thing i love is Japans attention to detail they release a toy with a touch screen and some other company releases a official screen protector for it. So i got a protector.

Also picked up one special medal as it was going real cheap, the one for roboryukun as it was a medaland exclusive that you had to win by lottery and you could only enter the lottery if you had registered your steve jaws medal. It's one of the medals that unlocks an encounter in the game it's the last missing robot youkai in the game.
417cXyYq9WL.jpg

Aizo

Banned
If I watch the show to catch up to the second game, any idea how many episodes that would be? I don't really want to start with the third game, so I figured I'd buy the ultimate kinda version of the second.

Meffer

If I watch the show to catch up to the second game, any idea how many episodes that would be? I don't really want to start with the third game, so I figured I'd buy the ultimate kinda version of the second.

The show isn't really needed to enjoy the games, apart from just enjoying the characters and the comedy. So enjoy the show at your own pace. The games themselves are self contained from the show so Shinuchi (the third version of the second) is a great start! Then once the franchise hits worldwide next year you can enjoy the first game in english.

There's really nothing to catch up on. The second game explains pretty much everything relevant from the first at one point or another and the plots are separate.

javadoze

Ah no problem, good to hear you figured it out in the end.

Well i managed to sell off a small chunk of my spare double medals so i got quite a nice pile of cash to buy some more YW stuff, i decided to hold off on the new games and concentrate on the medal stuff. Ordered Fumie's watch also got the youkai pad as i have been wanting that thing for a while. Couple of official protective cases for said watch an youkai pad, one thing i love is Japans attention to detail they release a toy with a touch screen and some other company releases a official screen protector for it. So i got a protector.

Also picked up one special medal as it was going real cheap, the one for roboryukun as it was a medaland exclusive that you had to win by lottery and you could only enter the lottery if you had registered your steve jaws medal. It's one of the medals that unlocks an encounter in the game it's the last missing robot youkai in the game.

...if you had registered your steve jaws medal.

steve jaws

I can't believe this is real.

Impotaku

They have no shame in pimping the goods on the anime but i don't mind as i love it hehe, i totally laughed my head off when the zeroshiki watch was first revealed on there. Pretty much mirrored real life with the crazyness involved in trying to get hold of one.

Impotaku

It's very possible that they might show more of the localisation they need to start building up some fanbase if they want it to succeed as it's much more than just the game. Not really read much of the manga but i do really enjoy the games/anime/toys.

Top Bottom