• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Debunked: Arrowhead has been acquired by Sony. Announcement coming soon

Groups. It feels like Deep Rock with guns, go to planet, do objective, leave. With actual gameplay being bare bones, it just doesn't feel impactful oddly enough like deep rock. I get that it's a Rick and Morty game but I'm trying to see where the hell 8 years of development went
Someone's going to have to tell me where the hype is with Helldiver's, I put 10 hours into it and was bored the entire time.
I think you need to read the quote from Arrowhead Studios:
Arrowhead Studios made Hell Divers 2 for a specific type of gamer. They do not attempt to please everyone, because that path leads to unfun games.

It seems you fall into the camp of someone who doesn't find Hell Divers 2 fun.

That is fine. There is nothing wrong with you and there is nothing wrong with the game either. The game is not for you, feel free to play something else. You go have a nice day, just because something is popular doesn't mean it would be your cup of tea.

xrnzaaas

So judging by some previous posts being acquired by Sony is now a death sentence and a cash grab by the CEO? They'll be fine as long as they keep doing what they were doing and they may even make Helldivers 3 (or some other new game) a larger project. They have the talented devs and deliver what people enjoy playing and that's what counts the most.

Arrowhead is the best get compared to bungie. At the same time I swore the head of sony wanted studios with known ips also? Why can't they just get just one god damn publisher that prints money in a long run

Beechos

This purchasing devs argument is comical. People honestly think all the talent within a company is homegrown who started as an intern and worked themselves up?

Nothing guarantees success. There are plenty of companies with "homegrown" talent/teams that aren't worth a shit. Just like buying companies doesn't equal success either.

Sometimes these things work out sometimes they dont.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Studios, yes. Publishers are an entirely different beast.
Because they can't afford it. Which goes back to my comment. If they could have. They would have purchased publishers long time ago.

Let's not kid our selves. If there is a fucking company that is sneaky as fuck it's Sony. And that court with MS ACT proved it.

Not saying MS are angels. They are same kind of shit but different flavor.

Anyway. If Sony gets them, then this is good news. Those devs are worth it.

I find it ironic they fire 900 people from studios like I somniac. Just to buy another dev from the other side of the spectrum.

It's like ( we need to fire some people so we can get another studio in. They have a hit and we want if )

For all fairness. They could have fired all the woke and metoo and purple retards that does nothing but train to be keyboard warriors. In that case hooray Sony !!

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Because they can't afford it. Which goes back to my comment. If they could have. They would have purchased publishers long time ago.

Let's not kid our selves. If there is a fucking company that is sneaky as fuck it's Sony. And that court with MS ACT proved it.

I find it ironic they fire 900 people from studios like I somniac. Just to buy another dev from the other side of the spectrum.

It's like ( we need to fire some people so we can get another studio in. They have a hit and we want if )

For all fairness. They could have fired all the woke and metoo and purple retards that does nothing but train to be keyboard warriors. In that case hooray Sony !!
I mean, sure, we can all pull out crystal balls and make proclamations of what shoulda, woulda, coulda (although this is nonsense anyway, as there are other pubs that Sony could acquire). Microsoft's enormous wealth has done nothing to make Xbox a victor, so mentioning affordability is fruitless. And the "sneaky" talk is pure comedy because all businesses do what they can to better themselves and the gaming industry's players have all taken part. Sony did what was done before, and after, they joined in 1994.

Bottom line is acquiring studios they've partnered with makes the most sense.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

So if a platform holder moneyhats a developer's games for years, and THEN acquires them, it's organic. Got it!

Lol. This must be all new for you...

When a platform holder, helps publish and develop games with said studio and then buys them later on, yes thats exactly what it means.
They‘ve now worked with Arrowhead for 10+ years, to produce 2 games that Sony owns the ip.

Sony has done this with most there studios, build a relationship with studio, produce there games and then buy the studio.

A bit like Microsoft and Undead Labs

Last edited:
I know. Imagine if Sony acquired their biggest studios like Naughty Dog, Guerilla, and Insomniac...

5d6c11e3732eb0271164766396a6be97.jpg
Imagine pretending that acquiring those studios when they were small, no-name studios and then growing them into big AAA studios can be comparable to paying $70 billion for Activision Blizzard at the height of Call of Duty's worldwide popularity

Yoboman

Or they are smart enough not to take on an entire publisher that the revenue from their userbase cannot support like Xbox

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Bluepoint as well.

I remember that after the PlayStation JP Twitter leaked the acquisition, the studio's Twitter bio was saying something along the lines of "We're Bluepoint Games, an independent game studio from Austin, Texas." for months up until they were officially acquired.

Maybe Sony advises the to say this until both are ready to PR the purchase.

Belthazar

Has anyone looked into Arrowhead? Helldivers 2 is their biggest hit. This doesn't seem like a good purchase.

The thing is, Helldivers 2 is their first mainstream hit... But they've been making cult classic games for a while. They know how to make good products, they just needed the budget to get the games to appeal to the mass market.

mckmas8808

So judging by some previous posts being acquired by Sony is now a death sentence and a cash grab by the CEO? They'll be fine as long as they keep doing what they were doing and they may even make Helldivers 3 (or some other new game) a larger project. They have the talented devs and deliver what people enjoy playing and that's what counts the most.

Helldivers 3 shouldn't come out for another 7 years. On the PS6.

Arrowhead is the best get compared to bungie. At the same time I swore the head of sony wanted studios with known ips also? Why can't they just get just one god damn publisher that prints money in a long run

That would cost too much.

hopefully they don’t meddle with the studio.

Sony doesn't do this.

Yoboman

The thing is, Helldivers 2 is their first mainstream hit... But they've been making cult classic games for a while. They know how to make good products, they just needed the budget to get the games to appeal to the mass market.
I actually like the idea of devs starting small, 2D/2.5D style low budget games and getting their experience there before scaling up. Worked well for Arrowhead, Sony Bend, Housemarque and Bluepoint in recent years

Likely might be an issue for Concord and Fairgames just going straight from nothing to AAA

mckmas8808

I actually like the idea of devs starting small, 2D/2.5D style low budget games and getting their experience there before scaling up. Worked well for Arrowhead, Sony Bend, Housemarque and Bluepoint in recent years

Likely might be an issue for Concord and Fairgames just going straight from nothing to AAA
Agreed! I'm nervous for Concord.

IDappa

Helldivers 3 shouldn't come out for another 7 years. On the PS6.

That would cost too much.

Sony doesn't do this.

When has that ever been a Sony issue

Can’t be bothered to dot point it for everyone but seems like Sony wasn’t that great for firesprite. Could be isolated idk. But I wouldn’t just turn a blind eye to it.

I also hope these guys don’t go full politically correct due to Sony. They seem very middle ground which has been refreshing.

Megatron

Arrowhead has worked with Sony for 10 years now.....

What do you think the phrase means?
It doesn’t mean buy an independent studio that has released every one of its games day one on PC and move them over to your platform so they no longer come out on PC day one.

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
It doesn’t mean buy an independent studio that has released every one of its games day one on PC and move them over to your platform so they no longer come out on PC day one.
You are just desperate to find fault with Sony, aren’t you? Like, you must lay awake at night wondering how you can bring them down from the comfort and safety of your gaming chair.

Jesus fucking Christ.

Anyway, yeah, IP owned by Sony, game funded by Sony, they chose to release it on PC day 1. Also, none of that has even the slightest anything to do with “organic growth”.

Killjoy-NL

Playstation alone generates more revenue than Xbox + ABK combined, so getting a "god damn publisher that prints money" isn't an issue.

As per the new accountant, they need to be more cost-efficient with their investments to maximize profits.

Acquisitions of small studios are long-term investments. Just look at Guerrilla Games, which was acquired after Killzone 1, a game that had mixed reception. Today, GG is one of the top studios from Playstation Studios and renowned in the industry.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
You are thinking of MS and PlayStation releases for multiplatform publishers :p.

The games these folks make are natural multi platforms. Sony as a publisher could have pushed for at least timed exclusivity.

Yoboman

Can’t be bothered to dot point it for everyone but seems like Sony wasn’t that great for firesprite. Could be isolated idk. But I wouldn’t just turn a blind eye to it.

I also hope these guys don’t go full politically correct due to Sony. They seem very middle ground which has been refreshing.
Meddling in what? They've done nothing so far

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

They can, but this is what people always use as excuse why Sony hasn't acquired any publisher.

Killjoy-NL

You cut where necessary/possible, you invest where necessary/possible.

That's how you run a business.

Ozzie666

So thread is pointless now?
Would make sense, the usual organic type thing Sony does. People should understand the difference here.

Top Bottom