• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your least favorite 95+ Metacritic game from the 7th generation?

Shogun1337

Wasn't MGSIV up there? But I guess immense post-release bitching brought that down...

Edit: Mass Effect 2, easily.

I played:

Bioshock
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
LittleBigPlanet
The Orange Box
Portal 2
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2

LBP was my least-favorite of those. It's adorable to run through once or twice, and people made some cute stuff, but the actual running and jumping didn't feel too good.

culafia

How the fuck is Arkham City that high and Arkham Origin is not?!?

Games don't exist in bubbles. If you simply build on something in an iterative, uninspired way, even if technically better, it does not and should not get better scores.

Fractal

Banned
Uncharted 2, easily. As far as I'm concerned, it's all flash, no substance. Great production values and visuals (for the PS3 standards), though sadly, the gunplay is very unsatisfying, while the last few levels, including the boss, can only be described as a total mess.

How the fuck is Arkham City that high and Arkham Origin is not?!?

Arkham City perfectly refined AA's gameplay formula, while adding enough to feel fresh, new and exciting. Arkham Origins, meanwhile, was an AC clone with arguably worse graphics, a simplified/more boring art-style, and more bugs than an ant's nest. Not to mention that it felt rushed and also like it was a way around the fact that (major spoilers for AC right here)
the Joker died at the end of AC

Eusis

I haven't played all of them.
I have though, which probably leaves me in a reasonably good position to voice in (and were there really no handheld games there?)

Anyways, Little Big Planet. Just kinda bored me though I had some fun with others, and while I pick at Uncharted 2 at times that's more due to how highly it's been vaunted while Demon's Souls better represented what I wanted out of games from those released in 2009. LBP though was like a 70-range platformer with a lot of novel creation ideas, so being THAT high just isn't something I can agree with.

Out of that entire list, Skyrim by a country mile

And I modded that shit out and played it for hundreds of hours but once you're 'in' so to speak and you know the game mechanics and loot like the back of your hand, holy shit it becomes so apparent just how vapid and terrible the underlying mechanics usually are in open world Beth games

How the FUCK does Skyrim merit being one of the highest rated games of all time sheesh

Second would probably be LBP, I've never really gotten into it all that much and I couldn't stand the platforming.

And the third, GTA IV, for reasons already stated

coldone

Batman: Arkham City - Graphics. Unreal engine made it feel blah.
Bioshock - Same issue. Unreal engine, very low FOV. I get sick very quickly
Mass Effect 2 - Aweful controls

Loved, but dont think the game deserves all the woo hah
- The Orange Box - Portal 2
- GTA4 - Graphics were very PS2 ish
- LBP - Floaty physics

Best of the bunch
- Red Dead Redemption
- GTAV
- Uncharted 2. Loved the replyablity and un-lockables.

bobawesome

The Orange Box is really the only thing I didn't care for. Portal was the only redeeming game and even then it fell short.

AN4RCHID

Neo Member
These are the ones I didn't really like:

Batman: Arkham City
Bioshock
Grand Theft Auto 4
Grand Theft Auto 5
The Last of Us
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
LittleBigPlanet
Mass Effect 2
The Orange Box
Portal 2
Skyrim
Uncharted 2

Ascenion

The Last of Us followed by if not tied with GTA IV. Just didn't care for either and neither was as groundbreaking as the hype claimed.

Angry Fork

Red Dead Redemption
Mass Effect 2
Zelda

All of them I found highly boring. I don't really like the Mario Galaxy series either but they have their moments at least.

Skyrim for sure. Being a Fallout 3/NV addict, I thought it would be right up my alley. I've tried numerous times to get into it, but I just can't.

Musolf815

Grand Theft Auto IV for sure. It may be because I played it the same day I bought RDR (a few weeks after it came out I think) and it aged really badly. It's fun for rampages but that's all I enjoyed about it.

REV 09

Didn't play Nintendo stuff. Other than that, Gta IV or LBP. I don't think the Orange Box should be there either, but Gta was probably the worst.

faridmon

I only played Super Mario Galaxy and The Last of Us from that list.
I guess I don't go with hype meter and Metacritic.

EDIT: Oh and GTA V but I didn't past the 2 hour mark because the controls were freaking annoying!

I think all of them are deserved of their score. Also it's pretty thin list huh? thought it would be bigger.

It would be really cool to know why people think such and such aren't deserving of the score.

Probably Mass Effect 2. It's astounding that a game with such clunky ass shooting mechanics was so revered at release.

Also, I'm sure this thread will be very productive.

daman824

Little big planet has a higher than 95 metascore? Yikes.... maybe metacritic is broken.

Ignoring lbp, I'm gonna go with Uncharted 2. Bullet sponge enemies and very mediocre combat can't be saved by great writing. Game falls apart near the end too.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Definitely GTA IV.

Such a fucking shitty game. The reviews were absolutely disgusting, and I never quite got over how obviously biased they were.

LBP having 95+ Metacritic is a joke too. All of the remaining games, including GTA V, are amazing, though.

Feindflug

Wow...there's a lot of overrated games in there even though I played and enjoyed the majority of them.

I've played everything on that list except Skyrim and my least favorites are LBP, The Last of Us & GTAIV. If I had to choose one then it's easily LBP, I didn't like this game at all.

casnix

I've never been into the GTA series. So I'm going to say GTA 4. All great games but that would be my least favorite for sure.

Danny-Boy

I've played and own all those games. The answer is easy for me.....Twilight Princess. I don't know how the average score got that high. It bored me to tears. It's by far the worst console Zelda game I've played. I'd give it a 7 at best. The only reason I still own is because it's part of my Zelda collection.

Top Bottom