• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

your DREAM roster for a PlayStation-Smash reboot, who the developer should be, & more

I see a lot of people saying "this shouldn't have been a 2D Smash Bros. styled game!", but honestly I don't think it matters THAT much.

If the game mechanics as well as the balance was good, it would of been fine. Here's a big article of all the things that really went wrong with the game: https://lowtierheroes.wordpress.com...attle-royale-how-not-to-make-a-fighting-game/

Let's just say, if the game happened to be a complete copy of say, Melee, physics and all, I'd reckon a lot more people would be playing it.

kunonabi

roster should include at the very least:
tekken character(kazuya)
toshinden character(sonia)
Lara Croft(the real one)
Jill Valentine(pre RE5)
Cloud
Solid Snake
Kratos
Kid from Ape Escape
Kat
Lammy
infamous character
Sir Daniel
Nathan Drake
Sly Cooper
Jak & Daxter
Ratchet & Clank
Sackboy
Sweet Tooth

3. Who should develop it?
Capcom's Power Stone team

4. What should the gameplay be like?

3D Arena fighter(Power Stone,CV:J, etc.)

5. What is ANYTHING & EVERYTHING else you want in this product?
Story mode on par with Project X Zone wouldn't hurt but Sony would probably want something dramatic and up its own ass.

Playsage

Dream Roster:
I want to keep it contained and try to get the most variety from it

PSOne properties
- Sir Daniel Fortesque from "MediEvil"
- Parappa from "Parappa the Rapper"
- Sweet Tooth from "Twisted Metal"
- Kakeru from "Ape Escape"

PS2 properties:
- Kratos from "God of War"
- Jak (with Daxter) from "Jak and Daxter"
- Ratchet (with Clank) from "Ratchet & Clank"
- Sly Racoon from "Sly Racoon"

PS3 properties:
- Sackboy from "Little Big Planet"
- Nathan Drake from "Uncharted"
- Ellie from "The Last of Us"
- Kessler from "Infamous"

PS4 properties:
- Aloy from "Horizon: Zero Dawn"
- Fetch from "Infamous"
- Knack from "Knack"

Portable properties:
- Kat from "Gravity Rush"

Third Parties:
- Crash Bandicoot from "Crash Bandicoot" (Activision)
- Jade from "Beyond Good & Evil" (Ubisoft)
- Liara T'soni from "Mass Effect" (Electronic Arts)
- Dante from "Devil May Cry" (Capcom)
- Sora from "Kingdom Hearts" Tifa from "Final Fantasy VII" (Remake) (Square Enix)
- Nightmare from "Soul Calibur" (Namco)
- Kazama Kiryu from "Yakuza" (Sega)
- Alucard from "Castlevania" (Konami)

Total: 24 characters

Gameplay:
A simplified and infinites-free tag-team "vs. Capcom" style game by Capcom.

I see a lot of people saying "this shouldn't have been a 2D Smash Bros. styled game!", but honestly I don't think it matters THAT much.

If the game mechanics as well as the balance was good, it would of been fine. Here's a big article of all the things that really went wrong with the game: https://lowtierheroes.wordpress.com...attle-royale-how-not-to-make-a-fighting-game/

Let's just say, if the game happened to be a complete copy of say, Melee, physics and all, I'd reckon a lot more people would be playing it.

I don't think people are saying it couldn't have been a good game if it were just a solid Smash clone, what they're saying is that most Playstation characters originated in full 3D so it makes more sense for the game to reflect that. 2.5D makes complete sense for a Nintendo fighter as at least 90% of the characters in Smash originated in a 2D space. So they feel right at home in 2D while Playstation characters feel out of place because they've never been limited in movement in such a way before.

Aside from it simply making more sense to be 3D, it would've also generated more hype and less negativity. From the moment PSABR was announced it was just viewed as a Smash ripoff. And as a result it drew a lot of negativity as many viewed it as being a cheap Smash clone. By comparison, had it been similar to Power Stone it would've drawn praise. From PS fans it would've brought hype because that's really the only way it seems like that game would be resurrected in some form or another, and from others it would've been viewed as something unique rather than just a ripoff of another established and popular fighter.

I don't think people are saying it couldn't have been a good game if it were just a solid Smash clone, what they're saying is that most Playstation characters originated in full 3D so it makes more sense for the game to reflect that. 2.5D makes complete sense for a Nintendo fighter as at least 90% of the characters in Smash originated in a 2D space. So they feel right at home in 2D while Playstation characters feel out of place because they've never been limited in movement in such a way before.

Aside from it simply making more sense to be 3D, it would've also generated more hype and less negativity. From the moment PSABR was announced it was just viewed as a Smash ripoff. And as a result it drew a lot of negativity as many viewed it as being a cheap Smash clone. By comparison, had it been similar to Power Stone it would've drawn praise. From PS fans it would've brought hype because that's really the only way it seems like that game would be resurrected in some form or another, and from others it would've been viewed as something unique rather than just a ripoff of another established and popular fighter.

Basically this, even though I don't get the GAF's "3d => power stone" trend. The game would naturally become way more original if they tried to distance themselves from Smash more than they did. The other thing is, the super mechanic is generally disliked and for a good reason, it makes the whole game depend a bunch of moves while still not getting the benefits of doing just that.

ZarKryn7

I'm going to condense this post. I elaborated this already.

*more 1st party characters whether popular or obscure(psycho Josh, kutaro, max and Monica, dart, tomba,and blasto to name a couple)

*give it to Dev who are not only PS fans but can design a very PlayStation stylized game. Not the generic theme PSAS had. Like have some animation studios to do some well made cutscenes or an game opener. Basically anything that will make the game's overall presentation great.

*put 3rd party characters that are significantly associated to PlayStation in its prime form. Don'te and Isaac doesn't represent PlayStation.

*and put more dang modes and make the combat fluid. Most characters didn't had a fluid combo chain in the original.

Walpurgis

Banned
The sad thing is, PSABR originally DID have a prolific developer behind it: Naughty Dog. They were originally going to develop the thing but they wanted to instead focus on The Last of Us, so PSABR was then handed off to a new B-team. I know they wanted to get TLOU out, but I do wish we still could of gotten the game made by them. It would of been so much better.
Whaaaat???? I didn't know this. I was thinking that only a Japanese dev team could make a proper PlayStation All-Stars but if Naughty Dog were in the mix....

I don't have much of an opinion as far as characters go but I think having the Rivals of Aether lead developer heading the project would be a smart move. Just copy the Smash Brothers format and tweak as you see fit. Its not like the "platform fighter" genre is over saturated.

L Thammy

For some reason, I have the weird sense that Project M was cancelled because the devs were picked up by Sony. That might be a good idea for who could handle All-Stars 2.

Aside from Crash and Sir Daniel Fortesque, there isn't really anyone that jumps out at me as a much-have. The problem is that most of the games I play on PlayStation are third party, but I just end up associating Capcom games with Capcom and Square Enix games with Square Enix.

The game should be a Power Stone clone developed by Sony's Japan Studio. Knack may not be a great game (or even a good one, for that matter), but I think it'd be a decent foundation for the kind of gameplay a new SonySmash should have. If they touched up the combat, added loads of goofy weapons from Playstation games, and had shifting level design like Power Stone 2 (with none of the IP mixing the first game's levels had, since it made the levels feel messy and disjointed), it'd probably be a pretty damn fun game. An actual story mode wouldn't hurt, either.

As for the roster, it should be this fucking bonkers who's who lineup of names you associate with Playstation. There needs to be numerous "holy shit I can't believe they went with that guy" picks, as well as the absolute fucking no-brainers missing from the first game (Crash, Spyro, Cloud Strife, Solid Snake, etc.). In the case of Crash and Spyro, make sure they're in their original PSX designs. It doesn't matter if they have to pay Activision, Square, or whoever owns the licenses now, you cannot have a credible "Playstation All-Stars" game without Crash and Spyro at the very least.

The big, current IP characters (including guys from the first game) are important and would no doubt also be in the game, but there needs to be a lot of deep cuts from old/obscure Sony IPs. These guys in particular come to mind:

Robbit from Jumping Flash
Mister Mosquito (Yep, it's actually a Sony IP)
Blasto (Billy West has to be looking for work, right?)
Tomba
Gabe Logan from Syphon Filter (even if it's only so he can beef with Snake in the story)
Ultra V from War of the Monsters
Pomeranian from Tokyo Jungle
Vibri from Vib-Ribbon

Third-party might be a little more difficult to make happen, but it's important. Third-party put Playstation on the map, and there's too many IPs that are almost exclusively associated with Playstation for them not to make a proper stab at it. Ideal third-party gets for me would be:

Lara Croft (The original incarnation)
Gex
Klonoa
Jill Valentine from Resident Evil
Abe from Oddworld
Mega Man X
Subaru Impreza Rally Edition from Gran Turismo (Rally Edition because he fights dirty)
Alucard from Symphony of the Night
Pyramid Head from Silent Hill 2
Reiko Nagase from Ridge Racer
Tony Hawk, Pro Skater

Any IP that doesn't make the roster could still be candidates for weapons, stages, boss fights, etc. There's loads of potential to get stuff in.

There's probably a bunch of good ones I'm missing, but tell me that some of those characters wouldn't make you lose your shit.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I feel like some characters suggested here wouldn't really fit with those type of games.
Last of Us seems way too serious to be featured in "Yay silly fighting game!"
Nathan Drake is fine cause the Uncharted games aren't really serious (though, I'm not sure if that's always intended). But games like Journey or Heavy rain, I dunno. It would just feel weird. Then again, I have no interest in a Sony-Smash Bros at all, I'm barely interested in real Smash anymore so I'm probably the wrong person to ask

I feel like some characters suggested here wouldn't really fit with those type of games.
Last of Us seems way too serious to be featured in "Yay silly fighting game!"
Nathan Drake is fine cause the Uncharted games aren't really serious (though, I'm not sure if that's always intended). But games like Journey or Heavy rain, I dunno. It would just feel weird. Then again, I have no interest in a Sony-Smash Bros at all, I'm barely interested in real Smash anymore so I'm probably the wrong person to ask

There'd be a lot of weird fits, but I think it'd turn out well for the game if they were to embrace it and play off of the juxtaposition of Journey/Heavy Rain/Last of Us and the lighthearted nature of the Playstation All-Stars format.

Evilisk

This article doesn't really explain a lot.

It spends way too much time complaining about balance. It IS an issue, but it's one a lot of fighting games have, and it doesn't necessarily relate to PlayStation All-Star's game's mechanics specifically. Like the game would still have several flaws even if it was perfectly balanced, so that point doesn't actually explain anything about the game's mechanics.

Supers not being designed equally and kill confirms going contrary to the game's super system are actual real problems with the game's systems. Yet for some reason that's not given nearly as much time and the author only looks at it in a way that relates to balance (which again, does not explain anything about the systems)

Walpurgis

Banned
If they used Anarchy Reigns as a base, the possibilities would be endless. Imagine playing in a large open map as Batman gliding and grappling around the map with most of his usual abilities, Gwyn, Lord of Cinder or another Souls boss (since the PC is probably too weak and boring), Big Boss from MGSV with Mother Base support, heavy weapons and vehicles, Geralt and Ciri from The Witcher 3, etc. A PlayStation smash that really attempted to capture the gameplay of all of its franchises (within reason for balance, of course) would be a dream come true.

As for the roster, third party is a really important part of PS for me so I wouldn't want it to be a Sony IP fest. From last gen, I would like franchises like Assassin's Creed (Ezio pref), Batman, Grand Theft Auto (Trevor), Portal, Okami (I know, PS2), Ni no Kuni and Persona, among others. I want the third party aspect to be a celebration of PS's greatest third party games, not an advertisement of this year's upcoming games.

For first party, I don't really care much, tbh. I only started paying attention to Sony's 1st party last gen so I have no attachment to stuff like Crash and Daxter, and the Medevil game. Killzone 2, Uncharted, inFamous, LittleBigPlanet and God of War are all that come to mind, and considering how each of those franchises have a game this gen, they seem obvious enough.

I'm an easy man to please, you can make it similar to PSA:BR, just add prinnies as a playable character and I'm in dere dawg. Namco can develop it, they're competent unlike capcom

also take out donte's lame ass.

Menitta

Limiting it to 8.

• Kiryu Kazuma
  • Solid Snake
  • Joel
  • Delson Rowe
  • Bloodborne Hunter
  • Kai (Velocity 2X)
  • Cloud
  • Gran Turismo Car

Evilisk

With everything else:

Gameplay

I think they could go just about anywhere with gameplay in a sequel and I wouldn't mind. I'd be okay with it being more of a Smash clone, or pushes towards being something more like Jump Ultimate Stars, I'd even be okay with the 3D route like Power Stone or Anarchy Reigns (though I'm a bit iffy on the latter since there was no local co-op for AR, and it'd be quite the dealbreaker especially if the online isn't up to par).

Just, don't make it a karting game.

And more importantly, if they do keep the Super System, it cannot work exactly the same as it does now.. It needs helluva lot of changes and tweaks (maybe more Super options available, or no kill confirms, or making the game more about meter management) if the game is gonna have long legs, competitively. The biggest problem is that the system makes the meta sooo streamlined that the delayed update actually helped keep the community alive longer than it should ever have been around.

Developer:

I'm not worked up about what Developer. I don't see the game being developed wholesale by Namco, Capcom or any third party developer though.

The only thing I'll say is, no Naughty Dog. I don't see how their cinematic focus is gonna mesh with a crossover type deal. Aside from the graphics, I don't really see Naughty Dog bringing anything really interesting to the table.

Other Fluff:

They should focus on adding as many series as possible. It doesn't need to be as lavish as Smash (it probably can't or won't be anyway) but assist trophy equivalents and multiple music tracks per stages are what I want to see. And as said before, no double dipping for playable characters.

I especially want to see a lot of music, even if it's not even remixed and just placed into the game unmodified. There are so many great tracks on the first party side from series and games like Gran Turismo, Wild Arms, Bloodborne, basically any Level 5 RPG etc. that missed out on the first game (though they picked great tracks in the first game too like Meet the Reapers and Time Station)

shink

Ringouts and percentages or some variation is needed, no super only kills but I feel that won't ever happen because it's too similar to Smash.

I'd say keep most of the 1st party characters from BR, add in Iota, Everybody's Golf avatar.

Third party would be FF, Crash, Spyro and Tekken.

some people mentioned Goku and I agree this would be a good place for him to be too

also the Journeyer! I can't believe I forgot about her

Top Bottom