• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Favorite...and not so favorite Main Menu Screens

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
ykaa4H1.jpg

This is one of my favorites. As are: Halo Reach, OoT, TLOU.

I also really like the Bulletstorm main menu (theme). It's over the top and cheesy, but that music man... I sometimes just left the title screen on for minutes before I started the game.

On the flip side, my arch enemy is the Hard Reset loading screen. it was badass, but the 10 second animations between every menu option got annoying real fast.

They patched that out. There's a fast menus setting somewhere in options.

The first thing that popped into my head was Max Payne 2, if only for that music. It's been over 10 years, and it's still one of the most memorable and haunting things I've ever heard in a game. I remember sitting at the main menu just to listen to it.

Cheeky

297030-crisis-core-final-fantasy-vii-psp-screenshot-title-screens.png

Sort of the same as mgs4's. Supposed to be really sad for people who completed the game or know what it means.

I just realized the song that plays at the main menu is called "Successor" which ties in with the whole image and what it means. Sounds good too.

Anyway, for a somewhat different entry, Conkers bad fur day. While not as special, minimalistic or mysterious as some, it is a perfect way to show the crazy shit that is about to happen.
gfs_41917_1_5.jpg

Another i really enjoy is Shadowman. Which has the voodoo feel of the game woven into the menu. When you wait a little it goes into a flyby of the world accompanied by the amazing Main Theme giving you a pretty good feel of the world.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBdO0680PHQ&hd=1

Ridley327

455773-killer7-playstation-2-screenshot-title-screen-main-menu-s.png

Killer7, easily. Very simple, but also very eerie; after some odd, ambient start-up music, the letters just keep dripping down on the menu. When you select an option, you hear the laughter of the Heaven Smiles, as well. Really sets the mood for the game.

That game has the best difficulty select ever. The music getting more and more intense the higher you go is some next-level stuff.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
A fly-through inside a Metroid membrane doesn't seem notably corny. If it were like the Batman Arkham series menus with Samus replacing Batman, it'd be inappropriately aggressive.
The fly-through isn't a bad idea, but the presentation is corny. And I'm not sure why you brought up Batman, but I definitely agree. Something with the beauty and simplicity of TLOU or Halo Reach would be nice for Metroid. Something that centerpieces the beauty (and alienness) of an in-game landscape. Or take the polar opposite route and go for the heavy sci-fi feel of the original Metroid title screen.

Acrylic7

Killzone 3 is so fucking bad. Red in every fucking direction. Just so bad.

My favorite has to be Psychonauts, Kingdom Hearts ( I would leave it at the start menu just to hear that damn song), of course Super Mario 64.

Chettlar

Banned
It would be wrong not to include the best menu that not only showed off the mysterious Halo ring, but it also had the best theme

Why did you have to do that? Now I'm getting chills just from listening to that. I can't believe it still does that to me. Halo 3's piano section with the cellos (about the third track that plays in the main menu I believe) is also excellent.

Maybe somebody should make a favorite and not so favorite Main menu Themes thread?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The Katamari Damacy games had some really cool openings. From the intro song video to the file select screen, it was pretty weird and cool for the time.

I'd love a HD rerelease of the Katamari series on one disc. (All PS2, PSP and 360 versions) I'd probably even buy a console for it. (Though a Steam version would be amazing.)

Soma

As far as just title screens go, I really loved Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne's.

mzuVxmy.jpg

Just so damn intimidating, a lot like the game itself.

Ricky 7

Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World
Zelda Ocaarina of Time
Metroid Prime
Xenoblade

These are the first ones that come to my head.

87731-pikmin-2-gamecube-screenshot-title-screens.png

Surprised this one wasn't mention especially with all the interactivity that were hidden in it. i also liked that zooming down the tree right before

Slixshot

Banned
Why did you have to do that? Now I'm getting chills just from listening to that. I can't believe it still does that to me. Halo 3's piano section with the cellos (about the third track that plays in the main menu I believe) is also excellent.

Maybe somebody should make a favorite and not so favorite Main menu Themes thread?

It puts a smile on my face watching that video. God, that game means a lot to me and my childhood. Big part of my gaming past. Lol and as I type this, I'm realizing I'm going to have to eventually buy an xbox one to play halo 5... great.

edit:
As far as just title screens go, I really loved Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne's.

mzuVxmy.jpg

Just so damn intimidating, a lot like the game itself.

DAYUM.

klinkcow

Neo Member
While I think that ICO and Shadow of the Colossus had great menus respectively, I thought the ICO & Shadow of the Colossus HD collection was brilliant. Not the still shot of each game, but how they connected the two games:

ICO's side looked like this:
screen-shot-2014-01-28-at-5-23-00-pm.png

SOTC's side looked like this:
screen-shot-2014-01-28-at-5-23-21-pm.png

But Team Ico went ahead and connected the two worlds (
which we know happens in the fiction)
like this:

Video Link
image:
ViIpS.jpg

Top Bottom