• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youkai Watch: General Thread

Impotaku

Really curious to see how far they will go with the translation to keep the Japanese culture intact. There is quite a bit that will not be so easy to localise without dumbing down, wonder if they will try to replace some of the names of the youkai to use similar wordplay jokes in english like the Japanese ones do.

Impotaku

Thought these should go in here, from the Level 5 vision event from a while back.

Youkai busters promo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jhvb4F4ric

Youkai watch 3 reveal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=07HgkD_3mFI

Anime 2nd season
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lJPkVw1H6o

Real youkai watch U prototype, god i love the new summons. Like cheerleader chants hehe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afWVF_o1qYo

Purichi chant for Jibanyan hehe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c4tiSVaubI

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So it seems they're going for what Pokemon did where major Youkai like Whisper and Jibanyan keep their names and the others get new ones...

For those familiar with the original names, what do you think? I saw "Dullruma", not sure what the original was called, but thought that was a cute name. Seems like they changed the Yokai Watch noise as well, but sounded similar to the original one.

Impotaku

Looks like they have gone for the dumbed down "Apollo eat your hambrgers" route, can't say i like it if i'm honest. A lot of it's charm comes from it been rich in Japanese culture, to be fair though the localisation is not aimed towards me. They are going for the people that have never played the game before, if you have never played any of the games, then the transition will be a lot easier to deal with.

If you have played any of the Japanese games it might be a lot harder to get used to, i can understand why they did it as some of the wordplay jokes obviously don't work in english so they need either removing or reworking if possible.

Looks like if they do bring the real watch over it's going to require a lot of work.

English trailer for those who haven't seen it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opal2gPHAD4

Meffer

The one that eats wifi is called Signibble which is pretty clever. Looks like they're doing same thing like Pokemon in terms of translation except YW is based on the real world (to an extent) while Pokemon is it's own world inspired by ours. I think this will be a fun challenge for them.

Meffer

And as for Puruichi being changed to "Charming", I can't think of a better word to use since Puruichi is just a funny way to say "Pretty". So Charming was the best choice since it sounds better then say "Pretty" or "Cute".

The one that eats wifi is called Signibble which is pretty clever. Looks like they're doing same thing like Pokemon in terms of translation except YW is based on the real world (to an extent) while Pokemon is it's own world inspired by ours. I think this will be a fun challenge for them.

This! I'm pretty happy to see that they didn't exclude some Yokai like Onarazumono (whom was renamed Cheeksqueek)

Looks like they have gone for the dumbed down "Apollo eat your hambrgers" route, can't say i like it if i'm honest. A lot of it's charm comes from it been rich in Japanese culture, to be fair though the localisation is not aimed towards me. They are going for the people that have never played the game before, if you have never played any of the games, then the transition will be a lot easier to deal with.

If you have played any of the Japanese games it might be a lot harder to get used to, i can understand why they did it as some of the wordplay jokes obviously don't work in english so they need either removing or reworking if possible.

Looks like if they do bring the real watch over it's going to require a lot of work.

English trailer for those who haven't seen it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opal2gPHAD4
Kyuubi changed from a super feminine dude to a female in 3... 2...

Impotaku

Kyuubi changed from a super feminine dude to a female in 3... 2...

Seeing as Onarazumono (the one with an ass for a face) made the cut i'm hoping none of the others have been censored. If any were ever going to get the chop it would have been that one. Have to admit Cheeksqueak is the perfect name it rolls off the tongue nicely.

Impotaku

Anyone who has the Jpn versions if you want a Jetnyan then here's the QR code. Once you have his bell, he's on the roof of the school, fave food item is choco bars.

jetnyan%20qr%20code.jpg

Seeing as Onarazumono (the one with an ass for a face) made the cut i'm hoping none of the others have been censored. If any were ever going to get the chop it would have been that one. Have to admit Cheeksqueak is the perfect name it rolls off the tongue nicely.

It also looks like they didn't censor the old guys at the bath house either

Kyuubi is a girl in the original too. She just disguised as a boy.
All while in his yellow kitsune form:

-Kyuubi uses "boku" to refer to himself. He is feminine as hell so if he was a girl he would certainly use "watashi" or "atashi". Probably "atashi".

-In episode 31, the move episode, he's cast as... a dude.

-Speaking of which, in that episode the director uses the pronoun "kare" to refer to Kyuubi. This pronoun is used mainly on... you guessed it... Dudes.

Melon Bread

Neo Member
Thought these should go in here, from the Level 5 vision event from a while back.

Youkai busters promo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jhvb4F4ric

Youkai watch 3 reveal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=07HgkD_3mFI

Anime 2nd season
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lJPkVw1H6o

Real youkai watch U prototype, god i love the new summons. Like cheerleader chants hehe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afWVF_o1qYo

Purichi chant for Jibanyan hehe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c4tiSVaubI

Mongee Subs translated the YW 3 Trailer and the Season 2 Trailer:
https://mongeesubs.wordpress.com/2015/04/08/youkai-watch-season-2-youkai-watch-3-trailers/

(If this is not allowed to be linked just let me know)

Impotaku

Well this is interesting seems unlike before where the game was released before the watch it seems the proto u watch is going to be released first, perfect timing as a couple of days before my birthday. It's out Aug 10th.

As far as Youkai watches go this one seems to have some interesting features, firstly it works with all medals, the first watch and zeroshiki watches would only read certain colours. This time it's all including all the new buster medals, also the thing can be upgraded as it has a micro sd card slot on the side.

Another one for the collection, hoping that as the newer games come out they slowly end the older medal lines as it becomes a bit too much to collect through 3 branching series with many offshoots on each of those.

protou%202.jpg

protou%201.jpg

Impotaku

If you want to see what the watch looks like in action heres a link that takes you right to the part in the link i posted earlier
https://youtu.be/afWVF_o1qYo?t=3m55s

One of the reasons i really got into collecting the toy side of it was the fact that they are very good replicas of the watches, it's just like they reached in and pulled them out from the games/anime. The only thing i would have loved to see if for them to somehow make the hands move instead of been a sticker but apart from that they are pretty much look perfect. They are toys at the end of the day but also fun collectables too, it's good that the medals that work with them also have several uses including working with the games. Gives you a bit more value for money :)

I know that they kind of intended it this way to sell the toys through the games/anime but it didn't bother me that much as i was already a fan, lol no need to win me over.

Really should do a mini feature on them sometime, have a lot of YW stuff in the post thanks to selling some medals so it would give me an excuse to get everything out once the new stuff arrives.

Meffer

Well this is interesting seems unlike before where the game was released before the watch it seems the proto u watch is going to be released first, perfect timing as a couple of days before my birthday. It's out Aug 10th.

As far as Youkai watches go this one seems to have some interesting features, firstly it works with all medals, the first watch and zeroshiki watches would only read certain colours. This time it's all including all the new buster medals, also the thing can be upgraded as it has a micro sd card slot on the side.

Another one for the collection, hoping that as the newer games come out they slowly end the older medal lines as it cecomes a bit too much to collect through 3 branching series with many offshoots on each of those.

protou%202.jpg

protou%201.jpg
That's so damn cool!

Tusk

Another one for the collection, hoping that as the newer games come out they slowly end the older medal lines as it cecomes a bit too much to collect through 3 branching series with many offshoots on each of those.

protou%202.jpg

protou%201.jpg

I plan on getting this ordered day 1. Really love the watches.
Has it been said exactly what the SD card function is?

Also, read in your earlier post you said you got an official DX watch case? Had no idea that was a thing, got any pics? or any idea where I could order one?

Impotaku

It hasn't been mentioned what the SD card funtion will allow the watch to do but my guess is that when new medals that come out and they are ones that the watch doesn't have sound data for the updates will allow the watch to play those as well. That's my guess anyway, maybe something really cool relating to the game. So far it's a mystery but once i find out i'll be updating the thread :)

So far there are only 2 official carry cases. One is for Fumie's DX watch the other is for the youkaipad. There hasn't been one yet so far for Keita or for the zeroshiki watch.

The only place i have seen them so far is Amazon Japan although to be honest i haven't looked much elsewhere.

51vYkbX-oaL.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B00UP15MTS/

410NzQlOCqL.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B00QRLXBR0/

Tusk

It hasn't been mentioned what the SD card funtion will allow the watch to do but my guess is that when new medals that come out and they are ones that the watch doesn't have sound data for the updates will allow the watch to play those as well. That's my guess anyway, maybe something really cool relating to the game. So far it's a mystery but once i find out i'll be updating the thread :)

So far there are only 2 official carry cases. One is for Fumie's DX watch the other is for the youkaipad. There hasn't been one yet so far for Keita or for the zeroshiki watch.

The only place i have seen them so far is Amazon Japan although to be honest i haven't looked much elsewhere.

51vYkbX-oaL.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B00UP15MTS/

410NzQlOCqL.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B00QRLXBR0/

Oh, neat. Thanks. :b I've been planning on getting a Youkai Pad, so I'll probably get one of these pouches too.

Can't wait for more info on the Youkai Watch U. I've already got The B Medals set 1, 2, and 3 pre-ordered.

kubus

I'm really happy that Treehouse is doing the translation. From the bits I watched, I really like how they've handled the localization. Speaking of which, what do you guys think about some of the translated Yo-kai names that we got sneak peaks of? Some of them are really smart, like Cheeksqueek (Onarazumono), Buhu (Tohohogisu), Noway (Murikabe), Signibble (Denbakukozo), Snotsolong (Zuruzuruzuru) and Wazzat (Wasurenbou).

I get why they renamed Keita but I still have to get used to his English name "Nathan/Nate". I like Fumi's English name, Katie, but I feel like it might be confused a lot with Keita, lol.

Looks like they're already done with renaming all the Yo-kai. I wish they released a list or something soon, because I'm really curious what kind of names they've given them!

Impotaku

A fun day today as all my youkai stuff turned up :)

Fumie's watch & a carry case plus the Yokaipad plus a carry case & screen protector.
IMG_0702%20res.jpg

Marugoto tomodatchi fanbook 5 with a new medal and also the guide for shinuchi as the last one had loads of info missing. Plus the roboryukun medal to add to the collection
IMG_0703%20res.jpg

Meffer

I'm really happy that Treehouse is doing the translation. From the bits I watched, I really like how they've handled the localization. Speaking of which, what do you guys think about some of the translated Yo-kai names that we got sneak peaks of? Some of them are really smart, like Cheeksqueek (Onarazumono), Buhu (Tohohogisu), Noway (Murikabe), Signibble (Denbakukozo), Snotsolong (Zuruzuruzuru) and Wazzat (Wasurenbou).

I get why they renamed Keita but I still have to get used to his English name "Nathan/Nate". I like Fumi's English name, Katie, but I feel like it might be confused a lot with Keita, lol.

Looks like they're already done with renaming all the Yo-kai. I wish they released a list or something soon, because I'm really curious what kind of names they've given them!
It reminds me of Pokemon's translation as a whole honestly. I mean, we all know Ash but he's called Satoshi in Japan. And it doesn't really matter in the end since I'll just name him whatever I want in the game lol!

Meffer

A fun day today as all my youkai stuff turned up :)

Fumie's watch & a carry case plus the Yokaipad plus a carry case & screen protector.
IMG_0702%20res.jpg

Marugoto tomodatchi fanbook 5 with a new medal and also the guide for shinuchi as the last one had loads of info missing. Plus the roboryukun medal to add to the collection
IMG_0703%20res.jpg
Nice haul, man! That reminds that the two boxes of medals I ordered came in a few months back and I got some rare medals from it. I'm really excited when we can collect medals without resorting to importing.

Thinking about it now, will the Japanese medals work with the localized games when it comes out?

Impotaku

Seeing how the medals physically work i can't really see any problem with Japanese ones working on a western watch, each medal as you probably have already figured out has a set of notches on the back when you insert it into a watch it triggers a certain combination of presses on the 4 switches under the medal on the watch.

The only thing i could see is if you inserted a Japanese medal and the western watch didn't have data for it yet as it as it was meant for one of the later watches. Although in that case you would just get no sound just like it happens when you use the newer medals on the very first Japanese watch.

If it was one of the Japanese grey frame medals then i imagine when you put it in you would get the english voice clip even though it would be a Japanese medal. As for the QR codes i'm not sure as the ones that unlock special youkai in the games usually come from very specific places. It will depend on weither they decide that they want people to get the youkai with medals or not.

Just finished setting up my youkaipad, got the screen protector on with no bubbles, my goodness that thing fits with barely any gaps at the side. Very high quality though, as it's a toy i will assume the plastic screen will be very scratch prone so a protector was a good idea for it i think, will pick up a couple more in the future in case i need to replace it.

BTA

As someone who watches Kamen Rider and the occaisonal Sentai show, I'm used to the interesting gimmick toys, but it's still neat to see how these have turned out. Though I guess it's not surprising given how well they're selling.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the first game finally coming out here, and I don't mind the localization so much as it's aimed at kids and a lot of the cultural aspects would be hard to bring over well to begin with, but I do wonder how they'll end up handling the third game's setting. Germany like Ace Attorney does, maybe?

nekobi

For those of you who collect the medals, about how many boxes/packs does it usually take to get a full set? I'm thinking about ordering some of the new Busters medal packs as I'm super hyped for the new game, but I have no idea what the pull rates are. :)

Also, any idea what role the medals will have in the new Busters game?

Meffer

For those of you who collect the medals, about how many boxes/packs does it usually take to get a full set? I'm thinking about ordering some of the new Busters medal packs as I'm super hyped for the new game, but I have no idea what the pull rates are. :)

I ordered just one box awhile back and I pulled rare (holos) ones quite a bit, 5 actually. As for all of the medals in the box I had no repeats, which is also pretty lucky. I've seen videos where people got some repeats in the same box. Impotaku should have a good opinion on this subject as well since he's quite the collecter.

Impotaku

http://yw.b-boys.jp/member/products/

This webpage lists all the medal packs and whats in each medal set, there are currently 12 series plus 2 reissues of the 1st & 2nd series for those that missed them the first time around.

In the older sets there is usually 30 medals in a set, in a box you get 12 packs with 2 medals per pack so one full box gives you 24 medals. Also in a box you will be guranteed to get at least some holo medals per box (cant remember if its 5 or less) but even then you'd need at least 2 full boxes and a bt of luck to get a set although i have done that before and ended up getting duplicate holos in each box. Some sets it's taken 4 boxes to get a full set.

There are other things to consider as well, in some of the sets there are medals know as campaign medals they are rare ones not always found in each box. And there are special medals called hagure medals that look like ones already in the set but they are slightly different. If you look in series 1 on the website at the bottom theres saphirenyan & topanyan right at the bottom of the page, they are campaign medals. If you look at series 4 (dark purple pack) theres 3 hagure medals in that set they are shown at the bottom of that page.

The newer sets like the buster medals have only 20 in a set making it a lot easier to get a full set from a couple of boxes. As for what the medals do i think some of them unlock bosses to fight in the game but i'm not sure about the others in the set.

If you need any more medal info ask away, i'm happy to answer questions :)

It's so nice to see confirmation of this series coming to America. With the game and now the show. I'm excited for it! I think I like the Japanese voices the most, so I'll probably stick to watching the English subbed episodes but I'll still show some support for the localized version.

It's so nice to see confirmation of this series coming to America. With the game and now the show. I'm excited for it! I think I like the Japanese voices the most, so I'll probably stick to watching the English subbed episodes but I'll still show some support for the localized version.

I'll likely dvr the English episodes when they air but will also continue to watch the Japenese version (gotta keep brushing up the language skills after all)

Top Bottom