• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube announces support for 60fps videos

Cipherr

60 fps but at what resolution

There are some videos with really high res on Youtube lately. This one is 4k: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7itr_P3YqaY

I don't have a 4k monitor, but when I raise that trailers quality to 4k the image quality gets MUCH better. Toss 60fps on a video like that and it would look incredible.

The complaints regarding the bitrate are justified, but perhaps missing the wider implications. YouTube is mainstream while Gamersyde is not. There will be millions of gamers watching these 60fps videos, and they will be introduced to the vocabulary and visuals of high frame rates. I'm assuming there will be labels for 60fps footage. Once they're armed with that information they will be able to distinguish, appreciate, and demand high framerates in their games. In addition, due to the video compression, a locked 60fps is far more distinguishable in A/B video comparisons than more subtle additional graphical detail. Game developers now have an avenue and an incentive to market 60fps as a feature during the pre-release phase. Eventually, 60fps may eventually become an element of concern rather than an empty buzzword in the minds of mainstream consumers.

We can only hope.

Nintendo and other 60fps focused devs will benefit from this.

Indeed and this is good for gaming in general! Attention now will go to MOTION and other devs who used to focus on graphical fidelity in still shots will follow the lead of prioritizing 60 fps in their games.

Eusis

bububub they look the same

it will be the new HD
In some ways it already is, look at how many TVs have motion interpolation options.

However it will be great once it comes NATURALLY and not because of a hack job with very visible seams during movies. Only seems to be useful for sports perhaps when it comes to entertainment programming, and I don't really care about watching those. Especially as it may pave the way for TVs having 120 hz properly accessible for games rather than reserved for motion interpolation stuff, not that the options will be seen until next gen.

Paz

I'm not sure if people realize how much of a big deal this is, marketing is a huge part of why decisions get made on games and up until now the biggest platform for video content had been capped in such a way that you saw no benefits from marketing a 60fps game.

It won't happen instantly but I think this will have a huge long-term impact.

daninthemix

Will they achieve this by doubling the existing bitrate? Surely they can't apportion half per frame - videos will look awful.

Boss Mog

I guess they put it off as long as they could (due to the increased bandwidth costs), but they eventually have to join the 21st century.

Sendou

I'm not sure if people realize how much of a big deal this is, marketing is a huge part of why decisions get made on games and up until now the biggest platform for video content had been capped in such a way that you saw no benefits from marketing a 60fps game.

It won't happen instantly but I think this will have a huge long-term impact.

I hope you are right. Although I see how it easily could be a big deal.

ZeroX03

Banned
Do you have to convert to VP9 to get 60FPS? Isn't the goto format for YT .mp4 and .wmv?

mp4 is the container, VP9 is the codec. Word is in the thread you need VP9 as the codec to get 60fps, most video these days is h264 though. Premiere is my current choice of video editing software and it doesn't have VP9. Looking into ffmpeg and hybrid now.

Eusis

Oh ffs. Camcorders in the 80s captured footage in 60fps (interlaced).

In fact, most stuff was 60fps before the digital internet age came along and slashed everything to 30fps due to bandwidth.
Yeah, most of those home videos were a lot smoother looking than movies and scripted TV generally were.

And that reminded me that one way for people who "can't see the difference" to wake up to said difference: using their cellphone camera (assuming it's not 60 fps, do they have any that do that yet?) and seeing the video feed in Camera mode relative to what they're seeing in real life. If you don't have some esoteric eye (or brain) condition you have to realize just how much smoother reality really is, and that 60 comes significantly closer to copying that.

peronmls

i just uploaded a 60FPS video with chrome and its not 60FPS. I don't know how these people were able to upload 60fps unless it wasn't...

Is the default recording feature on PS4's locked to 30fps?

Would also make poor ppl without kick-ass PC capture equipment and set-ups who can only capture using crappy 30fps maxed equipment lose out to the richer folk.

It would also be cool for ppl to re-do their playthroughs/speedruns etc at 60fps.

i just uploaded a 60FPS video with chrome and its not 60FPS. I don't know how these people were able to upload 60fps unless it wasn't...

As the other guy mentioned, VP9 codec may be needed. I'm not sure. It wouldn't make much sense if we all had to jump through hoops to make it happen. I'm not even sure they've officially released it.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Do you have to convert to VP9 to get 60FPS? Isn't the goto format for YT .mp4 and .wmv?

I'm pretty sure it will be vp9 only for playback, not for upload. Youtube converts your video to a rather insane number of resolutions and codecs when you upload it from any type of source, so I'd be very surprised they would only do the 60 fps conversion if the source was VP9, a format that almost no software supports in terms of encoding.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
There needs to be a clearer option of the bitrate used. The image/video compression on YouTube is pretty bad.

Most people will notice the difference between 30 and 60 fps (consciously or not), but compression is way less noticeable for most people. I don't know about other countries, but here is France many people watch TV through their DSL lines, and quality is absolutely and utterly terrible, and people simply don't notice and/or care. Drives me mad, but I'm in a very small minority...

peronmls

encoded a 60fps video with VP9. Still no 60. Unless I did it wrong. (doubt it) I guess I'll have to wait till YT gets updated.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Wow, looks like it's using a 19 mbits bitrate or something like that on those sample videos. That's very impressive, especially with an advanced codec like VP9...

ZeroX03

Banned
How big of an improvement is it from before?

Check these out for reference. Knowing the bitrate is a big deal, but the level of compression will vary depending on what the source video is. I thought the Titanfall video wasn't as sharp as it needed to be but I can't be sure if that's YT compression or just a shitty source.

You could probably compare the VGHS S2 trailer to the one on RocketJump for an idea though.

Top Bottom