• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your thoughts about Nintendo Switch so far?

nordique

Off the top of my head, the GBA had a bunch of SNES ports/remakes (the SNES was a console, not a handheld), the DS did too and the 3DS had it's fair share. The PSP started the PS1 classics thing which carried over to the Vita and the Vita had some PS2 ports/remakes as well.

So to me, playing console games on a handheld is just not new and I'll bet it isn't new for you either.

Interestingly, would you say that Mario Kart 7 is better than say Mario Kart 64 or Super Mario Kart? Games made for handheld are not bite size cell phone games as of atleast the GBA.

I know you mean 'current gen console games' but really, why is THAT the qualifying factor? Are current gen games automatically better, i wouldn't say so.

That game was also released on the Wii U. Was it the game that made them feel like a kid again (a Wii U game) or was it the console?

I think you’re completely missing the point.

playing ps1 games on the go almost a decade after that system came out, is absolutely completely different than playing Witcher 3 and Breath of the Wild on the go.

By your logic, playing your NES console is the same as playing your PS4 console...i mean, they Both plug in to your TV right?

Again, this shouldn’t be a complex thing to understand, and it should be even less complex to understand why people enjoy the experience the switch offers them.

Last edited:
Reactions: jts
Again, this shouldn’t be a complex thing to understand, and it should be even less complex to understand why people enjoy the experience the switch offers them.

Everything is complex to understand when one refuses to do so, your only mistake here was arguing with someone that said "handhelds existed before!" to dismiss why someone would like the features in the Switch.

Zog

Banned
I think you’re completely missing the point.

playing ps1 games on the go almost a decade after that system came out, is absolutely completely different than playing Witcher 3 and Breath of the Wild on the go.

By your logic, playing your NES console is the same as playing your PS4 console...i mean, they Both plug in to your TV right?

Actually, I do see playing my NES in the same way as playing my PS4. I can have fun with both.

Is it hard to understand that I would rather play Chrono Trigger on my DS than a crappy current gen game on my Switch? Current gen games aren’t automatically better just because they are current gen.

So saying ‘it’s better than other handhelds because it plays current gen console games’ means nothing to me.

Last edited:

nordique

Everything is complex to understand when one refuses to do so, your only mistake here was arguing with someone that said "handhelds existed before!" to dismiss why someone would like the features in the Switch.

Im not trying to get into an argument (which unfortunately what is now happening) but I took the statement of "...an example of someone pretending gaming handhelds didn't exist before" to be asinine

Actually, I do see playing my NES in the same way as playing my PS4. I can have fun with both.

Is it hard to understand that I would rather play Chrono Trigger on my DS than a crappy current gen game on my Switch? Current gen games aren’t automatically better just because they are current gen.

So saying ‘it’s better than other handhelds because it plays current gen console games’ means nothing to me.

I don't find the Witcher 3 to be crappy myself.

But in the DS era, I could not play an Xbox 360 game or even a Wii game on that system. This is the key difference that the Switch offers, one can play a "current gen" game like Dragon Ball FighterZ or Doom 2016 on it, on the go. For me, playing these games on the go is an experience that has not been offered by a handheld system in the past.

You have current gen games, and that includes all of Nintendo's games.
Its not a port of Super Mario World on the GBA, and then you go home and play Mario Sunshine on the Gamecube...it is Mario Odyssey, the current and latest main-line Mario game on the Switch. It's not a Link to the Past port and then waiting for Twilight Princess on Gamecube, it's waiting for Breath of the Wild 2 on the Switch.

These are games I enjoy, that if my current life situation was such in 2003, I would not have been able to play the Gamecube games.

Does this make sense? The Switch offers something that has not really been offered before - this is Nintendo's "home console" as well as their "portable". So you get the latest and greatest offerings on it. You get the console quality titles, on the go. You also get a large catalogue of current gen ports, be they Indie or AAA, on the go. You can play Ori, on the go. You can play Doom 2016, on the go. Wolfenstein 2, on the go. No, I cannot play everything I want on the go but there are enough quality third party titles that I don't have time to play everything anyways.

I will be playing some Doom 2016 if I get some downtime tonight.
Unfortunately during the PSP's life span I could not play the then-current gen offering Doom 3 on it.
So for me, because I can now do that, what the Switch offers is awesome, I love the system, and if it didn't exist, I wouldn't be able to play through Doom 2016 for a few years yet. My Xbox One copy is still sitting with the first mission completed. I bought Doom Eternal and first level aside, I won't be able to play it. I bought Final Fantasy 7R because I loved the original and couldn't wait to play this, but the earliest I will be able to really sit down and play will be sometime after this pandemic demands I work less. Otherwise, I cannot really play on my PS4 or my Xbox One. This is why I purchased Doom and Witcher for my Switch.

And again, this is why I enjoy the Switch. It gives me an avenue to actually play through some of these games. This is important to me. Not a silly comparison to how older handhelds played very old ports of console games that were not in the same sphere as the current console offerings.

I hope one day I can return to the latest and greatest home console and PC gaming and have the time to really sink my teeth into them, but for now and the near future, the Switch lets me enjoy games that are both recent and on par with the latest home quality console games, that I can play on the go.

On that note, I think I will have to bow out of this back and forth Zog, we are not going to agree, and I have to return my attention to work. People like the Switch. People are not ignorant to handhelds never playing console games before. Context is key. Learn to respect what others enjoy, or at least communicate that in a respectful way.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
The game I imagine.
Yes, but also no. It's the experience that people are reminiscing about, like playing Mario 64 for the first time on N64, or LttP on SNES. Can't really replicate those feelings without the console itself existing.

Waiting for a better hardware iteration. The build quality and Joy-Con design are questionable, combined with the fact that there are not enough games that tempt me to purchase it. Besides, i've got an endless backlog on my PC that i can barely scratch by playing video games only on Sunday for a few hours.

I really like Nintendo, so once definitive "Pro" version comes along, i'll save up some money to get it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's a huge shame the thing don't have glass gorilla glass screen like every smartphone ever. Aside from that it's ok I guess

Saruhashi

Banned

Well that's the thing, isn't it? It's not just about you.

There are plenty of PS3 and XBOX 360 era games that are awesome that I never got the chance to play.
If those are offered on Switch then I have the opportunity to now play those games and the hybrid nature of the console gives me more chances to get time in with those games.

Even better if it's current gen games. Though I really feel like those are only worthwhile in handheld mode.

So I don't see how you can make the argument that I am "wrong".

There's more than one way to do a videogame console. Switch proves that.

Unfortunately this community is full of people who think there is only ONE way to do it and any kind of different perspective is automatically wrong.

Nintendo just jumping into the space between Sony and MS where they battle for teraflops and whatnot.

The space with normal people that just want to enjoy a few fun games.

But there are also some really good exclusives, stuff like Donkey Kong and Astral Chain, great gameplay and great graphics.

I say just get a PS4 and a switch and cover all bases.

CrysisFreak

Banned
Playing without a Pro Controller is masochism because Joycons are TRASH.
And even then the Pro Controller is flawed because of the triggers. It's also expensive...

BeardGawd

Banned
I have supremely enjoyed the switch since launch. Being able to play anywhere I want in the house has been a game changer.

I just wish there were less Wii U rehashes and more ground up Switch titles from Nintendo but that would be my only complaint.

Would love for MS or Sony to release a portable/console hybrid but I don't think that will ever happen unfortunately.

Yup. Nintendo is the Apple of gaming. They used to be amazing but now they pretty much only deal in peddling a ghostly reflection of what they used to be.

They are absolutely THE most Anti-Consumer company in gaming right now and they don't even try to hide it.

We're all talking about "Secret Sauce" in today's generation, but the ultimate secret sauce has been Nintendo's slogan of "All about gameplay" when literally everything about them (company, hardware, policy, software) completely flies in the face of this assertion.

- You get the absolute least amount of features in your hardware per $ spent on it.
- They're the most restrictive company as far as IP and legality goes (fan creations and content usage is notoriously bad)
- Even their first party titles generally omit the most basic of modern gameplay innovations
- Instead of features being locked behind DLC, they one-up that and make it even worse (locked behind limited-availability Amiibo toys)
- They refuse to lower the price of their first party titles, despite other companies who spend way more time/money/man hours developing games doing so
- They nickle-and-dime you for Virtual Console and have declared war on Emulation, even though their VC store literally has downloaded roms on it

Nintendo is a terrible company. I have no clue why so many people love them so much.

Honestly, the gripes about Switch are only 40% of my issues with Nintendo. The thing that pisses me off about them the most is just how shameless they are when it comes to PR and image, while in plain sight they stomp all over gamers each and every single fucking chance they get.
How could you forget worst fuck you consumer stance of them all that they have - dreaded joycon drift issue?

Imagine, just for a second, if Sony refused to fix DS4 fatal issue 3 years after release? They’d be torched on a stake. But not NN. Remember, they’re the good guys 😏

Zog

Banned
Yes, but also no. It's the experience that people are reminiscing about, like playing Mario 64 for the first time on N64, or LttP on SNES. Can't really replicate those feelings without the console itself existing.

The same game can be played on the Wii U. What about the Switch makes them feel like a kid? As others have pointed out, the Joy cons are shit controllers.

My point is that people WANT to praise Nintendo so they find something, anything they can praise even if it makes no sense. Nintendo has quite a hold on some people.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
Well that's the thing, isn't it? It's not just about you.

There are plenty of PS3 and XBOX 360 era games that are awesome that I never got the chance to play.
If those are offered on Switch then I have the opportunity to now play those games and the hybrid nature of the console gives me more chances to get time in with those games.

Even better if it's current gen games. Though I really feel like those are only worthwhile in handheld mode.

So I don't see how you can make the argument that I am "wrong".

There's more than one way to do a videogame console. Switch proves that.

Unfortunately this community is full of people who think there is only ONE way to do it and any kind of different perspective is automatically wrong.

I just think the Switch hype was over the top. There is nothing that the Switch does that hasn't been done before. Vita had remote play and handheld gaming is not new. The Switch made an existing task better, that's all. They weren't even the first to connect controllers to a tablet.

I also think that the hype has given Nintendo a free pass for bad design decisions and anti-consumer behavior (like the joy con problems).

MagnesG

Banned
I just think the Switch hype was over the top. There is nothing that the Switch does that hasn't been done before. Vita had remote play and handheld gaming is not new. The Switch made an existing task better, that's all. They weren't even the first to connect controllers to a tablet.

I also think that the hype has given Nintendo a free pass for bad design decisions and anti-consumer behavior (like the joy con problems).
See WiiU.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Switch was my first new console purchase since the SNES and i love it. the games are just incredible, Mario Odyssey and BOTW both system-selling first party classics worthy of the lineage. the library is a little slim but so many incredible releases have come out that are essential. the SNES/NES games are a nice addition. all in all, i'm VERY happy and will be purchasing a Switch Pro or whatever the next version of the console is. great stuff.

the weird controllers, i think it's a nice gimmick, and i fell in love with them very quickly after i first started playing. there is something very freeing about not having to hold a huge brick in your hands. the joycons are so unobtrusive and light, i really love them.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Lol I'm spending most of my time on it for utube and snes super Mario world. Portability is legit for playing older snes games as well as Mario kart.

MagnesG

Banned
You are going to have to explain that.
My bad.

I just don't understand how an over the top hype can suddenly relates to the console maker getting a free pass? An overrated hype like you said are actually able to negate things? Like WiiU? I mean that's literally the definition of WiiU unlike the Switch.

Also naw Nintendo had always do their own thing even with our feedback, whining or even backlash from us. There's no free pass or anything, it's just that people could fulfill what's enjoying to them from their purchase, the console works reasonably and the games are good. I think that's extremely easy to comprehend. Other things like online stuffs can't suddenly negate people's enjoyment of anything else.

Zog

Banned
My bad.

I just don't understand how an over the top hype can suddenly relates to the console maker getting a free pass? An overrated hype like you said are actually able to negate things? Like WiiU? I mean that's literally the definition of WiiU unlike the Switch.

Also naw Nintendo had always do their own thing even with our feedback, whining or even backlash from us. There's no free pass or anything, it's just that people could fulfill what's enjoying to them from their purchase, the console works reasonably and the games are good. I think that's extremely easy to comprehend. Other things like online stuffs can't suddenly negate people's enjoyment of anything else.
The Wii U doesn’t have badly designed controllers that malfunction in a short time. The Gamepad (like it or not) is more comfortable to hold and use for long periods compared to the Switch in handheld mode. The Wii U pro controller has a better dpad.

The Wii U was also not hyped up like the Switch was. The Wii U has free online play and a virtual console with GBA and DS games. IMO the Wii U has the better eShop and a better UI. Nintendo won’t even implement folders in the Switch.

So what bad design do you see with the Wii U?

SALMORE

it doesn't feels like a Nintendo console anymore , am enjoying it don't get me wrong but it feels like a portable system that can plays Nintendo games

Moogle11

Banned
I mean everything gets over hyped by fanboys and people just over the top in their love of their gadgets.

But the main thing that makes the Switch so great for a lot of people is how seamless it is to play the same games on their TV and on the go. There's been ways to play portable games on TV before, but most were clunky (think the Vita or PSP had a cable) or required other hardware like the GBA add on for Gamecube or the Vita TV etc. For people that game on their TV, other places around their house, on public transit etc. it's no doubt great to be able to play something like BOTW on their TV and just grab it out of the dock and keep playing when they get on the bus to work, or to keep playing when someone else wants to use the TV etc.

Is it some hugely novel innovation? Of course not. But it's a pretty nifty feature for people who have a use for it. But of course it's totally useless to people who only game on TV, and especially those who care about having more powerful hardware and better graphics etc. But also nice for the portable only crowd to have a relatively powerful handheld option still after Vita failed and Sony/MS seem uninterested in competing with Nintendo in the handheld space.

Point being, yeah fanboys over hype thing and that can be annoying. But it's easy to see why some really do just love it as it fits their specific gaming needs. Same is true for PS4, Xbox One and PC. It's great to have variety in hardware features as it makes it easier for more people to find a way to game that fits their needs.

MagnesG

Banned
The Wii U doesn’t have badly designed controllers that malfunction in a short time. The Gamepad (like it or not) is more comfortable to hold and use for long periods compared to the Switch in handheld mode. The Wii U pro controller has a better dpad.

The Wii U was also not hyped up like the Switch was. The Wii U has free online play and a virtual console with GBA and DS games. IMO the Wii U has the better eShop and a better UI. Nintendo won’t even implement folders in the Switch.

So what bad design do you see with the Wii U?
You can get comfy with the design over time imo, but mostly everything about WiiU is just wrong from the start. It was marketed wrong ( mistaken a Wii expansion, cringe commercials), ugly and bulky gamepad when looked from afar no matter how cozy it is (needs modern design), and a classic home console competing with their big daddies PS4/Xbone. WiiU Pro Controller did nothing wrong.

I mean people also don't suddenly waste their money on mass buying a console nearing 50 millions just from hype. The hype was justified, and WiiU was "not hyped" because it was unappealing and launched with no enticing gimmicks that just works for consumers. Switch as a hybrid console is a swansong for handheld players for example, especially those who had been craving on getting their promise of actual full-on console games since Vita Killzone / MGS ports. Also consider the install base of abandoned Vita/PSP + 3ds, where do they go from here if not to the Switch?

Online play is a good remark even if $12 per year is nothing to swallow. VCs won't move consoles because we have a whole lot of alternatives to that (actually playing on said console itself) - even BCs had nothing to offer in terms of mass affecting console sales, anecdotes be damned. Yes WiiU had better eShop and UIs but also slower, and like folders, these are nothing in the grand scheme of things.

I'm just rambling the obvious and common knowledge at this point.

Kagero

Loved it at first, but ended up selling it recently mainly because I could still get a good return for it. Also began to really hate the thumb sticks and under powered graphics. Can’t wait for a hardware update though. I essentially want every game to look crisp. No more blurry crap.

Jooxed

Gold Member
I wish the regular Switch had the Lite buttons. I prefer my Switch, but my wife's Lite feels so good in my hands.

whynotboth.gif

My OG switch stays docked at all times and I used my lite for handheld. Screen looks crisper and I like the way it feels also. Only thing that sucks so far is Animal Crossing. I don't even mind Splatoon and Pokemon it just takes a couple seconds to send the games back and forth.

Appleprosy

whynotboth.gif

My OG switch stays docked at all times and I used my lite for handheld. Screen looks crisper and I like the way it feels also. Only thing that sucks so far is Animal Crossing. I don't even mind Splatoon and Pokemon it just takes a couple seconds to send the games back and forth.

I like the OG in handheld and prefer the bigger screen.

Imagine, just for a second, if Sony refused to fix DS4 fatal issue 3 years after release? They’d be torched on a stake. But not NN. Remember, they’re the good guys 😏

I know you think your comment is original, but it isn't. Eventually every discussion about Nintendo devolves about how evil they are and how they're fans are more prone to deny the horrible truth than the true and honest Sony fans or whatever absolutely moronic shit you're implying. Truth is, corporations are evil by default. None of them want what's best for you, it's only about maximizing profits and that's part of our life. We're all adults here, we know how the world works. When people defend Nintendo, it's about their creative output which has been unmatched for nearly 40 years. Nobody enjoys their business acumen or whatever, but rather their games and the hardware to play these games. So yeah, I know you think you're styling on fools, but you're offering a really stale bad take that doesn't reflect how Nintendo fans view the company.

LordKasual

Banned
Don't get mad at me for saying this, but... I actually sense in you someone who would rather like Nintendo and their games. You're just fed up with their anti-consumer tactics.

I think a lot of us so-called Nintendo fanboys are perfectly fine with airing our grievances about Nintendo.

I will say that there is one good thing about their game prices. If you like to buy the games near release, you will normally get a healthy chunk of that back if you sell when done. I got like $40 each off of my Wii U games when I unloaded them at GameStop. That funded the first year of my owning a Switch.

Well I own a Switch, and i've always distanced their game development studios from the actual company. So yeah I already like their games, Breath of the Wild is one of my favorite games of this generation. That said, their first-party games are far from perfect.

The biggest gripe i have with 1st-party Nintendo games is that they are extremely stagnant. Like.....look at a game like Resident Evil 2/3 Remake or Final Fantasy VII Remake. The whole concept of those games is recreating nostalgia with a completely fresh coating of modern innovation and application of technology. Now look at a game like Pokemon Sword & Shield. A brand-new title that is marketed as such, yet is essentially a slightly upgraded recreation of the same game everyone's been playing on handhelds for the last 2 decades.

Everyone praises Nintendo for "being all about gameplay" and "only focusing on what matters", and spinning a bunch of "Graphics aren't everything / horsepower isn't everything / innovations aren't everything" but all that really translates to is, "You guys liked this thing we did 20-25 years ago, so we're going to give it to you again, for the 12th time, nearly unchanged."

And then everyone praises them for having "solid games", but alot of the time that just equates to "extremely safe with minimal risks to formula". Mix in some nostalgia and bam, 9-10/10 reviews, "SO CHARMING", "polished gameplay". Meanwhile, other developers are actively pushing hardware to try new concepts and design paradigms. "Unstable framerate", "Stagnant gameplay", "TOO EASY / NOT CHALLENGING", "NOT ENOUGH CONTENT", "We've seen this before", 7/10 average game.

it's just annoying to sit back and watch for so many years. They consistently get away with murder.

How could you forget worst fuck you consumer stance of them all that they have - dreaded joycon drift issue?

it's okay because they sacrificed ergonomics, input precision, functionality and longevity to create the ultimate "for gamers" controller that is only good at playing 5 games!

It's like people go out of their way to find a reason to praise Nintendo. For example, people acting like this is the first time they were able to play games on the go even though they have likely owned atleast one Gameboy, DS, 3DS, PSP or Vita. People just have a soft spot for Nintendo and Nintendo takes advantage of this.

I think taking advantage of that is literally their entire PR strategy.

I'd say the place Nintendo really excels at is marketing. That's why i call them the Apple of gaming

Last edited:

BigBooper

Just ordered a lite because I still think there's a possibility of a non portable Switch which will be cheaper and the Lite is cheaper and will be easier to sell in the future if I want.

I had a launch Switch and liked the OS focus on games, but at the time there was only three games I was interested in and one of them I ended up hating. Now, I'm more interested in some third party and indie games being portable, plus the newer first party games.

StormCell

Well I own a Switch, and i've always distanced their game development studios from the actual company. So yeah I already like their games, Breath of the Wild is one of my favorite games of this generation. That said, their first-party games are far from perfect.

The biggest gripe i have with 1st-party Nintendo games is that they are extremely stagnant. Like.....look at a game like Resident Evil 2/3 Remake or Final Fantasy VII Remake. The whole concept of those games is recreating nostalgia with a completely fresh coating of modern innovation and application of technology. Now look at a game like Pokemon Sword & Shield. A brand-new title that is marketed as such, yet is essentially a slightly upgraded recreation of the same game everyone's been playing on handhelds for the last 2 decades.

Everyone praises Nintendo for "being all about gameplay" and "only focusing on what matters", and spinning a bunch of "Graphics aren't everything / horsepower isn't everything / innovations aren't everything" but all that really translates to is, "You guys liked this thing we did 20-25 years ago, so we're going to give it to you again, for the 12th time, nearly unchanged."

And then everyone praises them for having "solid games", but alot of the time that just equates to "extremely safe with minimal risks to formula". Mix in some nostalgia and bam, 9-10/10 reviews, "SO CHARMING", "polished gameplay". Meanwhile, other developers are actively pushing hardware to try new concepts and design paradigms. "Unstable framerate", "Stagnant gameplay", "TOO EASY / NOT CHALLENGING", "NOT ENOUGH CONTENT", "We've seen this before", 7/10 average game.

it's just annoying to sit back and watch for so many years. They consistently get away with murder.

it's okay because they sacrificed ergonomics, input precision, functionality and longevity to create the ultimate "for gamers" controller that is only good at playing 5 games!

I think taking advantage of that is literally their entire PR strategy.

I'd say the place Nintendo really excels at is marketing. That's why i call them the Apple of gaming

I may not agree with all of what you've said, but you're not wrong about the current Nintendo. Didn't we read recently that their internal design motto has become something like "peace of mind." There's a very fine line between uncomplicated and low effort (especially when talking about features and UI). The exclusion of even text chat or game invites on Switch is something I can begrudgingly categorize as simpler and less prone to misuse. The exclusion of more OS themes or even background colors is just low effort.

I don't know what to make of their video games. They make some really good stuff. BotW is one. I wouldn't say Odyssey is offering the same thing for the 12th time, but I would say the game was rushed and deserved better DLC for a main game that feels so short. They don't necessarily take big risks, but then Mario is in a bunch of stuff. What does he not do? People keep asking for more mainline Mario, and so they go to the drawing board and try to come up with something that is either new or has some sort of twist. The only way to not make that 12th mainline Mario is to just not make the Mario. Or they could make Resident Luigi and some blood-thirsty goombas... I digress.

buizel

Banned
I may not agree with all of what you've said, but you're not wrong about the current Nintendo. Didn't we read recently that their internal design motto has become something like "peace of mind." There's a very fine line between uncomplicated and low effort (especially when talking about features and UI). The exclusion of even text chat or game invites on Switch is something I can begrudgingly categorize as simpler and less prone to misuse. The exclusion of more OS themes or even background colors is just low effort.

I don't know what to make of their video games. They make some really good stuff. BotW is one. I wouldn't say Odyssey is offering the same thing for the 12th time, but I would say the game was rushed and deserved better DLC for a main game that feels so short. They don't necessarily take big risks, but then Mario is in a bunch of stuff. What does he not do? People keep asking for more mainline Mario, and so they go to the drawing board and try to come up with something that is either new or has some sort of twist. The only way to not make that 12th mainline Mario is to just not make the Mario. Or they could make Resident Luigi and some blood-thirsty goombas... I digress.

Yeah they're the Apple of gaming

Switch OS annoys me. Is it true you need friend codes again to play with someone? No text chat is a joke. People mocked Mario Kart DS for not having text chat in 2004. Many 3rd party DS games ended up having text and voice chat (almost all PSP games did for comparison).

UPDATE 4.0 NEW FOLDER ICONS wow

S0ULZB0URNE

Initially was good but has really started to show it's age visually so I sold it and hope for a more powerful version that can enhance my BOTW etc.

Zog

Banned
Breath of the Wild is very good and it's not worth arguing that Nintendo needs to consider graphics.
It could have been better if it weren't on the Switch. The second screen features were stripped when it was moved to the Switch.
Initially was good but has really started to show it's age visually so I sold it and hope for a more powerful version that can enhance my BOTW etc.

I'm not a graphics person (I just ordered Pokemon Gold on eBay) but I do wonder what will happen once the next gen consoles launch.

Last edited:

Lukin1978

I haven't bought one yet probably won't.
I bought a Wii hardly used it I bought a Wii-u hardly used it so I'm gonna sit this one out.

Camreezie

+ Amazing library of games
+ Optional Portsbility unlike Wii U

- Still missing basic features like Neflix
- VC is still not where it should be at
- Internal Storage ridiculously small n

I'm hoping for another two solid years of releases before they start moving on the next proper console but am assuming we will get another revision before then.

cireza

Also consider the install base of abandoned Vita/PSP + 3ds, where do they go from here if not to the Switch?
So Switch doesn't even have to be a good handheld ? Being the only handheld already seals the deal.

Wii U is a great system overall, well designed, respectful of the consumer, great services available from launch. Naming was not great, but that's pretty much all. It is also the last time we saw Nintendo actually being on par with Sony and Microsoft performance wise, with a console that could have multi-platform games that ran pretty much on the same level as the PS360 counterparts for a few years.

Switch was well marketed that's for sure, but if I did play Need for Speed Most Wanted or Sonic Racing Transformed on Wii U as I was having the same quality experience than on PS360, no way in hell will I play 30fps Sonic Racing or Sonic Forces or blurry as fuck Doom 2016 when I get versions that run so much better on Xbox One. Applies to all third party games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom