• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube Streamer Criken sued over his Kickstarter game, I.C.U.

giphy.gif

I fucking love The Social Network so fucking much

So in USA a researcher/student at a university aren't allowed to keep patents for their own work?

In Sweden a researcher or a student have the right to patent their own work.

No, that's not how patenting and copyright works. The way Digipen works for example with projects, the school owns the name, game made there and all the assets. HOWEVER, students are completely free to make a similar game out of campus using the same mechanics.
Examples:

• Nitronic Rush to Distance
  • Narbacular Drop to Portal
  • Tag: The Power Of Paint to Portal 2

EDIT: Digipen has had to deal with this ownership issue a LOT, which led them to taking ownership of the works themselves. However, I have seen the school help endorse the successors made by alumni.

USC does not take ownership of its student projects because it wants to encourage its students to turn their ideas into full-fledged companies and pitch them to venture capitalists. The only exception is, in USC's words: "if a game makes at least $500,000, in which case one percent goes back to USC Games to re-fund future cohorts."

Lightningboalt

Neo Member
Well, damn. That's pretty thorough and comprehensive, and it's incredibly damning. Guess I'm done watching any Criken videos now... If any of the evidence is fake or otherwise misrepresented then the case is incredibly easily crushed, to the point that any law firm worth their salt would be unwise to take the case. From what I know of them, McArthur Law Firm has a pretty damn solid track record and I don't think they're the types to work an easily crushed, waste of time case.

It's a shame, I kinda liked Criken. But if this is true (and honestly the evidence seems to indicate that it is), won't be too hard for me to just move on and forget about him, I did enjoy some of his videos but I didn't follow him closely. Pretty stupid to attempt a Zuckerberging while having this kind of a paper trail, not to mention the many other things you could attribute to such an act. As scummy as it is, the stupidity of it all is just baffling to me... how would you think that you could actually get away with this? A kickstarter, getting well-known streamers to showcase it, advertising it on your pretty visible youtube channel... yeah, sure, nobody will notice that, you'll totally get away with scamming the co-creator! If it's all true, was it ego or greed? Maybe both?

Unfortunate part is that even if it's all true, that doesn't necessarily mean Criken will actually face repercussions. I could see a few avenues where this is all true but Criken doesn't lose the case. I'm curious how the fallout of that would play out.

XAL

Wow, loved Criken. Hope there is more to this.

If not, damn. Asshole. Hope the game is boycotted and bombs.

Nazo

Wow. That's depressing. I loved his ARK Survival videos and stuff.

I was really happy for him about announcing his Kickstarter awhile ago too.

Why are so many Youtubers just such scummy people under the surface?

I distinctly remember Criken mentioning Zach in several streams he had with other streamers testing out the game, and I'm wondering why this is not showing the transcripts of their communication before Zach decided to make a case.

That said, I'm gonna wait and see about this.

Damn, I've been watching Criken's videos for ages. I've even been watching some streamers test the game here since it looked interesting. Pretty scummy thing to do.

Tecnniqe

Banned
61fad2385bc949921bc8a1ab94ad965e.png

Left my comment and going to cancel my pledge. Kickstarter creators can't delete comments, only report them and the Kickstarter admins won't delete comments unless they break rules (ie slander, abuse, etc.), so hope it makes some people think on it.

giphy.gif

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Evidence seems oretty damning, wish for some awareness before the KS ends and people's canceling pledges but I'm not hopeful it'll have a big impact on the campaign (at least not in such way it won't get funded anymore) considering how fanbases usualy are (blind)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Keenan posted a response on Kickstarter:

kIO99Eo.png

Begs the question what is factually incorrect about the article.

You beat me to it, he replied to my Kickstarter comment. As I said, I want to hear from both sides, but we shall see. The Kickstarter ends in about two days so how this goes does determine for me at least if I'll keep or pull my pledge, I know the game will get by regardless but I think it's important to be transparent.

Lightningboalt

Neo Member
It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out. If even a shred of it is true then that reflects exceptionally poorly on Criken. It's certainly still possible that Criken's innocent in all this, but currently he's not looking great (especially considering that Zach's been mentioned on streams, yet he isn't actually credited by Criken anywhere).

Still personally thinking that there's a bit too much smoke for there not to be a fire, there's an awful lot of actual documentation that Criken would have to find a way to somehow explain away. If this is "frivolous and meritless" as Criken claims, it sorta raises the question of why a really reputable and respected legal team would even take the case. McArthur's actually legitimately one of the most well-regarded Intellectual Property firms in the country, just look them up on any lawyer search engine site. Big thing that stands out in nearly every review of them is high ethical standards... if this case has no merit, then that's them uncharacteristically backing an unethical lawsuit.

I feel like Kickstarter has way more failures than success stories when it comes to gaming.
I'm pretty sure there's been charts posted around here which show otherwise. Failures are more memorable and newsworthy than "hey this kickstarter game came out and it's fine".

Trace

Banned
It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out. If even a shred of it is true then that reflects exceptionally poorly on Criken. It's certainly still possible that Criken's innocent in all this, but currently he's not looking great (especially considering that Zach's been mentioned on streams, yet he isn't actually credited by Criken anywhere).

Still personally thinking that there's a bit too much smoke for there not to be a fire, there's an awful lot of actual documentation that Criken would have to find a way to somehow explain away. If this is "frivolous and meritless" as Criken claims, it sorta raises the question of why a really reputable and respected legal team would even take the case. McArthur's actually legitimately one of the most well-regarded Intellectual Property firms in the country, just look them up on any lawyer search engine site. Big thing that stands out in nearly every review of them is high ethical standards... if this case has no merit, then that's them uncharacteristically backing an unethical lawsuit.

I would love to know how he's going to explain away all the evidence of the slides and documentation, I'm sure the school has all of that as well.

Top Bottom