• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube-gamer PewDiePie made 63 million SEK (~$7.5m) in 2014

That's absolutely nuts. I was actually subbed to him when he had 7,000 or so subs. Amnesia just came out, and I was looking for gameplay of Frictional's other games and found his Penumbra LP's. Very interesting to have seen him grow and change his style during his rise to success.

Mononoke

Banned
I don't like his work, so it's strange seeing what he does make that much money. But on the other hand, people are willing to watch him. So really, this is a consumer driven thing. I don't know him personally, so this is awesome for him.

klee123

Good for him.

I find him absolutely unbearable to watch, but can't blame a man for making money, since obviously there are many people out there who loves his vids.

People who posts negative comments are just salty.

BibiMaghoo

Though I hate his work, he has made himself a millionaire through his own means. I have nothing but respect and perhaps a little jealousy for that. Well done to him.

Eh I'm fine with that. Still really low by celeb standards, not quite enough to buy a nice beach house either :p

Good for him!

Crypt

Wow. That's enough to retire.

I'd be interested to see Total Biscuit and Jim Sterlings yearly intake too.

Mohonky

Awesome. The hate/jealously this guy gets is real dumb.

Eh, honestly, I tried to watch a few of his videos considering how popular he is and I have never been able to get through one, he is damn annoying.

Dude is rolling in it though. If someone told me 10yrs ago you could make major bank sitting at home and filming yourself playing video games I'd habe laughed.

These days though, there are plenty of people making serious money and a whole living off youtube. I find it rather amazing and wish I had the talent to do it or to have been there from the start to really get involved. Seems like it would be the perfect job for me being agoraphobic. One of the channels I watch for RC cars has a guy doing plenty well for himself. I always wondered what the conversation with his wife must have been like when he came home and said 'honey, I turfed my job in IT, I'm going to go full time making remote control car videos for youtube'

entremet

Sweden does have high personal income taxes, so he's probably seeing less than half of that take home.

Settle down, haters.

TheFatMan

The guy looks like he has the time of his life making those ridiculous videos, and he's rich from it.

I gotta say, I'm jelly.

Record yourself making loud noises while playing videogames + be an extroverted handsome chap = profit

It's a formula that works really well for him. No salt here, but definitely not my kinda thang to watch. Good luck to him.

Eh, honestly, I tried to watch a few of his videos considering how popular he is and I have never been able to get through one, he is damn annoying.

Dude is rolling in it though. If someone told me 10yrs ago you could make major bank sitting at home and filming yourself playing video games I'd habe laughed.

These days though, there are plenty of people making serious money and a whole living off youtube. I find it rather amazing and wish I had the talent to do it or to have been there from the start to really get involved. Seems like it would be the perfect job for me being agoraphobic. One of the channels I watch for RC cars has a guy doing plenty well for himself. I always wondered what the conversation with his wife must have been like when he came home and said 'honey, I turfed my job in IT, I'm going to go full time making remote control car videos for youtube'
You watched his videos and didn't like it. I would not called that hate. People calling him "disgusting" for example is hate.

Bold One

mlc6h2q.jpg

respect the hustle

Game recognize game

orava

Youtube videos don't make themselves.

Props on him.

Well he seem to be nice guy and is responsible with his fame and fortune. I can respect that and i have no ill will towards him. I meant that It's just that he wasn't really that original or the first one. He just lucked out at some point and just happened to post some video at the right time. It's like those mobile games where there are those few that basically print money and hundred thousand other similar ones that do not even make blip on the radar. Let's not pretend that he achieved all this with talent. These things happen and it's ok.

I think it's pretty cool you can have a career via Youtube. I just wish the people making money were adults or at least acted like an adult.

I just watched one of this guys videos called "Legend of the Salad Ass". He jumps around pretending to be scared by "dildos" while screaming how he has "shit coming out of his ass". I just dont get it. I mean, Michael Bay makes a lot of money to make unwatchable Transformers movies so I guess there is some equivalency but these videos is just a guy playing a video game and yelling into a microphone. If I asked a fan what they watch these for is it simply "he's funny"?

I need to meet a pewdie fan and ask.

Majanew

Banned
Impressive.

It doesn't take much to make decent money off YouTube. The only two reaction channels I watch (The Reel Rejects and Tyrone Magnus) were both able to quit their jobs thanks to the money they bring in from just reacting to other videos. Neither have near the same amount of subs or views.

Just gotta think of something to do for your YT channel and make that money!

kewlmyc

Don't like his content, but from what I've heard, he's legitimately a good person, so good for him. Jealous, wish I could make that kind of money playing videogames.

Darksol

In my opinion he doesn't deserve it, and I question anyone who can stomach watching him for more than a couple minutes voluntarily -- BUT -- he's getting paid to have suckers watch him play video games. Guy obviously is doing something right.

Good for him, he's got an obvious main appeal and demographic that he's focused on, nothing wrong with that, he produces what a lot of people want to see. Some people will just dislike/hate him for being successful in what he does. He's appealing to kids just becoming teens, around that demographic and there's nothing wrong with that, there's a lot of people outside the demographic too that enjoy him and that's cool too, don't see a problem with it. If people like the content then there's no problem.

No salt here, if I became incredibly popular with a young generation I'd ride that for as long as I could, lol.

Top Bottom