• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube Me Again! (Watch YouTube videos on GAF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Forgot to come back to this.
It works now :) but shouldn't the setting be named "Disable annotations" instead of "Enable annotations"?
Well, since annotations are enabled by default, I think having it enabled makes the most sense. Otherwise I would have to invert my logic.

Well, since annotations are enabled by default, I think having it enabled makes the most sense. Otherwise I would have to invert my logic.

I would need to get back to my PC, but the way it currently works for me by default is

Enable Annotations = disabled

Hence the suggested name change. Unchecking Enable Annotations does not save.

Rootbeer

Banned
Thanks, working again :)

I have a small problem with the volume setting... which is really nice to have, btw. I hate when videos default to 100%. sigh. headphone users cry.

I like keeping it at 20%. the setting doesn't always save though. if you use the little up/down arrows to get to the desired number, it seems to keep. But if you manually type it and press enter, it doesn't. or if you manually type it, then go down and click 'done' it also does not keep it. at last on my setup.

anyway, once it is set it stays that way until I clear my browser settings, but maybe not every user would notice the right way to get it to save.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yep. That one fixes the descriptions for me.

And I hope you won't just be putting it on the Chrome store. I need my GreaseMonkey script for Safari. I can't live on GAF without this.

SpikeDaPenguin

Neo Member
You added the volume thing! Thanks so much!

It is a little buggy setting it up (when I put in the number I wanted it in it didn't save but when I manually lowered the volume number it did save. Also when I lowered the volume number, after every 2 clicks it would shut down the menu).

All that aside though I have the right number now and it's saved *phew*. Thanks a bunch man, you rock!

SD quality loads by default in smaller windows regardless of settings. Expanding to the largest window switches to the HD stream.

Tested on a clean profile in Cyberfox

hateradio

SD quality loads by default in smaller windows regardless of settings. Expanding to the largest window switches to the HD stream.

Tested on a clean profile in Cyberfox
I'm using Cyberfox as well.

I really don't know how to modify it beyond what I've done. YT tries to detect the player size to send you the "proper" quality. I try to inject your preferences onto the website and force it to play with those enabled.

It works for me and seems to have worked for people who had that problem, too.

The only way to really get it to work is by using the Flash player, but it's been deprecated and doesn't work as well.

I'm using Cyberfox as well.

I really don't know how to modify it beyond what I've done. YT ties to detect the player size and send you the "proper" quality. I try to inject your preferences onto the website, and force it to play.

It works for me and seems to have worked for people who had that problem, too.

The only way to really get it to work is by using the Flash player, but it's been deprecated and doesn't work as well.

Hmm
Tis odd.

What's weird is when I'm on mobile GAF, videos are automatically embedded, but not on regular GAF.

MobileGAF has a built-in embed feature. Do you have an extension that could be blocking the script?

hateradio

Hmm
Tis odd.
Enable the console (SHIFT+CTRL+K). Empty it by pressing the Clear button next to Logging.

Then click on a video thumbnail (there's one on this page).

You should see something like this.

UfTSWZh.png

Rootbeer

Banned
seems to carry version number 6 now? I just installed it on another browser :) Volume settings working better now, as advertised. Thanks again.

hateradio

Version 6 is now at GreasyFork for everyone using the user script.

I will update the package and put it on the Chrome store tomorrow in the evening.

Psxphile

I still have an issue with descriptions: it'll either say Load Description or Error, Unable to load data [Retry 1]. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling but the behavior doesn't change.

I'm on Firefox 37.0.2.

Psxphile

Any extensions that could be blocking it?

Sames ones I've always had, haven't installed anything new. Unless something changed w/ YMA! that they're now a problem. Just to be on the safe side though, let me disable 'em real quick and see if anything changes.
EDIT: nope, same. And whoah, I forget how different GAF dark looks without Pro Dark.

Sames ones I've always had, haven't installed anything new. Unless something changed w/ YMA! that they're now a problem. Just to be on the safe side though, let me disable 'em real quick and see if anything changes.
EDIT: nope, same. And whoah, I forget how different GAF dark looks without Pro Dark.

Have you tried testing on a clean profile?

hateradio

I still have an issue with descriptions: it'll either say Load Description or Error, Unable to load data [Retry 1]. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling but the behavior doesn't change.

I'm on Firefox 37.0.2.
If you use NoScript or some other script blocker that could be a cause, but other than that, I'm not sure.

Does it only affect one host, eg, youtube? I did update it to use googleapis.com to fetch video data. If it's others like Vimeo or something, then it could be something else.

Psxphile

Have you tried testing on a clean profile?
I have now. The script seems to be working on a clean profile.

If you use NoScript or some other script blocker that could be a cause, but other than that, I'm not sure.

Does it only affect one host, eg, youtube? I did update it to use googleapis.com to fetch video data. If it's others like Vimeo or something, then it could be something else.
I have NoScript, but nothing on this site is blocked currently.

Tried a Vimeo link: the video works fine (like youtube) but no description. Something's changed though, since in the description it now says Loading data... like before I updated the script. It's doing that for the youtube links, too.

hateradio

Tried a Vimeo link: the video works fine (like youtube) but no description. Something's changed though, since in the description it now says Loading data... like before I updated the script. It's doing that for the youtube links, too.
Can you try showing the info in the console?

Go to this link, since it has a Vimeo video.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=84672045&postcount=3508

Press CTRL+SHIFT+K and press "Load Description" if it shows up.

It should show something like this.

Nu3PT4b.png

You can also try clearing the data cache by typing the following in the console (the area with the blue arrows >>).

Code:
localStorage.removeItem('ytma.4.1.dat')

Psxphile

Here you go:

Anyways, tried clearing the cache as you asked and after refreshing the page it started working: descriptions are loading for both the vimeo and youtube videos. It's even saving the settings now instead of just defaulting to medium window/360p res every time.

I love this script. Thank you.

ChryZ

I got 6.0.1 installed and now there's a persistent notification pop up in my firefox: "An update for ytma! is available." Uninstalled and reinstalled the script, no change. The notification is very annoying, guess I have to disable ytma for now.

knkng

I got 6.0.1 installed and now there's a persistent notification pop up in my firefox: "An update for ytma! is available." Uninstalled and reinstalled the script, no change. The notification is very annoying, guess I have to disable ytma for now.

I'd like to echo this. It's appearing in the top right corner of the screen and over top of all advertisements on the page. I've never seen this notification before, and it's not going away.

Nerdkiller

Membeur

I'd like to echo this. It's appearing in the top right corner of the screen and over top of all advertisements on the page. I've never seen this notification before, and it's not going away.
Same here. I'm not gonna use it if this continues to be an issue.

Same for me.

kuppy

Yap, same here. Don't know too much about code myself, but deleting lines 246-253 at least does the job for now:
Code:
var a = document.createElement('a'), b = JSON.parse(window.localStorage.getItem(this.key));
a.href = b.page || '#';
a.target = '_blank';
a.id = 'userscriptupdater';
a.title = 'Update now.';
a.textContent = 'An update for ' + this.name + ' is available.';
document.body.appendChild(a);
return true;

Sobriquet

Came to post the same. Safari on a Mac.

Rootbeer

Banned
Here is a working link to the chrome web store version (link a few posts up did not work)

i'm unhappy to report that on the latest chrome dev build for windows... they will no longer let you use extensions not found in the chrome store... including scripts. it keeps disabling them and will not let you manually re-enable. i have not yet found a way to disable that... if it's even possible.

There is a post about this on the Chrome blog

Please keep the chrome web store version updated as much as possible for chrome users on version 44 and up!

hateradio

Please keep the chrome web store version updated as much as possible for chrome users on version 44 and up!
The reason I made the Chrome extension is precisely the reasons you mentioned.

It took me longer to release 6 than usual, but I rely on people to test it out before a full release in case something breaks. I'll probably update the Chrome one more often after a "tested" version seems worthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom