• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube videos emerge of XBOne Blu-ray drives failing / making grinding noises

Zalman

Well, the Wii U has proven reliable for sure, but it sure as hell didn't "just work" out of the box. You had to wait a LONG time before you could actually do anything at all.
I remember playing games on mine before being able to go online. Maybe that's because it wasn't a launch unit?

winstano

Something in me hopes that the people affected by this are the same folks who gave the PS4 shit last week... Hopefully the failure rates aren't that high, although it does suck for those it happens to :-/

Exile20

Well, the Wii U has proven reliable for sure, but it sure as hell didn't "just work" out of the box. You had to wait a LONG time before you could actually do anything at all.
Not true at all. You can play without the day one update and play while the update. Downloads in the background. Compared to the ps4 and Xbox issues, the Wii u launch was better.

MilkBeard

I remember playing games on mine before being able to go online. Maybe that's because it wasn't a launch unit?

Naw you could still play games on it. The press also had their units early but they only received the day-one patch at the same time as everyone else. The patch added basic functions like miiverse, and some other stuff.

RiamuBME

My housemate came back last night after going on an epic 6 hour mission to find one without pre-ordering, he even had to ring his parents to lend him some money to cover the cost of a bundle he found at GAME here in the UK.

He came back at around half 12, we installed the patch which took us to about half 1, we then installed Skype and fucked around with the Kinect (which didn't work that great) and the Snap feature. We then decided to start playing Ryse,
then this problem became apparent. Whenever we inserted a disc, the loader just sounded like it was destroying the discs, the Xbox One then wouldn't register them either and would ask us to insert a Xbox One disc or a blu-ray.

At the time last night there was no more info, but it is good to see that there is some knowledge now. He is ringing the GAME this morning, hopefully we can get a replacement today.

KiteGr

They DID originally intended for us to go digital so...
...stuf like that are to be expected to "help" us make that decision...!

funny because I remember unboxing it and playing Nintendo Land 10min later without even connecting it to the internet

NinjaBoiX

the main reason why I always avoid launches. sucks for those affected
Basically yeah.

Fair play to you day 1ers who build up the launch user base and such, but I will always wait at least 6 months for new consoles, this stuff being one of the main reasons.

Jomjom

Banned
WTF Lite-On? MS spending money on the cooling solution this time, but cheaping out on the BD drive.

I wonder what brand of drive the PS4 uses.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
funny because I remember unboxing it and playing Nintendo Land 10min later without even connecting it to the internet
Hmm, interesting. So as long as you didn't want to use it online you could play straight away?

Not true at all. You can play without the day one update and play while the update. Downloads in the background. Compared to the ps4 and Xbox issues, the Wii u launch was better.
When following the initial startup procedures there did not appear to be a way to play while the update downloaded. I had to wait for a good 2 hours.

image_zps91a858c0.jpeg
bomba.

this post is not serious.

KiteGr

I don't know if I should show my support or Roll On Floor Laughing...

Well, hardware failures are common on console launch.

+Aliken+

Eh?
It worked fine out of the box what are you talking about?
You could at least play games without the need of a patch.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
yeah sure
Nintendo would be stupid as hell if they'd release a family console which doesn't work right out of the box.
Oh you're absolutely right and that's great that it works without a patch.

I simply remember following the setup procedure and being railroaded into updating online immediately and then waiting for 2 hours. It was frustrating when I just wanted to play.

DBT85

Awful sound but not likely to be widespread issue.

Don't understand how anyone can say that at this stage. It might just be because the Xbones were banged about a bit. It might be a batch of dodgy gears in the drive. We just don't know.

All we do know is that problems with hardware are normal.

Sandfox

Oh you're absolutely right and that's great that it works without a patch.

I simply remember following the setup procedure and being railroaded into updating online immediately and then waiting for 2 hours. It was frustrating when I just wanted to play.

You had the option to play while it was updating lol.

Duxxy3

Well this sucks. Hopefully microsoft has the same turnaround time that sony has.

Get these paying customers a working system.

Top Bottom