• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your least favorite 95+ Metacritic game from the 7th generation?

Phediuk

Only 15 games were rated that high throughout the entire generation. Here's all of them, in alphabetical order:

Batman: Arkham City
Bioshock
Grand Theft Auto 4
Grand Theft Auto 5
The Last of Us
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
LittleBigPlanet
Mass Effect 2
The Orange Box
Portal 2
Red Dead Redemption
Skyrim
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Uncharted 2

Which one did you like the least?

I'd have to go with LittleBigPlanet here (runner-up being Twilight Princess.) I really wanted to like that game, but I just didn't like how it controlled, felt too sluggish and floaty, and the user-made levels were the sorts of things that were cool to sift through for maybe an hour until the novelty wore off. It was nice that they made all these overtures to the community, and made them an integral part of the game, but the levels were just never that interesting; they'd have gimmicks that were kind of interesting, the first time, sort of, but they were always wrapped in the same core gameplay I didn't like. Just a dull game, at least for me. Didn't even play the sequel.

It did have a great soundtrack though.

How about you, GAF?

Toki767

GTA IV. It just seems like the one that stands out the most as not belonging as much as the others to me.

bigkrev

How the fuck is Arkham City that high and Arkham Origin is not?!?

My answer is Skyrim, but I hated the previous Elder Scroll games (they just aren't my thing), and this did nothing to change that

BibiMaghoo

Of those I played, the Orange Box.

Couldn't get into anything other than portal, which lasted not long at all. A bad purchase.

Red Dead Redemption. Easiest answer I've ever had to give.

Also, Grand Theft Auto IV deserved the score it got. Come at me, yo.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Red Dead. It's the only game on that list I didn't complete.

I just hated the controls and the feeling of just being a gopher instead of meaningful events taking place.

GTA IV was definitely was one of the best games at the time in terms of story, online, open world, etc. Definitely deserved the score it got...

And from what I remember, everyone on this site LOVED it when it came out.

ito007

of all the ones i played, it would be little big planet. level editing was a ton of fun, but i have to knock the imprecise platforming. you had to design a whole level around that imprecision too, which made it all the more annoying

I think I'd also go with LittleBigPlanet. I'm pretty surprised that game rated THAT highly. 95? I mean it was doing some cool things - the level creator was awesome - but the core platforming itself is too loose and
floaty
if you ask me. That's a pretty big part of a platormer.

I also think LBP2/LBP Vita were better games than the first one was.

culafia

Some of my favorite games are in that list (I'll be the first to say GTA IV deserves its reign as a metacritic king)

No games I have a problem with per say.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
LittleBigPlanet

Those two seem about 15 points too high by my very personal standards. 80ish or so..

Veitsev

GTAIV. Its not close. A game that flawed getting that high reviews is a testament to just how fucked up games journalism is.

Jolkien

It has to be Skyrim in this list. First Elder Scroll game I played, bought into the hype. I grew bored moving from place to place only to stumble upon lair filled with the same type of monster over and over again. The main storyline was ok but it was nothing spectacular for me. I found the gameplay was average at best the bow and the sneak attack is way too overpowered I couldn't believe I one shotted a dragon this way.

I get why so many people still play this with the huge mod community, in the end the game wasn't for me and I should've researched it more instead of blindly picking it up.

Its a toss up between GTAIV and LBP... i'd say GTAIV because I actually pretty much hated it, whereas I didnt think LBP was bad, just not a 95+ rated game

Grand Theft Auto 4, Twilight Princess, and Little Big Planet. Skyrim was very disappointing on so many levels, but I still had an okay time playing it.

Top Bottom