• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You're the Worst |OT| a great FXX comedy - Season 2 premieres Sept 9th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good episode. I can't get enough of Lindsay.
Her riff on motorcycle sidecars was great, too: “I’m not a sidekick! I’m Beyoncé, not Kelly Rowland. If I’m on a motorcycle, I’m driving the motorcycle, not riding in that shitty little side motorcycle thingy for poor people and dogs.”

chris121580

Her riff on motorcycle sidecars was great, too: “I’m not a sidekick! I’m Beyoncé, not Kelly Rowland. If I’m on a motorcycle, I’m driving the motorcycle, not riding in that shitty little side motorcycle thingy for poor people and dogs.”

She steals every scene she's in. So funny. I think an adjustment will need to be made with the character of Jimmy's roommate. He's just not very funny and doesn't really fit with the rest of the show.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

haha

“Like an experiment, but without the boring science part, like milligrams and elements and shit.”

If anyone wants it:

deZiR2X.jpg

Catching up with this and this show is hilarious. The Ferris bueller commentary blew my mind. Progressive flow being a bitch is hilarious. And dam Gretchen is cute as hell

Bladenic

Just started watching this show, on episode 3 and I love it.

Edit: is there a gif of the last part of episode 3? Was hilarious haha

Birbo

Just found out about this show and ended up binge watching all the episodes over the weekend. There are some things that seem a bit off about it, but all in all I really enjoyed it. Love it most when the characters are at their worst. And can't believe they're getting away with some of those sex scenes.

The leads are great, but like others have mentioned, Edgar seems a bit out of place. He acts like a weird inbred version of Ross from Friends. Also, I know that Gretchen is the lead and is cute and charming, but something about Lindsay really turns me on.

Looking forward to more episodes.

Horseress

Man, I saw this thread a few days ago and gave the show a shoot: it's fantastic! Thanks a lot gaf!

Any other FX comedies to recommend? I already love It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Man, I saw this thread a few days ago and gave the show a shoot: it's fantastic! Thanks a lot gaf!

Any other FX comedies to recommend? I already love It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Archer and Louie are both great. (though their most recent seasons were disappointments imo) And if you want something less funny and darker then check out Wilfred.

beat

Married isn't bad. I think the first few episodes were uneven but the last couple have been solid, albeit still not as good as YTW.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I was feeling shades of Louis Tully* from Lindsay's husband, especially during the recumbent sequence.

Rick Moranis from Ghostbusters, come on!

beat

I was feeling shades of Louis Tully* from Lindsay's husband, especially during the recumbent sequence.

Rick Moranis from Ghostbusters, come on!
From some angles, Allan McLeod looks like a taller, older Michael Cera.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
That was probably the least funny episode but definitely the most emotional. Good stuff.

"You cheated on Paul? How can you even live with yourself?"

"I can't! I feel so bad I can't eat or watch any shows with adultery - that's all my shows!"

That's so true Lindsay. lol

I feel like I say it every week but I hope this continues. C'mon FX. Sheen's show, Legit, and even Wilfred kept going, please let this shine.

Am i the only one who caught that museum bit was done like The Usual Suspects? Or it's so obvious, that nobody mentioned it?

Yeah, it was. But I think I've seen more montages done like that over the years to capture a lie. Was nicely done though.

Really great episode. Certainly the best one yet. Both emotional and funny. And Lindsay really needs to get away from Paul, this can never work :p

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
I really enjoyed the latest episode. The show is catching its stride. The main cast really grew on me. And I really dug rich kid Gretchen. She looked super cute this episode.

I'm digging this and Married. Hope they both get a second season. I'm sure once these shows go on Netflix people will catch up for season 2. Also I'm still salty about FX canceling Terriers :/

I feel you Jimmy. That aimless feeling is real after you get dumped.

This show always throws in some interesting directorial decisions. Jimmy piecing together the betrayal after we know what's up with the fake, random parents was a instance of this shows flair for creativity. Loved it.

And that ring? Oh boy...

- Ryan McGee on You're the Worst for his weekly wrap-up article on Screen Crush
I have something called “The DVR Test” that helps me realize when I truly start caring about a show. Some programs I love right off the bat, and others I loathe just as equally. Most fall somewhere in between, which means I’ll watch as many episodes as I can when I can, without worrying too much about how close I watch them based on initial airing. Shows that sneak up on me pass The DVR Test when I flip on my TV, see a host of available options, and almost always pick a certain show out of the crop. And right now, FX’s comedy ‘You’re The Worst’ is straight killing my DVR test on a weekly basis.

(“If you like it so much, why don’t you watch it when it airs?” cries the masses. One: I’m old, and this show airs at 10:30 pm on Thursdays. Two: FX doesn’t care about overnight ratings, so I’m not shooting this show in the foot.)

Admittedly, I wasn’t a huge fan of the first two episodes, which seems to telegraph its narrative based on its premise. But a “will they/won’t they” promise quickly turned into “Why shouldn’t we?”, as primary characters Jimmy (Chris Geere) and Gretchen (Aya Cash) slowly realize that their plan for a meaningless physical relationship crumbles in the face of their incredible compatibility. While a nominally snarky show on the surface, “You’re The Worst” is incredibly sweet under its exterior crudeness, and the process through which the central pair continually choose “yes” when they historically chose “no” in their ongoing relationship is a complete pleasure.

To be honest, however, what really pushed the show from good to great lay in the program’s work in developing ancillary characters Edgar (Desmin Borges) and Lindsay (Kether Donahue), two people that realize they are the sidekicks in the Jimmy/Gretchen drama but still have goals and issues of their own. In Edgar, TV has a second great example of a PSTD military figure that goes against the normal, histrionic grain. (The other was Pete Hill in the late, lamented “Enlisted.”) In Lindsay, ‘You’re The Worst’ has a figure akin to Karen Walker on ‘Will & Grace,’ but with a sweet pathos underneath the brash exterior.

Comparing ‘You’re The Worst’ to ‘Will & Grace’ might sound like an insult to some. But that speaks to the sitcom tradition in which ‘You’re The Worst’ is deeply steeped, all outward trappings to the contrary. Rather than that being a flaw, it’s actually a strength, and suggested that breaking the mold in television isn’t necessarily as important as realizing what has always worked and simply adding a bit more to the puzzle. The show is one part rom-com, one part subtweet, one part YOLO, and all parts addictive. The season ends next week, so you still have time to catch up on it before the finale airs on September 18.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom