• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Debunked: Arrowhead has been acquired by Sony. Announcement coming soon

Playstation alone generates more revenue than Xbox + ABK combined, so getting a "god damn publisher that prints money" isn't an issue.

As per the new accountant, they need to be more cost-efficient with their investments to maximize profits.

Acquisitions of small studios are long-term investments. Just look at Guerrilla Games, which was acquired after Killzone 1, a game that had mixed reception. Today, GG is one of the top studios from Playstation Studios and renowned in the industry.
Sony can make any studios they buy a top studio and your right studios cost and I know sony is being efficient with there money and the studios they persue. But games talk money talks to make great AAA games. Wasn't the money they was earning from CoD was put towards making AAA? Before Microsoft brought Activision? This is why I presume sony would aleast buy or put its money to rockstar for short term and long term we all know RDR or GTA would make money and that money could heavily invest into sony owns studios and AAA games

Killjoy-NL

Sony can make any studios they buy a top studio and your right studios cost and I know sony is being efficient with there money and the studios they persue. But games talk money talks to make great AAA games. Wasn't the money they was earning from CoD was put towards making AAA? Before Microsoft brought Activision? This is why I presume sony would aleast buy or put its money to rockstar for short term and long term we all know RDR or GTA would make money and that money could heavily invest into sony owns studios and AAA games
No idea.

But in case of Sony, they will get support for their platform regardless, as they are market-leader. Hence why they can focus on not relying on 3rd party as much and it's easier to get partnerships.

Unlike MS, for example, who needs to buy big publishers to stay relevant.

SHA

Why can’t Microsoft grow organically like Sony does?
Naughty Dog got acquired, they were like that, just in different time, they are just more matured, not the opposite, look into history, most recent headlines don't make any sense, if you discard history then you're just like who discard Vegetas effort compared to Goku in DB story, this is childish, you see what I'm saying? you're constantly discarding Vegetas efforts, you can't enjoy the Anime if you think like that.

Last edited:
As long as they keep bringing those multiplayer titles to PC so I'm not shackled by the limitations of consoles and fucking paid subscriptions to play games online, good luck to them.

Hindsight calling but they should have acquired them after the first Helldivers game. I sunk 100+ hours into that game, it was fire. They are a talented studio with their best work still ahead of them.
Meh - plenty of studios peak with the second game in a big IP. Original staff churn, new people come in who just want to make more of the same. I wouldn't bet on their best work being ahead of them.

kyussman

Just curious: when were acquisitions 'interesting' for you and why?
Back in the day aquisitions were pretty rare,it was fun to see reactions to them from various fans and it would always generate lots of discussion.....with consolidation of the industry in recent years it has become a lot less fun as the discussion has become about corporations trying to put each other out of business and it's honestly put me off gaming quite a bit in recent years.

Kokoloko85

It doesn’t mean buy an independent studio that has released every one of its games day one on PC and move them over to your platform so they no longer come out on PC day one.
Thats what Jimbo means when he said organic before. They work with a studio to create some games and then add them to the PS Studios. Just like most the studios they bought.

Helldivers 1 didn’t release day 1 on PC. It was released a few months after the PS3/Vita/PS4 versions.

Sony published Helldivers, its there IP. Sony published Helldivers 2 on PC day 1. They said they will release multiplayer games day 1 on PC going forward.

Last edited:
I know. Imagine if Sony acquired their biggest studios like Naughty Dog, Guerilla, and Insomniac...

5d6c11e3732eb0271164766396a6be97.jpg
Appels oranges here, Sony bought does studio when they where very small and trough "organic grow" under the wings of Sony they are what they are now.
Ms bought big well knowed studios and complete publishers...🤔

Kokoloko85

Last edited:
Good. It's great for studios to be more independent than owned by larger corporations. Sony fanboys probably fucking fuming at this being a no go.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Can’t be bothered to dot point it for everyone but seems like Sony wasn’t that great for firesprite. Could be isolated idk. But I wouldn’t just turn a blind eye to it.

I also hope these guys don’t go full politically correct due to Sony. They seem very middle ground which has been refreshing.

Sony doesn't force any of their devs to go "full PC" either. It's okay to recognize that some devs have a difference of opinion on life and politics than you. It's not all a conspiracy. The TLOU2 documentary proves this.

yurinka

By the same guy who says Ghost of Tsushima for PC is being announced tomorrow and said we would get a Horizon for PC blogpost today:

Source

The CEO talked about being independetly owned today

Tweet deleted

Sony doesn't force any of their devs to go "full PC" either. It's okay to recognize that some devs have a difference of opinion on life and politics than you. It's not all a conspiracy. The TLOU2 documentary proves this.
Obviously each person has a different opinion. Workers aren't robots with a shared mindset.

I have a vague but distinct feeling that some studio (BluePoint IIRC) denied purchase by Sony (probably after that famous gaffe) but ended up purchased anyway. Anyone 'members?
Looking at recent cases of Bluepoint, Housemarque, etc. probably after seeing a great success working with them Sony may be in negotiations to acquire them. If it's the case, it may take a while. And once done, they'll wait for the right moment to announce it: which isn't just after firing 900 people.

More likely, they'd wait some time for people to forget the layoff, and would wait to show great numbers in a fiscal record with 1P sales and revenue highly increasing in both PS and PC thanks to Helldiver 2, also announcing something cool like 10M units sold in a very short period of time, a new record for a SIE game.

Until it gets publicly announced, it must be kept secret to don't negatively affect stock value and potential negotiations that may be in place.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Obviously each person has a different opinion. Workers aren't robots with a shared mindset.

Exactly. Which is why it's so annoying when people on GAF seem to think Sony makes devs push some political message in every game they make. Just annoying!

tylrdiablos

It's your daily reminder that if you see words like "rumour" and "speculation" in a topic title/tweet etc you should ignore the whole thing and carry on with your day.
Don't give these attention seekers a second of your time.
Go look at the GAF boobs or butts threads. That's a better investment of your time.

Sounds like the one who was fuming is you and now you’re in a state of Ha-dou-Ken.

tylrdiablos tylrdiablos

Too bad that didn’t work out for those four Xbox games now coming to other consoles :p
What in the actual fuck are you talking about? I'm not fuming at all, happy that they're able to stay independent and not get swallowed up by a corporation that will dictate the kind of games they make.

Oh and don't forget to stock up on those meds.

yurinka

Why can’t Microsoft grow organically like Sony does?
MS would need to have their own ND, Insomniac, Guerrilla, Quantic Dream, Ready At Dawn, Housemarque, Bluepoint, Arrowhead, Firesprite, Ballistic Moon, etc. working for them -in these or previous teams- in sucessful 1st/2nd party games before being acquired, and generating enough money with the division to reinvest part of their profits in the acquisitions.

But their gaming division doesn't generate money as SIE does, so they got the money from the corporation. And doesn't have partners that appealing to them, so they prefer to go for big brands even if don't have a long relationship of these people working for them for a while.

Different strategies for very different cases. Sony marries their long term girlfriend which may not be the best looking one but have a good relationship with them, and help them improve. MS Gaming instead asks for money to their rich cousin to buy a Ferrari to see if they can attract a playmate. Sony's case usually has a better ending.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
No idea.

But in case of Sony, they will get support for their platform regardless, as they are market-leader. Hence why they can focus on not relying on 3rd party as much and it's easier to get partnerships.

Unlike MS, for example, who needs to buy big publishers to stay relevant.
even that hasn't helped them.

All they have to show for it is Starfield, Redfall and HiFi Rush.

Insomniac alone has put out as much as Xbox has from Bethesda acquisition. (Miles Morales, Ratchet, Spiderman 2)

yeah. i bet they will force them to make a GaaS game instead of a single player narrative driven one.
We haven't seen a TLoU3 or announcement of new IP from Naughty Dog for exactly this reason. They were stuck working on a GAAS project for years that led to absolutely nothing.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Meh - plenty of studios peak with the second game in a big IP. Original staff churn, new people come in who just want to make more of the same. I wouldn't bet on their best work being ahead of them.
Bend and Ready at Dawn come to mind.

I feel like their PSP output was better than their big console debuts.

I also might be talking out my ass 🤔

Ready at Dawn still stings though, Sony is lame as hell for dropping them. I think they're owned by Meta now and making VR games.

Back in the day aquisitions were pretty rare,it was fun to see reactions to them from various fans and it would always generate lots of discussion.....with consolidation of the industry in recent years it has become a lot less fun as the discussion has become about corporations trying to put each other out of business and it's honestly put me off gaming quite a bit in recent years.

Eh, that's fair. Honestly it was similar with me when MS announced the Zenimax acquisition. Seemed like there were so many possibilities. Four years later...not much has changed whatsoever. In fact I'd argue Bethesda have gotten relatively worst as other studios and publishers have been getting better. And the circus from the whole ABK acquisition especially last year, tainted any future big 3P publisher M&As (particularly from Microsoft).

I am not adverse to further M&As but the company doing the buying matters a lot in that equation, weighing the good with the bad. Though for the sake of the industry it's probably best if everyone chilled on M&As for at least a few months.

I for one think they should buy Konami, or at least the rights to Metal Gear, so we can get back the hero we all deserve. Solid Snake.

Why? We're getting PHYSINT which seems will be everything as (and better than) Metal Gear in all but name.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
What in the actual fuck are you talking about? I'm not fuming at all, happy that they're able to stay independent and not get swallowed up by a corporation that will dictate the kind of games they make.

Oh and don't forget to stock up on those meds.
“i’M nOt fUmInG”!

My man, it wasn’t that serious. :pie_fwt:

Last edited:

mdkirby

Bluepoint was also debunked.
The rumour that's been debunked is that they had already been bought. Which seems likely true. Doesn't mean there aren't conversations ongoing, and I'd be pretty shocked if there weren't. They are a studio historically working with playstation, where Sony own their main IP, they'd have a lot to gain from from the resources Sony could offer. I wouldn't be surprised if later in the year an acquisition is announced.

Top Bottom