• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube alternatives?

GeekyDad

Do you have a preferred site?

Would love to find something along the lines of what Youtube was in yesteryears. Any recommendations?

Bored Nothing GIF

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
The reason that the user experience has become so much worse (adverts) is the exact same reason any decent content creator is on the platform (adverts $).

Last edited:
there's really none. i mean sure there are video sites out there but there's nothing even close to YouTube.

i've been trying to cut out YouTube recently but it's impossible unless you want to leave out your favorite YT channels and watch shitty random videos.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

there's really none. i mean sure there are video sites out there but there's nothing even close to YouTube.

i've been trying to cut out YouTube recently but it's impossible unless you want to leave out your favorite YT channels and watch shitty random videos.
Hmm...well, I know that's subjective, but when YT initially started (and for the first good while) it was pretty much all grassroots stuff. So, I'm kinda looking for something along those lines, see if I can't find a few gems.

Drew1440

Odysee - Has a good Linux/Tech community but videos can suffer from buffering issues
Rumble - Generally conservative and political, but this is starting to change with Russel Brand and Tulsi Gabbard joining the platform.
Bitchute - 2007-era wild west of Youtube
DailyMotion - More focused on mainstream media content, but a good and usable alternative to Youtube
Storyfire - This seems more in line with TikTok rather than Youtube but still worth checking out

VN1X

Banned
Do you have a preferred site?

Would love to find something along the lines of what Youtube was in yesteryears. Any recommendations?
Odysee of course.

With Double Trouble being exclusively streamed on there as well, soon:

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What about Youtube don't you like? If you're like me and hated all the ads and in-video sponsored segments, there are technical workarounds that can be put in place to get rid of all that junk.

GeekyDad

Odysee of course.

With Double Trouble being exclusively streamed on there as well, soon:
Hmm... the layout definitely seems very YT-ish. Definitely a viable option. Thanks.
What about Youtube don't you like? If you're like me and hated all the ads and in-video sponsored segments, there are technical workarounds that can be put in place to get rid of all that junk.
I like Youtube just find, and I don't see myself leaving it for something else. It's just a lot of the same thing. I think the algorithm is becoming so predictable that I can often get fatigued by it in terms of entertainment, etc. Plus, like I said, I would love to find a site where "off the beaten path" is at the forefront, like YT used to be. The stuff that tries to pass for that on YT is pretty transparent.

Both were liberals that have become conservative in the past few years. One was an elected official (Gabbard) and the other (Brand) a comedian. Both are in the influencer space these days.
I don't think that's entirely correct. The former left her party, but didn't join the other one. With the level of polarization right now, I can understand why people might assume leaving one means joining the other, though. And Brand I'm pretty sure still identifies as a liberal.

As to the question of a you tube alternative, it's sounding like Twitter is considering possibly bringing back Vine. It would make sense to do so, especially if they can monetize their own video content that way.

And speaking of you tube, did anyone else notice they intentionally broke even more functionality of their platform by no longer allowing users to sort videos from oldest to newest?

Last edited:

0neAnd0nly

What do you mean? "Yesteryears"?

YouTube is YouTube lol

You… uh… really think Youtube is the same today as it was in the beginning?

That’s like saying Amazon of the 90s is still Amazon of today.

YouTube was 1,000 a different platform in the first 1/4 of its time than today. Heck, I’m many ways the first 3/4 of its time.

Completely different animal now. Was I just an early adopter or something?

Back to the topic at hand, I use to watch a lot of videos of my hobbies on Vimeo. I always felt the video / visual quality was >>> YouTube in however they did it. But I figured out recently Vimeo has shifted away from being a public video upload site to a private? One. More of a business thing now, I guess.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
You… uh… really think Youtube is the same today as it was in the beginning?

That’s like saying Amazon of the 90s is still Amazon of today.

YouTube was 1,000 a different platform in the first 1/4 of its time than today. Heck, I’m many ways the first 3/4 of its time.

Completely different animal now. Was I just an early adopter or something?

Back to the topic at hand, I use to watch a lot of videos of my hobbies on Vimeo. I always felt the video / visual quality was >>> YouTube in however they did it. But I figured out recently Vimeo has shifted away from being a public video upload site to a private? One. More of a business thing now, I guess.

What are you, like 16 or something like that? You don't remember the types of videos and vibe on Youtube when it first came out?
Aside from the endless ad spam, the flood of reaction videos, and the cringe thumbnails explain to me how YouTube is vastly different from the way it was before.

At it's core it's still content driven by independent creators who are directly supported by their audiences.

Last edited:

Sophist

Odysee is nothing more than a mirror to Youtube. There is Facebook but not on par with Youtube.

Youtube hasn't changed much as a platform. The biggest change was probably the opening of the streaming service to all back in 2017 which is slowly but surely bringing in communities from twitch, NicoNicoVideo,.... Since Youtube Live has opened, NicoNicoVideo has lost 50% of its paid members.

Last edited:

Mistake

I’m personally a fan of Odysee. The UI is sleek and easy to use. You can also have multiple channels and switch between them better. I tried rumble, but the comment system isn’t nearly as good, and every new damn subscription signs me up for email notifications, even though my default is off.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Biggest thing is that if you have a supported device connected to your TV, install STube Next:

For iOS devices, install Yattee:

For android I recommend NewPipe x SponsorBlock:

Finally, for general PC browsing I use Invidious (which I've hosted myself, but there are public hosts as well):

Which I also combine with Privacy Redirect so that embedded Youtube videos and links all open in my Invidious instance:

Takes a bit of time to get everything set up obviously, and things like subscriptions copied over... but this set up even passes the "wife test" so it's one of those things that once it's all in place and working, it works really well. Literally haven't seen an ad on Youtube in a long while now regardless of which device I'm using. Sponsorblock is neato too because it'll just straight up skip sponsored segments in videos too (no matter how long or short they are). So if someone said "this video is sponsored by Raid: Shadow Legends", I'll only ever see a hard cut where that is totally removed.

Mistake

Odysee is nothing more than a mirror to Youtube. There is Facebook but not on par with Youtube.

Youtube hasn't changed much as a platform. The biggest change was probably the opening of the streaming service to all back in 2017 which is slowly but surely bringing in communities from twitch, NicoNicoVideo,.... Since Youtube Live has opened, NicoNicoVideo has lost 50% of its paid members.
I saw a lot more google/youtube advertisements in Japan than I ever saw in the US. Not surprised

Last edited:

kondorBonk

I want to pay for YouTube Premium. I honestly do. It would make using my smart TVs more of an option and if money is going to the content creators, that's fantastic. If it was reasonably priced, it would disappear into my monthly bills.

I'm sure so many people are in the same boat and scoff at the idea of YouTube asking the same as something like HBOmax. Whoever came up with this pricing structure must be leaving so much money on the table.

Tams

The main problem Odysee and Rumble is that they have an awful lot of cringe on them and content that the great masses really don't care for or like.

Tams

Biggest thing is that if you have a supported device connected to your TV, install STube Next:

For iOS devices, install Yattee:

For android I recommend NewPipe x SponsorBlock:

Finally, for general PC browsing I use Invidious (which I've hosted myself, but there are public hosts as well):

Which I also combine with Privacy Redirect so that embedded Youtube videos and links all open in my Invidious instance:

Takes a bit of time to get everything set up obviously, and things like subscriptions copied over... but this set up even passes the "wife test" so it's one of those things that once it's all in place and working, it works really well. Literally haven't seen an ad on Youtube in a long while now regardless of which device I'm using. Sponsorblock is neato too because it'll just straight up skip sponsored segments in videos too (no matter how long or short they are). So if someone said "this video is sponsored by Raid: Shadow Legends", I'll only ever see a hard cut where that is totally removed.

Seems like a lot of effort when a broswer like Vivaldi and one of the YouTube Chrome extensions will sort that all out for you.

Top Bottom