• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favourite walking sound effect in a game?

Mman235

Half-Life 1 is one that sticks out for me, they're quite dynamic in terms of different sounds for the time, and, while they're quite exaggerated, it works with the relatively simple visuals to accentuate of atmosphere of certain areas. Such as echoing footsteps when you're in large chambers or airvents.

Also Thief, where they're pretty important to playing the game and way beyond almost anything else around that time (HL included).

With the exception of games that have pretty subdued ambience (like the Souls games) footsteps in general seem to be rarely prominent in newer games.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm not sure if they're my favorite, but for some reason the walking sound effect I always remember the most and always comes to mind when people mention walking sound effects is Silent Hill 1's for me. I don't know the specific reason why or looked too deep into it, but something about SH1's stepping sounds has always stood out to me.

silent hill

Jesus, was freaking ninja'd as I was typing that. And I thought I was the only one who these stood out for.

Caffeine

I'm not sure if they're my favorite, but for some reason the walking sound effect I always remember the most and always comes to mind when people mention walking sound effects is Silent Hill 1's for me. I don't know the specific reason why or looked too deep into it, but something about SH1's stepping sounds has always stood out to me.

Jesus, was freaking ninja'd as I was typing that. And I thought I was the only one who these stood out for.

lol I just recently replayed it and it was the first thing that stood out as well.

kogasu

I have, like, I guess a small obsession with walking sound effects or footstep sounds. By that, I just mean that I always listen for them everywhere in games and real life lol. Always liked the classic Resident Evil 1-3 and Silent Hill 1-3.

Zora_Link_3D.png

Gotta be the melodic, almost calliope-esque pitter-patter of Zora Link in Majora's Mask.

MooMilk2929

I like the walking sound when Christopher belmont walks at the beginning of every stage in castlevania 2: belmonts revenge.

Always liked the footsteps in the Soul Reaver games. I felt as though I could imagine the cold stone beneath Raziel's cloven feet.

I've always loved the sound effect when you walk on a hard surface (road, wood) in the first Silent Hill. I don't know why though.

Also the Minecraft walking on grass sound is just relaxing.

Zyrox

Dark Souls 3. Not your own (they are nice too) but the one of the Dancer of Boreal Valley. Love that subdued, sorta underwater sound.

Boney

Banned
Radiant Historia could drive a man crazy.

Huh, for some reason read it a negative.

Uhm I suppose OoT when there's echo on hard surfaces

HeelPower

Come to think of it,its one of the most important things in games.It adds to your sense of staisfaction when the movement animates and sounds good.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Come to think of it,its one of the most important things in games.It adds to your sense of staisfaction when the movement animates and sounds good.

I've actually been thinking about it a lot recently since I was working on a 2D horror game which has stepping sound effects. Very subtle detail most don't even think about if done right, but it adds a lot if done well even if people aren't fully conscious of it.

Salty Shogun

Neo Member
I've always wanted a thread for this lol. Definitely walking with knight armor in Dark Souls. The jangle of the armor is my absolute favorite

Top Bottom