• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your go-to chill out game?

rofif

Banned
If they will add a free roam bt less mode to Death Stranding, it might even surpass fuel in just roaming around

Dark Star

As weird as it sounds: It‘s Dark Souls.

I‘ve probably spent about 1500 hours with that game. I know it like the back of my hand, and it‘s still fun to go through.

I must have tried any build imaginable by now, but starting from scratch still feels like I‘m the underdog in this world of Lordran... even though I basically just walk through anything. It‘s still a thrill to me to be able to do that.

100% this.

I find Souls games to be very therapeutic/relaxing/cathartic, especially farming souls in Bloodborne. They just scratch that itch for me after a long day at work, I find comfort in the adrenaline rush of taking down a boss. But I know most people find them to be difficult and anxiety inducing lol.

Last edited:

Dark Star

I enjoy "walking simulators" like Detroit : Become Human, where your choices impact the story. There's something special about Detroit especially, since I've replayed it 4-5 times already, getting slightly different endings and uncovering "secret" endings that you won't get unless you focus on a specific character.

For example, arams in LoL, modding skyrim, or autochess. Death stranding was pretty chill too. Everything while listening to podcasts/videos

TT Isle Of Man: Ride on the Edge
It's very relaxing with some good music on.
I've always liked bikes and tt is the only remaining motorcycle race for real men.
But I do have to admit, while I love superbikes, I never had the money to afford one.
In reality I do own one of those chinese 50cc scooters.
baotian-bt-49-cm3-slika-11958639.jpg

-Arcadia-

Banned
I bought Minecraft when it was in alpha. Back when Notch live streamed the development but i've lost that login. I was looking to get it recently but it's far more expensive and there are many different versions. I suppose the price hike is because of it's popularity and hopefully lots of extra content added since the alpha but what version should i go for? How does the switch version compare to the pc version?

Also, Animal Crossing rocks!

I’m just a Minecraft casual, so I can’t really help you too much, but I’m going to try. I do play the Switch version, and I love it. I heard that it was having performance issues last year or something, but that a major update cleaned all of that up. RN, it looks and runs great.

Potential downsides I’ve heard of? When you enter a server so dense with player creations, that something like a to-scale city with interiors and things everywhere, or more, has been built, performance takes a big drop. At least it was that way at launch.

Likewise, all console versions (almost all known as Bedrock edition) lag behind the PC releases a bit in features. Not much, but noticeably.

As far as PC releases, I tracked this down. Hopefully this helps you. Looks like Java Edition is the best way to go?

For what it’s worth, I love the Switch version. Handheld is a wonderful addition to a game that’s so pick-up-and-play, with so much to do that you could literally spend thousands of hours in it.

(Also of note, I believe that any version of Bedrock Edition can seamlessly transfer saves to each other — so you could play the Switch handheld, or load your same game up on the TV with your Xbox)

Katsura

I’m just a Minecraft casual, so I can’t really help you too much, but I’m going to try. I do play the Switch version, and I love it. I heard that it was having performance issues last year or something, but that a major update cleaned all of that up. RN, it looks and runs great.

Potential downsides I’ve heard of? When you enter a server so dense with player creations, that something like a to-scale city with interiors and things everywhere, or more, has been built, performance takes a big drop. At least it was that way at launch.

Likewise, all console versions (almost all known as Bedrock edition) lag behind the PC releases a bit in features. Not much, but noticeably.

As far as PC releases, I tracked this down. Hopefully this helps you. Looks like Java Edition is the best way to go?

For what it’s worth, I love the Switch version. Handheld is a wonderful addition to a game that’s so pick-up-and-play, with so much to do that you could literally spend thousands of hours in it.

(Also of note, I believe that any version of Bedrock Edition can seamlessly transfer saves to each other — so you could play the Switch handheld, or load your same game up on the TV with your Xbox)
Thank you!

SleepDoctor

Banned
It was ufc 3.... till got to the top 20 on the leaderboards. People were really hating me and it got really competitive lol.

xenoriddley

For me, I always end up going back to Pieces on the SNES. I don't know what it is about it, but I've always loved that game. The music is fun and relaxing, the gameplay is fun and you can take your time with it. There's plenty of variety in the puzzles as well!

Meesh

Animal Crossing...
A Night in the Woods.
Ocarina of Time.

Those games really chill me out, I enjoy them for the differences between them all but with the same result.
Animal crossing for my collecting habits and creative aspect, A Night in the Woods for the story and relaxed pacing, Ocarina of time for light action and fantasy. (Also nostalgia)

Anki

Banned
From classic games its Donkey Kong Country 2 and 3. I always play them during winter time. And from modern games its usually Dark Souls 3.

Orta

Banned
Astrobot. Beautiful environments, horrendously catchy music, ease of play, adorable character and just plain fun from beginning to end.

Good topic. I am getting into the nitty gritty of Nioh and need a break sometimes. Have been trying to play story focused games like Steins Gate Elite and Trails of Cold Steel. Anyone know of a good action type game that is fun and easy with a refreshing environment? Yakuza 0 kind of fit the bill for me but I am already finished with that game.

Trying out new mods in Fallout or making new textures for the game. Every now and then I find a texture that hasn't had a high-res/4K replacement mod yet and I'll fix it, or I'll take something that has been and improve on it some more.

Merlot

Neo Member
My go-to chillout game used to be Cities Skylines, until i got hooked with Final Fantasy XIV. Now that is my chill game

Usually I play 3D platformers or easy 2D platformers with happy themes when I need to chill. Like Mario Sunshine, Banjo & Kazooie some Snes Disney/Capcom games. No emo/edgy and no high brown themes. If they put a weapon in the mascot, like Ratchet and Clank, it is already out of the chill category!

c1188265d699e7b6f14c65c42cd3dba7297fb83fbc16c9fed266bfaf3df6edc3.jpg
You & me both. 💯

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
TT Isle Of Man: Ride on the Edge
It's very relaxing with some good music on.
I've always liked bikes and tt is the only remaining motorcycle race for real men.
But I do have to admit, while I love superbikes, I never had the money to afford one.
In reality I do own one of those chinese 50cc scooters.
baotian-bt-49-cm3-slika-11958639.jpg
i reported you to the correct authorities i hope the mods on neogaf won't share your data to the police

Last edited:

JayK47

Poker Night 2 from Telltale Games is very laid back and relaxing for me. Boots up quick and you can play a few hands for about 30 minutes. Too bad we will not see any more Poker Night games.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I’m surprised at how many Gaffers chill out with difficult, or really action-heavy games. That isn’t something I would have expected at all, but cool all the same. Is it kind of based on getting into a zen state with all the challenge?

Top Bottom