• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube-gamer PewDiePie made 63 million SEK (~$7.5m) in 2014

galvenize

The screaming can be obnoxious but I have to say I did watch a few of his Bloodborne let's play and got a little entertained.

hwy_61

Banned
In my opinion he doesn't deserve it, and I question anyone who can stomach watching him for more than a couple minutes voluntarily -- BUT -- he's getting paid to have suckers watch him play video games. Guy obviously is doing something right.

Your opinion is dumb. He has an audience. They're not suckers, they're an audience.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Good for him, and keep in mind if he's making that much, imagine what Youtube is making off him.

Getting that many people to watch your videos isn't easy, and it's a full time job for him now and there's some actual production values and costs involved at a certain level.. but again good for him.. if you can get that kind of following you should get your fair share of the revenue.

hesido

Is this 7.5 million usd profit, or revenue.. Because I need to add 2000 dollars or take away the 2000 dollars to come up with the full picture.

I know it's profit.

Btw, I can't make it through his videos whether I know he's earning that much or not, so my not liking his productions is not because of me being jealous (which I am, to be honest.)

Apathy

Good for him I guess. He as an individual is obviously smart and knows his audience. His character is annoying and dumb and makes me wonder why people (kids) watch it, but different strokes for different folks I guess.

Kriken

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't jealous, I wish I could make $7.5 million playing games and screaming into a microphone

I don't understand how this is disgusting.
To me, its no different than actors/actresses or comedians or any entertainer making money out of entertaining people.

Celebrity actors and such, that's not an easy career to attain,on the face of it this guy is just a gamer, makes videos and posts them to youtube, same as allot of ppl, only difference is he's massively successfuland now rich, easy to understand why ppl feel salt and envy, not saying he's not hard working or talentless, he capitalised on a trend with a certain audience and was very lucky to be where he is now, is his success due only to talent and hard work, doubt it.

His youtube personality isn't palatable to me, but he's raised over a million US dollars for charities, so good on him for using his popularity to do some good.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Good for him though I don't really have much respect for the guy for knowingly pandering to the LCD instead of showing some actual craftsmanship.

Ban Puncher

Young people today have no taste.

In my day we bought VHS tapes of people getting kicked in the dick and sometimes there was a skateboard.

Robaperas

Good for him and his team if he has one. Now he can get a beard implant, I know the suffering of being beard challenged...

-Horizon-

I actually like his playthroughs of more serious games like dark souls1+2 and bloodborne even if he goofs off in those games as well. So congrats to him :D

Oriel

Good for him, he followed his passion, took a gamble and it paid off.

Making YouTubes videos isn't really much of a gamble though. Unless he quite his job and invested in some state of the art film studio to make these YT vids. YouTube allows any old fool to talk gibberish into a camera/web cam and make fuck loads of money. Even if such videos generate meagre views the person doesn't stand to lose anything really.

L.O.R.D

Don't like his content, but from what I've heard, he's legitimately a good person, so good for him. Jealous, wish I could make that kind of money playing videogames.

this

i really don't like what he does
but i don't hate him as a person

good for him, but i really want from him to address his issues with G2A and other gray market on the internet , this is not acceptable

Dawg

It matters not, for money is not eternal.

Do you think Death will delay thine inevitable fate by the amount of made up currency you have?

In time, we shall return to dust. There is no reason to be upset or jealous. Our time on this planet is short and finite.

Enjoy your life while it lasts, humans.

Maedhros

Celebrity actors and such, that's not an easy career to attain,on the face of it this guy is just a gamer, makes videos and posts them to youtube, same as allot of ppl, only difference is he's massively successfuland now rich, easy to understand why ppl feel salt and envy, not saying he's not hard working or talentless, he capitalised on a trend with a certain audience and was very lucky to be where he is now, is his success due only to talent and hard work, doubt it.

It doesn't matter, though.

I can't even be salty. From what I have seen of his videos it's just depressing.

Maybe I'm just getting too old :(

He's not aiming his videos to old dinossaurs/grumpy dungeon dwellers/salty as fuck guys/etc. like us.

orava

Do you think Death will delay thine inevitable fate by the amount of made up currency you have?

In time, we shall return to dust. There is no reason to be upset or jealous. Our time on this planet is short and finite.

Enjoy your time while it lasts, humans.

My short time here would be much more enjoyable with ridiculous amounts of cash though.

Golicz

Banned
PewDiePie's company Pewdie Productions AB made a profit of 63 million SEK (7.45 million USD or 6.70 million Euros in direct conversion) before taxes. This is up from 29.6 million SEK in 2013 and 7.2 million in 2012.

He's effectively living the dream. Bravo, I suppose.

SSReborn

Enjoy your life while it lasts, humans.

nofunallowed.jpg

Anyways congratulations to him I always connect well with people who take an idea and turn it into something that is successful for them.

DJIzana

#YouTubeMoney

I'll agree with the others. Don't like his vids but seems like a good person so yeah... good on em.

Trickster

It's hilarious to me how many people either hate the dude, or utterly fails to understand who he appeals to

"oh i don't get this guy at all"

Well, are you 12? No? Good new, now you know why you dont get it

$7.5m is that net gross, before youtube gets it's cut? etc.

I must be too old because I absolutely do not get the appeal.

To me it's like the Nadir of entertainment. . . someone talking playing a game. . . makes millions on his personality? I don't get how someones can be so appealing? Even as a kid I wouldn't watch it heh.

GhaleonQ

I'll even disagree with the begrudging respect comments here.

There's no "potential for online media" here because it's not entrepreneurship or creation, just leeching off of other people's spark and hard work. Like, he's not a professional athlete, he's someone who takes bets on the games. Yes, he's making money, but it's a tertiary creation of someone else's dedication.

Good for him though I don't really have much respect for the guy for knowingly pandering to the LCD instead of showing some actual craftsmanship.

To be honest, I don't even know what "craftsmanship" for his genre of video would be. Or, rather, I don't know how craftsmanship would make what he's doing any better or worthwhile, just less annoying.

As someone who believes that vocation extends to more than just one's job and doesn't add up to "finding your place in the world," I won't find him impressive until he manages to do something consequential with his life. He's an nerd Kardashian right now: famous for being famous, famous for yammering pointlessly whether a camera was on or off, famous without a plan or purpose for the future.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
To put it in perspective, it's likely that the worst sitcom that springs to mind made far more money and a crazy share of those profits goes to lawyers and people who did nothing to improve that sitcom.

Good for him.

Maxxan

Good for him. So many Gaffers seem to dislike him, but he introduced gaming to a new crowd, does lots of charities and his favourite game is Dark Souls.

Watched a couple videos. Some are fun (the mosquito) many are not my type of entertainment, so I am not following his output.

He gets rich by doing stuff he is having a blast with. Wish I could do the same. Congrats to him.

Gbraga

Im 20. I like his videos.

His current Catherine playthrough is quite entertaining, feels good to see more people enjoying it. Great game <3

Hopefully more people will pick it up due to his videos. The Skate 3 thing even made them reprint it or something like that, right?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I'll even disagree with the begrudging respect comments here.

There's no "potential for online media" here because it's not entrepreneurship or creation, just leeching off of other people's spark and hard work. Like, he's not a professional athlete, he's someone who takes bets on the games. Yes, he's making money, but it's a tertiary creation of someone else's dedication.

To be honest, I don't even know what "craftsmanship" for his genre of video would be. Or, rather, I don't know how craftsmanship would make what he's doing any better or worthwhile, just less annoying.

As someone who believes that vocation extends to more than just one's job and doesn't add up to "finding your place in the world," I won't find him impressive until he manages to do something consequential with his life. He's an nerd Kardashian right now: famous for being famous, famous for yammering pointlessly whether a camera was on or off, famous without a plan or purpose for the future.

I would imagine it would at least involve less rape jokes.

QuikNez

Making YouTubes videos isn't really much of a gamble though. Unless he quite his job and invested in some state of the art film studio to make these YT vids. YouTube allows any old fool to talk gibberish into a camera/web cam and make fuck loads of money. Even if such videos generate meagre views the person doesn't stand to lose anything really.

I think it is a gamble, opportunity cost wise, instead of spending his time filming videos and playing video games he could be going to school or spending his time doing soemthing that is guaranteed to make income.

Likewise, his chances of success were pretty low.

To me, that's a gamble, I know I wouldn't bother trying his path for those very reasons I noted.

Top Bottom